Zelda: The Music Sealed

phoenix529

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
Hey guys, grabbed this at Vintage Stock for $12.

AZOO.jpg

Not really interested in whether it was a good deal, just wanted to ask you guys:

It's factory sealed. Should I open it and listen? Or leave it and store it?

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Open it and enjoy it. Game soundtracks aren't really worth anything, unless it's something like Donkey Kong Country.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ, the "Sounds of Ragol" soundtrack from PSO Ep. I and II is worth a pretty penny as well. Hell, pretty much every PSO soundtrack is worth money. As a fan, I understand the price of them, I've got tons of nostalgia for those tracks. Spent 800+ hours from 7th - 9th grade on that game... it's sad that after that much time I still want to hear the music.

[quote name='Doomstink']I beg to differ, the "Sounds of Ragol" soundtrack from PSO Ep. I and II is worth a pretty penny as well. Hell, pretty much every PSO soundtrack is worth money. As a fan, I understand the price of them, I've got tons of nostalgia for those tracks. Spent 800+ hours from 7th - 9th grade on that game... it's sad that after that much time I still want to hear the music.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. I'd lump the PSO soundtracks in with the DKC ones as "worth money". But the vast majority of them aren't worth much.

Now I want to play PSO! My 360 won't play the Xbox version, so I guess I'll just have to fire up the Dreamcast. I too spent ludicrous hours on the game when I was in 7th grade, but I couldn't play online, because we had AOL at the time. Those were truely the dark ages.

[quote name='phoenix529']Bootleg? How the hell...? How the hell did I get a bootleg brand new from Vintage Stock?[/QUOTE]

The first tip off is the price. Generally an official CD OST might be around the thirty dollar mark. It's the first red flag, and the same reason why you wouldn't buy these sorts of things from eBay over a reputable site (like PlayAsia).

Second is the mentioning of k-ocd.com - K-O Trading Company - on the back of the case. I've seen these around and looked up the company - it's a fake.

Vintage Stock is buying bootleg CDs. I don't know if they are aware of that or not.

Sorry dood.

Really depends on your personal ethics. It's still got all the music the non-bootlegged version has, albeit probably in lower quality.

I'd take it back, because I try not to buy bootlegs if I can help it, but really, it's up to you.

The kind of "bootleg" you have, though, is not usually a cheap quality one from those companies (or others like Ever... whatever). I consider these more like "reproductions" than bootlegs, but the problem still is that the original artists and copyright owners do not get any compensation. That should be where your dilemma is rather than worrying about quality.

That sucks. I would return it, but if you're curious or it's not worth the money to put up with the return process you could always give it a whirl, your call really.

I do like that title though... I'm gonna make a bootleg artbook called "Zelda: The Pictures".

[quote name='eastshore4']That sucks. I would return it, but if you're curious or it's not worth the money to put up with the return process you could always give it a whirl, your call really.

I do like that title though... I'm gonna make a bootleg artbook called "Zelda: The Pictures".[/QUOTE]

That is the actual title of the CD though, the real copy is simply called Zelda: The Music.

Deepdiscount has it for 32, backordered, and you can see if you grab one from amazon marketplace but that's probably more booties.

If he opened it, most likely they won't take it back... say rip it and try to resell it to someone.

I actually didn't open it until just now, after much internal debate. I decided I just wanted to hear the songs again.

In fact, it's only got five OoT songs on it, so I may even go buy the OoT "bootleg" VS has for the same price. By the way, the production value is actually pretty high. It comes with a shiny foldout booklet of Zelda art and tracklistings for each game. (70 songs) But I haven't listened to the songs yet. Waiting for my Touch to sync.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Oh, I know. I'd lump the PSO soundtracks in with the DKC ones as "worth money". But the vast majority of them aren't worth much.[/QUOTE]

Not to go off on a tangent, but you're oversimplifying the issue. Are you only referring to domestically-released video game soundtracks? If so, yes, few of them are considered valuable, aside from earlier Nintendo Power releases (especially DKC 2 and KI Gold). But if we're including Japanese releases as well, then there are *tons* of valuable soundtracks out there. The big difference is whether it's in print or long out of print, basically. My Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VII LE, Zelda Sound & Drama, and Yoshi's Island soundtracks, for example, are worth hundreds each. Those PSO CDs are worth peanuts in comparison.

Sorry, I used to be a pretty big VGM collector, and I felt the need to nitpick.

[quote name='phoenix529']I actually didn't open it until just now, after much internal debate. I decided I just wanted to hear the songs again.

In fact, it's only got five OoT songs on it, so I may even go buy the OoT "bootleg" VS has for the same price. By the way, the production value is actually pretty high. It comes with a shiny foldout booklet of Zelda art and tracklistings for each game. (70 songs) But I haven't listened to the songs yet. Waiting for my Touch to sync.[/QUOTE]

If you want an OoT soundtrack, I'd suggest the official Nintendo Power one. I don't think it has ever been bootlegged.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Not to go off on a tangent, but you're oversimplifying the issue. Are you only referring to domestically-released video game soundtracks? If so, yes, few of them are considered valuable, aside from earlier Nintendo Power releases (especially DKC 2 and KI Gold). [/QUOTE]

Wow. I just looked up most of the older Nintendo Power soundtracks and pretty much all of them are worth something. My friend's dad had the OoT, Mario Kart 64, and Mario 64 soundtracks and they all look to be going for around $100 each.

[quote name='phoenix529']In fact, it's only got five OoT songs on it, so I may even go buy the OoT "bootleg" VS has for the same price.[/QUOTE]

Jesus fucking christ, that's the worst thing you could do! If you really want it, download the mp3s for free so none of your money goes to supporting bootleggers.

[quote name='Doomstink']If you want an OoT soundtrack, I'd suggest the official Nintendo Power one. I don't think it has ever been bootlegged.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the American version is incomplete, with only 35 tracks. The Japanese version has the full 82, but it's out of print and frequently bootlegged.

[quote name='Doomstink']Wow. I just looked up most of the older Nintendo Power soundtracks and pretty much all of them are worth something. My friend's dad had the OoT, Mario Kart 64, and Mario 64 soundtracks and they all look to be going for around $100 each.[/QUOTE]

If somebody is actually trying to charge that, they're grossly overpricing them. Those three are much more common than some of the other Nintendo Power offerings.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Not to go off on a tangent, but you're oversimplifying the issue. Are you only referring to domestically-released video game soundtracks? If so, yes, few of them are considered valuable, aside from earlier Nintendo Power releases (especially DKC 2 and KI Gold). But if we're including Japanese releases as well, then there are *tons* of valuable soundtracks out there. The big difference is whether it's in print or long out of print, basically. My Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VII LE, Zelda Sound & Drama, and Yoshi's Island soundtracks, for example, are worth hundreds each. Those PSO CDs are worth peanuts in comparison.

Sorry, I used to be a pretty big VGM collector, and I felt the need to nitpick.[/QUOTE]

True, I was oversimplifying. I'm not anywhere near an expert on video game soundtracks, I just wanted to give a quick and dirty answer. I'm more into anime soundtracks. Its been hell trying to find the Dragonball & Dragonball Z daizenshuu set. If I find it, it's either a SonMay bootleg or it's balls expensive.

[quote name='Doomstink']Wow. I just looked up most of the older Nintendo Power soundtracks and pretty much all of them are worth something. My friend's dad had the OoT, Mario Kart 64, and Mario 64 soundtracks and they all look to be going for around $100 each.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

I have mario kart 64, mario 64/waverace, and star fox.

When I looked them up online mine are slightly different though in that my star fox and mario/wave race don't come in normal cd cases they come in a plastic slip case thing which has the same picture as the cover.

They are legit though since I bought them all back in the N64 days from Electronic Boutique.

While we are on the topic of soundtracks quick question - I have the following and trying to determine if its worth anything. I know its legit.

ISBN 4-87188-143-1 CO873 P300E
Barcode No. T4930203120037

celtic_moon_L.jpg

[quote name='Brian9824']While we are on the topic of soundtracks quick question - I have the following and trying to determine if its worth anything. I know its legit.

ISBN 4-87188-143-1 CO873 P300E
Barcode No. T4930203120037

celtic_moon_L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

From the looks of that picture, you have the first-print "hardcover" version. It's had a couple reprints, and is still in print, so that one is probably worth about $20-30 if it's in good shape.

bread's done
Back