Resident Evil 5 (360/PS3) - General Discussion | News - New TGS 2008 Trailers 10/13

tenzor

CAGiversary!

re5logo5500300dpiresidezc2.jpg

"I knew it from the moment I arrive...theres no reason here...no humanity.... everywhere I look I find vacant stares...All I see is death" - Chris Redfield

Release Date - March 12, 2009 (Japan) March 13, 2009 (US/Europe)

US WEBSITE - http://www.residentevil.com/5/
JAPANESE WEBSITE - http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio5/

NEWS

10/13/08 - New Tokyo Game Show 2008 Trailers

1. Trailer TGS 2008
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21840
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bO4nbajCm0

2. Extended Trailer (WARNING: Major Spoiler at the End)! - This trailer contains a major spoiler at the end of the trailer. Watch at your own risk.
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21938
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlwVK66owok&feature=related

PLOT/STORY

Resident Evil 5 will take place after the events of Resident Evil 4, and approximately 8-10 years after the events of the original Resident Evil. The setting moves to African in a remote town called "Kijuju". Chris Redfield a former member of the S.T.A.R.S. team is now working for a new organization call the B.S.A.A. (Bio-terrorism Security Assessment Alliance). The B.S.A.A. is responsible for investigating, and preventing any type of biological weapons from being used. A report of a incident occurring in Western African sends Chris and his team to investigate.

Upon arrival we will meet a new characther to the series name Sheva Alomar. Sheva works for the Western African division of the B.S.A.A., and is assigned to assist Chris and his team around the area because of her extensive knowledge of that territory.

It does not take long after investigating that the B.S.A.A. discovers something is not right. Everyone is acting strange, and they seem to be infected with a unknown virus. Suddenly the investigation turns hostile as people there begin to attack the B.S.A.A. squad. Along with fighting for survival it is up to Chris and Sheva to also uncover the truth about what is really going on...

GAMEPLAY/FEATURES

-Sheva and Chris will be our two main protagonist for Resident Evil 5. Both are the confirmed playable characters.

-The game's environment will play a significant role. One example of the environment effecting your character is prolonged exposure to sunlight in the game which leads to you seeing hallucinations in the game. The game so far has only been seen in the day with the sun out bright with the exception of footage being shown of you entering houses buildings which are more dark.

-Lighting also plays an important role such as when you shift from a bright or dark area Chris Redfield will have to adjust his eye sight from moving from a bright area to a dark area or vice versa causing you as the player to lose briefly some sight to your surroundings leaving your vulnerable if not careful.

-A new control scheme has also been promised.

-The Mercenaries Mini-Game which was introduced in Resident Evil 3, but more effectively in Resident Evil 4 will be back. No word on which characters will be in the mini game but it is almost certain Chris Redfield, and the new female partner will be two playable characters.

-The enemies you face off against this time are said to be more fast, attack in greater numbers then in Resident Evil 4, possess human-like intelligence and awareness according to producer Jun Takeuchi. The chainsaw wielding enemy also makes a return in Resident Evil 5 to put you in further panic when playing the game.

-For the first time in the series, an online co-op story mode will be introduced that will feature in and out game play meaning anyone can enter and leave anytime during the game. It was also noted that both players are not required to stick together, and can be separated at points in the game.

CHARACTERS

chrisre5gw3.jpg

Chris Redfield
Chris Redfield is the main character for Resident Evil 5. Chris was last seen in Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast/Gamecube/Playstation2). He was also the main characther along with Jill Valentine in the first Resident Evil. As a former member of the S.T.A.R.S. Raccoon Police Department, he was also one of the individuals who played a hand in taking down the evil Umbrella Corporation responsible for the T-virus, and B.O.W's. Now in present day, Chris is now a member of the B.S.A.A. (Bio-terrorism Security Assessment Alliance). The B.S.A.A. is responsible for preventing any type of biological, nuclear weapons. An incident has been reported in Africa, and Chris along with his team is sent in to investigate which begins the events of Resident Evil 5.

641pxshevaalomarre5cj0.jpg

Sheva Alomar
Sheva Alomar is a new characther to the Resident Evil universe. She also works for the B.S.A.A. like Chris, but is apart of the African division. Sheva was sent in to assist Chris due to her knowledge of the area. Sheva will be Chris Redfield's new partner, and is also the characther the second player will control in the new Resident Evil co-op mode.

weskersy9.jpg

Albert Wesker
The series antagonist is back, and even more powerful then ever. In the original Resident Evil Wesker lured his S.T.A.R.S. team into the mansion to use them as test subjects against the horrors that Umbrella created. Wesker was later killed in Resident Evil by the Tyrant. However, we later learn Wesker survived because he had injected himself with the T-virus prior to being killed by the Tyrant. The virus also gave him superhuman strength, and power. After the original Resident Evil, it was believed Wesker went into hiding, but was manipulating the events related to the mansion incident.

escellaxp5.jpg

Excella Gionne
Excella is a new characther to the series, and from the trailers it seems she is the secondary antagonist of Resident Evil 5. Excella is a CEO of a company known as Tricell. Tricell plays a role in the virus unleashed in Resident Evil 5, and it looks like she partners up with Wesker from the trailers shown. Not much else is known about this characther. Stay tune.

92919820080820screen008kl6.jpg

Mystery Characther
This mysterious characther is seen throughout the recent trailers, and not much has been revealed about this characther. This characther was seen numerous times in screen shots, and videos appearing alongside Excella (above). Rumors and theories have been spreading that the person behind this mask is a characther from the past.

SCREEN SHOTS/VIDEOS

under construction

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess we can presume that female protagonist is not Claire Redfield then. Though other then that, AWESOME.

pretty awesome. can't wait.

did you notice the box art on gametrailers.com is sportin' an esrb logo? if it's already rated by the esrb it must be close to finished, dont' you think? perhaps it's just something gametrailers put together, though.

AMAZING.

So:
-takes place in Africa
-Plagas (or some variant) and/or Leeches from RE:0 (?) are back
-new female character is *NOT* Claire
-CRAZY huge crowds of zombies

But:
-Why is Chris in Africa? (besides the fact that it's chock full o' zombies! :lol: )
-Is Umbrella/Wesker involved?
-What is the new female character's role in the story?
-Will the game take place anywhere outside of the village in the trailer? (like in the jungle?! I wanna shoot some zombie rhinos!)

Otherwise, :drool:

I don't know. Seems way too much like RE4 to me.

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites
-Main hero going to a foreign country who then teams up with a native

Seems like they are copying the RE4 formula. I was expecting a mix of both the RE4 formula and old school formula.

[quote name='MarkMan']The new character's name is Sheva.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Its either Sleva or Sheva. There also appears to be another character named Josh.

Lots of details about the game are going to trickle out in the near future. I believe Famitsu will be covering it first sometime next month.

Lots of gameplay info that will make ppl squirm with joy!

Where's Barry? He better be mentioned in this game. They have done a great job keeping up with all characters but him.

I feel sorry for all other games coming out this year. After watching the new trailer it shot to the top of my most wanted list. If they manage to release it this year I will be a happy person.

[quote name='ananag112']I don't know. Seems way too much like RE4 to me.

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites

Seems like they are copying the RE4 formula. I was expecting a mix of both the RE4 formula and old school formula.[/QUOTE]

It's like all they did was paste Chris over Leon. :roll:

I am still mixed about the co-op story game. Seems more challenging and scarier if your by yourself and not with some idiot trying to get all the kills for themselves.

Wasn't Sherry Berkin confirmed to be in this one?

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites

Seems like they are copying the RE4 formula. I was expecting a mix of both the RE4 formula and old school formula.[/QUOTE]

agreed. they even reused a lot Leon's animations. and when did Chris start taking steroids?

all in all, I don't care though. I'm not one of those "the game has to be dramatically different from its predecessor" people.

-Why is Chris in Africa? (besides the fact that it's chock full o' zombies! )

Besides the obvious fact that he just wants to shoot black people, I'm guessing it's the same story as 4-- he was sent there for something else, then they heard the virus from RE4 popped in Africa, and now he's trying to find guy X who has a plan to take over the world with the virus.

My guess is the guy with the megaphone will be a boss just like the "big cheese" in the village of RE4. Just wait, someone is going to analyze the trailer soon.

[quote name='Apossum']

Besides the obvious fact that he just wants to shoot black people, I'm guessing it's the same story as 4-- he was sent there for something else, then they heard the virus from RE4 popped in Africa, and now he's trying to find guy X who has a plan to take over the world with the virus.[/quote]

Tom Clancy writes RE Novels now?:lol:

[quote name='joe2187']Tom Clancy writes RE Novels now?:lol:[/QUOTE]

Ubisoft has published Capcom's PC games in the past... UH OH

Tom Clancy's Resident Evil 5 STAARSX

Five characters:

Q, 1, ', 1, and 0.

I wonder which will "go gold" first; this, or Alan Wake.

I'm also interested to see how much they will ultimately, uh, 'diversify' the 'zombies' to keep the talking heads at least somewhat muted. Or is pure controversy their entire marketing strategy?

[quote name='mrlokievil']Where's Barry? He better be mentioned in this game. They have done a great job keeping up with all characters but him.

I feel sorry for all other games coming out this year. After watching the new trailer it shot to the top of my most wanted list. If they manage to release it this year I will be a happy person.[/quote]

I'd also like to see the return of Barry, but I doubt it'll happen.

MarkMan, you seem to have all the info. Any chance we'll see Barry in RE5?

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites

Seems like they are copying the RE4 formula. I was expecting a mix of both the RE4 formula and old school formula.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Too similar to the last RE, which I didn't enjoy. I'll pass this and play Alone In The Dark and Silent Hill.

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites

Seems like they are copying the RE4 formula. I was expecting a mix of both the RE4 formula and old school formula.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Too similar to the last RE, which I didn't enjoy. I'll pass this and play Alone In The Dark and Silent Hill.

Great trailer, I can't wait for Resident Evil 5. RE5 is a day one purchase for me after Resident Evil 4.

[quote name='Gameboy415']AMAZING.
-Will the game take place anywhere outside of the village in the trailer? (like in the jungle?! I wanna shoot some zombie rhinos!)
[/quote]

I'm sure it will, Resident Evil 4 featured other areas besides the village.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']My thoughts exactly.

Too similar to the last RE, which I didn't enjoy. I'll pass this and play Alone In The Dark and Silent Hill.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Siren on the PS3. That game looks pretty good.

What ever happened to the zombies that Resident Evil is popular for? Don't get me wrong, I loved RE4 but I was kinda hoping that the next installment would reintroduce zombies again. These guys look too similar to the Las Plagas. I'm just hoping that these new "zombies" would start to rot sometime in the game to create that eerie feeling I miss most.

-A chainsaw enemy
-parasites

yeah i fet the same way especially with the way some of them lose their heads and have those big worm dealys coming out. looks like they borrowed some from blade 2 as well. that said i still want to play it jut hope it has a deeper hand to hand combat system and more environmental interaction.

aside from that when the fuck will the 28 days series of films get a game? either that or an dawn of the dead remake film because i want to fight some fast zombies ( or infected humns). or at that very least a game set in all 3 of the original romero films.

I hope they return to the classic zombie type for a later game, with tight spaces and a nice aiming system (a la 4/5). It would give the series a nice mix of old and new.

[quote name='willardhaven']I hope they return to the classic zombie type for a later game, with tight spaces and a nice aiming system (a la 4/5). It would give the series a nice mix of old and new.[/quote]

A remake of RE2 with RE4/5 mechanics and current gen graphics would be awesome...

[quote name='willardhaven']I hope they return to the classic zombie type for a later game, with tight spaces and a nice aiming system (a la 4/5). It would give the series a nice mix of old and new.[/quote]The openness of RE4 made it a pretty easy game. A return of the cramped quarters of RE1/RE2 would definitely bring back the beloved "holy shit!" feature of the RE series. That said, I can't wait for RE5.

This trailer makes me want to go play RE4 on the Wii (even though the GCN version is superior).

[quote name='knightsdwn']A remake of RE2 with RE4/5 mechanics and current gen graphics would be awesome...[/quote]

Remakes suck.

Seriously, how could RE2 with RE4 mechanics even work? There's a ton of clausterphobic hallways, and the environments wouldn't work with a bunch of zombies.

This game is going to be awesome. I wonder what the bosses are going to look like.

[quote name='Chacrana']Seriously, how could RE2 with RE4 mechanics even work? There's a ton of clausterphobic hallways, and the environments wouldn't work with a bunch of zombies.[/quote]

have you ever seen a zombie movie? the way you could use re 4 engine to make re 2 is pretty simple. instead of a slow paced romp through an already gutted out town place leon in raccoon city right as the epidemmic is taking of the city. you could have hordes of zombies coming in from the forrest turning over busses and cars massive unfights against them with fellow officers. roof jumping barricaded last stands at the police station. deciding whether to save civillians or yourself or which civillians are more useful to save over others. that whats truly lacking in these games the really big decisiosn that could cost you in the end.

im all for them remaking re 2 with the re 4 engine and re 3. re 1 would be hard to do in that way however but considering youre in the city in re 2 itd be easy to pull off. beyond that they need to make an online re game the way theyre doing with that left 4 dead.

bread's done
Back