Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

• Please log in to reply
2065 replies to this topic

#871 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:50 AM

Does anyone know where I can find DiRT? I mean, I saw it on Amazon.ca for $40, and Ebay is similar. Is the game getting rare or something, or why is it still at such a high price?
At one point, I saw it used at BBV for $10...

Posted Image

http://www.gaminglagoon.com/?ref=49176 <--Gaming Lagoon - Xbox live points, Wii points, Amazon gift cards, etc. :D

http://www.prizerebe...index.php?r=113 <-- PrizeRebel

Points2Shop <-- Points2Shop

#872 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured I'd try anyway. I'm planning on importing a game from play-asia (the Rockman Dash Value Pack, after shipping it should end up being over $50 Canadian), but I've never imported anything before, so I'm not sure on how this works. Would I have to pay import taxes or anything like that?

Or is there a cheaper place to import games to Canada other than play-asia?

I had to pay when i got a Dualshock controller from them. I think the policy is that under $20 = no duty. Over that, they seem to charge you the equivalent of sales tax in your province, plus a $5 handling fee. So for example in Ontario they will convert the price of the item to Canadian currency, charge me 13% of that, plus $5. Sometimes you can get lucky and squeak through with no charge. Stores won't usually do this, but if the package is marked as a "gift" then the item can be worth more before they tax it, like $60 or something. I don't know if these policies have changed since my experience.

#873 kgroat

kgroat

In the end? Nothing ends

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

I've ordered things from play-asia and its about 50/50 chance you get caught with paying duties at least that is how its been in my experiences
Posted Image

#874 TronB

TronB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

Ouch...I really don't want to have to end up paying like $60-70 for this game. If only I could avoid those darn import taxes...

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but at least I have some information now. :-#

#875 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

TronB: Here's a trade secret among P-A customers;
Spoiler

#876 RobMinhas

RobMinhas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:57 AM

Anyone know where i can get gears of war 2 used or new for a reasonable price? If so where and how much?
thanks

#877 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

I'm still wondering the same as well for DiRT (360). Anyone seen a cheap copy?

Posted Image

http://www.gaminglagoon.com/?ref=49176 <--Gaming Lagoon - Xbox live points, Wii points, Amazon gift cards, etc. :D

#878 TripleQ

TripleQ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:05 AM

I have seen DiRT used at BBV for $9.99 but I think that was before they jacked up their prices a few months ago. Also they sold pretty fast at that price so good luck finding one.

#879 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:09 AM

I'm still wondering the same as well for DiRT (360). Anyone seen a cheap copy?

i saw one for 9.99 at BBV at richmond hill... are you around richmond hill? ( this was.... less then a month ago)

#880 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

Any idea why they would be selling at 40$ on amazon? I mean, I also saw it a few months ago at 9.99...so I was wondering why the price would have just apparently seemed to jump like that.

Posted Image

#881 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

^ when i first saw it, i thought it was a mediocre racing game? huh... no idea man...

sort of like F1 for Ps3 maybe. ive been searching for that game, never found one.

#882 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

Anyone know where I can get cheap copies of any of the DragonBall/Z/GT on GBA in Toronto?

Same goes for DragonBall GT: Final Bout for PS.

Same also goes for Zelda: Twillight Princess, but I know that one will never happen.

#883 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

^ im looking into LZ : TP for the gamecube myself. it goes for 40 bux used still ;'( !!

#884 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

I'm looking for the Wii version.

#885 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:53 AM

i believe wii version goes for 59.99 new? :/

#886 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:56 AM

Earth Defense force is the same way. I've been keeping the lookout on that game for a loooong time, and have never even found it anywhere at any price. It's like 35 or 40 bucks with shipping on ebay which is brutal. More hesitant to trade some games in lately as I don't know if I'll ever be able to find them in a local store again.

Posted Image

#887 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

there was a article done that i read few month back, saying that retailers alike will stop ordering so much of the "mediocre" titles, and stop ordering crappy games at all. it warned that if it wasn't a Triple A title, it would be hard to find.... guess it turned out to be true... i haven't seen Golden Axe :P hear about that game? it's full of smelly stench. ( see what i did there?)

#888 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

i believe wii version goes for 59.99 new? :/

Which sucks since I actually have played through the Gamecube verison of the game. The only reason I want the Wii version is to be able to play Tatsunoko VS. Capcom on my Wii.

#889 Teddite

Teddite

Name's Ash. Housewares.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

Earth Defense force is the same way. I've been keeping the lookout on that game for a loooong time, and have never even found it anywhere at any price. It's like 35 or 40 bucks with shipping on ebay which is brutal. More hesitant to trade some games in lately as I don't know if I'll ever be able to find them in a local store again.

The only place with a low price I've seen is Blockbuster. It's been a $10 game for a few months now.

#890 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:05 AM

there was a article done that i read few month back, saying that retailers alike will stop ordering so much of the "mediocre" titles, and stop ordering crappy games at all. it warned that if it wasn't a Triple A title, it would be hard to find.... guess it turned out to be true... i haven't seen Golden Axe :P hear about that game? it's full of smelly stench. ( see what i did there?)

I see stacks of Golden Axe at my local EB Games.

Does what you're saying mean what I think it means? More NIS America, and Atlus games on the shelves, and a lot less Imagine: My Dog IS cooler the yours, and Petz: Dinosaur Eating a Rock on the shelves?

#891 Bencherstyle

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

if only dude.... if only. those games get alot of sales (most of those are Wii and DS games) from 3-6 year olds... which are alot. trust me, i know alot of kindergartens( i student taught them for months) who got DSs and Wiis for christmas.... alot of them!

and when you are that age, you don't that which titles are good or bad....
i remeber when i baught really crappy crappy games when i was younger..

#892 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:44 AM

So what would be a decent deal then for a game like DiRT? Since it was 10$ a few months ago where I'm at, is it worth 20$, 30$ or what? Will its price go up even higher in the next few months?

Posted Image

#893 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:36 AM

Does what you're saying mean what I think it means? More NIS America, and Atlus games on the shelves, and a lot less Imagine: My Dog IS cooler the yours, and Petz: Dinosaur Eating a Rock on the shelves?

Dude, the first publisher does spotty at best to broke, buggy and nigh-unplayable at worst localisations while the latter not only do small print runs but also don't ship to nearly as many retailers as most publishers. Keep dreaming for either of those scenarios cause it'll never happen.

Another thing to note, shovelware are not only cheap to make, their sticker price is cheap as well so they're also impulse buys whereas neither NIS or Atlus console games will be below 40 bucks (FES is an exception) and will never get a price drop.

#894 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Does anyone know where I can find Excite Truck without having to pay $55 at EB for it?
EDIT: NM, found a decent one on eBay.

Excite Truck is a good game. a great game actually. I love it to death but it was never worth $60. and that game really does refuse to drop in price. I picked up 3-4 copies on clearance in the states a while back and at something like $20 I'm glad I got it but I can't believe it's still so high.

^ im looking into LZ : TP for the gamecube myself. it goes for 40 bux used still ;'( !!

I've missed out on so many deals I just knew you had to get the cube version first. I need the Wii version but there's time for that later. maybe Amazon will have a sale. it's rare but it does happen.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#895 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

Dude, the first publisher does spotty at best to broke, buggy and nigh-unplayable at worst localisations while the latter not only do small print runs but also don't ship to nearly as many retailers as most publishers. Keep dreaming for either of those scenarios cause it'll never happen.

Another thing to note, shovelware are not only cheap to make, their sticker price is cheap as well so they're also impulse buys whereas neither NIS or Atlus console games will be below 40 bucks (FES is an exception) and will never get a price drop.

Do you find joy in crushing the dreams and hopes of teenagers? :cry:

if only dude.... if only. those games get alot of sales (most of those are Wii and DS games) from 3-6 year olds... which are alot. trust me, i know alot of kindergartens( i student taught them for months) who got DSs and Wiis for christmas.... alot of them!

and when you are that age, you don't that which titles are good or bad....
i remeber when i baught really crappy crappy games when i was younger..

When I was a kid I bought licensed games based on the stuff I watched on TV. Some were good, most were bad. But I never bought a game telling me to be a fashion designer, to raise dogs/cats/hamsters/horses, only to raise Pokemon and Digimon.

#896 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

http://www.amazon.ca...36561939&sr=8-3

Game prices are strange. Some middle-of-the-road third-party titles get a small release then quietly disappear. Some get reprints (Clubhouse Games for DS is one) and some become worth much more due more to its rarity than its quality.

I believe Warioware Smooth Moves for Wii is also pretty high on eBay.

#897 Spades22

Spades22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

wow that is SWEET! What the heck is samurai warriors? Anyway...gotta get that...can just give samurai warriors to EB. But there is no stock right now and waiting 3 weeks is kind of crappy.

Posted Image

#898 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

Samurai Warriours is Dynasty Warriours but with, yes you guessed it ... Samurai! Same dev and everything, so if you like to kill a billion idiot enemies with a swing of your weapon, the game is for you.

#899 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

When I was a kid I bought licensed games based on the stuff I watched on TV. Some were good, most were bad. But I never bought a game telling me to be a fashion designer, to raise dogs/cats/hamsters/horses, only to raise Pokemon and Digimon.

you sir are implying that Pokémon isn't awesome? the only thing less than stellar about pokémon is that i was in high school when it came out and as a high schooler (junior) it was kinda awkward that the only people i had to trade with was my neighbor's kids. don't get me wrong they love me but all the same they were like 8-10 year olds. it's a tough choice b/w getting an electabuzz and my parents thinking i'm weird.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#900 Dragon52

Dragon52

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

you sir are implying that Pokémon isn't awesome? the only thing less than stellar about pokémon is that i was in high school when it came out and as a high schooler (junior) it was kinda awkward that the only people i had to trade with was my neighbor's kids. don't get me wrong they love me but all the same they were like 8-10 year olds. it's a tough choice b/w getting an electabuzz and my parents thinking i'm weird.

Nah I have nothing agaisnt Pokemon (except its' anime is pretty crusty). Heck I'm anticipating the release of Platnium...

I meant more so then raising virtual cats and dogs in my youth I was too busy training my electric rodents.