Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 1 28.96 pre-order Amazon

Wow, it went up to $40? When I posted the link a month ago it was $32.

And Amazon lowered this one for me too. Yay.

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure why you are shocked at amazon lowering it. they advertise that they do it automatically on everything.

that said Im in for it.

does anyone know what version of the show this is? yes i know the true wet dream would be the japanese uncut version but this isnt that God awful 4kids edit is it???

Yea, it's the original edited dub. The Japanese version can never be sold outside Japan, unless they mute every line said by Shunsuke Kazama.

Kazama plays Yami Yugi.

Also, NewVideo doesn't have the budget to redub a 200 episode series and Konami wouldn't let them even if they had the money.

Yea, it's the original edited dub. The Japanese version can never be sold outside Japan, unless they mute every line said by Shunsuke Kazama.

Kazama plays Yami Yugi.

Also, NewVideo doesn't have the budget to redub a 200 episode series and Konami wouldn't let them even if they had the money.
But... the 4Kids Uncut DVDs had the Japanese dub on them.

When 4Kids was airing the subbed version on their YouTube channel (long, long after the uncut line), a little known clause was discovered in the original contracts that doesn't allow Kazama's performance to be broadcast or sold outside Japan. This only affects Duel Monsters and not GX, the movies, or anything else.

Unfortunately, one of the companies that could control this didn't renew the contract so getting out of the contract would take a lot of legal wrangling, which few companies would even bother with.

EDIT: Full story - http://ravegrl.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/4kids-youtube-removal-of-yu-gi-oh-episodes-was-due-to-nonrenewal-of-japanese-voice-actors-contract-by-adk/

Legal issues or not, I don't think 4kids would of ever released the original sub anyway (on DVD).  The anime has so many edits and cuts that the sub would of been removed altogether to begin with.  I don't need to be reminded that they tried re-dubbing the anime once (which I admit was an admirable move on their part) and things didn't work out, but to get to my point, this release is only for nostalgia.

I love the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series as much as the next guy,  and I know that the license will probably abandoned if 4kids (or whatever they call themselves now) finally dies .  But eh, enjoy it while you can I suppose.  

I'll just be the sad guy who wishes we lived in in an alternate reality where a full uncut version of the anime exists (legally) and that the goofy 4kids cast redubbed the whole show because they all add a weird energetic vibe to the anime.  And it's a guilty pleasure.  

4Kids got out of the anime business a long time ago. Konami owns the rights now, which is why the series is being released at all.

4Kids got out of the anime business a long time ago. Konami owns the rights now, which is why the series is being released at all.
I assumed only as much. I always had a feeling that Konami or whoever was in charge of Yu-Gi-Oh! wanted 4kids off of it. I did a little reading since I know the series are still being dubbed here (all of those silly spinoffs and whatnot) and I found the name "4K Media". I know that's Konami, but did they buy the 4kids cast/crew for dubbing anime?

I assumed only as much. I always had a feeling that Konami or whoever was in charge of Yu-Gi-Oh! wanted 4kids off of it. I did a little reading since I know the series are still being dubbed here (all of those silly spinoffs and whatnot) and I found the name "4K Media". I know that's Konami, but did they buy the 4kids cast/crew for dubbing anime?
They're using the same cast, but just contracting a different studio like when TPCI took over Pokemon.

And it wasn't that they didn't renew their contract or anything. 4Kids was initially sued because they weren't reporting all their profits to the original licensors, then declared bankruptcy and sold off all their anime properties. That's why the Saturday morning block is Vortexx now, because Saban's in charge.

bread's done
Back