Do not Cancel your GTA IV pre-order at Gamestop.....

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I went their about an hour ago to cancel my GTA IV pre-order because I instead reserved and paid it off at Blockbuster with a few trade-ins.

Me: I want to cancel my GTA IV pre-order pleas

GS: Why???!! (in a sorta loud tone like WTF am I doing)

Me: I found it cheaper elsewhere

GS: but we are having a Midnight opening, why wait until the next day to get it their?

Me: They are also, and plus my 360 is at the Repair Center, so Im in no rush to get it

GS: Well you can only cancel your pre-orders 3 times a year or you can only place the money on another reserve with no money back (WTF is this true?)

Me: yea....I need to cancel thanks

GS: wow you have to be the only person I ever heard of not getting GTA IV

Me: ummm I am, but from a place that gives greater trade-in values

GS: What ever man I am going to remember this, so you still want to cancel? (was that a threat of sorts?)

Me: Yep, I would like my $60 back pleas

GS: Tosses the receipt for me to sign to cancel my pre order off the counter ::Rolls his eyes::

Me: took my money and left

I never had this happen to me, what was the deal with the employee, do they get tortured if they have to cancel a pre-order? If its this much of a pain to cancel a pre-order, then Im never reserving something from their again.

Anybody else had this happen when canceling a reserve?

Pretty sure the "you can only cancel 3 pre-orders" crap is complete BS.

I seriously doubt their system is sophisticated enough to track this.

They cannot look up an account to see if it has an active membership (edge) card, but they can track the number of pre-orders you've canceled? yea right.

One of the methods of employee evaluation at GS is how many preorders they get. Whoever gets the preorder gets +1. Whoever has to log a cancellation gets -1. So unless this was the guy who gave you your preorder to begin with, in his eyes you're a -1 customer and someone to hate. If he gave you the preorder you're just a 0, so maybe not worth hating so much.

Seriously, if their numbers are too low they'll get fired. That simple.

[quote name='TahoeMax']One of the methods of employee evaluation at GS is how many preorders they get. Whoever gets the preorder gets +1. Whoever has to log a cancellation gets -1. So unless this was the guy who gave you your preorder to begin with, in his eyes you're a -1 customer and someone to hate. If he gave you the preorder you're just a 0, so maybe not worth hating so much.

Seriously, if their numbers are too low they'll get fired. That simple.[/quote]

wow I never knew that, he was not the guy who gave me the pre-order.....so the way to solve this is to not reserve from their.......why would gamestop Implement that into their evaluation instead of just how many preorders you have and not how many you had to cancel

[quote name='daminion']Pretty sure the "you can only cancel 3 pre-orders" crap is complete BS.

They cannot look up an account to see if it has an active membership (edge) card, but they can track the number of pre-orders you've canceled? yea right.[/quote]
lol, seriously... they JUST started keeping track of pre-orders in South Florida by computer instead of a Roladex-type system shortly after I moved here, which was about 4 years ago... we're not talking sophistication here.

The people that work at Gamestop tend to be the least informative and biggest asses in the whole gaming retail industry. I don't shop there unless I absolutely have to by weight of circumstances.

[quote name='Poor2More']I went their about an hour ago to cancel my GTA IV pre-order because I instead reserved and paid it off at Blockbuster with a few trade-ins.

Me: I want to cancel my GTA IV pre-order pleas

GS: Why???!! (in a sorta loud tone like WTF am I doing)

Me: I found it cheaper elsewhere

GS: but we are having a Midnight opening, why wait until the next day to get it their?

Me: They are also, and plus my 360 is at the Repair Center, so Im in no rush to get it

GS: Well you can only cancel your pre-orders 3 times a year or you can only place the money on another reserve with no money back (WTF is this true?)

Me: yea....I need to cancel thanks

Me: ummm I am, but from a place that gives greater trade-in values

GS: What ever man I am going to remember this, so you still want to cancel? (was that a threat of sorts?)

Me: Yep, I would like my $60 back pleas

GS: Tosses the receipt for me to sign to cancel my pre order off the counter ::Rolls his eyes::

Me: took my money and left

I never had this happen to me, what was the deal with the employee, do they get tortured if they have to cancel a pre-order? If its this much of a pain to cancel a pre-order, then Im never reserving something from their again.

Anybody else had this happen when canceling a reserve?[/quote]
Hmm sounds like he was just giving u a hard time. they have told me some crazy ones in the past when i wanted to cancel my preorder on games that are already out. They do get looked down on if they cancel preorders.

[quote name='TahoeMax']One of the methods of employee evaluation at GS is how many preorders they get. Whoever gets the preorder gets +1. Whoever has to log a cancellation gets -1. So unless this was the guy who gave you your preorder to begin with, in his eyes you're a -1 customer and someone to hate. If he gave you the preorder you're just a 0, so maybe not worth hating so much.

This is the reason that i have stopped preordering from GS.

coming from a gs mgr for 7 yrs, if an employee of mine did this i would want to know about it so i could rip him a new one.

here's some hopefully helpful hints for the future: if you have an employee treat you like that (and you care to do something about it) first ask for the STORE manager (not the manager on duty), if they are not there at least get their name and call back and tell them what happened, if that doesn't work go to the dm and further up the chain. if you don't want to shop there then don't, but if you want them to change you and everyone else who complains about them need to do something about it and it starts by talking to the management.

another good way to get their attention, take your receipt and go to the feedback website. this gets seen by everyone from the store manager up to the regional vp's (and maybe even higher) and i can tell you if you answer the question: "would you recommend a friend to shop there?" as no, this will also hurt the store and districts "rankings" and will get the attention of the proper people onto the offending associate.

sorry for the ramble, but if people want to shop there but have it be hassle free you need to let them know what they are doing wrong, not complain about it in forums where the majority of people reading are just going to agree with you.

[quote name='kodos64']coming from a gs mgr for 7 yrs, if an employee of mine did this i would want to know about it so i could rip him a new one.

here's some hopefully helpful hints for the future: if you have an employee treat you like that (and you care to do something about it) first ask for the STORE manager (not the manager on duty), if they are not there at least get their name and call back and tell them what happened, if that doesn't work go to the dm and further up the chain. if you don't want to shop there then don't, but if you want them to change you and everyone else who complains about them need to do something about it and it starts by talking to the management.

another good way to get their attention, take your receipt and go to the feedback website. this gets seen by everyone from the store manager up to the regional vp's (and maybe even higher) and i can tell you if you answer the question: "would you recommend a friend to shop there?" as no, this will also hurt the store and districts "rankings" and will get the attention of the proper people onto the offending associate.

sorry for the ramble, but if people want to shop there but have it be hassle free you need to let them know what they are doing wrong, not complain about it in forums where the majority of people reading are just going to agree with you.[/quote]

Thanks for the helpful hints, I enjoy that store for the most part but some areas are very harsh

I cannot fathom why anyone continues to shop/preorder/trade at Gamestop.

Especially people who frequent game sites and forums, people who should be a bit more knowledgeable than the average consumer. Their staff is generally not as knowledgeable as they should be, and they outright lie on some matters.

Their trade in credit is a joke. Seriously, sell on ebay or trade with other gamers. You're just burning money by trading in at Gamestop.

Their prices on used games are just stupid. Anyone who browses around online can usually find a better price on the same title new.

And don't get me started on preorders. The biggest joke of all. Gamestop purposely only brings in enough games to cover their presales. Seems foolish when they know they can easily sell more copies, right? Well, what they are doing is 'training' you. They know after one or two times of walking into Gamestop on launch day of a big title, and walking out empty handed, you will begin to buy into their preorder system. This is why I refuse to preorder from Gamestop.

Anyone can walk into a Target/Walmart/Best Buy/Circuit City the day of a game's release and walk out the door with a copy. And at least one of these stores is usually offering a sale price, freebie of some sort, gift card, etc. Better deal overall.

Leave Gamestop to the uninformed consumers, of which there are plenty. There is no reason for a user of a website like this to shop there.

wow i would have called him out on threatening you. then i would tell him that you are going to call corporate and info them that you were just threated by an employee for asking to cancel a preorder.

I've only canceled two preorders at GameStop. The first time I did I was waited on by the store manager. I was trading in a bunch of games and told him I wanted to cancel a preorder as well. He said ok, then went ahead and handled all the trade in stuff. When that was done he called over another employee and forced them to cancel the preorder. Dick move.

[quote name='rainking187']I've only canceled two preorders at GameStop. The first time I did I was waited on by the store manager. I was trading in a bunch of games and told him I wanted to cancel a preorder as well. He said ok, then went ahead and handled all the trade in stuff. When that was done he called over another employee and forced them to cancel the preorder. Dick move.[/quote]

wow that is a dick move

I have never heard of this, every time I have had to get money back for a preorder they did it with no problem, note I don't order many games and these days since games drop in price so fast I haven't ordered one since Pokemon D/P. It doesn't really sound sensible to limit the amount of preorders people can cancel because they push preordering so much.

kodos64 is right, you have to complain to the store manager or DM. They cannot fix what they don't know is broken, and if an employee is going around and making up stuff that is not true then they need to know about it or else they cannot fix the problem. They probably want to know about it as well, because if someone is communicating mis-information then they are probably losing preorders, customers and sales. This goes for pretty much any store issue with any retail store. Complain through the website too using your receipt, there is an option to have someone call you back about your problem, so if you can't get the DM or managers name and number then do that.

You shoulda spit in that f'er's face. SOmetimes I hate people. I hate that guy for you.

No, I don't have anger issues......I work in HR. That sorta explains it.

[quote name='Poor2More']GS: Well you can only cancel your pre-orders 3 times a year or you can only place the money on another reserve with no money back (WTF is this true?)

Anybody else had this happen when canceling a reserve?[/quote]

a limit on preoder cancellations!?!? thats pure BS! and this is why i try not to buy from ebgay/rapestop unless i really really have to. this employee should be kicked in the nuts

but yes, the employees are in a sort of point system. +1 for every preorder, sale, or subscription they process under their name. -1 for cancellations and returns. i guess managers use this to decide whether the employee is being productive or is what decides who is employee of the month or something.

at my local gamestop, one of my friends preoders hella games to make this one chic employee look good, and cancels all of it to another employee he has beef with just to piss him off. im pretty sure hes at 30+ preorder cancellations already..

Seriously, if their numbers are too low they'll get fired. That simple.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. So an effective way of doing business with Gamestop is only preordering from the employees I like or feel neutral about, and never preorder from the employees I dislike (Luckily theres only one or two out like 8 GSs' in my area). Thanks for the information there.

And for the record, I realize their jobs are most likely hell... and I can certainly relate, having worked at 24 hour drug stores and such when I was younger. Retail is horrible, but there are times when treating your customers like crap is not worth it and will rebound back at you. Blah blah blah... =)

[quote name='Aleryn']Interesting. So an effective way of doing business with Gamestop is only preordering from the employees I like or feel neutral about, and never preorder from the employees I dislike (Luckily theres only one or two out like 8 GSs' in my area). Thanks for the information there.

And for the record, I realize their jobs are most likely hell... and I can certainly relate, having worked at 24 hour drug stores and such when I was younger. Retail is horrible, but there are times when treating your customers like crap is not worth it and will rebound back at you. Blah blah blah... =)[/quote]

yep. read my previous post. this is how my friend got this one guy fired.
-30+ in preorder cancellations. its a dick move but the guy was a dick employee

I never knew they were penalized for preorder cancellations, seriously what the fuck? How is it an employee's fault someone decides bah I don't need this game?

[quote name='daminion']Pretty sure the "you can only cancel 3 pre-orders" crap is complete BS.

They cannot look up an account to see if it has an active membership (edge) card, but they can track the number of pre-orders you've canceled? yea right.[/quote]

Maybe in your unsophisticated state, but here in California they know all about my edge card, my magazine subscriptions, how many games I preorder a year.
Not only that, If I forget which games I have on preorder,takes them 3 seconds to look it up for me as a friendly reminder.

And yes, you're a bad customer OT.
They remember you, my friends GS always remember the people that preorder and cancel a lot, they have a list, mostly for people that like to use them for preorder bonuses.

Regulars at GS aren't that hard to remember; start building a respectable rep.
At worst transfer your preorder to another game, that way they won't get pissy. That's what I do.

Slightly off-topic, I walked into a GameStop today and the employee robbed me at gunpoint then proceeded to sodomize me with a 2600 ET cartridge. :( Then they made me buy a Game Informer subscription. It felt dirty. I need a shower.

[quote name='coolsteel']I never knew they were penalized for preorder cancellations, seriously what the fuck? How is it an employee's fault someone decides bah I don't need this game?[/quote]

More of an incentive to try to talk the customer out of cancelling.

I hate EB Games especially my local one. I should go in and pre-order ten games then just come and cancel them the next day. Just a bunch of useless fucks at mine. It would probably be good for a laugh to see them squirm taking a "-10" lol

That is unbelievably lame. The only preordering I'll do is through Amazon.

Granted there are no trade in values, but it comes to my door tax-free and on time. Cancelling an Amazon pre-order is effortless.

Domino's used to have a "get your pizza in 30 min or the pizza delivery guy pays for it" - Car accidents aplenty

AOL had a "don't let customers cancel" policy - nationwide evening news coverage of a clip in which a guy can't convince the AOL rep to close his account

These policies only work for scam companies that plan to be long gone by the time the chickens come home to roost.

Gamestop is following in the path of many companies who paid dearly for forcing unpopular policy down their employees throats - because it all just gets pushed onto the customer in the end.

Hey Gamestop - the customer is always right, stupid.

[quote name='camoor']Domino's used to have a "get your pizza in 30 min or the pizza delivery guy pays for it" - Car accidents aplenty

AOL had a "don't let customers cancel" policy - nationwide evening news coverage[/quote]

haha wow thats so bad

i gotta say...i work at a gamestop, and never once have i been told by my managers 'hey, you need to get your subscriptions and/or reserves up, or you're gonna be let go' and i by no means do a fantastic job of getting either. so, i don't buy the fact that everyone is saying that we're all about numbers. prolly it was just a shitty employee who was having a bad day and took it out on you, which sucks-I would get reemed more for poor customer service rather than not hitting so called 'numbers'

[quote name='McNutsack']Maybe in your unsophisticated state, but here in California they know all about my edge card, my magazine subscriptions, how many games I preorder a year.
Not only that, If I forget which games I have on preorder,takes them 3 seconds to look it up for me as a friendly reminder.

And yes, you're a bad customer OT.
They remember you, my friends GS always remember the people that preorder and cancel a lot, they have a list, mostly for people that like to use them for preorder bonuses.

Regulars at GS aren't that hard to remember; start building a respectable rep.
At worst transfer your preorder to another game, that way they won't get pissy. That's what I do.[/quote]

so Im a bad customer because My Xbox360 broke(Rings of Death), so I chose to cancel a $60 preorder? what preorder bonus where their for GTA IV at GS....None?

[quote name='coolsteel']I never knew they were penalized for preorder cancellations, seriously what the fuck? How is it an employee's fault someone decides bah I don't need this game?[/quote]

its not the employees fault. but it forces the employee to create a business relationship with the customer as a sales person. those more knowledgeable with games will most likely keep their preorders and have more returning customers going to them. (regulars know when their favorite employees are working) kinda like a favorite server at a restaurant or a favorite bartender at a bar

[quote name='magiic']I hate EB Games especially my local one. I should go in and pre-order ten games then just come and cancel them the next day. Just a bunch of useless fucks at mine. It would probably be good for a laugh to see them squirm taking a "-10" lol[/quote]

your picture is creepy

That is the biggest BS I have ever read in my LIFE. You need to report this jerk off to gamestop. If you pay money, they cant keep it and force store credit.

Go to TELLGAMESTOP.COM and report his bitch ass. Hell, you should call the police and tell them that gamestop is trying to defraud you.

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition is the first game I've pre-ordered at Gamestop in nearly 5 years (last one was Viewtiful Joe). I usually like to avoid their sales-pressure tactics.

Honestly, though, I've never had the trouble that you guys have mentioned at ANY EB that I've ever gone to. I browse, preorder when I want to, generally don't cancel unless I find a much better deal elsewhere, and even when I have I've never gotten lip from anyone. I've never even had trouble with my coupon tactics that force them to take a loss on almost every used game I buy.

On the trade-in values front, by and large they suck for anything but the newest titles. Don't trade those games there, duh! Goozex them or whatever. However, I challenge you to get $45.50 for a used copy of Smash Bros Melee anywhere else. If you have Edge and put the credit toward a targeted preorder like MGS or GTA that's what you've gotten the last few weeks, and that's just phenomenal. Use it when it benefits you. Do something else if you're gonna kvetch about it.

[quote name='themightypencil']i gotta say...i work at a gamestop, and never once have i been told by my managers 'hey, you need to get your subscriptions and/or reserves up, or you're gonna be let go' and i by no means do a fantastic job of getting either. so, i don't buy the fact that everyone is saying that we're all about numbers. prolly it was just a shitty employee who was having a bad day and took it out on you, which sucks-I would get reemed more for poor customer service rather than not hitting so called 'numbers'[/QUOTE]

Retail stores do depend on the manager in charge. If your working at a store and a douchebag manager is in charge, expect douchebag employees. It most likely varies by location and how a location is expected to perform, if a location is underperforming corporate might be putting more pressure on managers to get their numbers up which will in turn reflect in the way you are treated by employees. A manager might also be trying to get his numbers up for a variety of reasons, thus pushing the employees to sell more and return less.

Our gamestop here is pretty good, they aren't excessive with asking you about stuff and they don't ask you for trade in's when you walk in the door empty handed. The staff is friendly and knows their stuff when it comes to gaming. I just prefer to wait for price drops rather than buy video games at full new price since the price drops come fast enough to satisfy my buying and gaming needs. I just feel like a turd when I spend full price on a game only to have it drop before I get around to playing it. That does not mean I won't shop at gamestop, just means that I am less likely to preorder a full priced new game. Gamestop often has price drops pretty fast so I like to go buy my games right after they price drop if I see they have the desired price.

[quote name='McNutsack']Maybe in your unsophisticated state, but here in California they know all about my edge card, my magazine subscriptions, how many games I preorder a year.Not only that, If I forget which games I have on preorder,takes them 3 seconds to look it up for me as a friendly reminder.And yes, you're a bad customer OT.They remember you, my friends GS always remember the people that preorder and cancel a lot, they have a list, mostly for people that like to use them for preorder bonuses.[/QUOTE]

Employees don't know any of that stuff at my GS. I'm always asked if I want to sign up for the Edge card I already have or preorder that game I've had preordered forever. But yeah, he's probably trying to scam them out of the GTA IV preorder bonus. Hmm, now what was that? Oh yeah, nothing. If you can get them to give you a preorder bonus at all you deserve a round of applause. I'm a regular and most of the employees know me and I've still only gotten three preorder bonuses in the last two years.

I've only had two bad experiences.

One was when I refused to trade some stuff in that I checked the values on because of the guy's personal bias. I personally don't give a shit if you think Nicktoons Party Blast isn't worth $8.80. You won't give any more because it's a game you like so fuck off with the double standard.

The other was when some guy wouldn't let me return something. I can see if I was doing this repeatedly or if I would do it at the end of the return cycle. I came back two days later. I wasn't trying to defraud anyone with B2G1F. I bought 9 and was returning 6 because they could be found even cheaper (the huge markup GC titles).

[quote name='TahoeMax']Honestly, though, I've never had the trouble that you guys have mentioned at ANY EB that I've ever gone to. I browse, preorder when I want to, generally don't cancel unless I find a much better deal elsewhere, and even when I have I've never gotten lip from anyone. I've never even had trouble with my coupon tactics that force them to take a loss on almost every used game I buy.

On the trade-in values front, by and large they suck for anything but the newest titles. Don't trade those games there, duh! Goozex them or whatever. However, I challenge you to get $45.50 for a used copy of Smash Bros Melee anywhere else. If you have Edge and put the credit toward a targeted preorder like MGS or GTA that's what you've gotten the last few weeks, and that's just phenomenal. Use it when it benefits you. Do something else if you're gonna kvetch about it.[/quote]

Ditto. I've only had a prob with one store manager who basically threatened me. I was truly hoping he walked with me outside as I would've laid some hurt on him :). But since he didn't, I called the DM and filled out the survey. I got a call from the DM and was given a free PSP game, along with a face to face apology from that same store manager:).

Aside from that, I frequent 3 GS' and truly feel they value me as a customer. There's a GS next to my job, so I go up there three or four times a week during my lunch hour to demo some stuff, browse or occassionaly chat with the associate. There's one dude who is pushy; he follows you around the store talking about games and has bad b.o. :lol: He's cool, but i can only hold my breath for so long.

Anyway, I agree that you should use GS when it's convenient to you; otherwise this board will become ih8gaymstop.com (moreso) :lol:

I can always ask an employee (usually one I know) to see if I'm the only one who has preordered a game there (happens plenty of time since all I preorder are Atlus titles). So, the system they decent even though I always have to give my phone number and address when returning a game (shouldn't that be in the system along with your customer number? that still boggles me).

About preordering, preordering a game at GS is good for niche titles where the the store is going to only get in a few copies or a GS only title (like Chu-lip or the upcoming Chaos Wars). I like to pick up my niche games the day it's released to avoid the fact that in a few months they're gonna be gone from shelves and they rarely drop in price.

Other than that, I only shop at GS if I can find a good, rare, used game in decent condition for cheap.

But, yea, that a rather ridiculous experience you had to go through to cancel a preorder that you had a valid reason for.

[quote name='Poor2More']

GS: Well you can only cancel your pre-orders 3 times a year or you can only place the money on another reserve with no money back .

" Shut the fuck up. "

" Your a drone and a poser, i understand "

GS: What ever man I am going to remember this, so you still want to cancel?

" Ill take a picture and write down the date if you want, your a loser. "
[/QUOTE]

^ This. people like that gamestop employees have no reason to live.

im sorry to the decent ppl or cags that work at gs but heres my lil rant...Gamestop took all the dicks and freaky social rejects of society and crammed in in a store and is like "here sell our shit with a creepy passion."

Hmm, I just got a great idea by reading through this thread, there's a jerk.. in-fact, a full store of jerks, at one of the EB's in the Rockaway Mall in NJ.

I should bring an army of people down there, and have everyone pre-order a game, and then cancel it right after everything is typed-in. Rinse and repeat, until they refuse to take pre-orders anymore from me or my army, in-which I will then report them to the BBB, and notify the D.M. that they refused to take my pre-orders.

I could also just pre-order something, and come in and out of the store every 5 minutes while I'm there, and change it to another game, I think that might be the better solution. Definatly more rewarding.

I'd hope they'd get fired over option #1 though, that would surely make my day. :)

And yes, not many people would deserve to be fired, or have anything done to them in this world, but the people in this store, are long over-due for a reality check.

The other stores over here, I have no problem with though, everyone is usually very nice, and I've never really had any problems - it's just that one store (keep in-mind, there is an EB, a GameStop, and an EBX in this mall - all within 500 feet of each other - and another Gamestop outside the mall, down the road 2 minutes).

[quote name='The Chop Suey']im sorry to the decent ppl or cags that work at gs but heres my lil rant...Gamestop took all the dicks and freaky social rejects of society and crammed in in a store and is like "here sell our shit with a creepy passion."[/quote]
Your confusing GameStop with Walmart. I swear to work at Walmart you have to have some form of handicap, be it physical or mental. No offense to the ones with physical handicaps, they tend to be normal people, its the rest.

bread's done
Back