Your Old School GOTY

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
What oldschool games have you gone back and played this year that you would consider old school Game of the Year? It can be a game you never played before or one that you revisited and remembered how awesome it was. One more thing, try to stay away from saying Mega Man 9. I know it's great but I want to hear "old" games.

For me it's Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. I got into a Metal Gear craze during summer for MGS4 and decided to finally play and beat the orginals. I played this off the Subsistance disk and I was shocked. It was way ahead of it's time. Many innovative gameplay elements that we saw in the orginal MGS took directly from it's predacesor. For example warping a key by freezing and heating, diffrent sounds by punching a wall means you use C4, a CODEC support crew that gives you tips, and avoid making noise by walking on certian surfaces. The story & music was amazing for an old 1990 game.

Final Fight. I just played through the arcade version on the Capcom Collections. I forgot how great the game was, and it was cool to play as Ryu and get the extra level. The storyline was simple and solid, the characters colorful and gameplay was great.

The Lurking Horror

I remember playing the game but I don't remember playing the game, if that makes any sense to anyone but myself. The good thing about text adventures is that they never really age. I had quite a bit of fun playing it. Big ups to Strell for giving the link to the site

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

[quote name='pyoobez']Final Fight. I just played through the arcade version on the Capcom Collections. I forgot how great the game was, and it was cool to play as Ryu and get the extra level.[/quote]

Ryu??? You mean Guy, right?

Panzer Dragoon Saga is great. I'd love to play and beat that again. Can you throw any copies my way JEKKI? ;)

This is a great idea.

For me... shoot, I dunno... I mean, I played through Xenogears again, Chrono Trigger again, Shenmue 1 and 2, the Jet Set Radio games, and a lot of other really excellent stuff, and I played through Persona 2 for the first time.

For me, it's a boring pick - just Xenogears, which was already one of my favorite games ever. It's better now that I understand it.

though the runner up would either be the Shenmue games or Persona 2. I really love the methodical pacing of Shenmue, and like that it's more about talking to people/adventuring than punching fools in the jaw. There's just not enough games like that. With Persona 2... I dunno, it's just a great RPG that does everything right.

So that's my top 4... what a frustrating number that is for a top list.

From what I remember Persona 2 was one of the most challenging RPGs I played on the PS1. Did you find it difficult or did you breeze through it.

[quote name='Rodimus']From what I remember Persona 2 was one of the most challenging RPGs I played on the PS1. Did you find it difficult or did you breeze through it.[/QUOTE]

Parts of it were really tough, though some of those situations were easier to get through after you pick your personas more effectively. Overall, I'd say it's probably about as tough as Nocturne... maybe a little less since enemies couldn't get an extra hit for exploiting your weaknesses and because you can save anywhere (which is a feature I sorely miss in SMT games now.)

Super Punch-Out!! on the SNES. It had been years since I'd played it, and it's still as fun as it was back in the day. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nintendo does with Punch-Out!! on the Wii.

Person 3 FES. Wow I heard a lot about this game and so I got it. It's one of the best and most immersive RPG's I have ever played. I'm on level 36 of the dungeon Tartarus and it's been a lot of fun. The game is not perfect by any means but it does a lot of things right.

So my vote for Old School GOTY goes to P3 FES. :applause:

[quote name='Rodster']Person 3 FES. Wow I heard a lot about this game and so I got it. It's one of the best and most immersive RPG's I have ever played. I'm on level 36 of the dungeon Tartarus and it's been a lot of fun. The game is not perfect by any means but it does a lot of things right.

So my vote for Old School GOTY goes to P3 FES. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Man, I know it's on the PS2, but Fes is like... a few months old.

Old classic game I played before- Tie between Rocket Knight Adventures and Little Nemo: The Dream master.

New classic game I never played- Doremi: Fantasy (Snes import for VC).

[quote name='fart_bubble']The Lurking Horror

I remember playing the game but I don't remember playing the game, if that makes any sense to anyone but myself. The good thing about text adventures is that they never really age. I had quite a bit of fun playing it. Big ups to Strell for giving the link to the site

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/[/QUOTE]

Good one.

Mine would be Shadowrun (SNES)

Banjo Kazooie.

I never played it back in the N64 days, but got it free with my N&B preorder.

Easily one of my favorite 3D platformers now, topped only by the Mario games. I collected everything there is to get in the game and got all 200 gamerpoints for the first time in an XBLA game.

[quote name='evanft']Is Half Life 2 old school yet?[/quote]

Hmmmm, IMO I wouldn't call it old school yet. I beat this for the first time earlier this year and freakin loved it, and I'm not a big FPS fan. Still haven't beat Episode 2.

Does Space Invaders Extreme count? That would be my dark horse game of the year anyway.

I think I played FF7 and 9 this year like always. Other than those 2 the only thing I can think of is Chrono Trigger. FFIX gets the win from me.

Didn't have time to play a whole lot of retro this year, but my favorite was Lufia 2. Despite some bugs with the game, it was an amazing RPG. It's really hard for me to understand how that game was so unknown during the 16-bit era. It could easily stand toe-to-toe with any RPG of that era.

I finished quite a few GBA ports/remakes of classic RPGs this year. Earlier it was Tales of Phantasia, and a few days ago, it was Final Fantasy VI Advance, my first time finishing these games.

However, I gotta give the GOTY title to Mother 3. It's got an excellent storyline, quirky humor, great graphics and sound, and a fun battle system. But since Mother 3, having only been released for a few years, probably doesn't count as "old-school" yet, I'll give the title to Final Fantasy VI. Granted, I did like ToP, but FFVI's music, storyline, and characters, especially Kefka, gave it the advantage. I enjoyed it enough to go through all of the late-game side-quests, including hunting Brachiosaurs for Celestriads, learning Lores and Rages (Despite neglecting Strago and Gau for most of the game), and making the Paladin's Shield. Loved the Dancing Mad segment that played during the final battle.

Got Super Mario RPG on the VC, had only played it in very short amounts via emulatron 9000's and thought it was a little boring. Playing it on the Wii, however, has somehow made it more entertaining.

[quote name='Cao Cao']I finished quite a few GBA ports/remakes of classic RPGs this year. Earlier it was Tales of Phantasia, and a few days ago, it was Final Fantasy VI Advance, my first time finishing these games.[/quote]

I also beat Final Fantasy VI for the first time this year. I must've started up 3 or 4 games in the past 10 years only to quit near the end. It's like that movie you never got around to watching and everyone is shocked that you're the only one in the room who hasn't seen it yet. For a SNES game the ending was epic. I'm glad I was finally able to beat it. I understand why this is one of the most praised RPGs ever.

GB/GBC
-Super Mario Land 2
-Tetris
-Wario Land 3
-Mega Man In dr wilys revenge
-Super mario bros deluxe
-Pokemon Yellow
-Harry Potter and the chamber of sercrets (GBC)
-Dr Mario

GBA:
-Pokemon Firered
-Metroid Zero Mission
-kirby nightmare in dreamland
-Harry Potter And the prisonner of azkaban
-Lord of the rings:The third Age
-Super Mario Advance 4

[quote name='b3b0p']Couldn't decide between this or Pilotwings 64.[/QUOTE]

Ah, Pilotwings 64. That still remains one of my all-time favorite N64 games due to the fun, yet relaxing, sense of flight and freedom you have. It has yet to be matched to me, even by the PS2 game Sky Odyssey.

On another note, I finished another classic near the end of December. I played through the Sega CD version of Out of this World, "Heart of the Alien," which includes the original OotW, along with its Sega CD-only (Probably non-canon since the original programmer was not involved) sequel. After playing through both portions, I can see why the original game was so praised, and why its sequel is... not as praised. They hold up well, even today. Next I'll probably go through its spiritual sequel Flashback, which I heard is supposed to be good.

I never played Out of the World but I loved Flashback.

I still have Popful Mail that I need to beat. Magic Knight Rayearth is also on my list of games that I need to beat. Maybe I'll get around to those two this year.

Pokemon Pinball! I only got it in the last week of December ($0.45 on clearance at GS!) and I've been playing it nonstop ever since. It's so damned addicting, and really really fun.

My second vote would go to Donkey Kong 64. It was the first N64 game I had (got the Jungle Green bundle), and it's just as fun as it was 9 years ago. I only got about halfway through it, though, before I got sidetracked by my PS2. I'll get back to it one of these days.

I think 2008 might have been the first year in a long time that I *didnt* play it as I disconnected my Genesis for an extended houseguest, but a prime candidate for old school game of *any* year would have to be Street Fighter II / Super Street Fighter II.

As for an old school game I actually *played* in 2008, I'll go with the old PC free/shareware game "Dope Wars". I dont know why, but I can play that game for hours!

GOTY:

X-Men vs Street Fighter -- I've been playing the Saturn version for the last three days and it's still great.

Honorable Mention:

Desert Strike, Street Fighter II: NC, Samurai Shodown, Sonic the Hedgehog -- I hooked up the old Genesis and I couldn't stop playing it even though I just wanted to test it out.

Ill second Saturn X-Men vs. Street Fighter, I've owned it for years but played the crap out of it in Fall, which was my first semester of law school. The game is the right combinaion of a new experience each time with short gaming spurts. Saturn Marvel vs Street Fighter is a second place, I switched the two often. Honorable mention to Final Fantasy IV DS and Dragon Warrior IV DS, would have easily been game of the year if I was able to play them consistently, however, my work then law schedule made playing these choppy experiences.

The old school game of the year that I never played until last year would Dracula X for the PC-DC (may have played this in '07 when i aquired it, I dont remeber). Def the best one of the best in the series, glad I did not succumb to playing the PSP version first.

So far, for this year, Soulbalzer (SNES) is my old schol of the year, battery in it needs to be replace I think, played it a few times so far and enjoying it. As far as old school games I have played before, I think I will play through Crystalis again this year, as that game ages better every time I play it and it has been a few years since I have.

I also hope to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, I've had it for a few years and have never played it.

I've been playing Pacman recently, and finding that I really, really suck at it. It's so iconic and nostalgic I just assumed I must be able to play it half way decently. Not in the slightest. I'd love to play donkey kong again but can't find my NES cart (have been looking for it since watching King of Kong repeatedly).

Played before: In the wake of the Chrono Trigger DS remake, I went back and played Chrono Cross (also partially to test the remote play between my PSP and PS3). It was even better than I remembered.

Never played: Not TOO old a game, but I finally played the first God of War.

Out of all the older games I played last year, I'd have to say my GOTY was Mega Man 2, which I played full through for the first time last year. It's easily my favorite NES game, and favorite Mega Man game, previously passing up River City Ransom and Mega Man X. But then I'd have to give runner up to River City Ransom, as I vastly enjoyed my playthrough of that last year, and it's always a treat to sit and play that game.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Not enough PC lovin'.
Might and Magic VI.
Baldur's Gate I.[/quote]

F'sho.
I played five or six complete campaigns of Master of Magic last year. That game is still great. Why won't somebody make a sequel or something? Alpha Centauri and Civilization just don't compare for me.

I've been planning to go through the whole Baldur's Gate experience again. Want to try out the mod they have where you can play through the first one and Sword Coast using the BG2 engine. Sounds awesome.

[quote name='whoknows']Rocket Knight Adventures!![/QUOTE]

Agreed on this one. This game simply rocked.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Kid Chameleon, easily. Finally beat it without using warps. Best Game EVER![/QUOTE]wtf u beat Kid Chameleon?!?!?!?!

how long did it take you, 14 years??

bread's done
Back