Your own personal Retro Renaissance?

ViolentLee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
I'm experiencing a retro-game renaissance. There are several possible reasons, I had a lot of PayPal to blow from eBay auditions, and felt classic/collectory games were worth money I got from selling new crap. My 360 crapped out, and I was left wanting to play something more...reliable. It could be that we're in a summer release glut, or that sequels to beloved series have disappointed. Whatever the case, I'm currently playing and buying lots of old-school games.

Dawn of Mana. Children of Mana. They both blow, so I went back to the source and have been playing Secret of Mana. Damn, that's still a sweet game! The music rocks balls, the action is tight, and the AI helpers don't even annoy me like they did when I was a kid.

Before it crapped out, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was the game I was playing most on my 360 -- even though I beat it a bajillion times on PSone. I'm on the verge of another Deus Ex PC playthrough, and have been seriously eyeing my copy of Tomba for PSone.

One of my recent eBay finds was Kirby Super Star for SNES, and I'll probably play that post-Mana. I never had that back in the day, but haven't really loved either Kirby Squeak Squad nor the Kirby/Amazing Mirror for GBA so I'm looking for it to reignite my flame of passion for that pink puffball.

Shadowrun as a multiplayer-only FPS? Pa'shaw! On my hunting list is a good copy the SNES and/or Genesis RPG from back in the day -- the former I had rented, the latter I've never touched (they're different games, yo).

Super Metroid, Pokemon Snap, and Snatcher are probably going to get played again before I take the wrappers off of Command & Conquer 3, Godfather PS3, or Elebits.

I guess I'm fishing for some similar sentiments from the CAG community. Are you guys going back to old-school, and if so, what's your story?

I actually moved away from old school... I'd rather live in the moment with hot new stuff.

I'll still go back to some older things, occasionally, but I'm done shelling out big bucks for older games. I mean, I'm getting ready to play Far Cry soon, but half the reason is because of the new school effects they put in it like HDR :lol:

I had tons and tons of older games and just never touched them over all the new stuff that keeps coming out.

ViolentLee, go buy some old complete NES games from me on Ebay please, I'll cut you a deal ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']I actually moved away from old school... I'd rather live in the moment with hot new stuff.

I'll still go back to some older things, occasionally, but I'm done shelling out big bucks for older games. I mean, I'm getting ready to play Far Cry soon, but half the reason is because of the new school effects they put in it like HDR :lol:

I had tons and tons of older games and just never touched them over all the new stuff that keeps coming out.

ViolentLee, go buy some old complete NES games from me on Ebay please, I'll cut you a deal ;)[/QUOTE]

The nice thing about old-school games is that they hold their value. If I go out and buy Tenchu Z for $60, it's not going to be worth much after I get around to playing it. However, if I buy Lunar 2 Complete for PSone for $60 on eBay, it'll probably be worth the same amount in two years. Of course, few of us shell out $60 for new games, as we're all cheap asses, but I think my point is valid.

I'll look at your auctions, Roufuss, but A) I blew most of my PayPal fundage on Affliction shirts, and B) my NES is one of the few consoles that's in a box rather than being hooked up.

[quote name='ViolentLee']The nice thing about old-school games is that they hold their value. If I go out and buy Tenchu Z for $60, it's not going to be worth much after I get around to playing it. However, if I buy Lunar 2 Complete for PSone for $60 on eBay, it'll probably be worth the same amount in two years. Of course, few of us shell out $60 for new games, as we're all cheap asses, but I think my point is valid.

I'll look at your auctions, Roufuss, but A) I blew most of my PayPal fundage on Affliction shirts, and B) my NES is one of the few consoles that's in a box rather than being hooked up.[/QUOTE]

You make me sad :(

And actually, a lot of older games I've been selling aren't worth nearly as much as they were before the advent of the VC and remaking / porting all these games.

I paid $30 or so for a copy of DKC 3 (complete) a few years ago, I barely made $15 selling it on Ebay last month. TMNT 3 complete used to go for a good amount, I barely made $13 on it last month.

While other ones are worth way more than I imagined - $35 for a complete copy of Clu Clu Land? Wow.

It's hard to predict, but I do agree, new games take a nosedive in price for awhile, but eventually rise back up.

I've been building my old school collection up lately as well, mostly Nintendo stuff: N64, SNES, and NES. I have such fond memories of some games that I wish I hadn't sold them years ago. But how else is a kid supposed to pay for a new system ?? :D

I like new stuff or complete stuff in good shape and unfortunately that means Ebay - I hate buying stuff on Ebay. So I have been doing too much buying from there to try and get my childhood back...

Just be careful. I blew a ton on old stuff throughout college, and ended up selling 95% of it in the last year. Not every game you used to play was really good. Not every game your friends used to brag about having but you never got to play is good.

For me, even the quality stuff was just too much clutter. I'm far more content saving the best of the aboslute best and then just having a slimed down collection of newer stuff. Mostly I play, beat, sell. Only the rare game do I keep anymore.

I have found I really enjoy the hunt for old games, but once I find them I don't actually ever feel like playing them. I have a ton of N64 games and have been picking up SNES and PSone RPGS here and there, but I'm just not motivated to play them.

[quote name='daroga']Just be careful. I blew a ton on old stuff throughout college, and ended up selling 95% of it in the last year. Not every game you used to play was really good. Not every game your friends used to brag about having but you never got to play is good.

For me, even the quality stuff was just too much clutter. I'm far more content saving the best of the aboslute best and then just having a slimed down collection of newer stuff. Mostly I play, beat, sell. Only the rare game do I keep anymore.[/quote]

Yeah, good advice. That's why I am only targeting a select few, definitely going for quality over quantity for the old stuff. I learned the hard way with the PS2, GC, Xbox generation that all the mediocre games I buy for cheap (damn CAG) I will never play. For the PS3, 360, Wii games I have promised myself to not pick up the mediocre game becasue it's cheap - so far I 'm doing a good job, but games haven't gotten really cheap yet.

Your own personal retro renaissance(on the go) aka the PSP.

The nostalgia is worth it though. I still have my N64, SNES, and my Genesis and games.

BTW summer is always an awesome time to cut through a backlog or replay old classics before the fall/winter assault on the wallet.

Yes indeed. As you might imagine, I don't care much for the newer stuff. Its also all priced way the hell out there.

During the last B2G1 free sale, I bought the Sega Genesis Collection, both the Capcom Classics Collections and Taito Legends 2. The values in the classic collections are tremendous.

I'm also committed to clearing backlog until prices drop, of which I have several years worth.

I've beaten over 20 games this year, only 3 of which were released this year.

Hopefully the things that are new now will be more reasonably priced in a few years.

[quote name='Roufuss']And actually, a lot of older games I've been selling aren't worth nearly as much as they were before the advent of the VC and remaking / porting all these games.[/QUOTE]
That's true; it's tough to predict. My complete Mega Man X2 for SNES used to average around $65 on eBay, but now it goes for more like $25. Still, things like Secret of Mana, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD should hold their value -- so long as they stay in good, workable order.

[quote name='kell']I like new stuff or complete stuff in good shape and unfortunately that means Ebay - I hate buying stuff on Ebay. So I have been doing too much buying from there to try and get my childhood back...[/QUOTE]
Out of curiosity, what is it about eBay you hate? I personally really enjoy shopping on there, but I see some problems: not 100% accurate descriptions, high shipping costs, and the fact that it's a seller's market.

I don't mind overpaying on some stuff,when I realize that I'm basically using the equivalent of "store credit" from selling other games that I'd never play (Pirates Wii, .Hack/vol. 2, Test Drive PC).

[quote name='nyprimus4']Your own personal retro renaissance(on the go) aka the PSP.[/QUOTE]
Good call. The game in my PSP right now is Sega Genesis Collection, which I bought recently for $20 at EBgames.com even though I own it on PS2. By and large, though I never play collections as much as I think I will. The Capcom ones have especially gone underplayed for me.

I'm not one of those who bags on the PSP's original titles, mind you: Crush, Locoroco, and Metal Gear Portable Ops are all great games.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Out of curiosity, what is it about eBay you hate? I personally really enjoy shopping on there, but I see some problems: not 100% accurate descriptions, high shipping costs, and the fact that it's a seller's market.

I don't mind overpaying on some stuff,when I realize that I'm basically using the equivalent of "store credit" from selling other games that I'd never play (Pirates Wii, .Hack/vol. 2, Test Drive PC).[/quote]

The inaccurate descriptions is a huge problem with me. "Mint" to some people is much different than to others. Some are just a difference of opinion while some are meant to mislead.

I also don't like the way people bid. It seems the only way to bid and not over pay is to wait until the last minute. Otherwise, idiots bid like 20 times and inflate the price.

I don't mind the high shipping costs as I just take it into cosideration for the total price.

I sell games as well and use the same mentality as you. Well I bought game X for $15 and sold it for $30 so really my $30 game off Ebay only cost me $15. Not the best logic in the world but it makes me feel better (and is easier to explain to the misses) ;) . I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for new games but man, some of the prices of these games get ricidulous, over $150 for some NES games and $200-300 for some Mario games.

Lately I've been going back and replaying all of the classic LucasArt adventure games. So far I've had more fun playing games like Day of the Tentacle than any other game released this year.

[quote name='yukine']Lately I've been going back and replaying all of the classic LucasArt adventure games. So far I've had more fun playing games like Day of the Tentacle than any other game released this year.[/quote]I've been meaning to load Scumm on my DS or PSP and dig out my old LA adventure games from back home. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.

[quote name='daroga']I've been meaning to load Scumm on my DS or PSP and dig out my old LA adventure games from back home. Haven't gotten around to it yet though.[/quote]

Yeah, that's good fun. I was playing Maniac Mansion on my DS a couple of weeks ago.

I guess I just never stopped buying old games. I don't own a Wii, PS3, 360, or original XBox, but I own most of the heavy-hitters besides those.

The Sega Genesis is a cheapass retro gamer's dream right now. The carts are cheap as can be without being free (everywhere in my area, at least), and there are a ton of good titles that have never been rereleased. I have an SNES as well, but many of those titles command a premium due to extreme nostalgia.

The system that I think gets overlooked when people discuss "old school" gaming is the GBA. There are so many great titles for that system, spanning so many genres, that it's just insane. All in glorious 2D, and all portable OR playable on the big screen with the right equipment. I've got 76 GBA titles so far, without buying duplicates (games like the Mega Man Battle Network titles that come in two flavors), and there are STILL GBA games on my want list. :p

[quote name='darkwingduck13']The system that I think gets overlooked when people discuss "old school" gaming is the GBA. There are so many great titles for that system, spanning so many genres, that it's just insane. All in glorious 2D, and all portable OR playable on the big screen with the right equipment. I've got 76 GBA titles so far, without buying duplicates (games like the Mega Man Battle Network titles that come in two flavors), and there are STILL GBA games on my want list. :p[/QUOTE]
GBA does have a great library, but it's also got a ton of absolute junk. On top of that, my Game Boy Player is packed away with my 'Cube, so I won't be playing any of 'em on my TV.

[quote name='yukine']Lately I've been going back and replaying all of the classic LucasArt adventure games. So far I've had more fun playing games like Day of the Tentacle than any other game released this year.[/quote]
I've just started playing through Grim Fandango for the first time, and that game is awesome. Such great writing. Too many other games try to be witty and fail miserably. Tim Schafer is a bad ass.

[quote name='darkwingduck13']I guess I just never stopped buying old games. I don't own a Wii, PS3, 360, or original XBox, but I own most of the heavy-hitters besides those.

The Sega Genesis is a cheapass retro gamer's dream right now. The carts are cheap as can be without being free (everywhere in my area, at least), and there are a ton of good titles that have never been rereleased. I have an SNES as well, but many of those titles command a premium due to extreme nostalgia.

The system that I think gets overlooked when people discuss "old school" gaming is the GBA. There are so many great titles for that system, spanning so many genres, that it's just insane. All in glorious 2D, and all portable OR playable on the big screen with the right equipment. I've got 76 GBA titles so far, without buying duplicates (games like the Mega Man Battle Network titles that come in two flavors), and there are STILL GBA games on my want list. :p[/quote]

I agree! The genesis is a collectors dream right now. Games are cheap, tons of great gems, the golden era of EA, and several great rpgs. Better Action games then the Super and a better gamepad. I have over 120 Genesis games in my collection.

Thanks to Game Crazy clearing out their old games and pretty much getting bored with anything made after 2002, I've been playing old systems.

The one that's been getting much attention is my Dreamcast, only cause there's still a lot of games I'm still wanting to play.

But my SNES game collection has been expanding lately since I've decided to put $75 aside each paycheck for games.

I spent some time looking for Genesis games, and here's the problem: There are just way too many sports games! Lots of mediocre action games too, without much going "o the next level," as it were. With the Sega Genesis Collection, Beyond Oasis being on VC ,and since I already have King's Bounty, I don't see much stuff worth getting for it. Any suggestions? I have a pretty good grasp of what's out there, too, as I worked at a Funcoland back in '96 and '97 when we had a TON of Genny stuff.

I was 50/50 between it and the SNES back in the day, but I guess I'm all SNES now.

I have been really itching to play some 8-bit NES games. Today I finally broke down and bought those damn $40 wireless Generation NEX controllers at Hastings. Gonna try them out on Super Mario 3 tonight.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I spent some time looking for Genesis games, and here's the problem: There are just way too many sports games! Lots of mediocre action games too, without much going "o the next level," as it were. With the Sega Genesis Collection, Beyond Oasis being on VC ,and since I already have King's Bounty, I don't see much stuff worth getting for it. Any suggestions? I have a pretty good grasp of what's out there, too, as I worked at a Funcoland back in '96 and '97 when we had a TON of Genny stuff.

I was 50/50 between it and the SNES back in the day, but I guess I'm all SNES now.[/QUOTE]

Shadowrun
Landstalker
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Rocket Knight

This is a good start.

[quote name='Roufuss']Shadowrun
Landstalker
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Rocket Knight

This is a good start.[/QUOTE]
What's better -- Shadowrun SNES or Genesis? I've only ever played the SNES one and its real-time combat. I'll probably end up buying both before too long.
I've never been a Contra guy; never even played Contra III.
Castlevanias did nothing for me until Symphony's non-linear exploring. Again, I never even played Super Castlevania IV (though I bought it on VC)
Anyone play Crusaders of Centy? That looked Zelda-riffic, like Beyond Oasis. How about The Ooze?

Mmm... Rocket Knight Adventures is such a great game. I hope that once we start seeing non-SEGA Genesis games on the VC that'll hit.

Following up on those controllers I bought: Holy shit those controllers suck. The wireless works for a minute and then it cuts out consistently. This is on both controllers no matter what channel you select. The thumbstick feels really cheap and it makes noise when you press it. The buttons feel loose and they press in too easily (no resistance at all). I tried them with Mario 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2. Problems on both games. The "touch sensitive" start, select, turbo and slow buttons are absolutely AWFUL. I had to press the buttons like a million times to get them to register. Even when I press hard on them they don't work 9 times out of 10. I then switched back to the Nintendo brand NES original controllers and they played flawlessly. Nintendo reallly builds a good quality product that lasts for years and years *cough* Microsoft* I am looking at you.
Bottom line- Don't buy these controllers. They suck. I read some positive reviews that really didn't go in depth and thought they would be good but man was I wrong.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Following up on those controllers I bought: Holy shit those controllers suck. The wireless works for a minute and then it cuts out consistently. This is on both controllers no matter what channel you select. The thumbstick feels really cheap and it makes noise when you press it. The buttons feel loose and they press in too easily (no resistance at all). I tried them with Mario 3 and Ninja Gaiden 2. Problems on both games. The "touch sensitive" start, select, turbo and slow buttons are absolutely AWFUL. I had to press the buttons like a million times to get them to register. Even when I press hard on them they don't work 9 times out of 10. I then switched back to the Nintendo brand NES original controllers and they played flawlessly. Nintendo reallly builds a good quality product that lasts for years and years *cough* Microsoft* I am looking at you.
Bottom line- Don't buy these controllers. They suck. I read some positive reviews that really didn't go in depth and thought they would be good but man was I wrong.[/QUOTE]
I think that's the most often made mistakes by gamers: Buying controllers not made by the hardware manufacturer. Sure, ASCII and Logitech can make some good stuff, but I wouldn't drop coin on other companies' controllers -- even if it's just for the odd time a buddy comes by to play.

I remember working at Funcoland 10 years ago, and we had these off-brand controllers for every system. We sold them brand new, and about 5-10 bucks cheaper than the first-party stuff. We sales associates got a $2 "spiff" off them, but they really were junk. I'd say 1/3 got returned/exchanged.

[quote name='ViolentLee']What's better -- Shadowrun SNES or Genesis? I've only ever played the SNES one and its real-time combat. I'll probably end up buying both before too long.
I've never been a Contra guy; never even played Contra III.
Castlevanias did nothing for me until Symphony's non-linear exploring. Again, I never even played Super Castlevania IV (though I bought it on VC)
Anyone play Crusaders of Centy? That looked Zelda-riffic, like Beyond Oasis. How about The Ooze?[/QUOTE]

It's too hard to compare them, because they are two completely different types of games. One is story orientated, one is more open ended, like an early GTA before GTA was even a pipedream. Both are fantastic.

Contra Hard Corps is probably the best the series has ever brought out, imo.

If you like SC 4, you'll like Bloodlines.

The Ooze is fun for like 15 minutes and then it gets old - it's on the Sonic Mega Collection for PS2 if you own it.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Out of curiosity, what is it about eBay you hate? I personally really enjoy shopping on there, but I see some problems: not 100% accurate descriptions, high shipping costs, and the fact that it's a seller's market. [/quote]

Another reason I hate buying from Ebay. Just bought a new sealed N64 game off Ebay, a little pricey, definitely more than normally spend on a game. I get it yesterday and it is wrapped in a brown paper bag! The label was printed off of Paypal and barely attached.

The Rhino old school clearance got me back into playing retro. I got over 200 games for about $100 and have been playing retro for the most part since. My current concentration has been on harder to find old games such and the following is my current rotation (a little from each genre)
Ninja Gaiden - Sega Master system (its actually really good, Tecmo needs to put this in a compilation)
Phantasy Star - Sega Master System (only game that I am aware that has had a rerelease)
World Heroes Perfect - MVS (underrated fighter)
Castlevania Chronicles - PSOne (not as bad as I heard)
Raystorm - PSOne (best shooter this side of Treasure)

My NES has been getting a lot of play too, and I am about to replay Knuckles Chaotix.

[quote name='Otherguy676']The Rhino old school clearance got me back into playing retro. I got over 200 games for about $100 and have been playing retro for the most part since. My current concentration has been on harder to find old games such and the following is my current rotation (a little from each genre)
Ninja Gaiden - Sega Master system (its actually really good, Tecmo needs to put this in a compilation)
Phantasy Star - Sega Master System (only game that I am aware that has had a rerelease)
World Heroes Perfect - MVS (underrated fighter)
Castlevania Chronicles - PSOne (not as bad as I heard)
Raystorm - PSOne (best shooter this side of Treasure)

My NES has been getting a lot of play too, and I am about to replay Knuckles Chaotix.[/quote]
Phantasy Star hasn't been rereleased unless its part of a compliation im not aware of. I know Sega Ages, or some brand, was working on releasing updated versions of the Phantasy Star series, and may even done so in Japan, but not in the US.

I personally liked the Shadowrun for SNES better, but that may be because I had it when I was 13, and only recently got the genesis one and it looks like crap. Games of mention for Genesis to keep your eye on, especially on the cheap:

Toe Jam and Earl
MUSHA
Thunderforce II, III, IV
Revenge of Shinobi
Ghouls and Ghosts
General Chaos
DUNE Battle for Arrakis
Herzog Zwei
Phantasy Star II, IV NOT III
Contra Hard Corp (game is ridiculously hard)
Target: Earth

[quote name='kell']Another reason I hate buying from Ebay. Just bought a new sealed N64 game off Ebay, a little pricey, definitely more than normally spend on a game. I get it yesterday and it is wrapped in a brown paper bag! The label was printed off of Paypal and barely attached.[/QUOTE]
Good thing N64 games have such a hard case on th---OHWAITTHEYDON'T!!! That sucks. What game was it? Hopefully not Paper Mario or Ogre Battle.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Phantasy Star hasn't been rereleased unless its part of a compliation im not aware of. I know Sega Ages, or some brand, was working on releasing updated versions of the Phantasy Star series, and may even done so in Japan, but not in the US.[/QUOTE]
Phantasy Star 1 was on the GBA Phantasy Star Collection.

My retro fever is getting to the point that I'm even fishing for SNES games I didn't even like much in the first place, like Secret of Evermore. I believe it was developed at Square's Hawaiin studio. I also believe I rented it way back when and was disappointed.

[quote name='kell']Another reason I hate buying from Ebay. Just bought a new sealed N64 game off Ebay, a little pricey, definitely more than normally spend on a game. I get it yesterday and it is wrapped in a brown paper bag! The label was printed off of Paypal and barely attached.[/quote]

I hope you're doing a dispute on the item. Asshats like that don't deserve to be on Ebay.

Speaking of old systems, there's one system that it's a pain to find games for, the Sega Saturn. Seems no B&M stores carry them anymore and people online are wanting outrageous amounts for the very common stuff that's used(VF, Sega Rally, Bug). Even though the common stuff is the only games for the system I want right now. The only decent deal I gotten was Virtua Fighter 2 & Daytona USA for $8. At this rate, I'll finish my Dreamcast collection before I get half the games I want for the Saturn.

There's been one SNES game, I don't know why, I haven't been able to put down for a week or so. Bought it cheap and it's been sitting in a box for a few years, Gradius III. Sure it's in a few collection on PS2 & PSP and on the Wii VC, but I still prefer playing it on the SNES(slowdown and all).

[quote name='ViolentLee']Good thing N64 games have such a hard case on th---OHWAITTHEYDON'T!!! That sucks. What game was it? Hopefully not Paper Mario or Ogre Battle. [/quote]

There seems to be a lot of Paper Marios out there still sealed. I remember TRU had them for $5 if you could find them during a clearance a couple years ago. It was a banjo game. Banjo has a sentimental place with me as it was the first game my wife (then girlfriend) played together.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I hope you're doing a dispute on the item. Asshats like that don't deserve to be on Ebay.

Sure it's in a few collection on PS2 & PSP and on the Wii VC, but I still prefer playing it on the SNES(slowdown and all).[/quote]

When I saw the package I took pictures of it expecting to have to dispute it, but amazingly the game was in good condition. I should mention that there was a thin layer of buble wrap, but still. I did message him telling him that the packaging was not fit for an expensive game in a box; no response, image that.

I always liked the slowdown of the old school systems, makes them easier :D .

Actually, I recently refurbed a news I found, yes, FOUND. Works great and everything. I just bought all 3 mario games off ebay BOXED and my buddy last week actually found a copy of the coveted Tengen unliscenced version of tetris which is soooo much better than the one nintendo released. I am looking forward to playing all 3 mario games with my girl after next week. I too am still looking for a version of Shadowrun for the SNES cause the music in that game ROCKED! I would not mind a copy of CronoTrigger for the SNES but I have the PSone version of the game which is the same with some added videos. What I covet most though is my brand new sealed Panasonic 3D0 I purchased from a garage sale 4 years ago for $5 bucks. Even my dad goes "isn't that the system u wanted for christmas 12 years ago?" and even he recognized it lol. I will stop collecting classic games though when I get a boxed American Neo Geo but that is beyonf unlikely lol. Anyone here have one?

Sweet E*Master, what Mario games did you buy? Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, and Super Mario All Stars?

I reccommend that you pick up Contra 3: Alien Wars, awesome game, especially co-op.

[quote name='kell']There seems to be a lot of Paper Marios out there still sealed. I remember TRU had them for $5 if you could find them during a clearance a couple years ago. [/QUOTE]
That's how I got mine.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Speaking of old systems, there's one system that it's a pain to find games for, the Sega Saturn. Seems no B&M stores carry them anymore and people online are wanting outrageous amounts for the very common stuff that's used(VF, Sega Rally, Bug). Even though the common stuff is the only games for the system I want right now. The only decent deal I gotten was Virtua Fighter 2 & Daytona USA for $8. At this rate, I'll finish my Dreamcast collection before I get half the games I want for the Saturn.[/QUOTE]

Working at Funcoland, we had dozens of VF2s and Daytonas in paper sleeves, from when they were giving away those two (and some other game) free with the console purchase.

I've only owned two Saturn games: Christmas NiGHTS demo and Castlevania: SotN, and I traded/sold them for a tidy profit. It's one of the few consoles I've never owned.

[quote name='E*Master']I would not mind a copy of CronoTrigger for the SNES but I have the PSone version of the game which is the same with some added videos. [/QUOTE]
The load times kind of ticked me off, as they did on FF VI for PSone. Awesome game, though, and I'm sure I'll play it again.

[quote name='E*Master']What I covet most though is my brand new sealed Panasonic 3D0 I purchased from a garage sale 4 years ago for $5 bucks. Even my dad goes "isn't that the system u wanted for christmas 12 years ago?" and even he recognized it lol. [/QUOTE]

I got a 3DO from a buddy a while back, and only have 2 games. I've never actually plugged the sucker in. Is it worth digging out and picking up some stuff? Daedalus Encounter? That FPS in the haunted house?

Every few weeks/months I plug in one of the multiple SNESs I have. Before the virtual console was announced, I bought 3 used SNESs and boxed them all up. It's my absolute favorite system, I have over 100 games (including all the classics) and I want to make sure I can till play those games in 20 years.

Playing Contra 3 and Castelvania 4 on my Wii has been fun, but there are games that I know will NEVER show up on the VC (Super Mario All-Stars for instance) that I'd like to preserve.

My main problem though, is that the only TV I currently have in my apartment is a 50in HDTV, and while my PS3 looks great, the SNES through composite is a mess.

jalu put a tube TV in the corner and you'll be set. It doesn't matter the quality my sister's 14 inch tube TV with SNES and Super Mario World looks amazing.

My main problem with actual SNES games is them actually not working. I'm not spending $50 on a game on ebay to have it come to my house not working or not saving properly.

I have about 10 SNES games from when I was a kid but I'm not buying anymore. I'm going to have to resort to emulators because ebay scum aren't ripping me off.

[quote name='nyprimus4']My main problem with actual SNES games is them actually not working. I'm not spending $50 on a game on ebay to have it come to my house not working or not saving properly.

I have about 10 SNES games from when I was a kid but I'm not buying anymore. I'm going to have to resort to emulators because ebay scum aren't ripping me off.[/QUOTE]
I got a lot of used SNES games in the last couple of years, and can't remember any problems with them or their memory cards. They were a lot tougher than NES cartridges. I also have a leftover cleaning kit though, too.

Most of the money I earn from work I use to buy old/vintage games, systems, peripherals etc.
It's burning a hole in my pocket.

I picked up some more retro games from eBay:

I got a great deal on Shadowrun SNES, and received it yesterday ($15.50 shipped). It's got an amazingly crisp book and a dust cover. Only problem is pen on the front of the instructions.

Also won auctions for Dune Sega CD, which I've never played but am a big fan of the books; and Ranger X for Genesis, which I've also never played but looks interesting. Any opinions on these?

In playing news, I'm about 65% through with Secret of Mana, and got the wife playing Pokemon Snap while I watch like a Sherpa guide. There aren't many games as loved by game developers as Pokemon Snap, believe it or not.

bread's done
Back