Yu-Gi-Oh! Coming Back to DVD

DNukem170

Banned
Here is a pre-order link for the upcoming Season 1 boxset of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I am assuming it contains the entire Duelist Kingdom Saga.

This set is being released by the same people who are releasing the Digimon sets, so expect a relatively bare bones, dub-only release.

EDIT: It is also being released in parts like Digimon Season 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vash1306']So glad I didn't bite on the Funimation released set that is OOP and going for $200+ xD[/QUOTE]

Not to mention this will likely save space too.

I just hope New Video will use standard-size cases instead of clamshells like the Digimon sets. This is 6 discs, so hopefully they will.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Uncut I hope?[/QUOTE]Hell, no. NewVideo didn't redub Digimon, what makes you think they would do it for Yu-Gi-Oh?

FUNimation is likely the only company that would even attempt to redub the series, but given that they didn't acquire the license, they figured it wouldn't be cost-effective. Especially since they would not be able to have the subbed version.

This is assuming Konami would even ALLOW an uncut dub. They likely see it as a waste of money.

That and the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise is targeted at kids. Kids need parents to buy cards, parents won't buy cards. If said card is linked to a show involving death, demonic, "sacrifices", and other stuff they might find wrong about it.

So safe thing to do is keeping it as is.

Always been a fan of Yugioh. Definitely locked in the price for season one. Will definitely keep buying the series if it gets released like the Digimon sets we are seeing.

[quote name='DNukem170']Hell, no. NewVideo didn't redub Digimon, what makes you think they would do it for Yu-Gi-Oh?

FUNimation is likely the only company that would even attempt to redub the series, but given that they didn't acquire the license, they figured it wouldn't be cost-effective. Especially since they would not be able to have the subbed version.

This is assuming Konami would even ALLOW an uncut dub. They likely see it as a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

4Kids tried a Yugioh uncut release and it tanked, only 9 episodes were ever released (and I stupidly bought them!)

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']4Kids tried a Yugioh uncut release and it tanked, only 9 episodes were ever released (and I stupidly bought them!)[/QUOTE]

They stopped making them because they didn't want them to overshadow the edited releases or some crap like that and they never released them since. I own the uncut ones they did release and I love them, just wished they finished releasing them.

Yea, sales were great for both Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King's uncut discs, but 4Kids' 4Kids-ness put a stop to that. Probably started 4Kids' decision to dump FUNimation as DVD licensor.

[quote name='nightmare452']Always been a fan of Yugioh. Definitely locked in the price for season one. Will definitely keep buying the series if it gets released like the Digimon sets we are seeing.[/QUOTE]

I notice in your tag that u live in md! Im from the area too.

I still got the 1st edition yugi deck. Cant wait to see this and revisit my magician!

[quote name='DNukem170']Yea, sales were great for both Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King's uncut discs, but 4Kids' 4Kids-ness put a stop to that. Probably started 4Kids' decision to dump FUNimation as DVD licensor.[/QUOTE]

Shaman King yet another series I miss terribly :( i'd love for them to reissue(and finish) that series... Also make it a bit more like the Manga I have all those Uncut releases and half of the original yu-gi oh releases from before they went oop.

P. S. Why must every post you make make me really tug at my wallet n heart strings lol

I actually liked the Yu-Gi-Oh! uncut discs. It was kinda of odd to hear the tv voices also working on the home releases too, but cool nonetheless. Such a shame, since Battle City is my favorite arc.

I hope they'll continue on to release Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.  That series is extremely corny and I love it more than the first series.  Only about 50 eps was released on DVD and the 4th season not even dubbed. 

link doesnt work? keeps linking me back here.

also they really should do an uncut version i am not sure i could stand rewatching the kids version at this point in time its entirely too corny and cheesy.

link doesnt work? keeps linking me back here.

also they really should do an uncut version i am not sure i could stand rewatching the kids version at this point in time its entirely too corny and cheesy.
Sorry. The code got messed up in the layout change. Should be fixed now.

Uncuts aren't going to happen unless a media giant like WB or Disney foot the bill. And even then, Classic would be dub-only. No subbed version of Duel Monsters can be sold outside Japan.

Also, Season 1, Part 2 is up for pre-order.

nightmare452 said:
Always been a fan of Yugioh. Definitely locked in the price for season one. Will definitely keep buying the series if it gets released like the Digimon sets we are seeing.
I notice in your tag that u live in md! Im from the area too. I still got the 1st edition yugi deck. Cant wait to see this and revisit my magician!
Yeah, I'm in MD. And I do still got my old decks too, but mine aren't the 1st edition most likely. I still use Jinzo on my deck.

I own all the season they released years ago on DVD. Looking forward to see if they rerelease them all, or start releasing new seasons of GX or 5Ds.

The old 4kids dub butchered so much that I can't even bother touching this set.  I can rant on all day about 4kids, but I sure all of you have already heard your fair share of rants about these guys.  I've already come to realization that the series in the states will never have:

1. "Season zero" or basically the season before the Duelist Kingdom arc

2. The original Japanese dub with English subtitles

3. A proper English dub (impossible lol)  - nostalgia or not, it's still bad and I typically enjoy most anime dubs these days and I'm not a "purist".

I've always wanted to finish the first series on DVD.  I watched most of season zero a couple of years ago subbed and it was wayyyyy crazier at some points then the duelist kingdom arc (the pharaoh is a badass).  

As for its spinoffs... they all seemed a little "eh" to me.  But just like this series, I've rather see them the way that they were originally intended rather than the edited 4kids version.  

Heres the cover for the first one.

91KzudWVjlL._SL1500_.jpg

I give props to New Video for doing well using stock art. Because heaven forbid NAS or whoever does the Japanese YGO DVDs make some actual legitimate cover art to use.

http://ravegrl.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/4k-media-konami-cinedigm-to-release-600-episodes-of-yugioh-on-dvd-blu-ray-digital-platforms/

Konami reveals that they plan on releasing GX, 5Ds, and Zexal on DVD. They also mention Blu-ray, but that is probably a localized version of the 3D movie since no way in hell Japan will allow this series to go on Blu-ray before them.

EDIT: Also, the cover art for the individual volumes have been released. Three of the four have Yami in the foreground with Kaiba, Pegasus, and Steve the Mime in the background looming over our hero. Volume 3 is different, as it has...Mai in the foreground. With Marik looming over her. Yea...

If it is like the Digimon DVD release, it might be better to wait for the entire Duel Monsters series collection, since they ended up bundling Digimon season 1-4 in one giant set.

Edit: Got my Yu-Gi-Oh! First Season DVD the other day and it's pretty nice. Haven't had time to watch it yet though.

bread's done
Back