Zero Punctuation - F.E.A.R. 2:PO

Shrapnellistic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Latest Video: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/565-Fear-2

His videos sometimes have spoilers in them, so if you want to be safe, don't watch videos on the games you want to finish spoiler-free; instead, watch videos on games you've already finished or have no interest in playing.

Did a search and was surprised no threads were made of Yahtzee and his game videos. So whenever there's a new Yahtzee video (every Wednesday) I'll just bump this thread up with a link to it and edit the thread title to the new video. On that note, check the archive here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Last edited by a moderator:
this game didn't get much respect from anyone. Considering there is nothing from the first one I too wondered why it would be Far Cry 2 instead of another name.

Well it still had hang-gliders. Never played the first one or its spin-offs, but I heard the first one had mutant powers and I would appreciate that right about now with these identical mission structures that leads FPS players wanting more theatrics in their gameplay.

It was ludicrous to be told for every main mission, "You're on a secret mission, our own guys will shoot you." It wouldn't of been too bad if Ubisoft just made it so I have to drive slow near guard posts as to not instigate anything, but nope! They have to chase me everytime I'm within 40 feet. The weapon dealer missions were straight-up, copied and pasted over different round-a-bouts the convoy took. I appreciate the commitment to the first-person perspective in this game with the plethora of animations your mute character did, but the only point in choosing your mercenary is to see his arm color in those animations, I would of preferred that they used one main guy and did voice-over for him instead of that gimmick of "Choose your mercenary! We're tricking you into thinking this is so customizable!". Since players did a lot of driving in the game, I don't know why they didn't just adopt GTAIV's waypoint system on the magical map. Can't believe their Quality Assurance "Okay'ed" exploding weapons, I can live with the jamming weapons (wouldn't miss it if no other FPS had it); but those two just seemed to sum up Far Cry 2's ambitions perfectly, trying to be innovative for innovation's sake.

I do have to give the game credit for having an easy-to-use map editor, but it's a shame the multiplayer fray isn't the main attraction or even a side-attraction. The foliage in the game is great when pressing your body to move it and the flamethrower is the best yet in a game, but the mortar is useless! How do you use that thing?! :bomb:

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Can't believe their Quality Assurance "Okay'ed" exploding weapons, I can live with the jamming weapons (wouldn't miss it if no other FPS had it); but those two just seemed to sum up Far Cry 2's ambitions perfectly, trying to be innovative for innovation's sake.
[/quote]See, that's why my dream of an FPS based on the Spanish Civil War will probably never be realized. Such a game would mainly appeal to people like me who would really, really like to see something done with that war, and people who don't want to have their guns jam/ explode in their hands/grenades not go off when thrown/grenades go off well before thrown.

[quote name='The Crotch']See, that's why my dream of an FPS based on the Spanish Civil War will probably never be realized. Such a game would mainly appeal to people like me who would really, really like to see something done with that war, and people who don't want to have their guns jam/ explode in their hands/grenades not go off when thrown/grenades go off well before thrown.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why but this inspire in me the sick concept of an Ernest Hemmingway themed FPS. At the game's conclusion you get to exercise the option of placing your shotgun under your own chin and firing.

I think what irritated me the most about the game was that it had its moments. The fire dynamic was pretty cool and the missions were fun when you got there but jeez all of the time you had to travel.

I'd really like to see a Korean War game myself. Especially after doing some traveling while I'm here and seeing some great game locations

this was a funny episode and I agreed with him. Well no not really. I liked the game but unlike Yahtzee I enjoy the overly-macho attitudes the guys have. It's something that makes me smile when you get some kind of ridiculous line. I also gave a damn about Dom's wife and was rather shocked how that ended. One thing I don't think he mentioned was Carmine. The running joke in the series. Thank god he stuck around longer for it was a joy to have him be the soldier that didn't fit in with the rest.

I think he mentioned that regarding Carmine, in that any character who didn't have an attitude that mocked death or was ready to face it at any time ended up dying.

He also mentioned anyone with a helmet dies.

Carmine fits these traits pretty effectively, I would say.

his game reviews are always funny hes an intelligent and up to date version of the avgn. i dont get the big deal about gears of war though alot of what they do ive seen done in killzone but beyond that the 360 has alot of shooters that are imo better. sill waiting on a realistic zombie shooter.

this thread is confusing. the link goes to the Gears review but the thread subject is the LBP review.

Personally, I find myself preferring Unskippable these days. Their Dirge of Cerberus video was awesome. Some of them drag a little, but... eh. Today's was a little slow, but there was a great "What the fuck?" towards the end.[quote name='epobirs']Actually, I was thinking mainly about this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway#Suicide[/quote]
I know. I was just pointing out the connection between Hemingway and what I wrote.

[quote name='lokizz']sill waiting on a realistic zombie shooter.[/quote]

I'm with you there... i could rant for hours on how it would play

bread's done
Back