ZACK & WIKI! 300k Sold! BUY!!! $29.99 Now! IGN: 9.0! 1UP: 9.0! NP: 9.0! GS: 8.5!

[quote name='trq']Hey man, you're posting in a Zack & Wiki thread -- obviously you're not that limited in your genre preference. ;)[/quote]

He justs like to be heard. Nothing to do with genre preference.

If you found the opening "too easy" - please proceed to World 2. Have fun, don't bitch. Puzzles OWN for now.
, well, kinda...

[quote name='trq']Hey man, you're posting in a Zack & Wiki thread -- obviously you're not that limited in your genre preference. ;)[/QUOTE]

I do have reasonably broad tastes, there's just certain genre's I don't like at all like RTS, MMRPG, most J-RPGs etc.

I'm not big on point and click adventure games (too slow paced for my taste) but this is getting such great reviews I'll definitely have to check it out at some point in time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I do have reasonably broad tastes, there's just certain genre's I don't like at all like RTS, MMRPG, most J-RPGs etc.

I'm not big on point and click adventure games (too slow paced for my taste) but this is getting such great reviews I'll definitely have to check it out at some point in time.[/quote]

I wouldn't suggest it man. You'd end up gamefaqs'ing the entire thing and only end up getting half the playtime of everyone else.

I wonder if you can...
Buy a hint and restart your Wii, and keep doing that until you solved the whole thing.
Now, that wouldn't quite change things - but it WOULD make you a little bit less of a cheater...

So far, the game is AWESOME. If any hardcore adventure fans really hate this one - I'd love to hear why. I promise that I won't argue.

[quote name='MarioColbert']I promise that I won't argue.[/quote]
Then why are you holding that knife behind your back?

[quote name='vgossain']Wait, was it GameCrazy that had the puzzle or Gamestop? I have some credit at GameCrazy, so I'll buy it there if I can get the puzzle. Otherwise, I'll wait for that TRU 20% off coupon.[/QUOTE]My Game Crazy had the puzzle. It was holographic and had a magnetic back. Its also flat enough to probably fit in the case, when I get it.

I'm in the third area, but I've been going slow, getting everything everywhere...
Still, the most I get our of a level is 70% - any info my way would be appreciated, just don't spoil puzzles!

If it wasn't for a few somewhat annoying control issues (making Zack run where he needs to - the game would be beautiful with the mouse, but if you press A one too many times, Zack's pathfinding gets "kkrazy!"
or whenever Zack is in the water!
) I'd say the game is pretty much perfect for now.

Puzzle Highlights of World 2:
The Crystal Key Level - beautifully done, despite the obvious simplicity of the mechanic. I've tried to also go woot about one particular touch of this level, but it is impossible to mention it without spoiling the solution, and this isn't this kind of spoiler...

The Boss Battle is a classic, although I died about 10 times in a row. Probably the most exciting way to implement that classic dumbass game mechanic.

Getting the frog in that Chandelier stage - you know you're going to need that damn frog pretty much from the first frame of the level. The solution to the puzzle is elegant, logical, and bad ass.

Least Favorite Puzzles So far:
What's the deal with the "push a button and you're now dead?" - that's Sierra's trademark, isn't it? Really annoying, since in some cases YOU CAN NOT TELL what's going to happen.

Bell-ing the dude that's running away from the bull. The dialog surrounding that puzzle is straight up misleading in a mean way.

I wasn't aware you could just walk the fuck up to the boss and ring your bell - that's not adventure enough for me. my way, you got to lead the meanie the wrong way, and then step on a loose plank, and then ricochet some shit off of some other shit, and then bam - done! Zack & Wiki is like: ring the bell elsewhere, and you'z fucked - ring it right next to the boss - that's the puzzle there! The puzzle was called "where iz ur testikkliez?"

Can anyone actually play those rhythm mini-games where you have to shake the wiimote at just the right time? I'm finding them to be nigh on impossible as shaking a wiimote is so imprecise and you need to time it very well. I mean I'll usually get a green light followed by a red light or two, so Ill start moving it less and then it won't register at all. I just don't get it. And without giving too much away, can anyone tell me if you need to beat those to "complete" the game 100% or do they just effect stuff like your score?

It seems like a pretty great game so far, but I'm finding the Wii controls rather fidgety and awkward. I also hate the concept of having to buy more lives. I could sort of understand that in something like Devil May Cry, but in a puzzle solving adventure game it seems really out of place and adds to unnecessary tedium. Don't get me wrong, it's otherwise a great game, and I look forward to playing it more as the puzzles are fantastic.

Just finished putting about an hour and a half into Zack & Wiki. Man, I'm diggin this game. I'm still in the first area, on the puzzle with the giant fish. I screwed it up somehow but yeah, I was grinning the whole while.

This is a really great game that shows some serious love. I'm taking a break with some Clubhouse Games Billiards now.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Can anyone actually play those rhythm mini-games where you have to shake the wiimote at just the right time? I'm finding them to be nigh on impossible as shaking a wiimote is so imprecise and you need to time it very well. I mean I'll usually get a green light followed by a red light or two, so Ill start moving it less and then it won't register at all. I just don't get it. And without giving too much away, can anyone tell me if you need to beat those to "complete" the game 100% or do they just effect stuff like your score?[/QUOTE]

i'm having the same trouble you're having. a rhythm game with motions needs to be a little more forgiving in my opinion. the whole thing seemed a little out of place.

[quote name='botticus']You're just mad that you have to buy it now.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. And I went to another Gamecrazy Weds night and they have no idea when they are getting it, if they are getting preorder bonuses (no one preordered it there), or just about anything for that matter. Not only do I have to buy this game, but it isn't being made easy to do (at least somewhere I have credit - not forking over $40 in cash even if this got solid 10's).

I hadn't checked this thread in a day - amazing how far back I had to look to find your response!

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Can anyone actually play those rhythm mini-games where you have to shake the wiimote at just the right time? I'm finding them to be nigh on impossible as shaking a wiimote is so imprecise and you need to time it very well. I mean I'll usually get a green light followed by a red light or two, so Ill start moving it less and then it won't register at all. I just don't get it. And without giving too much away, can anyone tell me if you need to beat those to "complete" the game 100% or do they just effect stuff like your score?

It seems like a pretty great game so far, but I'm finding the Wii controls rather fidgety and awkward. I also hate the concept of having to buy more lives. I could sort of understand that in something like Devil May Cry, but in a puzzle solving adventure game it seems really out of place and adds to unnecessary tedium. Don't get me wrong, it's otherwise a great game, and I look forward to playing it more as the puzzles are fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It's user error. Check your setup or something. I had no problems and finished the mini-game on my first try.

If you're talking about the first music mini-game, I had no issues outside of just bad timing on my part at certain points. When it was just a simple beat I had no problems.

Played the first stage with my 3.5 year old son and he had a blast (I did also). I can't wait to play more. This game was off my radar untill the reviews were so high.

It looks like the price pretty much everywhere is $39.99. So i'm turning to my 10% coupons. I've seen one in somoene's sig for EB/GS and I have one for Target via BRP. I guess I'd really like to get it from BB and use my rewards card but I can't find a BB 10% coupon. Any other suggestions for I take the plunge at Target?

This game is one of th best gams I have played in a long time. This jumps up into my number 3 spot of best Wi games so far (Twilight princess and Sonic being 1 and 2)

It looks beautiful with such colourful environments and fluid animation. The game is just fun and the controls are very resposnive and intuitive.

If you don't own this yet get it now!!!

I almost feel bad I only paid 36 bucks of GS credit for this. I would've been happy paying full price for a game of this caliber.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I wouldn't suggest it man. You'd end up gamefaqs'ing the entire thing and only end up getting half the playtime of everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm not much for gamefaqs or guides. It's more likely I'd get stuck or bored with it, as I have with other adventure games, but that's why it's a rental first for sure.

Unlike some genres like RTS, I don't feel like I've played enough adventure games (I think only 3 over the years--Myst, Full Throttle and Phoenix Wright) to totally write the genre off as something I just don't like at all yet. Especially with it being on the Wii and thus involving more than pointing with all the motion stuff which looks pretty cool.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nah, I'm not much for gamefaqs or guides. It's more likely I'd get stuck or bored with it, as I have with other adventure games, but that's why it's a rental first for sure.

Unlike some genres like RTS, I don't feel like I've played enough adventure games (I think only 3 over the years--Myst, Full Throttle and Phoenix Wright) to total write the genre off as something I just don't like at all yet. Especially with it being on the Wii and thus involving more than pointing with all the motion stuff which looks pretty cool.[/quote]

I hated Myst. If there was ever a game that served no point than to be eye candy. Phoenix Wright on the other hand is love. :bow:

[quote name='Zen Davis']I hated Myst. If there was ever a game that served no point than to be eye candy. Phoenix Wright on the other hand is love. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hated Myst as well. Phoenix Wright was just ok to me. I played all the way through it, but I was pretty sick of it about halfway through.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I hated Myst. If there was ever a game that served no point than to be eye candy. Phoenix Wright on the other hand is love. :bow:[/QUOTE]

You know I wouldnt even call Phoenix wright a true adventure... maybe I didnt get far enough yet in the first one but it reminds me of a mixed genre of game rather than a full blooded adventure.

Myst was nothing more than eye candy and the thing that annoyed me is it was not fluid from one scene to the next... maybe i just prefer 3rd person adventures over myst and its clones.

dmaul,

Then in my opinion you have yet to give the genre a fair shake (full throttle is a good one thougha nd it seems you had no problems with it). Even go to AGS and download the Kings quest 2 remake (its free) and see if you like the genre before you write it off. Zack and Wiki appears to be more in line with what I consider true adventure games, although i have yet to play it.

According to Capcom:

"It's being carried by pretty much all of the majors nationwide and our day one numbers were not insignificant (though they could always be higher), but if you're having trouble finding it, Wal-mart took a large order and likely won't be swamped by first day pre-order customers. It may take them a couple extra days to get it on the shelf, but they should have plenty to go around when it starts trickling into their stores (I'd assume by Friday/Saturday in most cases)."

[quote name='Snake2715']You know I wouldnt even call Phoenix wright a true adventure... maybe I didnt get far enough yet in the first one but it reminds me of a mixed genre of game rather than a full blooded adventure.
Myst was nothing more than eye candy and the thing that annoyed me is it was not fluid from one scene to the next... maybe i just prefer 3rd person adventures over myst and its clones.

dmaul,

Then in my opinion you have yet to give the genre a fair shake (full throttle is a good one thougha nd it seems you had no problems with it). Even go to AGS and download the Kings quest 2 remake (its free) and see if you like the genre before you write it off. Zack and Wiki appears to be more in line with what I consider true adventure games, although i have yet to play it.[/quote]

Phoenix Wright is what I would refer to as an interactive book than an adveture actually.

What I hated about Myst was the game felt to have no rhyme nor reason as to what the hell you were doing. It just served to look pretty (and contained nothing I would consider gameplay) and sold millions of copies.

I think Zack and Wiki will be almost like Megaman Legends meets Indiana Jones meets Oddworld (PSX)/Out of This World/Flashback. I'm getting my copy today so I haven't had a chance to play it, but what I can gather from impressions, reviews and trailers, you have to get through a series of challenges (ala Indiana Jones) to get the treasures (using the art design of Megaman Legends) and the guess and check puzzle aspects of Oddworld, Out of This World, and Flashback.

Is there any more detail about the jigsaw preorder bonus?

My wife preordered it this week at our local Gamestop without me knowing and she didnt get anything when she picked it up.

[quote name='Snake2715']
dmaul,

Then in my opinion you have yet to give the genre a fair shake (full throttle is a good one thougha nd it seems you had no problems with it). Even go to AGS and download the Kings quest 2 remake (its free) and see if you like the genre before you write it off. Zack and Wiki appears to be more in line with what I consider true adventure games, although i have yet to play it.[/QUOTE]

Full Throttle was ok. My main problem with adventure games is that they're too slow and passive for my short attention span. :D I prefer games were I have full control of the character and spend most of my time shooting, slashing or jumping on bad guys. :D

But I'll definitely have to check out that Kings Quest 2 remake sometime sense it's free. Thanks for the tip!

I love all the old LucasArts games...still have all my original copies. And the Sierra ones, as well. Those are the games I grew up with.

I just got back w/ my copy of Z&W. Probably won't have a chance to play it until this weekend. though.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Just finished the first area with a 70%. Would my percentage go up if I replayed previous areas better/faster?[/quote]Hard to say if that means more stages will pop up in that area later or if it means there are treasures and whatnot still hidden. I know I missed some already, but I need to beat the boss before I find out what percentage I finish with. But I have to work for 3 more hours until I can do that.

I really hate the King's Quest series, despite the obvious awesomness of KQ6 and marginal "pioneering" value of KQ5. KQ4 is probably my favorite, actually, now that I think about it, though that game is a BITCH.

I was fine with MYST - as long as you've read every book in the library, the complete owner's manual, and four novels on the subject, you should have no confusion whatsoever as to where you are, why, and what the point is.

No, just kidding, MYST blew, and I loved it.

Zen: there is ONE way to explain Zack & Wiki. It's basically Goblins 3 (a.k.a. GoblinsQuest in the U.S.), except all the screens are cingular, and you only have one sidekick. Gobliiins, Gobliins2, and Goblins3 were all bad-ass, and some of my favorite games as a kid - developed by Frenchies Cocktel Vision... Also, I should mention that the last game they made makes Zack & Wiki look like the easiest shit in the world. It's called Woodruff and Shnibble of Azimuth, and it plays about the same as what it sounds like.

And if you want to get into Adventure games, all you really need to know whether or not you're a lost cause is to go down this list:
  • day of the tentacle
  • the secret of monkey island
  • space quest iv (though I'll always be The Pirates of Pestulon guy)
  • grim fandango
  • the longest journey
Call us in a month, dmaul, we're rooting for you.

[quote name='botticus']Hard to say if that means more stages will pop up in that area later or if it means there are treasures and whatnot still hidden. I know I missed some already, but I need to beat the boss before I find out what percentage I finish with. But I have to work for 3 more hours until I can do that.[/quote]

I beat two areas so far. One with each level getting an "Unpuzzleable" rating (highest possible). The other area, everything but one level has the "Unpuzzleable" rating. Both show up at 70%. I've replayed the levels, in hope of finding something new. Unless someone has the guide to explain how to get 100% on levels, I'll be replaying my shit as much as possible.

[quote name='The Crotch']Monkey Island II didn't do much for me[/quote]

BLASHPHEMY! :)

MI2 is my favorite of the series, by far. I do love MI1 and I like MI3 allright. Enough to own it on 2xCD!!! :)

Am I the only person that is finding it impossible to find this game?

Today I checked these stores:

Best Buy = Nope

Circuit City = Nope

Gamestop = Nope

Gamestop #2 = Nope

Walmart = Nope

Target = Nope

This is rediculous!

[quote name='MarioColbert']
[*]the longest journey[/LIST]Call us in a month, dmaul, we're rooting for you.[/QUOTE]

A month? I wouldn't even get to any of those games till probably mid spring 2008 at the earliest. :lol:

I'll only venture out of my favored genre's during droughts, and I've got two years of 360 games to catch up on plus upcoming releases on it and the Wii. :D

But I may check out one of those (or the free Kings adventure remake) before then, if nothing else I could play when I feel like gaming and my roommate is watching TV.

[quote name='The Crotch']Monkey Island II didn't do much for me[/quote][Slaps The Crotch with a glove and throws it at his feet.]

[quote name='MarioColbert']Gobliiins, Gobliins2, and Goblins3[/quote]Those games were great.

Picked mine up at GameCrazy. Apparently nobody had preordered it at that location (not surprising to me, it wasn't even on my radar). I figure I'll give it a try, since I haven't played a game in this genre since Myst. :whistle2:#

I'm aware that I can purchase online, but I didn't want to wait for it to ship here.

I thought I would be able to pick it up day one but no one in my area has it.

I will try again tomorrow.

Did anyone play the Legend of Kyrandia series? The first one was the best of the bunch but I thought they were pretty good. Actually some of my favorite PC point and click games. I also liked Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Though that one was frickin tough.

Edit: Zack and F'n Wiki. Why I love adventure games and why I hate adventure games. I get frustrated easily though :)

[quote name='dmaul1114']Full Throttle was ok. My main problem with adventure games is that they're too slow and passive for my short attention span. :D I prefer games were I have full control of the character and spend most of my time shooting, slashing or jumping on bad guys. :D

But I'll definitely have to check out that Kings Quest 2 remake sometime sense it's free. Thanks for the tip![/QUOTE]

I meant to write AGD... but heres the link. I would think the KQ2 remake is much better than KQ1 remake... partly due to the fact that KQ1 is arguably the first adventure game ever (non text based) and so the remake had a lot less to work with. KQ2 remake is really a great example in my opinion.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/

Hers a picture visually what they did to the game... keep in mind now your playing a literal antique at about 20 years old...

feature-kq2-00.jpg

Ooh Kyrandia... Yeah have the collection and loaned out game 3... never even played it. Luckily I found the 3rd cd case and game at a thrift store a year or two ago, which completed my boxed collection again. I liked those games back in the day. Actually to this day Adventure games are by far my favorite genre... although there have been many other great moments in many other genres.

Someone help me? What is this thing?
I tossed over a rock and a mechanical bird of sorts is just hanging aroud. I click on it but nothing happens and I can't find anything in the manual.

Stand under the bird, and RING YO BELL. Ring it long, and keep running after it - it'll rain moneys on you. Barbaros' skull gives you the hint about that, btw...

MC Faith in Humanity Awards 2007 (a.k.a. Humanity MUST KNOW ITS ADVENTURE GAMES, so says MarioColbert, so it is written!):

eugaet wins hard for knowing the Gobliiins series. Thank you, I really did think I was the only one...

schuerm26 wins hard for Kyrandia reference. I thought the best game in the series was Malcolm's Revenge. However, Hand of Fate is what I discovered the series with, and I really love it to this day - the female protagonist that magically changes outfits is funny and wrong... And I really loved the spell-making aspect of the game. The first one, however, is hard-core. Grandpa turns to stone, you're on your own... SHIIIIIT!

Tybee said exactly what I wanted to say, but enough people think of me as a dickhead thanks to my wonderfully idiotic input to the Manhunt 2 discussion.

I really wanna get ahold of Discoworld NOIR - it's the only one in the series I have yet to play. And naturally, from what I hear it's the best...

[quote name='MarioColbert']
Stand under the bird, and RING YO BELL. Ring it long, and keep running after it - it'll rain moneys on you. Barbaros' skull gives you the hint about that, btw...

MC Faith in Humanity Awards 2007 (a.k.a. Humanity MUST KNOW ITS ADVENTURE GAMES, so says MarioColbert, so it is written!):

eugaet wins hard for knowing the Gobliiins series. Thank you, I really did think I was the only one...

schuerm26 wins hard for Kyrandia reference. I thought the best game in the series was Malcolm's Revenge. However, Hand of Fate is what I discovered the series with, and I really love it to this day - the female protagonist that magically changes outfits is funny and wrong... And I really loved the spell-making aspect of the game. The first one, however, is hard-core. Grandpa turns to stone, you're on your own... SHIIIIIT!

Tybee said exactly what I wanted to say, but enough people think of me as a dickhead thanks to my wonderfully idiotic input to the Manhunt 2 discussion.

I really wanna get ahold of Discoworld NOIR - it's the only one in the series I have yet to play. And naturally, from what I hear it's the best...[/quote]

Going back to Kyrandia, the 2nd and 3rd might have been better, Im really struggling to distinguish 2nd and 3rd, but the first got me with the box art. That box was bad ass when I was younger for some reason. I remember the first because of tossing different gems down a well or something of the sort and then having to go through some caves. Damn I loved that game though.

Box art coming in a minute. Not a great pic as it was much brighter in person.

untitled.jpg

[quote name='MarioColbert']eugaet wins hard for knowing the Gobliiins series. Thank you, I really did think I was the only one...[/quote]You realize what you've done, right? Yeah, I'll have to replay all of them again now. And introduce my kids to the series...so when they're my (our?) age, they will be the only ones...

Ah, that cover art brings back memories. Westwood Studios, RIP.

EDIT: Here's (what I think is) an obscure point/click adventure game...Touché. Anyone played that one?

The 2 Tex Murphy games I have played I always thought were pretty decent also:

Mean Streets (never played)
Martian Memorandum (great one)
Under a killing Moon (never played)
Pandora Directive (good)
Tex Murphy: Overseer (never heard of. got off wikipedia)

bread's done
Back