ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

[quote name='Bezerker']I never knew you could send your software in for a refurb...

Mine keep crashing everytime i try to download the Giant Bombcast. I guess its kinda ironic that my software is blowing up.[/QUOTE]

That's what I get when I work midnights and come home to catch up on my 'Subsrcibed Threads' .#-o

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Man. My Zune Software crashes everytime I try to boot it up. If I re-install it, will it remember my past settings for music, artists, playlists, etc. or will I have to set all that ish up again?[/quote]

It will likely remember the settings and everything, since most uninstallers only take the program files off and not the settings folders in your profile or registry. But don't quote me on it.

[quote name='bmachine']What are you guys using as a case for your Zune? I've got the shit-brown leather case for my 80GB (this one) and I'm looking for something new.[/quote]
im using that one..cept i got it cheaper....much cheaper

I let my zune collect dust for awhile but I'm back into it now since 3.0 came out. I 've been watching a lot of videos lately. Speaking of which .. I've been transcoding avi files to wmv via Cucusoft Video Converter. Can someone recommend a different program that's a bit less finicky?

Also, why the fuck can't a zune, whose sole job it is to play media, play avi files but the 360 can?

[quote name='Maklershed']I let my zune collect dust for awhile but I'm back into it now since 3.0 came out. I 've been watching a lot of videos lately. Speaking of which .. I've been transcoding avi files to wmv via Cucusoft Video Converter. Can someone recommend a different program that's a bit less finicky?

Also, why the fuck can't a zune, whose sole job it is to play media, play avi files but the 360 can?[/QUOTE]

I use PSP video 9 , it has presets to chose from .
Makes it kinda easier for an old guy like me .

[quote name='xeno']im using that one..cept i got it cheaper....much cheaper[/quote]

I didn't pay $60 for it, either...IIRC, I got it at Circuit City when the 80GB player came out for around $20. I don't know how Amazon can justify that price.

I also use PSP Video 9 to convert videos. Super simple, not a thousand different possible settings and converts in minutes.

[quote name='Maklershed']I let my zune collect dust for awhile but I'm back into it now since 3.0 came out. I 've been watching a lot of videos lately. Speaking of which .. I've been transcoding avi files to wmv via Cucusoft Video Converter. Can someone recommend a different program that's a bit less finicky?

Also, why the fuck can't a zune, whose sole job it is to play media, play avi files but the 360 can?[/QUOTE]

I used Cucusoft as well. What a waste of money. Worked, but damn.

Now I just use Handbrake to convert for my iPhone, and let the Zune software take five days to convert it.

I'm not sure what to tell you, it might be one of your podcasts messing things up. Try renaming the folder temporarily to see if it's the podcasts themselves or the software.

i just got a 30Gb from live search club....pretty nice..i have a ton of music on it and about 25 games (hexic is my fav) but it really pales in comparison to my ipod touch when looking at the shear amount of stuff it can do...i wish the zune marketplace was more "visual"...I do like the fact that it has a radio built in...also..is everyone else's wifi reception shitty? i can't get a signal sitting in my backyard but everything else in my house that uses wireless (psp, ds, ipod touch, laptop, etc) gets a signal just fine

Also, why the fuck can't a zune, whose sole job it is to play media, play avi files but the 360 can?[/quote]

i have been using videora. it is an ipod converter, but it converts to mp4 which the zune software can use anyway. i had to change a few settings, but it works great and is free.

i also found it much faster and easier to use than xilisoft, imtoo, and cucu.

Anyone know of a good cheap speaker system...I want it for work, and I'd rather get something with a power adapter as opposed to batteries...USB connection would work as well.

[quote name='Maklershed']My zune is frozen. Does anyone know how to unfreeze it?
EDIT: Got it. Gotta hold the back button and the top directional button.[/quote]

My Zune has only locked up once in it's existence and that was the solution for me, too.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone know of a good cheap speaker system...I want it for work, and I'd rather get something with a power adapter as opposed to batteries...USB connection would work as well.[/quote]

I have this one which I scored from Woot for about $40. The sound quality is amazing and it gets nice and loud without any distortion.

The cheapest price I see on the net right now is about $70, which kinda blows. Maybe keep an eye on Woot? Or Ebay?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone know of a good cheap speaker system...I want it for work, and I'd rather get something with a power adapter as opposed to batteries...USB connection would work as well.[/quote]

i have been looking as well, and to my knowledge there are only about 4, all of which are too much and/or have useless features to me...

iHome ~$90
old Altec ~$180
Altec Lansing ~$100
Kicker ~$250
(these can probably be found on ebay for cheaper)

a friend of mine bought the newer Altec from best buy and ended up returning it because the sound would cut out, and it was generally a piece of crap.

another friend bought the kicker and swears its the greatest thing ever. and it should be for $250.

you could also buy something like this and just use the headphone jack, but you will have to raise the volume of the zune and probably the volume on the speaker system to hear it well. i have a teac, and that's exactly what i did. but the teac has a nice enough amp, that i can just crank its volume and not drain the zunes battery bu cranking its volume.

i still do want a proper dock though.

I think my battery's starting to die, and the warranty is almost up, if it's not up already. I don't remember if it has a 1 year or 3 month warranty because I bought it from woot. Can't afford a new one, and if it's over $40 for a battery, I can't afford that either.

Am I the only one who's having issues with the Zune software's search function since the update? The auto complete crap takes FOREVER. I'll type something in the blank, then switch to my browser while it's thinking about what I typed. I *really* wish you could turn it off & let it search the old way, it was MUCH faster - is that possible?

I couldnt find a good guide to how to get more games on my Zune. Anyone got alink for me? I have the classic 30gb

anyone interested in buying a gen 2 8GB flash zune?

black, only about 6 months old, looks brand new. everything included. headphones never used.

[quote name='orntar']i have been looking as well, and to my knowledge there are only about 4, all of which are too much and/or have useless features to me...

iHome ~$90
old Altec ~$180
Altec Lansing ~$100
Kicker ~$250
(these can probably be found on ebay for cheaper)

a friend of mine bought the newer Altec from best buy and ended up returning it because the sound would cut out, and it was generally a piece of crap.

another friend bought the kicker and swears its the greatest thing ever. and it should be for $250.

you could also buy something like this and just use the headphone jack, but you will have to raise the volume of the zune and probably the volume on the speaker system to hear it well. i have a teac, and that's exactly what i did. but the teac has a nice enough amp, that i can just crank its volume and not drain the zunes battery bu cranking its volume.

i still do want a proper dock though.[/quote]

Yeah, that's a bit much than I wanted to spend...I think I'll just get some small computer speakers. Thanks though.

Is anyone else having freezing problems with their zune? I have a new 80GB that occasionally freezes every now and then since the new update.

What's the best way to hook up the original 30 GB Zune to your car stereo other than using an FM transmitter thing? I know some newer stereos have USB inputs or Aux inputs but are there cables compatible with the Zune for this purpose because I have been unable to find any or much more information about them really. Most stereos I'm looking at advertise as "Ipod compatible" via the auxiliary output on those but I'm perfectly fine with my Zune and would rather use that. Any help or advice is appreciated.

[quote name='lionheart4life']What's the best way to hook up the original 30 GB Zune to your car stereo other than using an FM transmitter thing? I know some newer stereos have USB inputs or Aux inputs but are there cables compatible with the Zune for this purpose because I have been unable to find any or much more information about them really. Most stereos I'm looking at advertise as "Ipod compatible" via the auxiliary output on those but I'm perfectly fine with my Zune and would rather use that. Any help or advice is appreciated.[/quote]I'm pretty sure "iPod compatible" just means that is has an AUX port so that you can use a cable that plugs into the headphone jack, thus the Zune works just as well. The cable should only cost a few bucks.

My truck is old, so I'm able to use a casette tape that has a wire that plugs into the headphone jack, and it sounds great.

[quote name='SL4IN']Is anyone else having freezing problems with their zune? I have a new 80GB that occasionally freezes every now and then since the new update.[/quote]

Yeah, my 8 GB has frozen several times since the update and never froze before it.

My 30gb is freezing alot too now. I use it for running (I don't know if this is a bad thing since I'm constantly shaking it the whole time), so maybe that might be my problem.

[quote name='bmachine']My Zune has only locked up once in it's existence and that was the solution for me, too.

I have this one which I scored from Woot for about $40. The sound quality is amazing and it gets nice and loud without any distortion.

The cheapest price I see on the net right now is about $70, which kinda blows. Maybe keep an eye on Woot? Or Ebay?[/quote]
I second the Altec's I got also from woot. I got mine for $25 (I was a schmuck and bought the brown zune. Then they marked it down to $80 so I got a $20 off code when I complained :D). These speakers also double as computer speakers BTW as they have an aux in.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']My 30gb is freezing alot too now. I use it for running (I don't know if this is a bad thing since I'm constantly shaking it the whole time), so maybe that might be my problem.[/quote]

yea, shaking a hard drive is not a good idea.

[quote name='VioletArrows']For those of you who commented that you use PSP Video 9, does that make WMVs, or does it turn it into some special format?[/QUOTE]

MP4 with various sound options . Use the presets from the pulldown menu for best results .

Anyone know if MS gives you a new or a refurbished Zune (or a way to check) if you send it in for warranty work? I sent mine in and got one with a different serial, assumed I would be getting a refurbished but it looks brand new and had a plastic film over the screen (and 2.5 firmware).

P.S. Whole process took a week and a day if anyone was curious, very impressive. Was surprised they overnight everything.

I bought an entire album from the Zune marketplace for the first time today since I couldn't find the new Bloc Party album at Target. I also picked up the new Shiny Toy Guns album from Target for $9, so I'm set on new music for a little while. I get my points cheap, so I probably paid $6 or $7 for the Bloc Party album instead of the $11 I would have spent at Target.

Oh, and my Zune software just froze after I accidently opened up iTunes while Zune was running. It had this strange purple screen tear when I was viewing the Zune window like it had been stabbed. Hmmm...

I had the first generation Zune, but I returned it because they were supposed to up the color palette on the revisions.

Did this ever happen, or are they still stuck with 256-color crap?

Actually, I could care less until FLAC support.

Target has the official Microsoft AV kit and the Car Adapter kit on clearance .
So far they're at 50% off , I hid the car adapter in hopes of picking it up at 75% off .

The car adapter looks to have duplicate controls on it . The A/V dock kit comes with a remote .

[quote name='Richlough']Target has the official Microsoft AV kit and the Car Adapter kit on clearance .
So far they're at 50% off , I hid the car adapter in hopes of picking it up at 75% off .

The car adapter looks to have duplicate controls on it . The A/V dock kit comes with a remote .[/QUOTE]

Huh. Which location?

I'm down for another dock, but it has to be cheaper than buy.com.

[quote name='Richlough']Target has the official Microsoft AV kit and the Car Adapter kit on clearance .

The car adapter looks to have duplicate controls on it . The A/V dock kit comes with a remote .[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. :D

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Huh. Which location?

I'm down for another dock, but it has to be cheaper than buy.com.[/QUOTE]

One of my stores I frequent , Woodhaven,MI .
Not that you're are going to go all of the way there .;)

[quote name='Richlough']One of my stores I frequent , Woodhaven,MI .
Not that you're are going to go all of the way there .;)[/QUOTE]

:doh:

For some reason I thought you were Atlanta local.

Same here, but in Jacksonville its only ~30% off ~ 30$ each. Thinking about getting my GF one, would you reccomend the zune over the ipod? How would I convert the song library?

The Home A/V Kit absolutely made the Zune for me. I listen to a lot of podcasts, so having the thing hooked up to my stereo without it sucking up the battery is wonderful. I say it's a must have.

bread's done
Back