Zune or Ipod?

Soujiro_Seta

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey
I dont know if this has been asked. But im in the market for a new mp3 player my 256 isnt cutting it anymore. So now im trying to decide which to get a 30 gig ipod or a zune? Anyone have any suggestions? Hows the zune software? Thanks ^_^

Check out reviews for the Zune and see if you likeit more than the ipod. I don't think its out it (either that or it came out very recently, I'm not too sure on the release date).

From someone who's used an ipod, I'd recommend the Zen Vision: M over it any day. I haven't used a Zune, so I can't comment on that. Try going into your local BB or CC or something and see if they have one out for people to look at.

The Zune just came out today. I'm also in the market for a mp3 player. I was learning towards the zen vision m, and I'm going to wait a little to see what everybody says about the zune.

I just got a Zune today(a owner of every gen Ipod so far) And I have to say I like it a lot better then the Ipod, The FM radio is pretty neat, It even shows the name of the station what they play and the name of the artist and song. The best thing so far of it is the "Feel" It doesnt have the easily scratched metal on the back of the unit like a Ipod and it feels more sturdy. The options are better setup and I like the Wifi feature. Over all I would call this a better product then the Ipod so far but, being I have only had it for 1 day only time will tell.

Zune=$210 for 30GB unit with the CC $40 off coupon (LOL!)

Is the screen bright enough on the Zune? I checked out them demo at CC today, and it didn't seem very bright, and I made sure it was on the highest setting. Also, which product is more difficult to put videos on? I heard it's a pain in the ass to get videos on the ipod, and I know I already have a bunch of WMVs.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Is the screen bright enough on the Zune? I checked out them demo at CC today, and it didn't seem very bright, and I made sure it was on the highest setting. Also, which product is more difficult to put videos on? I heard it's a pain in the ass to get videos on the ipod, and I know I already have a bunch of WMVs.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too at my CC's demo unit. When I set mine Up it was alot brighter. Just as bright as a Ipod video. There was a firmware upgrade ready right off the bat so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. WMVs are no problem.

Im gonna look into the zen vision m. But i might wait a week or 2 to see how the zune does. Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. Keep them coming :)

I just picked up the Zune tonight. I've never had an ipod or any other mp3 player besides my PSP, and have been wanting one for awhile. The only reason I got it tonight was because it came with a free $25 gift card and I was able to get 10% off it on top of that at Target. I haven't opened it yet and will wait a few days to do so to make sure I didn't make a mistake and that these things aren't shitty. I thought the demo unit at Target was pretty cool, but I might still swap it out for an ipod video. Does anybody have a link to some reviews?

I would recommend an iPod or, if you're one of those who's anti-Apple I would go with something like an iRiver Clix or Creative device. The only substantial thing the Zune has to offer that those devices don't is it's weird WiFi "sharing"- which, by the way, wraps shared music in DRM that allows to to only be played 3 times, even if the original song on the device was in an non copy protected format.

I third the Creative Zen Vision: M (30GB version probably)

Works great. If you do get this, you should get the video out cable. The cheapest one I have seen is at DayDeal.com and they work great.

[quote name='Quackzilla']okay, zen vision m is the best you can buy.

Anything else and you an idiot.[/quote]Have you tried out everything else?
No?
Then shut up.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Have you tried out everything else?
No?
Then shut up.[/QUOTE]
yes, I have tried everything but the zune, which is a newcomer on the market.

I was just about to ask the same exact question. I too am trying to decide between the Ipod, Zen, and Zune. I've always liked the style and simplicity of Ipods, but I've heard a lot of complaints about how easily they scratch and their terrible battery life. I checked out the Zune today at Target and was pretty impressed with the interface, but I couldn't get the damn thing to play anything (maybe the speakers they had it hooked up to weren't on). I think I like the click wheel on the Ipod better than the little nub thing the Zune has, and the Zune was also a little larger than the Ipod. I've never really messed with a Zen so I can't comment on that.

Will the Zune or Itunes software give me a hard time if none of my songs were bought from them and acquired elsewhere? Also, I really like to have the album art along with my songs, are both of these conducive to having that?

[quote name='gofishn']Will the Zune or Itunes software give me a hard time if none of my songs were bought from them and acquired elsewhere? Also, I really like to have the album art along with my songs, are both of these conducive to having that?[/quote]

What I hear about the Zen is that music from other places such as yahoo or rhapsody won't work on it. Only music purchase from the zune shop or whatever.

[quote name='chodax']Yea Zen M is by far the best. Ipods freeze a lot and the battery life sucks.[/QUOTE]

do you have empirical evidence to back that up? I've owned my 30 gig 5gen ipod since june, and i've never once had it freeze. Also, I generally get about 10-12 hours of battery playing music... which is more than sufficient for my purposes, but has apparently been increased dramatically with the 5.5gen release.

Im going to look into getting a Zune since my ipod just flatlined. Ive had it for about 3 years so I don't have any complaints about it, but the Zune having a FM tuner is a pretty big deal to me.

Anyone see the JetAudio(Cowon) A2? I just saw it....it looks awesome....It supports UMS which the Vision M doesn't(recognized by computer without software), it has a/v in/out, up to 10 hours video, actually comes with a charger. This player seems awesome. It cost a bit though($370 retail for 30GB).

[quote name='chodax']Yea Zen M is by far the best. Ipods freeze a lot and the battery life sucks.[/quote]
Never had the Ipod freeze once, except if you count the terrible upgrade to Itunes 7.0/7.1 which was more to do with faulty software then anything, but easily fixed.

My battery is still fine and I've had it for a year.

[quote name='gofishn']I was just about to ask the same exact question. I too am trying to decide between the Ipod, Zen, and Zune. I've always liked the style and simplicity of Ipods, but I've heard a lot of complaints about how easily they scratch and their terrible battery life. I checked out the Zune today at Target and was pretty impressed with the interface, but I couldn't get the damn thing to play anything (maybe the speakers they had it hooked up to weren't on). I think I like the click wheel on the Ipod better than the little nub thing the Zune has, and the Zune was also a little larger than the Ipod. I've never really messed with a Zen so I can't comment on that.

Will the Zune or Itunes software give me a hard time if none of my songs were bought from them and acquired elsewhere? Also, I really like to have the album art along with my songs, are both of these conducive to having that?[/quote]

There is plenty of software outside of Itunes that you can use to transfer your songs onto the Ipod, or you can simply run and use Itunes which is fine. No issue what so ever with putting on songs you've gotten elsewhere;). Simple drag and drop transfer for the most part. And I know that through Itunes using either Itunes Art Importer or just the standard itunes it's not too difficult to place artwork with your songs.

[quote name='gofishn']How do these 3 react to music ripped from CDs or acquired via other means?[/quote]

No issue at all with the IPod;) I rip my cds all the time.

I want to pick up a Zune just to see what I can mess with and augment it.

I think I'm going to go with a Zune because it seems like it will be easier to get videos on there, and I can stream stuff to my 360. I'll check out the Creative Zen M though... it looks like it accepts a lot of video formats, but it looks bulky.

It may depend on what you're really looking for. If you just want an mp3 player, I say go for the iPod. Specifically the Nano. Good battery life, flash memory (so it doesn't freeze, or have any actual moving parts that get disturbed by motion).

On the other hand, if you're looking to watch videos on the go, perhaps the Zune is what you want, since it has such a large screen.

[quote name='Lv99 Slacker']If you guys want to see a world of daps outside of the offerings of Apple, Creative, Microsoft, etc:

Dap Review[/quote]

is that guy austin still running that site?

[quote name='mkg12']Anyone see the JetAudio(Cowon) A2? I just saw it....it looks awesome....It supports UMS which the Vision M doesn't(recognized by computer without software), it has a/v in/out, up to 10 hours video, actually comes with a charger. This player seems awesome. It cost a bit though($370 retail for 30GB).[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say...I have one. I've had it since the summer. I've owned an iPod (check the name ;)), iRiver, Creative, Archos, etc. Beats the hell out of all of them. By far the easiest to use. I paid like $380 with shipping from Amazon. I highly recommend it to everyone. We have a decent sized community on iAudiophile.net comprized of mostly foreigners, although some Americans have A2s.

cowona2_small.jpg

4 inch screen, 12 hours+ of battery life with video, Radio...The best.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']is that guy austin still running that site?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Austin Vaughan still runs Dap.

[quote name='chodax']Yea Zen M is by far the best. Ipods freeze a lot and the battery life sucks.[/QUOTE]

He posted it twice!!! IT must be TRUE!

[quote name='jPoD']I was gonna say...I have one. I've had it since the summer. I've owned an iPod (check the name ;)), iRiver, Creative, Archos, etc. Beats the hell out of all of them. By far the easiest to use. I paid like $380 with shipping from Amazon. I highly recommend it to everyone. We have a decent sized community on iAudiophile.net comprized of mostly foreigners, although some Americans have A2s.

cowona2_small.jpg

4 inch screen, 12 hours+ of battery life with video, Radio...The best.[/QUOTE]

That thing looks pretty impressive. How does it compare to the iPod in terms of size?

To say the least, the thing is huge. You really cant do much about it, the screen is almost 2x the size of the iPod's. It really isnt a big deal. I'm smaller, but I carry it around in my pocket no problem. Just think about having a PSP on you. No big deal.

I just opened my Zune tonight and I'm really enjoying it. It's really easy to use and the quality of everything is great. Very happy I got this instead of the ipod video.

I bought myself a Zune last night at Target, and got a $25 gift card plus 10% off because my friend works there. It's awesome. I got the brown after debating over that and the black. Very simple to use, very durable feeling. The screen is bright, that was one of my concerns, but it's great. It extremely easy to get videos loaded on it, and music sounds great. I've put tons of music videos, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Lost, Howard Stern On Demand, Family Guy, and South Park episodes on it in no time. My only complaints would be that it's Wifi feature is totally under used, and I'm hoping MS adresses that with a firmware update in the future. Also, it is slightly larger than the Ipod video, but I can tell is 100x more scratch resistant.

My girlfriend, who has a 5th generation 30gb video ipod, prefers the Zune to it as well. Now I have to buy her one for Christmas. :|

[quote name='Jewelz23']Just wait for the next iPod to be released, I have no doubt in my mind that it will CRUSH the Zune.[/QUOTE]

Probably, but then the next best will come out and crush that, and so on, and so on, and so on.... when can a nigga ever buy something without the next best thing coming!?!?! What I'm saying is that something newer, and hotter is always around the corner, but even knowing that I'm happy with the Zune still because it's so simple to use, and has such a comfortable design. I can see myself not caring to upgrade to anything else regardless of what may, or may not, come out for a few years.

Plus, I really dislike Itunes, and iPod's video format... makes putting content that I get for free off the net on there waaaaaay too much of a hassle.

bread's done
Back