The Club - Gen. Discussion & Info

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)

Features
Step into the shoes of eight modern-day gladiators thrown in an underground bloodsport controlled by a faceless, obscenely wealthy elite who place their bets on who will survive the bloodbath before them. Do you have what it takes to survive in The Club™?
  • Rise through the ranks: Choose from eight different characters to rise through the ranks, uncovering each person's true motives and intentions. Blast your way through five single player game modes including Sprint, Time Attack, Survivor, Siege, and Run the Gauntlet.
  • Earn respect online: Shoot to the top of the Leaderboards in over eight cutthroat multiplayer modes. Face off against 7 other opponents online in real-time or battle offline with 4-player split-screen action.
  • Go global with The Club: Gamers battle in eight unique real-world locations from around the globe, including war-torn cities, abandoned factories, steel mills, and more.
  • Take part in extreme gun battles: A motion blur camera system intensifies the adrenaline rush in both open range and close-quarter firefights. Players can destroy and manipulate objects in the environment to their advantage.
  • Build up your score: A unique score-based accumulation system creates even more competition among players. Score more points by being faster, more efficient and accurate, then use those points to unlock weapons, characters and maps.
  • Pick your favorite weapon: Choose from 17 customizable high-powered assault weapons, including automatic weapons, sniper rifles, high-caliber pistols, submachine guns, mounted weapons, and many more.

30323-the_club.jpg

http://www.destructoid.com/first-info-and-screen-sega-and-bizarre-creation-s-the-club-30323.phtml

Personally I like the aspect of just focusing on a short shootout. It brings in an arcade feel while the style element will probably add the level of depth.

I didn't give a crap when I heard it announced and thought it as a crappy "thug" cash in, but sounds nice now.

New images:

the-club-20070412110057916_thumb.jpg
the-club-20070412110059650_thumb.jpg
the-club-20070412110100900_thumb.jpg
the-club-20070412110102181_thumb.jpg
the-club-20070412110103462_thumb.jpg

Full res images: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/760/760741/imgs_1.html

The Club looks to grab gamers with a fast-paced arcade approach to shooters. Designed from a third-person perspective and using quick mechanics and fluid gameplay design, Bizarre hopes to reel gamers in with the Club's broad appeal and then keep them coming back with its addictive pace, progression scheme and perhaps a few beers after a night at the pub. The Club debuted at E3 2006 behind closed doors at a very early stage. This interview was actually push back a few weeks because Bizarre wanted to show off the latest look at the game with fresh screenshots.

Q&A with devolopers here: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/780/780007p1.html

While part of me is interested, I dislike that there are only 8 character choices so you can't "un-thug" your character if you want to. They better release a demo and it better be good, otherwise this looks like another 25 to Life.

The "team" that brought us Geometry Wars? GW was written by 1 guy. Perhaps attributing PGR to them would be more accurate.

If we're lucky we might be able to try out the demo for this tomorrow:

This weekend we mentioned that The Club demo was headed to the Xbox Live Marketplace "soonish" and that it would have a staggered region release. Well, we didn't have to wait long for SEGA to confirm news that tomorrow morning, January 8th, The Club demo will release to the XBLM for our friends in the UK and Australia. You read correctly. The US, Canada, Mexico and every other Live region is being left out of demo goodness for the time being, so be proud fellow UK and Aussie Live subscribers. You're getting content first for a change. W00t for you.
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/01/07/the-club-demo-releases-to-uk-xblm-tomorrow/

I'm interested to hear what people think about the demo. Heard next to nothing about this game thus far.

I tried to download it last night, but no go. Currently only available to Gold members. Not sure if this one is region locked, Operation Darkness had the same message for a few days, once it was available it came up with "not available at your location" message.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165823

Not really, there's no cover system, it's all about sprinting around levels, and it has plenty of influence from PGR.[/quote]
Never really played PGR. Thats that racing game, right? Could you explain how that translate into this?

No cover system sucks. Maybe it could be the 360's SOCOM.

EDIT: Just read the OP of the topic Frisky linked to. This game sounds like complete shit. Nevermind!

[quote name='help1']Never really played PGR. Thats that racing game, right? Could you explain how that translate into this?

No cover system sucks. Maybe it could be the 360's SOCOM.

EDIT: Just read the OP of the topic Frisky linked to. This game sounds like complete shit. Nevermind![/quote]
The two events in the demo are essentially lap (run around this level three times) and point-to-point racing, but you get to shoot people along the way. The other three event types are more like you'd expect in a standard shooter. The limited multiplayer in the demo felt a bit tacked on, so you may not want to bank on this being a great multiplayer game.

I wouldn't say it's crap, but it's not going to be something everybody gets and enjoys. Definitely play the demo whenever you get it and try it out. It'll probably be more appealing when it's down to $30-$40.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Demo now availble in the US...its pretty good definately recommend you download it and give it a shot.[/quote]

really? i thought it was exceptionally shitty..the best part was the intro movie

wasn't technically bad, but gave off a corny, teenage "guns are cool and so is killing shit" vibe. reminded me a bit of a 90's action movie. definitely doesn't seem like a $60 game.

[quote name='Apossum']wasn't technically bad, but gave off a corny, teenage "guns are cool and so is killing shit" vibe. reminded me a bit of a 90's action movie. definitely doesn't seem like a $60 game.[/QUOTE]

I didn't really get that vibe. They didn't really go into detail over the guns or anything. It's basically run and gun and rack up a score, I honestly paid very little attention to the character or what gun I had mostly just run and shoot the targets ahead.

[quote name='Malik112099']What baffles me is why isnt sprinting the default and rb for walkimg?[/quote]

If you're trying to pinpoint shoot by zooming, would you REALLY like to ALWAYS be stuck in a run, and need to hold 2 buttons down to calm your aiming down to a manageable speed?

Anyway, I rather enjoyed the demo. Especially because it's "Arcadey". Arcade style games I can come back to for years on end, most modern "epic" games I play through once, and that's about all I care for from their stories.

I keep hearing complaints about the lack of a "story" mode in this game, for that matter, but isn't that one of the greyed-out options?

I'm rather interested to see what all the unlockable stuff is in this game. Will it be gameplay related or just cosmetic upgrades for characters?

After all the comments I heard from the PS3 and other Nations opinions, I was expecting A LOT worse. But it's definately a fun game, and the demo has me interested!

Anyone play this demo yet? It's fucking intense, and really good. If you're a score addict, check this one out, I just spent about an hour trying to improve my score.

Really fucking good shit.

The controls to me felt really, really bad. I only played it for a few minutes though. I'll give it another shot, otherwise I'll probably pick it up when it's under 10 dollars.

I enjoyed it. Seemed to me that this game is to normal 3rd person shooters what Burnout is to racing games. Emphasis on speed, timing, taking enemies out and score.

[quote name='akilshohen']it's like outtrigger, but with less speed.[/QUOTE]

or RE4, with less awesome.

The game benefit a lot from a faster pace, more enemies that take less shots, more evasive moves, and...fuck, I'll just say it: mouse and keyboard. just forget I said that last part :lol:

I for one had a lot of fun with the demo and trying to get better scores. I think I'll really enjoy renting this one. It's not quite deep enough for $60. LOTS of fun though if you like going for better scores and perfecting chains and scoring.

For some reason, the game premise reminds me of something Rockstar would've released back in 2002 for the PS2. If you like linear, shoot em up games with a retarded storyline (Twisted Metal isn't the place to steal from for a good story) then get this game.

bread's done
Back