Zune vs. iPod vs. Creative Zen M & W?

Chris in Cali

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (88%)
My Zune had a very unfortunate accident, now I'm in the market for another mp3 player. I loved the Zune, but don't know if I should go back to it or not. It's just going to be damn hard to go down to a smaller screen after getting used to the Zune's.

I'm looking at the 5.5gen iPod video, Creative Zen M & W, and of coruse, the Zune. I don't know much about the Creative Zen W, I know it's much larger, but is it any good?

Also, is there a car charger for the Zen Vision W... I can't find proof of one anywhere.

The Zen Vision W seems to be the best option if you are serious about watching videos on the go. It is also priceier than the other two as well. If you are more concerned about music than video I'd say go with the Vision M because the size and weight of the W seems like it could be cumbersome at times. Also recently recieving an iPod I have to say I enjoy the massive amount of accessories you have at your disposal.

I did some research on all of these PVPs before xmas (turns out I got an iPod for xmas). The best of the bunch from what I read review-wise and gathered opinions looked to be the Cowon A2 with the Archos 504/604 a very close second if not a tie. The Vision W seemed good too, but didn't seem to have the same amount of features as the others. Cowon is also getting ready to launch the A3 which is the followup to the A2.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']The Zen Vision W seems to be the best option if you are serious about watching videos on the go. It is also priceier than the other two as well. If you are more concerned about music than video I'd say go with the Vision M because the size and weight of the W seems like it could be cumbersome at times. Also recently recieving an iPod I have to say I enjoy the massive amount of accessories you have at your disposal.

I did some research on all of these PVPs before xmas (turns out I got an iPod for xmas). The best of the bunch from what I read review-wise and gathered opinions looked to be the Cowon A2 with the Archos 504/604 a very close second if not a tie. The Vision W seemed good too, but didn't seem to have the same amount of features as the others. Cowon is also getting ready to launch the A3 which is the followup to the A2.[/QUOTE]

:D

ook. I'm really not a big audiophile even though I do visit Head-Fi occasionally. Music sounds the same to me.

Those Cowons are really nice, but that stuff is a little out of my price range.... I'm trying to keep it under $300 before tax.

I want to go with the Zune again because it's so easy to use, and it's screen is a nice compromise between the Zen W, and iPod video.

I want the iPod for the accesories, and battery life.

I want the Creative Zen Vision M for the format support. I want the W for the screen size.

Yeah, Cowon's done a great job. Anyway, if anyone is interested in an A2, mine is potentially on the market...I still have the original plastic film over it :p

[quote name='jPoD']ook. I'm really not a big audiophile even though I do visit Head-Fi occasionally. Music sounds the same to me.[/QUOTE]

For the most part mp3 does the job for me as long as its compressed right. But stuff like concert bootlegs and a few really sonically driven albums I need to listen to it in an format like SHN or FLAC since the sound quality is what is the upmost importance.

Depends on your hearing. I can tell the difference between FLAC/SHN/WAV/CD compared to mp3. However I can live with mp3 for most stuff.

Then again I can tell the difference between SACD and CD too. Go figure right.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Those Cowons are really nice, but that stuff is a little out of my price range.... I'm trying to keep it under $300 before tax.

I want to go with the Zune again because it's so easy to use, and it's screen is a nice compromise between the Zen W, and iPod video.

I want the iPod for the accesories, and battery life.

I want the Creative Zen Vision M for the format support. I want the W for the screen size.[/QUOTE]

You can get a 30gb A2 for around $20-25 more, under $300 for the 20gb version. Sure it's a little more expensive but you get alot more as far as features.

As for the rest, sounds like a tough decision. My only advice would be to first weigh exactly how much time you'll spend listening to music on it vs. watching videos. That should narrow it down a little.

Also, if you are a fan of the Zune's screen size more than anything you may take a look at the Toshiba Gigabeat S. Same screen size and even similar functionality to the Zune, but it seems to have gotten more praise from reviews.

[quote name='jPoD']I understand. I have some live DMB stuff, but I still cant tell the difference. idk. :)[/quote]

Maybe it's the speakers?

I can tell the difference as well. It just comes down to clarity and after checking out a number of albums on FLAC, I can definitely say that FLAC is the way to go. I've never heard anything through the SHN format. Bass reproduction I think is the biggest issue with the mp3 format I believe. I just new speakers and the difference was much easier to spot.

[quote name='rvdrock']What "accident" occurred?[/QUOTE]

I was wearing some cargo pants with those little side slit pockets, the ones that make everything in them fall out when you sit down. Well, I was playing with my girlfriend's dog in her driveway, sitting down right behind my parked car. I guess my Zune slipped out of my pocket, in direct line of my tire because I backed right over it when I left her house. It technically still works, but the screen is really scuffed up, and useless for videos.

But it still plays music, thats pretty bad ass that it could take a car rolling over it...but yeah that does suck

bread's done
Back