ZUNE and your X360 - ZUNE HD Now in 64GB - Latest Update Now Supports AVI/XviD

So I tried to convert a VOB movie to DivX and the zune won't read it :| I am really getting annoyed of the whole conversion process. Why can't I find a good 3 step program to rip, convert and sync a movie into my zune? Average time it takes me to do all that is an hour. :|

[quote name='ITDEFX']#-o

The 64gb version is coming :|[/QUOTE]

I know. That's why the price is lower. They lowered the other two $20. I don't need 64 GB yet.
The new model is available on Microsoft's online Zune store for US$349.99. The company earlier this week dropped pricing on existing models, with the 16GB and 32GB models now costing $199.99 and $269.99, respectively.

Look I just washed a $270 piece of electronic equipment. What did I get out of it? Clean bed sheets :cry:

[quote name='slickkill77']I know. That's why the price is lower. They lowered the other two $20. I don't need 64 GB yet.
The new model is available on Microsoft's online Zune store for US$349.99. The company earlier this week dropped pricing on existing models, with the 16GB and 32GB models now costing $199.99 and $269.99, respectively.

Look I just washed a $270 piece of electronic equipment. What did I get out of it? Clean bed sheets :cry:[/QUOTE]

Problem is that I thought 32 gb was enough for my music, but given the fact that I pumped 27gb of music from my cd collection on there and the display is nice and clear, you just want to put some videos/movies on there. I still have my 120 gb zune..I would not be surprised if we see a 120gb ipod size Zune HD sometime later this year.

[quote name='ITDEFX']So I tried to convert a VOB movie to DivX and the zune won't read it :| I am really getting annoyed of the whole conversion process. Why can't I find a good 3 step program to rip, convert and sync a movie into my zune? Average time it takes me to do all that is an hour. :|[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the Zune or ZuneHD? The new firmware released last week on the ZuneHD will let it read Xvid, which is a different flavor of Divx.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Are you talking about the Zune or ZuneHD? The new firmware released last week on the ZuneHD will let it read Xvid, which is a different flavor of Divx.[/QUOTE]

Argh... you are right... Now I need to go back and find an Xvid converter.

I was initially very curious to see the Kin and what it was and was kind of excited after it was unveiled on Monday. Then continued to read about it and saw what it could/could not do and IDK what the fuck MS is thinking with it...

No apps...there's not even a damn calendar. They say its aimed towards a subset of tweens/teens, but what tween/teen in their right mind would buy this? Or ask their parents to buy this?

Tweens don't want this. They'll get laughed at by their friends who own iPhones and other smartphones they entirely do not need at their age.

If they're aiming at kids in the age range of 15-18, they're missing the target big time. When you're 15,16 or 17, it's the cool thing to own an iPhone, not a Kin.

Tying a zune pass to a 3G cell phone just makes me super excited. I mean, wifi is great, but the entire Marketplace at your fingertips 24/7, pretty much anywhere on the go? Boyoyoyoyoiing

Did the newest updated fix the screen freezing issue? Where the display doesn't come back to life, but the music still plays? And you have to jam on a bunch of buttons for it to come back?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I was initially very curious to see the Kin and what it was and was kind of excited after it was unveiled on Monday. Then continued to read about it and saw what it could/could not do and IDK what the fuck MS is thinking with it...

No apps...there's not even a damn calendar. They say its aimed towards a subset of tweens/teens, but what tween/teen in their right mind would buy this? Or ask their parents to buy this?

Tweens don't want this. They'll get laughed at by their friends who own iPhones and other smartphones they entirely do not need at their age.

If they're aiming at kids in the age range of 15-18, they're missing the target big time. When you're 15,16 or 17, it's the cool thing to own an iPhone, not a Kin.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but you either grew up rich or don't understand "tweeners"

Look - everyone doesn't have 30 dollars min laying around for their 12-15 year olds. PLUS regular data PLUS texts, which for unlimited is like 20 dollars!

That's almost as much as a cable/internet bill!!! Half the electricity!

No 12-15 year old is consistantly rocking an iphone or droid or blackberry. I'm sorry. Naw. They're rocking a free phone or getting a phone like the Kin and its ilk.

Microsoft hit a jackpot on this...because ask yourself...how many 13 year olds do you know that use their damn phone calendar?!?! You serious man???

Apps??? Come on....

They're going to love this phone because it's simple, it's facebook/twitter friendly so they can be in class posting that they're in class, and the camera will be good enough so they can send sex messages to each other.

You and I can afford iphones and droids and such and we can wait on window 7 phones....a youngin' can't unless they got money. Their older siblings can and their parents can...but they can't. That's life.

Those microsoft phones are going to do HUGE numbers. It's just like the wii to a T! Same people saw the wii and went "nobody is going to buy this...." and hundreds of millions of consoles later...

I never said 12-15, I said 15-18...you know, the high school kids? Not the middle school kids you conveniently used for your argument. No shit parents aren't going to fork over ~$40 a month for their little brat 6th - 7th grade kid for an iPhone. But are you telling me high school kids are going to want the Kin? I can't even tell you how many of my friends' siblings own iPhones, and they are right in the 15-18 age range, and they're all middle/upper middle class families. They're not exceedingly rich people.

It's not like how it was when you or I was in high school (I'm 23), where you were just happy to have a cell phone. No. The age group has skewed younger. I don't disagree with you that the Kin could be popular with kids 12-15 (I still HIGHLY doubt it) But 15-18 year olds? No fucking way. Kids today start out with their first cell phones right in that 12-15 age range...but after that, and you're in high school? Kids don't want to be playing with the same old cell phones they see the middle school/junior high kids having. Hell no. They want iPhones, Android phones.

The Kin has neat ideas, the "Spot," the Kin network, keeping your data in the cloud, that's all neat. But the phone feels like it would've been hot shit about 3 years ago. Now? No way.

I also didn't grow up rich. My parents are immigrants who own a restaurant and I don't think I'm out of touch with teens.

I'm still waiting for a larger Zune HD. I have a original zune I got from MS's Live Search club. I'm not replacing it till I can get a zune HD with more than 30 GB.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I never said 12-15, I said 15-18...you know, the high school kids? Not the middle school kids you conveniently used for your argument. No shit parents aren't going to fork over ~$40 a month for their little brat 6th - 7th grade kid for an iPhone. But are you telling me high school kids are going to want the Kin? I can't even tell you how many of my friends' siblings own iPhones, and they are right in the 15-18 age range, and they're all middle/upper middle class families. They're not exceedingly rich people.

It's not like how it was when you or I was in high school (I'm 23), where you were just happy to have a cell phone. No. The age group has skewed younger. I don't disagree with you that the Kin could be popular with kids 12-15 (I still HIGHLY doubt it) But 15-18 year olds? No fucking way. Kids today start out with their first cell phones right in that 12-15 age range...but after that, and you're in high school? Kids don't want to be playing with the same old cell phones they see the middle school/junior high kids having. Hell no. They want iPhones, Android phones.

The Kin has neat ideas, the "Spot," the Kin network, keeping your data in the cloud, that's all neat. But the phone feels like it would've been hot shit about 3 years ago. Now? No way.

I also didn't grow up rich. My parents are immigrants who own a restaurant and I don't think I'm out of touch with teens.[/QUOTE]
dude, you started out by typing tweeners....so clearly you think a 'tweener' is somehow in high school

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Did the newest updated fix the screen freezing issue? Where the display doesn't come back to life, but the music still plays? And you have to jam on a bunch of buttons for it to come back?[/QUOTE]

just happened to me last night. I was very confused & surprised by it lol

Ok why does the Zune software suck so bad? I went through and tagged each of my 4176 songs to make sure they would work but the Zune software only detects 4033. To make things even better the actual Zune itself is missing about 5 albums that are in my collection. Anyone have any advice because this is really pissing me off.

Alright thanks. Ok to add to my further annoyance the Zune software says it detects 4,500 + media items but it is still only putting 4,033 songs in my collection. Is this still most likely because of compilations?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strongpimphand']dude, you started out by typing tweeners....so clearly you think a 'tweener' is somehow in high school[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll give you that point. I shouldn't have typed tweens/teens. But instead just teens. Sue me.

Yea I'm selling this thing. I love the player but the software is the biggest piece of crap I have ever used. It doesn't recognize my music; Itunes? O yeah it recognizes every bit of it. News flash MS. People don't use your mp3 players because the software is an absolute joke

[quote name='ohboy10451']just happened to me last night. I was very confused & surprised by it lol[/QUOTE]

I usually just hit the top power button whenever this happens. It "wakes" the Zune HD right up.

[quote name='knightsdwn']I usually just hit the top power button whenever this happens. It "wakes" the Zune HD right up.[/QUOTE]

Mine does not :(

I often hit several buttons over and over, including the power button, to no avail. I eventually keep at it and the display comes back.

Also...can anyone enlighten me on how to NOT make the Zune Device itself's SmartDJ NOT suck?

It currently blows big time ass. I asked it to make a smartdj playlist for Broken Bells...it proceeded to choose like 9 Broken Bell songs and 9 Band of Horses songs.

The Zune software seems much better at picking songs.

[quote name='slickkill77']Alright thanks. Ok to add to my further annoyance the Zune software says it detects 4,500 + media items but it is still only putting 4,033 songs in my collection. Is this still most likely because of compilations?[/QUOTE]

Is this a software re-install? If so, I had a similar problem when I got my new PC. Just move your music temporarily to another folder, turn on the Zune software and it shouldn't have any music...now move the music back to the folder and see if it worked.

I didn't know you could drag and drop Zune friends onto your player and listen to their recent songs.

This is super cool.

Try it, it even adds the proper background art.

Now I can see LP's hottie on the go, if I so choose .

Why are some items listed in the Marketplace not available for download? Specifically, the Shaman's Harvest album Shine?

[quote name='FluxDF']Why are some items listed in the Marketplace not available for download? Specifically, the Shaman's Harvest album Shine?[/QUOTE]

I've seen that happen with a few albums I've looked up.

I have no idea, but I'm guessing licensing issues? The Zune MP can advertise the album, but not distribute it digitally? No idea.

[quote name='macontosh2000']I am considering getting the Zune Dock Pack from Club Bing and I am wondering if it will work with my Zune HD?[/QUOTE]

have the v2 and v3 docks. the v2 dock works fine with the hd for data, but i don't know about video out, i'm sure audio works.

[quote name='orntar']have the v2 and v3 docks. the v2 dock works fine with the hd for data, but i don't know about video out, i'm sure audio works.[/QUOTE]

Thank You.:)

[quote name='Richlough']I didn't know you could drag and drop Zune friends onto your player and listen to their recent songs.

This is super cool.

Try it, it even adds the proper background art.

Now I can see LP's hottie on the go, if I so choose .[/QUOTE]

:lol:

That's neat, I had no clue either.

BTW did the Zune brick arrive yet?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']:lol:

That's neat, I had no clue either.

BTW did the Zune brick arrive yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes , I took it apart and reset the battery to get it workable.

[quote name='Richlough']I didn't know you could drag and drop Zune friends onto your player and listen to their recent songs.

This is super cool.[/QUOTE]

Nor did I. This is kind of awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

The newest version is on clearance at Target [YMMV] .
It was only 15% at mine .

Also, the brick won't finish syncing , I thought I had it working after I force fed it the newest firmware .

Oh well , my nephew's HALO zune has a good HDD .

Now is there a bug in the Zune HD or software because I had to manually insert album art for some of my albums only to find out they don't show up on the zune but show up fine on the software.

Also is there anyway to remove 3rd party apps from the zune? It won't let me remove it manually nor does it show up in the zune library

[quote name='orntar']there are 3 new apps in the market place.

Solitaire, Labyrinth, and a Stopwatch[/QUOTE]

The Ipod is looking very attractive all of a sudden. Was it this bad when the App Store launched for the Ipod Touch or did they have like 1k apps from day one? I am seeing nothing but garbage on the Zune Marketplace.

[quote name='ITDEFX']The Ipod is looking very attractive all of a sudden. Was it this bad when the App Store launched for the Ipod Touch or did they have like 1k apps from day one? I am seeing nothing bug garbage on the Zune Marketplace.[/QUOTE]
i don't remember how many apps it launched with, but i didn't buy the hd for apps.

bread's done
Back