Zelda or Final Fantasy??

Journey

CAGiversary!
I'm looking to get into either one of these series and I was wondering which one was the better of the two. Opinions are welcome.....

I picked Zelda because I'm not a very big RPG fan. I play a few like FFX, Earthbound, and so on, but they don't keep my attention for long. Zelda on the other hand has a perfect balance of adventure and action to me.

Zelda. There really isn't a single bad game in the series. Some FF games are great too so you really can't go wrong.

*waiting for someone to mention CD-i*

CD-i :lol:

If you're only looking at PS1/PS2 vs. N64/GC games (current/recent gen) the FF games blow Zelda out of the water IMO. Playing through OoT was incredible. But I found Majora's Mask to be tedious (seems like Groundhog Day to me) and Wind Waker to be no fun at all. I was just sailing around all the time, which took too much time to do.

If, however, you want to start with the NES/SNES games, I give a slight edge to Zelda. All 3 games from this era are fantastic.

If I were you, I'd get into both, but if I had to choose one, then it would definitely be the FF series. I love Zelda, but the FF games have been such great experiences. It was awesome playing through VII, IX, X, and X-2 for the first time. Go with FF.

I would recommend the Final Fantasy series, it's one of the best ever. Start with the earlier games(1-6) and then progress into the PS1 generation. BTW, the only chance you'll have of playing FF3 at this point is through emulation on a PC(w/ translated rom) or on a DC. Though I do recommend the series as a whole, I would also suggest staying far away from X and X-2 as they are nothing like the games that came before them in terms of quality. If you MUST play them make sure neither is your first FF experience.

They're just totally different, as was already mentioned. If you like more menu-based, classic RPGs then play FF1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10.

If you like more action and adventure, with some actual skill needed (though not much), play all the Zeldas.

[quote name='Backlash']They're just totally different, as was already mentioned. If you like more menu-based, classic RPGs then play FF1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10.

If you like more action and adventure, with some actual skill needed (though not much), play all the Zeldas.[/quote]

that is basically it...it just depends if you like action over rpg...vice versa

Zelda 1,2,link to the past, link's awakening, the oracles, mangina masque, Wind waker, and 4 swords are good.

Final fantasy 4,5 and 9 are good.

Zelda own FF.

Only the stupid new zelda and suckarina of time are blemishes.

On the other hand, you've got craptastic FF games like FF2, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF10-2

[quote name='tdphillips']CD-i :lol:

If you're only looking at PS1/PS2 vs. N64/GC games (current/recent gen) the FF games blow Zelda out of the water IMO. Playing through OoT was incredible. But I found Majora's Mask to be tedious (seems like Groundhog Day to me) and Wind Waker to be no fun at all. I was just sailing around all the time, which took too much time to do.

If, however, you want to start with the NES/SNES games, I give a slight edge to Zelda. All 3 games from this era are fantastic.[/quote]

you are the stupidest person alive.

OOT sucks, FF7 and 6 suck.

Mangina masque and Wind waker are good,.

You can't compare these 2 games!

They two completely different types of RPG games.

You may like one and not the other.

Perhaps try picking up one of each. Maybe try and pick up the NES Classic Zelda (not Links Adventure NES Classic) and see what you think. Also pick up either Final Fantasy Origins or Final Fantasy I & II for gameboy. You may like them both, you may not. These are good short, simple games that can start you off with their origins. If you like these you will most likely love the rest of the series.

I love them both!

Chris

The only FF game that I can recommend over the Zelda series would be FFT. The FF series is fun and has a bunch of good stories but the gameplay is a little shallow and sometimes it feels like you are playing through an interactive book/movie where your only input is to fight battles against the same monsters over and over again. FF6 is a little different because each character is different and some skills (Blitz) involve more input than the pressing of one button. Overall I choose Zelda, but it's worth trying FFT and FF6, maybe even 7 and 10.

[quote name='Journey']I'm looking to get into either one of these series and I was wondering which one was the better of the two. Opinions are welcome.....[/quote]

Get both and if you have not been playing FF or Zelda where the hell have you been the last 18 years??

[quote name='spoo']
Get both and if you have not been playing FF or Zelda where the hell have you been the last 18 years??[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='Backlash'][quote name='spoo']
Get both and if you have not been playing FF or Zelda where the hell have you been the last 18 years??[/quote]

Word.[/quote]

yeah, word to that.

Zelda, hands down. I like me some RPG's but FF's are not my type of RPG. The only ones I enjoyed were the SNES versions, and even those weren't that great.

[quote name='DenisDFat'][quote name='tdphillips']CD-i :lol:

If, however, you want to start with the NES/SNES games, I give a slight edge to Zelda. All 3 games from this era are fantastic.[/quote]

you are the stupidest person alive.

OOT sucks, FF7 and 6 suck.

Mangina masque and Wind waker are good,.[/quote]

:roll:

I like RPGs and all, but I find many of the FF games to be just average...nothing special. As said before, Zelda games don't offer a ton of challenge (though Master Quest has some rather tricky puzzles), but Final Fantasy never offered any challenge whatsoever to me.

it's really hard to say which is better, they are completely different games.

If I was forced to only pick one series I could play I'd take Final Fantasy, but that's because I prefer tradational RPG's over Action/Adventure games. It doesn't mean that Final Fantasy is "better" then Zelda it's just the series I prefer. Zelda fucking rocks too though, just not quite as much.

[quote name='onikage']I would recommend the Final Fantasy series, it's one of the best ever. Start with the earlier games(1-6) and then progress into the PS1 generation. BTW, the only chance you'll have of playing FF3 at this point is through emulation on a PC(w/ translated rom) or on a DC. Though I do recommend the series as a whole, I would also suggest staying far away from X and X-2 as they are nothing like the games that came before them in terms of quality. If you MUST play them make sure neither is your first FF experience.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. X is a horrible game (IMO), but you'll enjoy X-2 if you're into chick flicks and random, cheesy lines.

[quote name='b3b0p']You can't compare these 2 games!

They two completely different types of RPG games.[/QUOTE]

Very much indeed. If you've got lots of time on your hand (as in 10 more hours till sundown), you'll enjoy the Final Fantasy series. FF3 is, however, a definate must play.

If you like a fast paced adventure with a nice story, you'll enjoy Zelda.

gotta go with the FF series they have some fun mini games and side-quests as well, oh yea not to mention collecting the ultimate weapons!

Thank you all for your input. I decided to go with the Zelda games for now. I'm currently playing Minish Cap and loving every minute of it.

As for all the people that were wondering where I've been, not playing these games.........I have palyed the first zelda on nes and my only experience with Final Fantasy was 7. I enjoyed both, I just wanted a little input that's all.

[quote name='PsyClerk']I'll vote for FF. FF1 4, 6 and 10 are better than any four Zelda games I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

FF1 aged horribly, though, while starting off with the original LoZ is still as good as they day it came out. You might as well hook up a controller with an auto-fire A button for FF1, since that's all you'll be doing.

If the OP went anywhere near FF1 and thought it indicative of the series as a whole, the comparison of FF to Zelda would become moot as they'd run screaming into the hills from the boredom. I used to like FF1, then I played again on FF Origins and felt as though I had been transported to my last root canal, this time sans novacaine.

Well there really isn't any bad zelda game unless you count the cdi games. As for the FF series, there's some ups and downs but overall most of the games are great.

its like apples and oranges there both good, but since ive never actually played a final fantasy game ill go with ganondorf on this one

bread's done
Back