Your worst game purchases in 2012

retrad

CAGiversary!
Well for me it would have to be Star Wars the Old Republic... bought it for $60 back in January cuz one of my friends was playing it... it was so generic and boring that I didn't even get past level 11 before my free time ran out and I cancelled.

Honorable mention goes to Diablo 3 for being 10 years in the making and taking everything fun about Diablo 2 and stripping it away. I haven't been that disappointed with a game since Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced... Now I paid $60 for this game too and its too bad I didn't realize you could get a refund on it until after it was too late for me.

Besides those two games though im perfectly happy with everything else I bought. Ace Combat Assault Horizon may have been bad but I only paid $14 for it which mitigates a lot of the disappointment for me at least.

guess there's alot of ways to look at since some buy a "bad" knowing the TIV "protects" them while others do it for pure profit.
I got Brink, Mindjack, DNF, Dealiest Warrior, Army Corp of Hell, Supremacy MMA so far but I'm sure there's a couple I'm missing

easily Duke Nukem...paid 4.99 for it at best buy and I felt like that was way too much! I felt so bad for the people that bought it at launch and for the people who went the extra mile and bought the collectors edition

Kingdoms of Amalur. Hated the combat system so much I couldn't push myself to at least play through it. Luckily I only lost $15 on that one.

Going to go against the grain here and say my worst purchase this year had to be Trials HD. Paid the full 1200 points, the points were even free via promos.

Hated that game.

Probably going to be Mage Knight for DS.

Haven't picked it up yet, but I will soon.

Pilotwings Resort was rather meh for the $6 I paid for it.

[quote name='Enuf']guess there's alot of ways to look at since some buy a "bad" knowing the TIV "protects" them while others do it for pure profit.
I got Brink, Mindjack, DNF, Dealiest Warrior, Army Corp of Hell, Supremacy MMA so far but I'm sure there's a couple I'm missing[/QUOTE]

cant complain about deadliest warrior it was free lol. even if it hasnt been played yet for some unknown reason.

i bought brink too but havent played it yet.

also i did buy mindjack for 3 dollars. it wasnt too bad. it could of been better. it would of been better if people you play online with werent dirtbags. even in the dead online community of that game the remaining players were dirtbags.

my regrets this year....are every game ive bought that has not been touched and gone into the infinite backlog of doom. i havent bought a game and played it this year and not enjoyed it.

I purchased one of the Professor Layton games last BF, oh my god that game was absolutely terrible, I know some people like it, but for me it was the worst game ever, literately. Seriously, if I want to do word problems, I will go get out my 5th grade textbook and not pay $17 for this piece of crap. The game is just one word problem to the next, with clicking through dialog inbetween, there is no actual game there.

I really, really don't want to relive my grade school days sitting in math class having to figure out insanely difficult word problems that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, playing a game is supposed to be fun, not remind me or give me nightmares about grade school math class.

I know I am being extremely harsh here, but this was just the biggest turd game I have ever seen in my life, but keep in mind this is just the opinion of one, so I am sorry for the rant. At least I was able to sell it and get my money back.

SoulCalibur V gets my vote.

I've always enjoyed the game because it was one of the few fighters I could pick up and play and then slowly learn moves and combos. I suck at fighters so that's pretty rare for me. But with SCV, it felt like a completely different game and simply didn't feel as a accessible as the others.

It might not be a bad game but I definitely regret getting it.

[quote name='SaraAB']I purchased one of the Professor Layton games last BF, oh my god that game was absolutely terrible, I know some people like it, but for me it was the worst game ever, literately. Seriously, if I want to do word problems, I will go get out my 5th grade textbook and not pay $17 for this piece of crap. The game is just one word problem to the next, with clicking through dialog inbetween, there is no actual game there.

I really, really don't want to relive my grade school days sitting in math class having to figure out insanely difficult word problems that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, playing a game is supposed to be fun, not remind me or give me nightmares about grade school math class.

I know I am being extremely harsh here, but this was just the biggest turd game I have ever seen in my life, but keep in mind this is just the opinion of one, so I am sorry for the rant. At least I was able to sell it and get my money back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, you just talked me out of buying one.

That wasn't sarcasm, if I want to do word problems I'll play Scrabble.

I'll say Spirit Camera for the 3DS, while it's a good game it's only like 3-4 hours long, and it was $40 so I was a bit pissed

I rarely buy games day 1 though unless they they drop in price like a week after

I can't really single out any one purchase and say it was the worst. I can say that I regret buying any game that I haven't played yet and has since gone down in price. Patience is a virtue that I apparently don't have.

SFxT, love fighters but I hate Capcom's sleazy business practices that ruin an otherwise good game.
Also, Agarest War 2... I enjoyed the first two enough to squeeze a bit of fun out out this one, but this was easily one of the worst RPGs I've ever played. It expanded on everything bad about the series and ignored the good elements. So sad because I loved the first one.

[quote name='theking20'] I rarely buy games day 1 though unless they they drop in price like a week after[/QUOTE]So many games drop on price so fast that it's perfect for day 1 buyers assuming you're buying from a store that gives you price protection. 64 days is from purchase week is the best you can get right now but that's generally more than enuf time to get at least $20 on HD games & $10 on portables. But nintendo games usually don't apply in this strategy unless it's purchased during the later holiday months.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']Street X Tekken!
I bought it new. And than 4 months later, i had to pay $20 more for characters, that were already on the disc.[/QUOTE]I adopted this strategy long ago.
1-Buy the game on release to get the DLC pre-order credit when available & play the hell out of it.
2-PM the game to get at least $20 of the $60 & sell the DLC
3-Trade it back in or sell on CL to get close to half value
4-If I really loved the game I may repurchase it when there's a true deal(clearance/DOTD/Coupon/BOGO)
5-Trade the 2nd one in for the best deal
6-Buy the GOTY/Complete @ $20-$30
In the end you either wind up paying $60 for the complete but CAG usually ensures you really pay more like $35.

[quote name='SaraAB']I really, really don't want to relive my grade school days sitting in math class having to figure out insanely difficult word problems that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, playing a game is supposed to be fun, not remind me or give me nightmares about grade school math class.[/QUOTE]

It's ok, we fully understand. Math is hard...

...for girls. :lol:

I've always been a big fan of Mindtrap ever since an Accounting teacher used a few of the more logical ones as bonus points questions on our exams.

[quote name='Jodou']Kingdoms of Amalur. Hated the combat system so much I couldn't push myself to at least play through it. Luckily I only lost $15 on that one.[/QUOTE]

lolwut! That was the only thing it had going for it. I can't think of a WRPG with a better battle system!

Mine would probably be Street Fighter x Tekken LE on launch.

Not only did it drop in price, but the game was a huge let down. It was SSFIV, but worse in every conceivable way. I don't usually regret purchases, so even though I have bought 150 or so games this year, that is probably the only one.

My worst purchase of 2012 so far is hands down Lego Batman 2, I felt so ripped off it was not worth $60 maybe $20 at most.

This is funny because I really can't think of any games I've actually played this year that I didn't like.
But I do regret buying way too many $1 android games that suck though.

El Shaddai

I loved it but I paid 40 for it and by the time I got around to playing it it dropped to below 20.

It hurts worse when it's games you like.

Least the dev got more outta me for the 40 though.

Hmm, probably buying ARMA 2 for Day Z. If you dont have a posse to roll around with the game is miserable. It was an interesting week or so if only for academic purposes. At least I know what it is now and can talk about it.

Maybe I'll give it a try when the next update comes out.

Kung Fu Rider for PS3. I had just gotten the Move controller and camera and wanted to get more than Sports Champions (which I liked a lot more than Wii Sports). I paid $6 and the game is very frustrating and repetitive.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']El Shaddai

I loved it but I paid 40 for it and by the time I got around to playing it it dropped to below 20.

It hurts worse when it's games you like.

Least the dev got more outta me for the 40 though.[/QUOTE]

But if was under $20 in 2011... at New Egg. Only know that because I caved when it hit that price.

[quote name='Enuf']So many games drop on price so fast that it's perfect for day 1 buyers assuming you're buying from a store that gives you price protection. 64 days is from purchase week is the best you can get right now but that's generally more than enuf time to get at least $20 on HD games & $10 on portables. But nintendo games usually don't apply in this strategy unless it's purchased during the later holiday months.

I adopted this strategy long ago.
1-Buy the game on release to get the DLC pre-order credit when available & play the hell out of it.
2-PM the game to get at least $20 of the $60 & sell the DLC
3-Trade it back in or sell on CL to get close to half value
4-If I really loved the game I may repurchase it when there's a true deal(clearance/DOTD/Coupon/BOGO)
5-Trade the 2nd one in for the best deal
6-Buy the GOTY/Complete @ $20-$30
In the end you either wind up paying $60 for the complete but CAG usually ensures you really pay more like $35.[/QUOTE]

Enuf - I wish I knew what you did to have so much free time. The amount of time spent doing all those things would net me WAAAAAY more than $25 after taxes if I just worked my normal job.

[quote name='kingtrojan']My worst purchase of 2012 so far is hands down Lego Batman 2, I felt so ripped off it was not worth $60 maybe $20 at most.[/QUOTE]

The positive is that the game was never $60, so there you go. It was only $50 at launch and through most stores it could be had for $30-$40 due to credit deals/discounts. Not sure where you paid that much for it.

In contrast, while the set up to play from the Hub changed for this game compared to the other LEGO games, I quite enjoyed what I have played so far from that game.

My worst this year would be Family Feud. Really sad because even as crappy as it was, I didn't think it'd be that crappy. Very much a grind and sad.

And while I definitely got me $3-4 out of it DOUBLE FINE HAPPY ACTION THEATRE was also not much of a game for what it was. Though in the end, I don't hate it and didn't over pay. But I doubt we'd go back to it again.

[quote name='kingtrojan']My worst purchase of 2012 so far is hands down Lego Batman 2, I felt so ripped off it was not worth $60 maybe $20 at most.[/QUOTE]

Had you ever played a Lego game before? Because I can't imagine someone who had feeling that much differently about LB2. It's one of the best Lego games so far.

Army Corps of Hell is definitely on my list. I bought it full price (30?) and thought it was awesome at first! (What isn't awesome about Pikman with gore and metal music) Then realized that the game had pretty much 3 music tracks and a bunch of repetitive enemies.

[quote name='Kerig']I've always been a big fan of Mindtrap ever since an Accounting teacher used a few of the more logical ones as bonus points questions on our exams.[/QUOTE]

MindTrap is the shit!

I love that game. Once a week at school that was our lesson for the day, logic puzzles and Mindtrap.

Probably Syndicate. I only paid $40 on release day but I just didn't like the game at all.

Runner up is probably Gotham City Impostors. Only $15, seemed kind of fun, but I barely ended up playing it, and the community seems to have dried up at this point. I had a couple of friends who bought it at the same time and we were planning to all play it together but it just never came together for some reason.

Worst game purchase of 2012 for me would be Final Fantasy XIII-2 CE

Still have not touched it yet and the game drops in price like 2 months after it comes out and after 4 months...ish, the CE becomes pretty cheap. Overall....I could have waited for this since I still have not touched it yet.

SF x Tekken CE, got it for $60 new but lost $35 after trading it in when Rolento glitch happened. Getting it back w/25th Anniversary though.

2nd is Max Payne 3, only lost $10 & 10k in GS rewards points on that one.

I love me some professor layton. Played all but the newest game. Hell even my parents like that game, and they never play video games.

Some puzzles were really challenging and took me 20-30 min to do, most I could get through within 3 min or less.

It was good IMO because it was such a casual game, you could really take your time and go at a slow pace. BTW not all the puzzles are math or word puzzles, I never felt like it was too repetitive.

Would highly recommend Prof Layton. Would suit casual gamers very well imo.

Dark Sector and the first Motorstorm for me on the PS3. Dark Sector, I just couldn't get into the game. Motorstorm was horrible for me after I had previously played Arctic Edge on the PS2.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Kung Fu Rider for PS3. I had just gotten the Move controller and camera and wanted to get more than Sports Champions (which I liked a lot more than Wii Sports). I paid $6 and the game is very frustrating and repetitive.[/QUOTE]

Glad I didn't pick this one up, so thanks for warning me ahead of time, even if it was just a couple dollars on clearance, I probably would have hated it.

Pre-ordered resident evil operation raccoon city special edition ... cost me with shippin $85 bucks... shitty game..

[quote name='VenomA7X']sorry this isn't from 2012 but I can still feel the burn to this day. Soul Calibur 4 launch day, $60 plus tax.[/QUOTE]

I bought it a week after release for $44. I didn't feel it was worth that price.

I paid to much for Resistance Burning Skies. It isn't a terrible/bad game but it isn't worth what I paid for it. Recently I saw it cheaper I should have waited.

[quote name='VenomA7X']sorry this isn't from 2012 but I can still feel the burn to this day. Soul Calibur 4 launch day, $60 plus tax.[/QUOTE]

I bought it a week after release for $44. I didn't feel it was worth that price.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 was the worst purchase this year. The Playstation Vita version that is. I love everything about it except everyone online rage quits. That isn't as much of a issue in the ps3/360 version. I love UMVC3 in general but the people online in the Vita make me regret buying it. Capcom added replays to the Vita version but took out the rage quit system ps3/360 had.

Of course it's not worth $60, because it's $50. And if you paid $60 instead of $38ish as a CAG, you did it wrong.

I actually haven't bought very many games this year compared to the past few years. Looking back, my biggest regret was Sorcery. Bought it at $38, and it was worth maybe $15. Second one is Gungnir, only because it dropped to $20 so damn fast.

PS Vita. Paid like $600 at launch for it and most of the launch games, played Rayman and Uncharted for a while, but got sick of it real quick. Haven't turned it on since probably April... I guess I'm just not as into portable systems anymore, plus the no PS Classics support until recently really turned me off.

[quote name='pksellers']PS Vita. Paid like $600 at launch for it and most of the launch games, played Rayman and Uncharted for a while, but got sick of it real quick. Haven't turned it on since probably April... I guess I'm just not as into portable systems anymore, plus the no PS Classics support until recently really turned me off.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's so much. In the future only get one or two that you HAVE to have with it. Those all dropped SO fast!

[quote name='pksellers']PS Vita. Paid like $600 at launch for it and most of the launch games, played Rayman and Uncharted for a while, but got sick of it real quick. Haven't turned it on since probably April... I guess I'm just not as into portable systems anymore, plus the no PS Classics support until recently really turned me off.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand how you could dump $600 into the vita at launch. The first few weeks most retailers had a B2G1 free sale. Did you buy every single game and multiple memory cards?

Not money-wise, but disappointment-wise mine is Kingdoms of Amalur. I put 25 hours into the game and I felt like it was never getting better. At least I got $20 in trade credit from Gamestop.

I actually really enjoyed the game but $60 for Enslaved at launch was a bit painful after it the $5 mark. I think I did at least get a $25 gaming coupon from Kmart with the purchase.

bread's done
Back