MVP Baseball 2005 (XBox) - $4.99 - New - Amazon.com

lordwow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
MVP Baseball 2005 (XBox) - $4.99 - New - Amazon.com

51%2By%2BrJ6s0L._AA280_.jpg

While a bit out of date in terms of players, it's still arguably the best baseball game created, and for $5 it's a steal.

MVP Baseball 2005 is currently NOT Backwards Compatable.

[quote name='bmarquardt']just a heads up...

this is actually from target.com through amazon[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks, hadn't noticed that.

I can testify to the greatness of MVP '05. I have it for Gamecube and it is arguably the most complete baseball video game ever. It is packed with so many options (player creation, A, AA, and AAA teams, great stat tracking, manager mode, dynasty mode, and several mini-games). I love the gameplay mechanics during pitching/batting and the controls are tight. The AI is adjustable, and can be pretty challenging. It is the best baseball sim I have ever played, hands down.

Xbox claims its BC but it's not, I was pretty disappointed with that cause this was is the greatest baseball game ever made.

[quote name='classact']Xbox claims its BC but it's not, I was pretty disappointed with that cause this was is the greatest baseball game ever made.[/QUOTE]

It was originally on the list for the last update along with MVP 03 and 04, but it was edited and corrected in the press releases when it was found to be erroneously on the list.

Great baseball game! You can get it at GS for under $5 used, if you don't want to pay for the shipping. I don't know why they stopped making the MVP series.... todays baseball games just don't stack up!

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Great baseball game! You can get it at GS for under $5 used, if you don't want to pay for the shipping. I don't know why they stopped making the MVP series.... todays baseball games just don't stack up![/quote]

They stopped making it, because while EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL, 2K bought exclusive rights to MLB.

It's so lame that the previous installments were compatible, but not this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up on the BC list at some point.

[quote name='legs1986']They stopped making it, because while EA bought exclusive rights to the NFL, 2K bought exclusive rights to MLB.[/quote]

Explain The Show, then.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Explain The Show, then.[/QUOTE]

1st party developers can make their own MLB games. So, Sony can make them for the Sony systems, Microsoft for the 360, and Nintendo for their systems.

While the EA-NFL Deal is for all exclusive rights to make NFL games.....The 2K-MLB Deal is only for exclusive 3rd-Party rights to make MLB games. Which means that Nintendo can make an MLB game for Nintendo consoles and handhelds, Microsoft can make MLB games for Microsoft consoles and handhelds... AND Sony can make MLB games for Playstation consoles and handhelds only....if they so choose.

MVP 05 is BY FAR the BEST Baseball game ever created... the graphics now look a little outdated but gameplay is damn near perfect. when will the contract expire with 2k sports so EA can make this game with an MLB license? I can't wait for that to happen.

with the newest Xbox 360 update, they actually had this listed as a new addition to the backward compatibility. I was psyched! only to be disappointed when I put the game in and it didn't work

[quote name='Drnick']MVP 05 is BY FAR the BEST Baseball game ever created... the graphics now look a little outdated but gameplay is damn near perfect. when will the contract expire with 2k sports so EA can make this game with an MLB license? I can't wait for that to happen.

with the newest Xbox 360 update, they actually had this listed as a new addition to the backward compatibility. I was psyched! only to be disappointed when I put the game in and it didn't work[/QUOTE]

It was on the list and it does not work? Did you contact Microsoft...did anyone?

I find it ironic that the one time EA makes a great sports game, they end up losing the licence to make it...

On another note, MVP 2005 definitely is an excellent baseball game and seeing this brings back memories of spending hours with that damn game. Might have to dust off the old Xbox and play this again

[quote name='rcavictor1956']It was on the list and it does not work? Did you contact Microsoft...did anyone?[/QUOTE]

MS came out and said it was mistakenly on the list. It's not on their official lists now.

It's so lame that the previous installments were compatible, but not this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up on the BC list at some point.

I would. It's just like how you'll never see NFL 2K5 on the BC list; each game would undercut the sales of the actual 360 MLB and NFL games, respectively.

That said, this is one of the handful of games that still make owning an Xbox worthwhile.

Thankfully I have a PS3 and MLB The Show 08 because 2K baseball is rubbish. I miss the MVP baseball series... :(

Not sure the details of how Sony can make a baseball game even though 2K bought the MLB license but I don't care i'm just happy to have an option. I read a while back that 2K lost the NCAA license to EA so next year we get no GOOD college hoops game..... Bullshit if you ask me competition is good for gamers.

Gamers should get a vote in who makes our sports games.

Football EA
Basketball 2K
Baseball EA
Golf EA
Hockey who cares lol I mean EA (not much of a hockey guy but I enjoy my NHL 07)

[quote name='jollydwarf']It's so lame that the previous installments were compatible, but not this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see this show up on the BC list at some point.

I would. It's just like how you'll never see NFL 2K5 on the BC list; each game would undercut the sales of the actual 360 MLB and NFL games, respectively.

That said, this is one of the handful of games that still make owning an Xbox worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

NFL 2k5 IS BC.

So are MVP 03 and 04.

Not sure the details of how Sony can make a baseball game even though 2K bought the MLB license but I don't care i'm just happy to have an option

As was mentioned earlier, 2K only has exclusive 3rd-party rights, so the consoles developers can make games for their own consoles (eg, The Show for Sony platforms). This obviously was an attempted rub on EA, seeing as it came soon after the NFL sold them the exclusive rights. EA, having already spent a boatload on that (coupled with the fact that baseball games are not that profitable), balked at the idea of paying extra for the MLB rights.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As was mentioned earlier, 2K only has exclusive 3rd-party rights, so the consoles developers can make games for their own consoles (eg, The Show for Sony platforms). This obviously was an attempted rub on EA, seeing as it came soon after the NFL sold them the exclusive rights. EA, having already spent a boatload on that (coupled with the fact that baseball games are not that profitable), balked at the idea of paying extra for the MLB rights.[/quote]

AHH I see said the blind man, didn't see that.... I wondered what the loophole was. :)

Edit: To the guy below, I was just joking about hockey. Just taking a shot since it's not as widespread of a sport and even gets buried on the VS channel. Hockey games are actually really fun for me even though it's the one major sport I don't really follow.

[quote name='$hady']Hockey who cares lol I mean EA (not much of a hockey guy but I enjoy my NHL 07)[/quote]

Around here, the only sports games any of my friends play online are all hockey games. The sport's pretty big from New Jersey to North Dakota, and Devils and Rangers games routinely sell out every game, while the Nets and Knicks are playing in front of barely any fans.

Well, MVP Baseball is still made, but it's now MVP NCAA Baseball. And it's not nearly as good. For some reason Microsoft bought the High Heat license from 3DO and never did anything with it. What the hell was the point of that?

EA even dropped the NCAA baseball games. Can't blame them. Not much overall interest in collegiate baseball...not like basketball or football.

Anyway, if you're lucky enough to somehow find the PC version of this game for cheap (or, if you're the kind of person who resorts to "nefarious" software acquisition), get it! There are still communities (I use to go to MVPmods.com) that updates rosters, faces, uniforms, etc.

For some reason Microsoft bought the High Heat license from 3DO and never did anything with it. What the hell was the point of that?

I wondered that, too, but finally came to this basic conclusion: they're Microsoft. Increasingly, I'm starting to think that outside of Live, they're really not sure what the fuck they're doing.* And even their aforementioned 'trump card' isn't perfect, it would seem.

Given that we're pretty much halfway through the 360's projected lifespan, I'm going to go ahead and assume we won't be seeing any High Heat for the remainder of it, if ever again.

*--This is not to imply that their more 'direct' competitor has a much better vision at this moment. Nintendo, while we're on this tangent, has a tendency to be stubborn about their way, but a.) they at least stick to it and b.) it seems to be working out pretty well for them.

[quote name='jollydwarf'] wondered that, too, but finally came to this basic conclusion: they're Microsoft. Increasingly, I'm starting to think that outside of Live, they're really not sure what the fuck they're doing.* And even their aforementioned 'trump card' isn't perfect, it would seem. [/quote]

Well, there is Live and making Bungie crank out Halo coupled with a small helmet that a normal human couldn't fit into, making the MSRP become obscenely high. But outside of that, you're right, Microsoft doesn't know what the fuck their doing. if you look onto the first couple of year on the original Xbox, there are a lot of pretty good first party games. They had a pretty decent set of sports games (except for Inside Pitch, I hated that), and some original games that could have become big hits if they refined them: Voodoo Vince. Brute Force. Blinx. Kung Fu Chaos (why they chose to resurrect Fuzion Frenzy instead boggles to mind). Quantum Redshift. MechAssault. ANNNNNND on top of that, they had Sega bring a lot of their series' to the Xbox. Plus, buying Rare.... Yet, now with the 360, outside of Halo 3 and Live, they don't do anything. Except replace RROD'd 360s.

On topic: MVP does indeed kick ass. Actually, I decided to boot it up the other day as spring training got me into baseball mood. And it's still rocks. Though the next gen graphics I've been exposed to make the crowds seem evern worse than they used to.... That's one of the reasons I miss Acclaim. Their baseball games had very good looking crowds.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']EA even dropped the NCAA baseball games. Can't blame them. Not much overall interest in collegiate baseball...not like basketball or football.

Anyway, if you're lucky enough to somehow find the PC version of this game for cheap (or, if you're the kind of person who resorts to "nefarious" software acquisition), get it! There are still communities (I use to go to MVPmods.com) that updates rosters, faces, uniforms, etc.[/quote]
Why should you spend $100 to get the game on eBay, and let some flipper profit? In this case, where the game is no longer being produced or supported, and you can't buy it new, I see nothing wrong with "pirating" it. EA would probably just be happy you enjoy their game, since they cannot profit off of it anymore.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Why should you spend $100 to get the game on eBay, and let some flipper profit? In this case, where the game is no longer being produced or supported, and you can't buy it new, I see nothing wrong with "pirating" it. EA would probably just be happy you enjoy their game, since they cannot profit off of it anymore.[/quote]

Did I say buy it on eBay? No. All I said was if you can get it cheap. Geez. Flippers and eBay are such a touchy subject on this board, people just introduce their annoyance over it when no has even mentioned anything about it.

[quote name='$hady']I read a while back that 2K lost the NCAA license to EA so next year we get no GOOD college hoops game..... Bullshit if you ask me competition is good for gamers.

[/quote]You read wrong. 2K decided to quit making their college hoops game because they felt the NCAA was charging them too much for the license, I guess.

"2K Sports has decided not to continue negotiations with the CLC for the license for its top-rated College Hoops franchise, which would have been released next in November 2008. We are committed to providing fans with high-quality, critically-acclaimed sports games, but given our disciplined approach to the business, we do not believe the current discussions would result in an acceptable outcome."

I like the part about being committed to providing fans with "high-quality" games. They are, except when it's a baseball game, which they hold exclusive 3rd party rights for. Then they don't care.

[quote name='jollydwarf']2K5? Really? "Curious."

And MVP 03 and 04 don't really represent a 'threat' to the 'current gen' games, hence their presence on the list.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if you just didnt see it or what, but it is listed as ESPN NFL 2K5

^^I think it's $4 at Gamestop. And considering this is a sports game (meaning that a lot of people that simply don't care about gaming or "trade in etiquette" have played this), chances are any copy you get will be lacking something or heavily scratched. That, and just like the aforementioned ESPN NFL 2K5, it was one of the best sports games but didn't get to continue it's run. A lot of people would rather play a funner game with old rosters (or hacked updated rosters) than a meh game with new rosters.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Avoid paying shipping and get it for 4.99 at Sears in the frontlane section.[/quote]
Exactly. I was about to say the same thing. This is a good game, but that price isn't that special anymore. Sears, Kmart, and Best Buy all have it for that price as well.

[quote name='Chronis']^^I think it's $4 at Gamestop. And considering this is a sports game (meaning that a lot of people that simply don't care about gaming or "trade in etiquette" have played this), chances are any copy you get will be lacking something or heavily scratched. That, and just like the aforementioned ESPN NFL 2K5, it was one of the best sports games but didn't get to continue it's run. A lot of people would rather play a funner game with old rosters (or hacked updated rosters) than a meh game with new rosters.[/quote]
Yeah, I am one of them. I haven't played another NFL Football game since ESPN NFL 2k5. However, the only game I would say is worth buying every year, and no, I don't mean Madden, is the NBA 2k series. That has gotten better every year since it's inception. It has yet to make me go back to the previous versions. Whenever the new version comes out, I never play the older one ever again.

[quote name='ricoraney']Exactly. I was about to say the same thing. This is a good game, but that price isn't that special anymore. Sears, Kmart, and Best Buy all have it for that price as well.[/quote]

If you can find it. A game this old, it is no guarantee you will find a copy in store. This is good filler for someone looking to get free shipping or simply a good buy for anyone with Prime.

One thing I really like about MVP 2005 also is that even though it is not backwards compatible it does display in 720 P for all those with HD sets - just another nice little bonus the game offers.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you can find it. A game this old, it is no guarantee you will find a copy in store. This is good filler for someone looking to get free shipping or simply a good buy for anyone with Prime.[/QUOTE]

Except that it's from Target.com :)

But, I agree with you...that shopping online is a quick and easy way to pick it up, while hunting for a 3 year old game (still sealed) would be a pain in store.

bread's done
Back