Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

This thread is a good idea. My last question is about BBV Trade 4 and is in that thread, so I don't have any question for this thread... for now at least!

eh I'm not too huge on a question thread.

I like small questions delagated here. But for like a discussion thread on online rental places isn't bad to have at all.

Our forum isn't ever flooded. Also a topic for the best deal on the current hot systems is never bad either.

However to answer webrunner.

I believe BBV is doing trade any 4 x360s for a brawl preorder. call them and ask.

EB might have trade 3 with 8$ TIV for it. Again I advise calling and asking.

And also its January the warmest time for deals.

I do understand what you're saying.

Like Is this a good tv thread bugs me. But I have no problem with a specific deal hunting thread as long as theres not a copycat thread.

[quote name='gamer602']I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE![/quote]

I will assume that was directed to me, since I was the one that posted that (lol). As much as I do agree that a question thread would be helpful and in a lot of ways my burnout question could have been in a thread like this, I would have to disagree that the topic itself is not regarding any deals itself.

Of course the topic was about Burnout deals and I even offered the only one to my knowledge. People also gave their knowledge on any deals relating to the game (but unforutunately was unable to add to the FS one).

Sorry for seeming... whatever you want to see me as... but I'm a little tired. Again, I do think this thread could help.

Did anyone compare Playstation 3, as a blu-ray movie player, to other blu-ray players?

I am looking to convince my father that we buy a PS3 as a blu-ray player.

Does it have a good Load time?

Is it «Full HD»?

Does it play [FONT=&quot]BD-R and BD-RE media.?

[/FONT]

I've always wondered what the best places to get games for (and what games I should look for) the Trade 3 at EB and Trade 4 at BBV are.. any help?

[quote name='lisdoncca']Did anyone compare Playstation 3, as a blu-ray movie player, to other blu-ray players?

I am looking to convince my father that we buy a PS3 as a blu-ray player.

Does it have a good Load time?

Is it «Full HD»?

Does it play [FONT=&quot]BD-R and BD-RE media.?

[/FONT][/quote]
PS3 is the best Blu-Ray player available. It is "Full HD" 1080p via HDMI. As well as also playing games, as a Blu-Ray player it is currently one of the only players that has profile 1. Profile 2.0 (BD Live is coming later this year). PS3 also has a harddrive and its own dedicated update system, meaning any Blu-Ray updates will be incuded in the PS3's updates.

Show that paragraph to your dad, and enjoy your PS3.

[quote name='Kekumba']I've always wondered what the best places to get games for (and what games I should look for) the Trade 3 at EB and Trade 4 at BBV are.. any help?[/quote]
BBV Trade 4 is usually better. There TIVs are higher, meaning most games will work. EB games TIVs are usually terrible, so most games won't work as trade 3, unless there newish.

Both stores require a minimum TIV of 8$ as of now, I believe. Although a game that is worth 4$ at EB may be worth 10$ at BBV.

[quote name='Kekumba']I've always wondered what the best places to get games for (and what games I should look for) the Trade 3 at EB and Trade 4 at BBV are.. any help?[/quote]

It will vary depanding on the combos you have. However, I trade way more often at EB, cause I can find 3 games for around 20 bucks!

Sigh, i really dont want to post the list here, but here's a tip many 9.99 games at BBV and RV will work. There's a 30% discount at RV right now, whch makes the games 6.99. You'll be shocked at what games qualify. Ill give you an example: Pirate 3: At World End PS2 Trades in at 10 dollars!!! Now go find your own games, there are tons more!

[quote name='gamer602']Sigh, i really dont want to post the list here, but here's a tip many 9.99 games at BBV and RV will work. There's a 30% discount at RV right now, whch makes the games 6.99. You'll be shocked at what games qualify. Ill give you an example: Pirate 3: At World End PS2 Trades in at 10 dollars!!! Now go find your own games, there are tons more![/quote]

Haha, you start a Q&A thread, but don't feel like giving the answers?

Classic.

Games will go down in TIV really fast if they are used by a lot of people... it's kinda normal for him not to give a whole list. Pretty understandable, considering human nature.

It is easy to go at EBgames (or some other place, depending of you area), write down names of games you find cheap (but know they are kinda «recent»), then go to Blockbuster and say these names (they can make searched in theur computer), and note the ones with suffisent value.

I also asked the question about cheap games at EBGames, but can understand that someone does not necessary want to give all the info on a public forum.

I just called all the EBGames, futureshop and best buy stores around Scraborough, Ontario and none of them had Guitar Hero III wireless bundle for 360.

Does anyone know where I could get one?

I can never find any qualifying games myself. So can't help you there. However if someone hasa minilist they can pm me. I'd be eternally grateful.

My local Rogers Videos have lame selection, but keep track of the newer non-sports releases and wait for sales. For example, Naruto Uzumaki Chronicles for PS2 is $19.99 - 30% at Rogers, and trades for a whopping $16 at EB. No one's going to fight with you over that game.

I have a question about Wii remotes and nunchuks. This week Toys R Us has them at $5 off each. Do sales like that happen very often? I know Dell had the $54 bundle and the Wii Play + nunchuk for $49.99... besides those, have there been other deals in the past? Thanks.

I'm waiting for the price of the red & black DS to drop (hopefully to near $99). In case anyone else is looking for the same, here are the places I'm watching - have I missed any?

Sears - pricey bundle only
EBGames (best price so far $129)
Rogers
Microplay (do they sell the console?)
ToysRus
Best Buy
Future Shop (Bundle for $139 + free game)
The Source - no stock till Feb 22?
SIG Electronics (bundle for $169 if you like coral pink and Nintendogs :)
Zellers
Walmart (not online - so you have to make the trip)
Dell (doesn't show up currently)
Amazon - pricey
Shoppers Drug Mart - in certain stores
HMV
Real Canadian Superstores ($129)

At the moment it is a tie between EBGames and Real Canadian Superstores (unless you REALLY want Bionicles, in which case Future Shop might win)

^^^
When I worked at HMV a few months ago they were priced at 149.00. It's not a cheaper price than what you've found...but it wasn't on your list :p. It has probably changed in price though, so you could always give them a call and see how much it is?

I realize trade value changes often and all, but seriously, how do I know that a game like Pirates for PS2 would trade in for $10 at EB? What am I going to do, make a list of all the games on the shelf and go to EB and ask them?

i like this thread. it's efficient.

[quote name='webrunner']Here's mine:
- Any deals on No More Heroes, Harvey Birdman, or a Brawl preorder?[/quote]
for Harvey Birdman on the Wii (i'm assuming you mean the Wii version since the other two games are Wii only), the best place i've seen is Futureshop for $39.99. it's not amazing, but it beats the $59.99 tag i saw at EB Games.

for Brawl, the EB Trade 3 deal is still going on, and that's a pretty sweet ticket if you can find some decent tradebait.

[quote name='kwander']I'm waiting for the price of the red & black DS to drop (hopefully to near $99).[/quote]

i don't know if you're in Winnipeg or not, but the Microplay (the only one) has seen several used DS Lites of that colour pass through for $99 (with one crap game, heh)

[quote name='Kekumba']What am I going to do, make a list of all the games on the shelf and go to EB and ask them?[/quote]

if you're looking for tradebait, i'd suggest just sticking to games that EB is selling used for 19.99 or higher. maybe call a few and just ask a couple trade prices over the phone, or pop in sometime when it's not peak hours (like NOT Saturday) and ask them if they'd be so kind as to price out your list.

[quote name='Kekumba']I realize trade value changes often and all, but seriously, how do I know that a game like Pirates for PS2 would trade in for $10 at EB? What am I going to do, make a list of all the games on the shelf and go to EB and ask them?[/quote]

That's exactly what I did for the trade-6 last year: go to Rogers/Blockbuster, write down all the games priced around $9.99/14.99 (mind you, there were no sales going on at the time), then head home to call EB (since I didn't have a cell phone either during that time.) Then I have to go back to RV/BBV to pick up the games and hope no one else nabbed it. It was a lot of work, but I saved over $80 on a new DS Lite, so it was worth it IMO.

Like I said, the trick is to find games no one wants: the new AAA releases are always valid and thus are bought quickly. Plus it allows you to dodge the ire of fellow gamers by not trading in those quality titles to EB/BBV.

As for the Crimson DS, I don't expect a price cut anytime soon. Boxing Day 2006 had them for $129.99, which is the regular price now. Any deals will most likely be advertised so you can price-match.

[quote name='craig64']^^^
When I worked at HMV a few months ago they were priced at 149.00. It's not a cheaper price than what you've found...but it wasn't on your list :p. It has probably changed in price though, so you could always give them a call and see how much it is?[/quote]
Yes, I thought of HMV afterwards and edited, but didn't see your response :) Only prices I see (when available) are $139, like most others - at the moment

[quote name='ikariwarriors']i like this thread. it's efficient.

i don't know if you're in Winnipeg or not, but the Microplay (the only one) has seen several used DS Lites of that colour pass through for $99 (with one crap game, heh)

[/quote]

I'm trying to get a new one at that price so I can scratch it up on my own ;) I suspect that since Nintendo are now producing 2.5MM units a month, the PSP is now only $30 more (in fact saw PSP at $169 with the Star Wars game), the launch of so many new titles beginning Feb, and generally lower sales at this point, we'll see a new $99 price point.

... we'll see ;)

[quote name='kwandar']I'm trying to get a new one at that price so I can scratch it up on my own ;) I suspect that since Nintendo are now producing 2.5MM units a month, the PSP is now only $30 more (in fact saw PSP at $169 with the Star Wars game), the launch of so many new titles beginning Feb, and generally lower sales at this point, we'll see a new $99 price point.

... we'll see ;)[/quote]

here's hoping, but a 30 dollar price drop is pretty big, especially after it just went down 10 bucks before the holidays. i couldn't see that happening unless they bring out some "latest and greatest" new model of the DS

[quote name='ikariwarriors']here's hoping, but a 30 dollar price drop is pretty big, especially after it just went down 10 bucks before the holidays. i couldn't see that happening unless they bring out some "latest and greatest" new model of the DS[/quote]
The $10 drop was due to Cdn versus US exchange and keep in mind that it has been sold at $99 previously. Also, the cost of manufacturing (last I saw) was around $55 - and I'm sure it continues to drop. Even if I'm wrong, its a great rumor to start :)

Hey I got a question, but its a little off-topic.

I know that for gaming 720P is better than 1080i, and that 1080i looks better with still-pictures than 720p is. The real question is, what is better for regular television? Also, is there a difference when watching TV if its live vs filmed?

[quote name='darkandlong']Haha, you start a Q&A thread, but don't feel like giving the answers?

Classic.[/quote]

Sigh, this is the kind of attitude I see so often at RFD, and thus want to avoid. It's a sad day to see a CAG act like this. How many times have I seen the same person trade in multiple copies of the same game and the TIV plummet the next day I can't tell you.

I did all the LEG work, and it took a lot of time. As others will tell you, it was hard. Is it FAIR to me if all you do is copy down the list I post and trade the games to EB. I still have copies of those games on my hand, if the TIV drops, than I'm so screwed.

GO DO YOUR OWN WORK IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THE MONEY!

I started this thread because I'm sick of alll those stupid questions being asked everyday. This is not the place to ask if this is a good HDTV. Go post it on FS's website. or RFD. In case you havent noticed, this is the Canadian HOT VIDEO GAME DEALS FORUM.

If this is the attitude youre going to take(being an a**hole), please leave and go to RFD.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']That's exactly what I did for the trade-6 last year: go to Rogers/Blockbuster, write down all the games priced around $9.99/14.99 (mind you, there were no sales going on at the time), then head home to call EB (since I didn't have a cell phone either during that time.) Then I have to go back to RV/BBV to pick up the games and hope no one else nabbed it. It was a lot of work, but I saved over $80 on a new DS Lite, so it was worth it IMO.

Like I said, the trick is to find games no one wants: the new AAA releases are always valid and thus are bought quickly. Plus it allows you to dodge the ire of fellow gamers by not trading in those quality titles to EB/BBV.

As for the Crimson DS, I don't expect a price cut anytime soon. Boxing Day 2006 had them for $129.99, which is the regular price now. Any deals will most likely be advertised so you can price-match.[/quote]

So True

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I have a question about Wii remotes and nunchuks. This week Toys R Us has them at $5 off each. Do sales like that happen very often? I know Dell had the $54 bundle and the Wii Play + nunchuk for $49.99... besides those, have there been other deals in the past? Thanks.[/quote]

Wii remotes are rarely on sale... Dell is almost the only store that actually reduces its price.... but, you better PM them, because they took months to ships the remotes and nunchuks, for some people at least.

[quote name='lisdoncca']Wii remotes are rarely on sale... Dell is almost the only store that actually reduces its price.... but, you better PM them, because they took months to ships the remotes and nunchuks, for some people at least.[/quote]

Hey Lone,
I have new wii motes for 35 if u want.

er to gamer602. It seems that your post is a bit mean. Probably meaner than the person who made the comment.

Plus where I am anyway doing the leg work is a waste of time due to the hoarders from RFD (saw some games in a shop went ot a bank machine to get money they were gone afterwards and had a guy in the shop bragging they were towards his FIFTH DS lite). If someone would help me with a short list of what would work from RV and so forth thats been seen for cheap I'd really appreciate it. If YOU do not. Thats fine with me. I am the type of person who hides Mario Galaxy behind other games during a 2 for 40 and then goes here and tells everyone where its hidden in hopes a CAG gets it and not a RFD hoarder.

And we are allowed to ask silly questions like reccomendations on a tv and so forth. Sure its a HOT DEALS forum. But this is a question and answer thread. So why not?

Stop being so negative.

Im not negative.

Its just that these question threads would be deleted if it was posted on the AMERICAN HOT DEALS FORUM. I just wish the same rules would apply here. I know that theres isnt a Canadian Request a deal forum, so maybe we can keep it in the same thread

I'm the type of person who would price match two copies of the same game so I can sell one to a CAG at cost.

I do feel for people who live in Ontario, home of RFD.

P.S you are MORE THAN WELCOME to ask about anything you want in this thread. I could care less as long as it's posted here.

Well from what I see the american hot deal forum is quite flooded anyway since theres generally alot more deals there.
Being in Toronto myself RFD really grills me.

They have signs on the freaking subway now advertising their site. Still I sometimes get lucky. I did good at the last 2 for 40 I did and even better at the 2 for 30 clearance mainly because I knew where had the one clearance game I wanted. (why rogers video had fire emblem wii on clearance is beyond me but for 15$ I'm not complaining.)

[quote name='gamer602']Im not negative. [/quote]
Not negative, just a douche.

You imply that RFD is filled with cutthroat unhelpful hoarders and CAG is a community to help other, unless you want to get some TIV values off gamer602, who "worked" "so hard" that its OK for him to not share his info in his own Q&A thread?

Amazing how me pointing out your hypocrisy is "RFD attitude" but your elitist attitude towards RFD and not helping out with TIV values and in general being a total jerk is perfectly acceptable?

Whatever.

Its kinda funny the RFD envy a lot of people have in this forum (especially when they post in both forums - or "borrow" hot deals from their forum without proper credit given). The more posts I read by certain CAGs leads me to believe the jerk to helpful poster ratio in both forums is just about the same. I suppose now that I've pointed that out and implied that gathering TIV values isn't really "work" I'm outed as a RFD shill only in CAG to amass massive amounts of disco'ed games to then turn around and ripoff innocent people.

I suspected this thread was pretty much useless... Thanks for confirming it gamer602. Feel free to bash me and hurl more insults, I'll stick to the helpful threads in the forum so I won't be checking this one anymore.

$19.99 games at Rogers, with EB TIV in parentheses:
Pro Evolution Soccer 07 (PS2) ($8)
Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria (PS2) $10)
Top Spin 2 (360) ($8+)

Other titles that might qualify are Cabela's for 360.

What's the best store to buy DVD's from? I'm looking for Rob & Big and Run's House on DVD, and even though BB & FS sell Run's House for $20 (which is great for their standards), I've still yet to find Rob & Big anywhere.

[quote name='darkandlong']Not negative, just a douche.

You imply that RFD is filled with cutthroat unhelpful hoarders and CAG is a community to help other, unless you want to get some TIV values off gamer602, who "worked" "so hard" that its OK for him to not share his info in his own Q&A thread?

Amazing how me pointing out your hypocrisy is "RFD attitude" but your elitist attitude towards RFD and not helping out with TIV values and in general being a total jerk is perfectly acceptable?

Whatever.

Its kinda funny the RFD envy a lot of people have in this forum (especially when they post in both forums - or "borrow" hot deals from their forum without proper credit given). The more posts I read by certain CAGs leads me to believe the jerk to helpful poster ratio in both forums is just about the same. I suppose now that I've pointed that out and implied that gathering TIV values isn't really "work" I'm outed as a RFD shill only in CAG to amass massive amounts of disco'ed games to then turn around and ripoff innocent people.

I suspected this thread was pretty much useless... Thanks for confirming it gamer602. Feel free to bash me and hurl more insults, I'll stick to the helpful threads in the forum so I won't be checking this one anymore.[/quote]

I'm more than willing to help CAGS out, just not willing to do it at a cost to me!(ie getting stuck with games I cant trade in due to a drop in TIV) Other posters understand this fact.

Also, this is not MY thready. True, I started it, but everyone can post what ever they like or want in here.

The ratio of helpful posts is MUCH HIGHER at CAG. I seriously can't name someone I dislike here at CAG,(including you) while there will be a list at RFD.

[quote name='bullets898']is the Wii ever going to go on sale from their $270 pricing?[/quote]

Seriously, the EB trade in deals are the only way you'll see it for cheaper.
FS has once given away a crappy kids game with it thou....

I've got an American Xbox 360, and my Live account is registered with a Canadian address.

Will American AND Canadian Live Subscription cards work?

Will American AND Canadian MS Points cards work?

a friend bought me a 3-month Live subscription from the US, and it worked fine on our account that is listed as in Canada.

[quote name='Griptor']I've got an American Xbox 360, and my Live account is registered with a Canadian address.

Will American AND Canadian Live Subscription cards work?

Will American AND Canadian MS Points cards work?[/quote]

Live subscription yes.
American points card no.
Canadian points card yes.

bread's done
Back