ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

80GB Zune 2 if the issue is permanent, 1-3 months free Zune pass otherwise. Either would be an acceptable peace offering.

Mine restarted last night while hooked up to my 360, playing Bloc Party. I looked at it, and it was stuck on the loading screen, so I let the battery die since there is no way to do a hard reset there. I'll check it out now, but I guess it's down until they send out the fix.

I would pay $50 or so to upgrade to the new one if this isn't fixable or if this is fixed, would think that a free month of zune pass is a pretty sweet deal. That is, if this only lasts a couple of days. If this goes on for weeks, I'm going to be pretty upset having to suffer with my PSP.

Some people have stated theirs started working after opening the case and disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds and hooking back up, but as soon as it was hooked up to their PC it died again. Doesn't seem like a great fix, but it does leave the possibility of being able to fix it yourself with a firmware update or something.

Wow...Some week. First my 360 and now my zune. Way to go microsoft. Happened to me last night at 2 am so I thought if I let the battery drain it would fix it self (somehow). I'm cool with free upgrades though.

http://gizmodo.com/5121311/30gb-zunes-failing-everywhere-all-at-once

Well I thought my zune had just broken randomly until I stumbled upon the above. I hope if they issue a recall or something my refurbished one counts. Got it on the cheap a while back when the new zunes came out. I'm sure alot of us got our old 30gig players when they did the whole firesale thing. Still can't find a 30gig music player for 100$.....

Now I have to listen to the CAGcast tethered to my PC..................

So this is what happened to my uncle's Zune.... holy crap, all first born Zunes killed just like that.

Sorry to the dude I sold my first gen to. :(

Let the battery die off...unless you want to open it up and take the battery out and put it back in yourself, then you should have a working Zune until you plug it in again.

Everyone that has a bricked one, are they on the newest firmware? My mom has my old 30GB that she never updated the firmware on. The battery is dead and she is going to charge it later but I was curious if everyone who has the issue what their firmware was.

Another dead zune 30 here, if we're keeping count. Mine is a $50 kmart clearance special, but has not given any problems in the time that I've had it. Hope there is a fix soon (like exchange for a newer model).

Edit: Mine is the newer firmware. I updated a couple weeks ago.

[quote name='jp0213']Everyone that has a bricked one, are they on the newest firmware? My mom has my old 30GB that she never updated the firmware on. The battery is dead and she is going to charge it later but I was curious if everyone who has the issue what their firmware was.[/quote]

Yep it's basically the newest firmware only. If you have anything lower than 3.0, there's no doubt you will be fine.

Wow. This sure came out of left field.
Major bummer for the first gen owners.
At least we know MS is working on it right now instead of claiming it's not an issue.

This is the funniest crap ive ever seen. MS really has the worst hardware on earth. My zune and my buddies zune are both dead. Im also on my 4th 360. Awesome.

My dad told me this morning that both his and my moms Zune stopped working right.. I was surprised to find that it was a problem with all first gen zunes, hopefully they will be back up and running soon.

[quote name='blitz6speed']This is the funniest crap ive ever seen. MS really has the worst hardware on earth. My zune and my buddies zune are both dead. Im also on my 4th 360. Awesome.[/QUOTE]

This isn't a hardware issue by any stretch.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']This isn't a hardware issue by any stretch.[/QUOTE]

There are thousands upon thousands of dead 30 gig zunes saying otherwise. Regardless of the fact that its the software causing it, the hardware is now a paper weight. Sadly, this seems all to common with any hardware you buy from microsoft.

[quote name='blitz6speed']This is the funniest crap ive ever seen. MS really has the worst hardware on earth. My zune and my buddies zune are both dead. Im also on my 4th 360. Awesome.[/QUOTE]

you make fun of their hardware, yet you keep buying them...

[quote name='dallow']Wonder if they'll work tomorrow after the year changes.[/quote]

If that doesn't happen I wonder if it will be possible to fix these without opening them (not something I want to do). I don't think it would be possible to update the firmware under current conditions.

I also just noticed the the new one they sent me after my first died has the S/N scratched out.

Well what can I say, I haven't synced my zune for a month. Thank god I didn't sync it recently, I'll wait until this issue is addressed. I don't need to listen to music on the School Bus, I can just play my DS. HOOZAH!

Anyway sorry to all of you guys that got the bricked Zune. :(

Hopefully Microsoft will bring the next gen of consoles, and media players a ray of hope and a ton of stuff for it. I hope they do make up for this eventually.

The PS3 seems to be not going down in price any time soon, and the market for the PS3 seems to be dying as well. The 360 dominates the Gamer market, while the Wii dominates the New Gamer market. Got to love this generation.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Pulse of Magnetic Energy went pulsing throughout the whole world, and ending all forms of Technology. That'd be the day the Apocalypse would happen.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']you make fun of their hardware, yet you keep buying them...[/quote]Well, he probably only bought one, and has gotten the 360 replaced 4 times.

[quote name='happy']If that doesn't happen I wonder if it will be possible to fix these without opening them (not something I want to do). I don't think it would be possible to update the firmware under current conditions.

I also just noticed the the new one they sent me after my first died has the S/N scratched out.[/quote]
Yeah, I can't even imagine what a complete recall would cost them.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There are thousands upon thousands of dead 30 gig zunes saying otherwise. [/quote]

I think there are probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Zune30 around. I'm really not that mad as of yet. I really like the Zune and think MS will think of a solution, either by fixing them, or replacing them.

total_recall_0.jpg

[quote name='oliverqueen']It was weird I read this thread, in a worry I turned on my zune, and like clockwork it bricked!!! woo hoo!![/QUOTE]

genius

I can't even check to see if mine is dead, as it is out of battery. Gotta suck for M$, they are probably going to have to recall a LOT of Zunes. Because I don't see how they are going to be able to release an update to stop this, it would be almost impossible for your PC to read the Zune if it doesn't turn on.

Though, some users on the Zune forums have said that by doing the battery fix, then setting their computers date to Jan 1, 2009, it fixed it. So, I'm wondering that if tonight all of our Zunes will be back to normal.

[quote name='neverletthem']I can't even check to see if mine is dead, as it is out of battery. Gotta suck for M$, they are probably going to have to recall a LOT of Zunes. Because I don't see how they are going to be able to release an update to stop this, it would be almost impossible for your PC to read the Zune if it doesn't turn on.

Though, some users on the Zune forums have said that by doing the battery fix, then setting their computers date to Jan 1, 2009, it fixed it. So, I'm wondering that if tonight all of our Zunes will be back to normal.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...any link?

From what I hear, it won't matter when you turn it on. It doesn't matter though, Microsoft is going to have to replace every single one of these Zunes for free, out of warranty or not out of good faith, since they're still very much liable.

:applause:[quote name='oliverqueen']It was weird I read this thread, in a worry I turned on my zune, and like clockwork it bricked!!! woo hoo!![/quote]

Relax...

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you’re a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.

Alright, just read this, so everything SHOULD be fixed by tommorow:

Microsoft issued another statement, saying its technical team has isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The company says the issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. "We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT)," Microsoft said. "By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully, then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you're a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device."
Source:http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10129977-75.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

EDIT: Dammit, Dummy beat me to it.

I remember on one of the first 10 pages on the zune.net forums about the issue someone mentioned leap year. Cool that is what caused it.

Check your screens for burn-in. I can't be 100% sure until the unit is working again, but there might be some burn-in on mine where the progress bars is/was at the bottom of the screen. It's very faint(depends on how long it was on), but it might be there. Let me know if any of you guys notice anything.

bread's done
Back