- - - - -

CAGcast #116: Blown Off

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 nomp

nomp

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

On the review scores:

If, for instance, you goto 10, don't make the average 5.

Say your scale goes to 5, make the average 2. Why? Because that way scores 2-5 indicate how good a game is, and score 1 is a bad game. When met with "Its a good game", many people will ask "How good is it?". However, when met with "its a bad game", noone replies "Oh, how bad is it? House Party 2 bad?". Don't spend point on the scale to designate how bad a game: If it's bad, it's bad -- we don't care how bad 'cause we ain't buying it anyway.

#122 Del Far

Del Far

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

That sucks that you were brushed off like that Wombat, I talked with them outside on the last day around lunch while they were just sitting outside,

Posted Image

They seemed pretty nice and I talked to them about podcasting also and asked how they got started and such and what i should do as a beginning podcaster. I didn't get brushed off, but I also didn't stay around too long, but i did get an audio interview with Connor the day before.

If we're going to be suggesting new comic podcasts to listen/watch I would suggest Pulp Secret's The Stack They're a hilarious podcast (all 3 guys do improv and sketch at the P.I.T.) and do a live show called The Comic Book Club where they also have had special guests like MC Chris, Dan Slott, Bendis, etc at The PIT, they even did a couple of mini-shows at Comic-Con including one with Scott Adsit from 30 Rock.

Posted Image

They were nice guys and I talked with Pete (the one with the beard) for a while about my photography project where I was photographing people in costume recreating scenes in history. For example:

Posted Image

He was very encouraging and got most of the referances, and we talked about awesome stuff we saw on the floor.

BTW: Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm were awesome, and you should be ashamed you missed it for passover Wombat, I totally skipped my family seder and it was worth it!

Posted Image

Website/Blog/Podcast HAROLDcast

Del.icio.us / Flickr / Facebook
Posted Image

#123 Del Far

Del Far

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:58 AM

Wow, that teaches me to actually READ the pages before posting, I'm glad the relationship has been fixed though, i was feeling really weird and conflicted, but you should also still try watching Pulp Secret's The Stack they actually did have the guys from iFanboy on there live show as Josh can tell you.
Website/Blog/Podcast HAROLDcast

Del.icio.us / Flickr / Facebook
Posted Image

#124 lilboo

lilboo

Not addicted to WoW

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:43 AM

Great show!
Wombat, since you're an honorary gay now (thanks to your FABULOUS job) you shoulda got gay hood with them bitches who dissed you like that.
IF that ever happens again, here is what you do.

Pucker your lips, snap your finger, throw your hand in the air and say "Daz right bitches, go on n walk away. Don't HATE, CONGRATULATE." then you spin and then YOU walk away.

Respect + 1000

Now Playing:
:pc: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

:pc: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

:wiiu: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

:3ds: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

:3ds: Pokemon Battle Trozei

#125 outlawmoogle

outlawmoogle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:12 AM

They're not, but we're sure as heck covering it like its for the hardcore. You trip over a Wii Fit news story every time you check the RSS feed at Kotaku or Joystiq.

Because it's important news to the gaming industry. It's the first game on a major console in years (not counting Wii Sports) that is actually catching the attention of the non-gaming public. You can't just ignore the significance of Wii Fit.

Posted Image

"Alita! Oh, snapplecakes! She soooo foine!"

#126 metrognome

metrognome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:58 AM

people are having sex when the CAG cast is playing? wow

yeah seriously! The one time I tried to listen to the CAGcast out loud with my girlfriend home she shouted from the other room "Oh My God! You're listening to people TALK about video games!?! YOU"RE SUCH A DORK!" If I tried to put it on during a sexual encounter I might wind up like John Wayne Bobbit.

Anyways good show guys. The speculation about the DLC for GTA sounds a little unrealistic. I could see maybe an extra island of some sort, but an entire city sounds a little too good to be true. Some Epilogue missions playing as a character working for Niko (presuming at the end of story mode he is the new kingpin of Liberty City) would be pretty cool I think.

#127 UnderHero5

UnderHero5

Fetal Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:12 AM

Good show guys. My only complaint is that you said the Thursday Live show would be an extra thing, yet you guys cut the Cagbag out of this weeks normal show.

I work in the evenings, so I won't be able to listen to the Thursday night show (not clear whether you're actually recording it or not) so I for one would love if it actually stayed an extra, and didn't remove content from the normal show.

Just throwing that out there. I was a little disappointed at not getting a Cagbag this week.

Keep up the great work!
-=Evildoers Beware!=-

#128 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:54 AM

I wanted to posit an alternate theory in the BoomBlox pricing discussion, one that I realize may be construed as blasphemy by my fellow CAGs. It is this: I think, in a lot of ways, games are like wine. Studies have shown that the price of a bottle of wine is a significant factor in how favorably the drinker reacts to it. Psychologically, gamers -- and even some casual game shoppers -- assume that a full-price game is inherently higher in quality than a "budget" title. After all, you get what you pay for, right? Thus, all things being equal, if a consumer sees a $50 or $60 game sitting next to a $30 or $40 game, consciously or subconsciously, they're more likely to give the more expensive game the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone thinks like a CAG.

There are exceptions to this theory, like the oblivious parent who's just looking for the cheapest means to shut Junior up for a few hours. And of course there are mitigating factors, like whether there's a recognizable character on the cover. And don't get me wrong. There is a place for budget titles. Okami Wii is a good example, as are most other ports or re-releases. And pseudo-games like Endless Ocean also can benefit from a "try me" price. But I think quality full-fledged, original titles like BoomBlox and Zack & Wiki actually run the risk of hurting their own credibility by launching with a budget price.

As far as I'm concerned I should have only had to show up halfway into the Passover get-together since I'm only 1/2 jewish and 1/2 japanese, Ninjew. Just in time for beef, 2 glasses of wine, and desert.

Also I googled ninjew a few years back and this is what came up
http://www.ninjewbook.com/
I have no idea wtf its about, but it looks funny as hell.

I'm the product of a lapsed Catholic and a lapsed Jew, making me a lazy cashew.

Lotta guilt in my house growing up. Lotta guilt.

I can understand how CheapyD feels about Dingleberry's adventure. One time while playing Double Dragon with a fellow CAG, he was slient and acted awkard. Afterwards, he told me he was getting a BJ from his girlfriend while talking and playing with me.

YOU SWORE YOU'D NEVER TELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And she was going to do you next.

It's very possible I said something like "I've got to go over here now," because I think I was waiting to do an interview, or prepping for it. In my distracted haze, I can see how it would come off like Wombat said, but that wasn't what I intended, but I already apologized for any misunderstanding, and the only guy who was actually there has accepted it.

Well, to be fair, this IS the same Wombat who said an Activision rep told him that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 would be bumped to 2009 (later retracted), so accurate recollections of Comic Con conversations may not be his strong suit. ;)

#129 brainwarped

brainwarped

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

The download link appears to be giving a 404 error.
Posted Image

#130 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

Totally random non-gaming related comment. You should NEVER give a child aspirin. It can cause a fatal neurological condition called Reye's syndrome.

Otherwise, excellent show as usual.

#131 brainwarped

brainwarped

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

The download link appears to be giving a 404 error.

It seems to be working again.
Posted Image

#132 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

Totally random non-gaming related comment. You should NEVER give a child aspirin. It can cause a fatal neurological condition called Reye's syndrome.

Otherwise, excellent show as usual.

Huh. I always thought Reye's syndrome just tore up your tummy. Apparently it destroys your brain and liver. Who knew that the CAG forums were so educational? Funducational!

#133 Murtaug

Murtaug

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Am I the only person that has an issue with the CAGcast locking my Zune up? It happens about once every four or five episodes, delete and redownload does not seem to fix it. I can listen fine on my PC but if I attempt it on the Zune it just locks the entire thing up and requires a hard reboot.

The show is part of my week at work, so it sucks when I get there only to find out I can't listen.

#134 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

Am I the only person that has an issue with the CAGcast locking my Zune up? It happens about once every four or five episodes, delete and redownload does not seem to fix it. I can listen fine on my PC but if I attempt it on the Zune it just locks the entire thing up and requires a hard reboot.

The show is part of my week at work, so it sucks when I get there only to find out I can't listen.

Actually, they mentioned it in the show. While Apple stuff just works, Microsoft's products don't.

#135 Admiral Ackbar

Admiral Ackbar

It's a trap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:31 AM

Why can't I play the latest cagcast. i try to download it and it's 64k. I try to play it and I only get a fraction of a second.

The 2014 E3 Theme: "Coming in 2015."

#136 tcolberg

tcolberg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

I'm a big fan of random drops of Back to the Future quotes. Nice one Wombat: "You are my density, Lorraine!"

#137 ALLoGISTIC1

ALLoGISTIC1

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

I thought it was pretty standup for josh to call in on the live cagbag to apologize. See Won-Bot you ARE an important internet celebrity!
Thou shalt not partake of Decaf :pray:

#138 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

nope, just check every single CAGcast forum EVER! Zunes just don't like the CAGcast for some reason. You guys should start a support group.

#139 Xevious

Xevious

Most Damned CAG Evar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

Here is some good videogame like music that you can use on the next CAGcast

Damn you xevious...

Damn you Xevious... damn you to hell.....

Damn you Xevious be quiet.

So you know EBM? Damn you Xevious...

#140 wdwpsu

wdwpsu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

Nothing starts out a day worse than hitting play on your commute only to find out that yet again, bad encoding on the Cagcast causing the Zune to lock. I'd blame the zune, but I listen to 15 podcasts, and I've never had this issue with any others. 3 out of the last 6 CAGcasts have locked up the device.

#141 BionicJoe

BionicJoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

Re: Motion Controls

I used to think you guys were too harsh on the use of motion controls in recent games. I enjoyed the thrill of guiding arrows into the necks of enemies in Heavenly Sword, and early Wii games had their charms. After listening to the latest CAGcast and Cheapy's problems with Lair I went to play some games, notably my new copy of Okami for the Wii. Wow, that was one frustrating experience--I couldn't get that damn wolf to use his special brush skills! I turned the game off and loaded up my copy of Okami for the PS2 that I had barely started when it came out. It turned out I had a saved file in the exact same part that was giving me trouble on the Wii, and I was able to pass it with ease with analog controls. That, and it looked better upscaled on my PS3!

#142 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

All I have to say is Dingleberry is not the only one with that issue. I as well have busted out laughing hell even my gf has in the middle of having fun in the bed. No idea why we have the cagcast on, but it is very funny. So I am just with you on that.

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#143 zengonzo

zengonzo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

How the Fuck could anyone get anything going with their voices in the background?

And if you're really getting something going, where the Fuck is your mind to be paying attention to what's going on in a podcast?

I can't understand that. Have to call bullshit simply for lacking comprehension on the matter.

#144 GAMERMASTERMAN

GAMERMASTERMAN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

Here is some good videogame like music that you can use on the next CAGcast

Ouch, Rick Rolled. :cry:

On a funnier note, the other day after a trip to my local comic shop, we stopped by a gas station and that song was playing over the intercom...
The gas station Rick Rolled us!
Posted Image
Shipwreck-"They mess with my McDonalds little person set, they're gunna get a little person in the head."