Zelda OOT/MM

Theenternal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I never played either of these games for more than a few minutes, this being back when ultrahle emulator was released during N64's prime, and although I tested it out, I was mostly playing pc games with my new 3dfx card :)

What platform do you guys recommend.
N64
GC/Wii
3ds for oot?

N64 simply because the controller is perfect for that game. I beat the game on the N64, GC and even though the latter versions have improved graphics or new modes, the original is still the best because it works so well with the controller.

The analog stick on N64 blows ass. Your controller will probably break a dozen times over just to beat the game. I'd go for the Gamecube / Wii with Classic Controller.

Not sure if Wii + Classic Controller is possible though. I Played them on N64.

Which reminds me... I have to go back and play these. Best games I ever played I think.

[quote name='b3b0p']The analog stick on N64 blows ass. Your controller will probably break a dozen times over just to beat the game. I'd go for the Gamecube / Wii with Classic Controller.[/QUOTE]

We've never had any issues with our N64 controllers... and that's even after endless hours of Smash Bros and the original Mario Party (though that game left us with sore palms).

For both, play the GC disc in your Wii w/component for 480p. Music is slightly messed up in Majora's Mask on GC, but it's not really that bad.

I'd say the VC versions are better than the GameCube ones, since the controls are less awkward. Still, I'd rather play the originals, even if they don't look as good. Or, just get one of those N64 to USB adapters and play them in legit widescreen on your PC.

I just booted my N64 to play OOT a few days ago. And I must say that it is much better on wii, the resolution is higher and it looks MUCH better. Only downside is you won't experience it on a N64 controller, but a GC controller works surprisingly well.

[quote name='Vinny']We've never had any issues with our N64 controllers... and that's even after endless hours of Smash Bros and the original Mario Party (though that game left us with sore palms).[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean it literally, but the N64 controllers I must have gone through about a dozen. They also start to get a little sticky and squeak after a bit of usage. The Gamecube and future analog controls from Nintendo are so much smoother. Also, the plastic on the n64 one, once your hands started to sweat a little it was easy to slip.

I played it for the GC and it was great mainly because of the GC controller. The N64 toothpick analog made me feel like i was going to snap it every time touched it.

[quote name='b3b0p']The analog stick on N64 blows ass. Your controller will probably break a dozen times over just to beat the game. I'd go for the Gamecube / Wii with Classic Controller.[/QUOTE]

I always felt that the N64 controller had the best design of any controller. Its three-pronged ergonomic design fits very well in the palm of your hand, with the Z button perfectly aligned with your index finger. I agree that the joystick would get stuck after a while, but I was able to take mine apart and clean/fix them easily enough. My friend had a problem with his controllers, but he abused them for a good 15 years playing Smash Bros almost nightly. OOT/MM aren't the types of games you'd break your controller at, anyway. I much preferred it over the GC/Wii Classic controllers.

I say stick with the original N64 versions of both. OOT 3D is good as it has 3D graphics and Master Quest added in, plus a fluid touch control system, but it's still the same game and on a smaller screen.

Still have not started yet, I went back and played through the Original Zelda since I technically never beat it as a kid. I played with a friend and although I completed almost all the dungeons on his turn he killed Ganon :p. I was surprised at how easy, fun, and quick it was. As a kid though I didn't like it, I was 5 and the dungeon music would scare me lol, and it was hard for me.

This is sad, but I still have never really played or beat either game. I owned them both with a N64 at one time, but I was more collecting than playing back then.

Now I do not have a N64 or either game. Guess I can still experience them on the Wii though.

I just started last night, the graphics are a little bit better than my low expectations. The controls are a little difficult to adjust, I keep wanting to move the camera around with the c buttons while moving.

On a side note, I also just finished Links Awakening, on my first trip overseas in early 2000 I put so much time in that game and loved it. But man that game is pretty depressing.

LOL, I had the same issue with the C buttons and wanting them to change the camera when I first played it as well!

See it through. It's a fantastic game. Easily one of the top 20 games of all time IMO.

bread's done
Back