Your most hated 360 game that everyone else loved?

monkey island 2

i dont really hate this game but, it takes 3 hours to beat(less) has humor thats 20 years old. and at times was boring.

Very few games I've hated...

but GTA4 is easily at the top of the list! completely over-hyped soulless trash

Honorable mentions:

Devil May Cry 4
Oblivion
Burnout Paradise

Gears of War with a passion. My friend says I hate mains stream stuff. Which is true with some stuff.

Also Earth Defense Force 2017 and anything Final Fantasy

[quote name='IceBlueShoes'] Anything after Burnout 2. - I miss the simplicity and fun of Burnout 2. Seems the series got really complicated after that.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way about the burnout series. They ruined it with the whole open world thing. I think you would enjoy the new "Split Second". I honestly recommend it. It feels just like burnout in the old days but the graphics and sound and SICK.

As for the games everyone loved that I can't stand, jman619 nailed my list, with the exception of GTA, which I like. But Fallout, Bioshock and Mass effect are just S L O W as hell for me. (Let alone the first 2 feel so depressing and ............... Brown).

I'd also add the orange box, Bad company 2 and Oblivion

Braid was not enjoyable, and "getting it" didn't change my total lack of appreciation for how intentionally generic it was. The final level was cool but it didn't appear to have anything to do with anything. The connection between the metaphorical story and the actual story revealed at the end of the game was so disparate, and the writing for the metaphorical story was dense because it was self-interested and pretentious, not because it was good and rife with meaning and depth.

Assassin's Creed. I Played over 8 hours before realizing nothing really changes or happens in the game. I Kinda figured if 8 hours in I'd be almost done, so might as well get those extra achievements...

Another 10 hours later and I finally beat it and I hated every moment of it. Though may get the second one since everyone says it improves on it and I like acrobatic type games, but we'll see.

[quote name='elessar123']None of these are 360 exclusives, but...

I didn't hate Oblivion, but I couldn't get into it. I loved Icewind Dale / Neverwinter Nights / Baldur's Gate etc, but something just didn't click for me in Oblivion. Mostly the enemies leveling along with you. So if I hop around while traveling between cities, the mobs gain level? Really?

Braid too. I never really understood why it's so critically acclaimed.

GTA4 also.[/QUOTE]

The level system doesn't work that way, at least for enemies. You only gain level, technically, when you go to sleep and have to put points into categories. You could beat the game on level 1 if you were so inclined. I personally loved the way they leveled the enemies as you could go anywhere at any point of the game without the game telling you that you don't belong there. Once you fully understand how to completely max a character out in the game, it's quite easy to exploit. Before that point, it made it more of a challenge and you had to be mindful of your actions instead of mashing a button like you would in Neverwinter Nights

i myself will be always cautious in oblivion. i went into a cave. the cave was filled with locks and skeletons. i went into an area and the door behind me closed. i fought some skeletons and went to the locked gate to see that it was HARD. after 7 attempts (couple auto) i didnt get it open and was stuck. youd think i could load a prevoius save but at that time i only had one save and it was in that area.. so i have stayed away from this area since i made a new game

All 3 Halo releases (Resistance is better, fresher, and has better online. Halo wars is just not my kind of game), inFAMOUS (I know it's ps3-exclusive, but having to play a third time pissed me off. I needed to add this.), Trine (There's soon to be a port, supposidly), GoW 2 (Traded in halfway).

Only being able to play one of six 360s for 2 weeks really got in the way. Have only played 4 360 games, 2 on my own console, which is now in Microsoft's possession.

I've gotta go with Borderlands or Dragon Age. I may have too hyped up about these games when I was listening to too many podcasts at once. They all were talking about how fun Borderlands was and how epic Dragon Age was.

I gave Borderlands a good try, but without anyone on my friend's list of 100 playing it, I got a friend to come over for couch co-op. It was fun then, but he didn't get a chance to come back over soon and I lost interest. I tried playing single player, BORING and I tried playing with randoms on XBL but they didn't have microphones and just ran around doing whatever they wanted to. Not fun.

I felt like the game had almost zero story to keep my interests, it felt generic and the game fell flat for me.

Dragon Age, I just couldn't get into it, I wanted to like it.
I never got into my character much, I don't like multi tasking between characters and when I want to attack something, I want to feel like I'm in control of attacking. I didn't like just assigning my character to attack something and sit back and watch. I want to be in there pushing buttons each swing and etc. The graphics left a lot to be desired and looked dated already! After about 8 hours or so into the game and I never touched it again.

I'm still not sold on Halo 3, I played online for a while, but I never played the story through. I play a lot of CoD type games and really enjoy them. However, I just can't connect to the atmosphere and environment that are in the Halo games. I also feel detached from the main character because he doesn't have a face to express emotion and everyone looks the same online. However, this could change if I actually played the single player campaigns.

[quote name='timesplitt']i myself will be always cautious in oblivion. i went into a cave. the cave was filled with locks and skeletons. i went into an area and the door behind me closed. i fought some skeletons and went to the locked gate to see that it was HARD. after 7 attempts (couple auto) i didnt get it open and was stuck. youd think i could load a prevoius save but at that time i only had one save and it was in that area.. so i have stayed away from this area since i made a new game[/QUOTE]

you can "learn" how to pick very hard locks in the beginning of the game. If you get about 7 or so picks, just continue to load your game until you get the hang of it. It takes patience, but if you learn what to look for when you are picking locks, it becomes a breeze.

I like their lock picking in this game about 4 to 1 over Fallout's

Arkham Asylum. I mean, honestly, this game does nothing well. It tries to be a beat 'em up, adventure, stealth, etc. The problem is it doesn't do anything well. It tries to be a jack of all trades and ends up spreading thin.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']mass effect 2[/QUOTE]

Really? What didn't you like about it? The only thing that caught me off-guard was how watered down the RPG elements were but other than that just about everything was more streamlined. Even the combat was much more engaging and fluid.

Arkham Asylum. I mean, honestly, this game does nothing well. It tries to be a beat 'em up, adventure, stealth, etc. The problem is it doesn't do anything well. It tries to be a jack of all trades and ends up spreading thin.
Oh man, you're going to have to explain this one to me...

[quote name='eastshore4']Oh man, you're going to have to explain this one to me...[/QUOTE]

Sigh... Here we go again >.>

The first thing that struck out to me was Batman's voice acting. Sure, he's the original blah blah blah. It just doesn't sound good to me. Once it got down to the combat it was nothing more than XXXXXXXXXXX kill enemy, XXXXXXXXX repeat. It could have at least been entertaining to see like Assassin's Creed 2. Sure there's upgrades (most of which are useless BTW) that enhance combat but it doesn't change the fact that spamming X button gets the job done.

The stealth is really simple. I mean, there's no meter or anything other than "stay behind the enemy". There's no way to tell if a guy is going to see you squatting on a ledge above him. Sometimes you're going to get seen and other times you aren't.

The bossfights were a complete slap in my face. Each of them were nothing more than repeats of the (Brute?) enemies. They charge you, you hit them in the face with a baterang, they hit a wall, you jump on them etc. It was just lazy game design.

The game did have its moments. The environments were well realized. I also really liked the Scarecrow levels. It was good stuff.

I think one reason I "hate" it is because everyone rode its dick and I was expecting this gaming nirvana. It's just a mediocre game and nothing more, in my opinion.

[quote name='DrSodaberg']The worst part about ME2 was the squad AI.

No Miranda, that's a Heavy Mech.[/QUOTE]

Most games have bad team AI though.

[quote name='Ashesinfall'] Once it got down to the combat it was nothing more than XXXXXXXXXXX kill enemy, XXXXXXXXX repeat. It could have at least been entertaining to see like Assassin's Creed 2. Sure there's upgrades (most of which are useless BTW) that enhance combat but it doesn't change the fact that spamming X button gets the job done.[/QUOTE]

Not on Hard. I always find complaints like this amusing. If the game is too easy and your experience is suffering because of it, ramp it up a notch.

I do agree about the boss battles... beyond lame.

[quote name='Corvin']Not on Hard. I always find complaints like this amusing. If the game is too easy and your experience is suffering because of it, ramp it up a notch.

I do agree about the boss battles... beyond lame.[/QUOTE]

The game was meant to be played on normal. It has nothing to do with it not being difficult, it had to do with not being fun, you know, like a game is supposed to be?

These aren't 360 exclusives but...

I never really got into Guitar Hero or Rock Band. Maybe it's because I didn't like the songs, or that I know how to play guitar in real life, but I tried it a few times and never "caught the fever".

More recently, Assassin's Creed 2. I wouldn't say I hated it (I played it all the way through and really enjoyed it) but I think overall, I liked AC1 better than AC2, which seems to be contrary to the popular trend. I don't deny that there was some better gameplay mechanics in it but the cities just didn't feel quite as "alive" as the ones in AC1, and personal bias for the setting alone made me like AC1 better.

Oh and one of my absolute favorite parts of AC1 was those great philosophical discussions that the characters had in AC1 after you "killed" them- they really got into some deep stuff and they lasted a while. I even went back and played the missions again so I could hear the conversations again and understand them better. Whereas in AC2 they were barely more than 10 seconds apiece and had no real gravity whatsoever. Probably why I think I like Altair as a character better than Ezio too.

^ How did you "try" the music games? Game kiosks in stores? A couple songs at friends' houses? They really need to just be played for at least a few hours solo to grasp the mechanics. I didn't like them either when just "trying" them, aka a song here and there. Then a friend lent me a guitar & GHII and once I sat down to give it a spin on my own terms, it clicked.

[quote name='Ashesinfall']The game was meant to be played on normal. It has nothing to do with it not being difficult, it had to do with not being fun, you know, like a game is supposed to be?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If you aren't having fun on X difficulty, change it. Who cares what difficulty a game may or may not have been "meant" for.

[quote name='Corvin']^ How did you "try" the music games? Game kiosks in stores? A couple songs at friends' houses? They really need to just be played for at least a few hours solo to grasp the mechanics. I didn't like them either when just "trying" them, aka a song here and there. Then a friend lent me a guitar & GHII and once I sat down to give it a spin on my own terms, it clicked.[/QUOTE]

I played them at friends' houses during parties. I can't say how much time I actually played, but it was more than just a few songs' worth. I could tell after what I did play, it didn't click with me. I also think I am just not as into music as the average person is. Or at least not the music that they had on the games.

Ruahrc

I really hated Gears of War. Granted, I came to it a little late after all the hype, but I just never got into it. It's one of the few games this generation I just quit in the middle of.

Hmm. I have never understood this. You can equip them,issue follow/place/recall commands, make them target what you want, and order them to do damn near everything that isn't normal fire. They always work for me. I have never seen the problem with em'.

Fallout 3. It is too big. I can't grasp the concept of staying with the story, I ALWAYS get side tracked and explore. I have had it since it has come out and I still have not beat it. I love the game, but I can't play it for long because it gets boring because I explore and it is really big.

Gears of War (1&2)
Don't like gameplay, characters, story, multilayer. Everything is "meh to me"

Borderlands
Didn't really see the appeal and had trouble getting into it. Its a little better when I played co-op with my friend.. might try and play again sometime in the future.

dead rising: boring and tedious as hell!!!
all of the GTA games, so damn long and boring!!!
MW1 annd 2....shoot terrorists, move along on rails, kill more terrorists, dramatic cutscene, kill more terrorists....really boring.

[quote name='Corvin']^ How did you "try" the music games? Game kiosks in stores? A couple songs at friends' houses? They really need to just be played for at least a few hours solo to grasp the mechanics. I didn't like them either when just "trying" them, aka a song here and there. Then a friend lent me a guitar & GHII and once I sat down to give it a spin on my own terms, it clicked.

Exactly. If you aren't having fun on X difficulty, change it. Who cares what difficulty a game may or may not have been "meant" for.[/QUOTE]

You're not getting what I'm trying to say. In Assassin's Creed 2, for example, you do little more than mash X and maybe to spice thing up throw in a counter here or there. It's easy, but it's also fun. Cranking up the difficulty wouldn't help me because it just wasn't entertaining to watch. It's a little harder to explain in further detail, but I guess it was just more entertaining to watch Ezio be as acrobatic as he was in combat than it was seeing Batman rehash the same 4 animations.

The worst part of all was the story. You learned nothing huge that progressed the story (ok one thing...and it was not surprising nor epic). Compared to the first game with saren, the geth, sovereign, etc, this game was ridiculously boring. One important mission, 20 hours of stupid loyalty missions for characters who were nowhere near as good as the cast of ME1, final mission. Done. The ending was terrible.

I will take an incredibly epic and interesting story with buggy gameplay over that. Don't get me wrong, I completed it and did every side quest, but it was quite a chore. No fun involved. I honestly don't see how people liked it and I feel like I'm the only one who felt that way.

[quote name='Ashesinfall']You're not getting what I'm trying to say. In Assassin's Creed 2, for example, you do little more than mash X and maybe to spice thing up throw in a counter here or there. It's easy, but it's also fun. Cranking up the difficulty wouldn't help me because it just wasn't entertaining to watch. It's a little harder to explain in further detail, but I guess it was just more entertaining to watch Ezio be as acrobatic as he was in combat than it was seeing Batman rehash the same 4 animations.[/QUOTE]

I will say this about Batman:AA's combat. The way you're describing it, you weren't doing it right. You weren't fighting the way the developers' intended. But that's not your fault. That's the fault of the developers because there was little motivation (besides one's own personal drive to explore combat mechanics) to actually take advantage of how the combat worked.

If they spiced things up and gave more incentives for doing combo bonuses, including bat gadgets into your combos, etc, etc, instead of just an exp bonus... or even if they just made the game a little harder, explained the combat better... I dunno. I didn't understand how the freeflow combat really worked until halfway through my first playthrough, and based on watching others play, it was the same way for them. That's just poor explanation on the part of the developers. And that's unfortunate since the combat was actually really unique.

[quote name='GuardianE']I will say this about Batman:AA's combat. The way you're describing it, you weren't doing it right. You weren't fighting the way the developers' intended. But that's not your fault. That's the fault of the developers because there was little motivation (besides one's own personal drive to explore combat mechanics) to actually take advantage of how the combat worked.

If they spiced things up and gave more incentives for doing combo bonuses, including bat gadgets into your combos, etc, etc, instead of just an exp bonus... or even if they just made the game a little harder, explained the combat better... I dunno. I didn't understand how the freeflow combat really worked until halfway through my first playthrough, and based on watching others play, it was the same way for them. That's just poor explanation on the part of the developers. And that's unfortunate since the combat was actually really unique.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days. I did get into how "Deep" the combat could be but just didn't see how throwing B or Y into a combo was useful when mashing X seemed to have the same effect. Like I said, it's not a bad game. I just found it to be mediocre but I hate it because everyone else jacks off to it.

I just found it to be mediocre but I hate it because everyone else jacks off to it
This is what I don't like about these "what games do you hate that others don't?" threads... it too often drifts off into not just disliking the game, but tacking on some barb about the people that DO like it.

I don't get how you enjoyed AC2's combat but found AA's to be bland. You (correctly in my opinion) note that they're both centered around one button with occasional parrying/countering, but then you skip ahead and say that AC2 is just more fun while ignoring what we were looking to have answered in the first place; what made it more fun? IMO AA clearly gives you more to do in combat than AC2... you're required to counter or parry much more often in AA and you can actually land your main attacks, in AC2 you pound on the attack button and they block nearly every strike, so you have to sit back and wait a second or two for one of the enemies circling around you to take a swing. AA blended offense AND defense, but AC2's combat seemed entirely defensive. Not to mention how all of the group fights where your allies joined you were rather silly... all you did was walk up behind an enemy who's fighting with an ally and stab him in the back! You wanna talk about a game not giving enough motivation to do cooler things?

I did get into how "Deep" the combat could be but just didn't see how throwing B or Y into a combo was useful when mashing X seemed to have the same effect
I think you're missing the purpose that B or Y actually served, they weren't combo modifiers or anything, they were stuns. "Mashing X" doesn't have ANY effect on certain enemies until you stunned them first, so it actually was kind of crucial. That's the thing, the fighting is really centered on the x button so you're right in a sense, but this whole "you just have to mash the x button" stuff seems to willfully skew what is actually required of the player. My idea of "mashing a button" (and I'd imagine most people would share it) is something akin to Kingdom Hearts II, just tapping away for five minutes until the deed is done without any real other input required... you can't do that in AA though, you're always needing to dodge or parry, to stun or strike.

[quote name='eastshore4']This is what I don't like about these "what games do you hate that others don't?" threads... it too often drifts off into not just disliking the game, but tacking on some barb about the people that DO like it.

I don't get how you enjoyed AC2's combat but found AA's to be bland. You (correctly in my opinion) note that they're both centered around one button with occasional parrying/countering, but then you skip ahead and say that AC2 is just more fun while ignoring what we were looking to have answered in the first place; what made it more fun? IMO AA clearly gives you more to do in combat than AC2... you're required to counter or parry much more often in AA and you can actually land your main attacks, in AC2 you pound on the attack button and they block nearly every strike, so you have to sit back and wait a second or two for one of the enemies circling around you to take a swing. AA blended offense AND defense, but AC2's combat seemed entirely defensive. Not to mention how all of the group fights where your allies joined you were rather silly... all you did was walk up behind an enemy who's fighting with an ally and stab him in the back! You wanna talk about a game not giving enough motivation to do cooler things?

I think you're missing the purpose that B or Y actually served, they weren't combo modifiers or anything, they were stuns. "Mashing X" doesn't have ANY effect on certain enemies until you stunned them first, so it actually was kind of crucial. That's the thing, the fighting is really centered on the x button so you're right in a sense, but this whole "you just have to mash the x button" stuff seems to willfully skew what is actually required of the player. My idea of "mashing a button" (and I'd imagine most people would share it) is something akin to Kingdom Hearts II, just tapping away for five minutes until the deed is done without any real other input required... you can't do that in AA though, you're always needing to dodge or parry, to stun or strike.[/QUOTE]

I stated that AC2's combat was just all around more entertaining to watch. It also force you to block as opposed to AA's constant X mashing. I see where you're coming from though.

I never said you "HAD" to mash x, just that I found it to be the overall more useful than anything else. Also, I only occasionally blocked or stunned enemies. I just XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[quote name='Ashesinfall']I never said you "HAD" to mash x, just that I found it to be the overall more useful than anything else. Also, I only occasionally blocked or stunned enemies. I just XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX[/QUOTE]

I don't think you played the same game everyone did...

Oh and since were doing games from other consoles I might as well another.

Heavenly Sword. fuck I hated that game. HATE! Within 15 minutes I got bored of the battle system and then the motion control portions. Goddamn, this made me hate the game to a new goddamn level. Aim the cannonballs at the small ass targets? Toss these hats at these gongs at the same time to open a door? fuck YOU!

[quote name='elessar123']I don't think you played the same game everyone did...[/QUOTE]

I guess not, because I really didn't see what all the fuss was about.

bread's done
Back