Zelda Breath of the Wild Special/Master Editions, Amiibo- Discussion

Anyone else get both Master and Special Editions considering cancelling one? Ordered both in case one went OOS while ordering, not sure what to do. Sword doesn't seem too great so far, and the Special Edition doesn't seem very rare. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100 investment for both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else get both Master and Special Editions considering cancelling one? Ordered both in case one went OOS while ordering, not sure what to do. Sword doesn't seem too great so far, <b>and the Special Edition doesn't seem very rare.</b> Not sure if it's worth the extra $100 investment for both.
I'm assuming you're saying this because it's still up for preorder at Bestbuy. Might I remind you that we're still in the first day after these were announced and 2 out of only 3 retailers carrying this has already sold out. Just because there's still one retailer that has it available on the evening of the first day does not make it not rare lol. Unless you're basically just comparing it to the Master Edition, we'll that one is on a whole new level of rare CEs for Nintendo.

I'm assuming you're saying this because it's still up for preorder at Bestbuy. Might I remind you that we're still in the first day after these were announced and 2 out of only 3 retailers carrying this has already sold out. Just because there's still one retailer that has it available on the evening of the first day does not make it not rare lol. Unless you're basically just comparing it to the Master Edition, we'll that one is on a whole new level of rare CEs for Nintendo.
I agree on the Master Edition completely, regardless of how the statue turns out it's going to be sought after especially if this game lives up to the hype. It could be a piece of paper with a crayon drawing of a sword, and if this game is as great as it looks, people will want to throw money at it.

Don't get me wrong, I am still SO pumped I got one, and a Switch. These can't come soon enough. Just curious to see how people are feeling the day after now they we have a more realistic view of exactly what these are.

Don't get me wrong, I am still SO pumped I got one, and a Switch. These can't come soon enough. Just curious to see how people are feeling the day after now they we have a more realistic view of exactly what these are.
If the technical specs and comparison footage come out and it turns out the Wii U Zelda is just as good as the Switch version, there could be a lot of trouble.

I'm fine with keeping the Special Edition as is, but one thing I'm curious about is why either edition have the Alternative Cover that the virtually same editions from JP have?

thanks! added some of the amiibo links to the OP.

weird that Wii and Gamecube are mentioned in the title...
Are the amiibos showing as order-able to others? Listing page says they are, but actual page says they are unavailable. Hopefully it just needs a minute to catch up if so.

Edit: Gone :( COME BACK AMIIBO

Double-edit: Guardian still available, but not with 20% prime discount. Strange.

If the technical specs and comparison footage come out and it turns out the Wii U Zelda is just as good as the Switch version, there could be a lot of trouble.
The only real difference looks to be resolution and load times, which is to be expected given cartridges just load faster. As for the resolution, with this art style, I'm not sure that will matter too much. Let's put it this way - IMHO, it's not worth an extra $400 (note this is because if I bought the Switch, I would HAVE to buy that pro controller again).

Here's the IGN bit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/14/zelda-producer-breath-of-the-wild-for-nintendo-switch-is-1080p

Didn't preorder a switch but what the hell I just got my Zelda SE order in. I'll get a switch eventually and who knows how long the SE will be available. It would have been awesome if they made the cart gold.

I should've ordered the Master Edition immediately :(

Any chance it'll come back in stock?
Nintendo said that when it's gone, it's gone. There's a small chance there will be some available at launch, but that seems very small. Snag the Special Edition while you can.

The only real difference looks to be resolution and load times, which is to be expected given cartridges just load faster. As for the resolution, with this art style, I'm not sure that will matter too much. Let's put it this way - IMHO, it's not worth an extra $400 (note this is because if I bought the Switch, I would HAVE to buy that pro controller again).

Here's the IGN bit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/14/zelda-producer-breath-of-the-wild-for-nintendo-switch-is-1080p
It's a shame they don't just upgrade the visuals in the Switch version, and leave the Wii U's gamepad features in. Have a little variety between versions. Seems strange the main item in the game is a leftover idea from a ditched gimmick.

Went ahead and pre-ordered the SE finally since it was still up. I hope to get the ME at some point anyway, but at least this way I'm assured the three things I want the most (the case, the coin, and the soundtrack). I also actually quite like the box better, oddly enough.

And since we're talking about Wii U version vs. Switch version: I actually plan to buy the Wii U version too. It's the version I want the most simply because I already have a Wii U, technicalities don't matter to me, and it will afford me the extra laziness of not having to get up in order to continue off tv gameplay. Say what you will about the console, that has been one of my favorite parts of it's design: being able to play right up until the minute a show is coming on tv, pausing, changing the video output/channel with the game pad, and resuming the game during the commercials.

Cool, Wii U owners getting the shaft here...  big surprise.  I hope the Switch is the last console Nintendo ever makes, but I guess I should thank Nintendo for saving me some money that they don't deserve anyway.

Nintendo should just stop calling themselves a video game company and call them selves a collectibles company. I can understand something selling out quickly but when it goes up at so early in the morning and sell out before most people wake up, that's just ridiculous. 

Even in the middle of the night it lasted a few minutes.  That's pathetic.  This is a hugely popular franchise, and if they made a lot more it would still sell out  Ridiculous how they made so few.

Went ahead and pre-ordered the SE finally since it was still up. I hope to get the ME at some point anyway, but at least this way I'm assured the three things I want the most (the case, the coin, and the soundtrack). I also actually quite like the box better, oddly enough.
Not odd at all, that's one of the main reasons I went for the SE over the ME. Aesthetics are a matter of opinion of course, but to me the ME box looks bland. That and I don't care for random statues/figures, so it was an easy choice..

well...you're not wrong

w93p282.jpg
I'm waiting for the day that you create a Donald Trump account on here and just troll all day with these.

Nintendo should just stop calling themselves a video game company and call them selves a collectibles company. I can understand something selling out quickly but when it goes up at so early in the morning and sell out before most people wake up, that's just ridiculous.
It's like they're allergic to money. The money scalpers will make on ebay fleecing their fans isn't going into Nintendo's pockets. If they had made more they could have positively made a killing, just as surely as if they had made more NES Classics and dumped them all three days before Christmas. But no. Nintendo literally won't let me give them my money.

It's like they're allergic to money. The money scalpers will make on ebay fleecing their fans isn't going into Nintendo's pockets. If they had made more they could have positively made a killing, just as surely as if they had made more NES Classics and dumped them all three days before Christmas. But no. Nintendo literally won't let me give them my money.
Agreed, very frustrating. I'd gladly pay what Nintendo is asking but I refuse to pay scalpers. I'd rather do without, which I likely will do since Nintendo won't stock more.

How are you getting the shaft and why would you want Nintendo to stop making console, just because you can't get a piece of plastic?
I want them to stop making consoles because quite frankly they suck at it. It has little to do with this CE, I am more offended that they have the nerve to delay the original version of the game just to release it on the Switch first because the launch line up sucks... but I shouldn't be surprised because they did the same exact thing with TP. The fact that there is no CE for the Wii U is just extra salted icing on the cake. Really poor business practice shitting on their fans but most of them are ok with it.

Damn. I really wanted a master edition to hold hostage- Ransom on those will be nice.

Not odd at all, that's one of the main reasons I went for the SE over the ME. Aesthetics are a matter of opinion of course, but to me the ME box looks bland. That and I don't care for random statues/figures, so it was an easy choice..
Entirely agree about the box itself, the ME's design looks bland to me too. Like the kind design you'd expect to see of a tinier box or something holding the sword within it. I don't really understand why they decided to make two different box arts here.

I want them to stop making consoles because quite frankly they suck at it. It has little to do with this CE, I am more offended that they have the nerve to delay the original version of the game just to release it on the Switch first because the launch line up sucks... but I shouldn't be surprised because they did the same exact thing with TP. The fact that there is no CE for the Wii U is just extra salted icing on the cake. Really poor business practice shitting on their fans but most of them are ok with it.
Geez, You think you are so entitled...

You need to look at this from a business perspective. They HAD to move on from the WiiU as soon as possible because the hardware didn't get the attention from other developers like they hoped to. It was a smart choice to hold off on the release of BoTW because that was surely going to kick-start sales of the Switch.

If you have a problem with the way they run their business, do something about it and stop buying their stuff. It's as simple as that.

This thread is hilarious. To all these salty codgers and ebay morality police, did you get the special edition that's still available? Lemme guess, no because its still readily available at the moment and you are "teaching nintendo a lesson". Every time anything remotely desirable is ACTUALLY limited all these pissy people come out of the woodwork about scalpers(why the hell are you so concerned about ebay anyways), loss of printed money... etc. Just say "I AM SALTY BECAUSE I MISSED THE CHANCE TO HOARD/LORD OVER THE HAVENOTS/RESELL _____"

Half these braggarts that come on here would not even bother to post if they weren't rewarded with your sweet sweet salty tears. 

This thread is hilarious. To all these salty codgers and ebay morality police, did you get the special edition that's still available? Lemme guess, no because its still readily available at the moment and you are "teaching nintendo a lesson". Every time anything remotely desirable is ACTUALLY limited all these pissy people come out of the woodwork about scalpers(why the hell are you so concerned about ebay anyways), loss of printed money... etc. Just say "I AM SALTY BECAUSE I MISSED THE CHANCE TO HOARD/LORD OVER THE HAVENOTS/RESELL _____"

Half these braggarts that come on here would not even bother to post if they weren't rewarded with your sweet sweet salty tears.
Takes two to tango. If people get off on salty tears then they have a problem too, but that is the terrible internet culture we live in. :wall: I got a euro version so w/e.

Geez, You think you are so entitled...

You need to look at this from a business perspective. They HAD to move on from the WiiU as soon as possible because the hardware didn't get the attention from other developers like they hoped to. It was a smart choice to hold off on the release of BoTW because that was surely going to kick-start sales of the Switch.

If you have a problem with the way they run their business, do something about it and stop buying their stuff. It's as simple as that.
Yeah maybe I do feel entitled to at least het the same options in purchasing the game as new console buyers but once again Nintendo punishes people for supporting their previoud consoles.

bread's done
Back