Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#3181 Teh Nitwit

Teh Nitwit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Make sure you walk (or stand still) when you try to block the flames. If you run then you're not blocking.

#3182 pram12

pram12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Man, 5-2 is so frustrating. That stupid poison swamp is owning me so hard. I have tons of MP, but having to go through 50 MP everytime I get poisoned (I think 30 for cure and 20 for heal) gets me mad. Plus, you can't even roll in this dump so the big troll thing keeps killing me. I think I'm going to use warding and light weapon on him... though I think that's overkill.

#3183 Goemar

Goemar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

Yeah those big trolls are annoying. I left the level 'till quite late in the game. The ring of poison resistance is pretty helpful. With the big trolls try to fight them so your on land. I took out the smaller ones without attracting the attention of the big one and then made the big one chase back to a piece of land to fight him.

#3184 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

With the big trolls try to fight them so your on land. I took out the smaller ones without attracting the attention of the big one and then made the big one chase back to a piece of land to fight him.

This. Definitely fight them on land - their blows are easy to avoid by rolling once you get up onto their islands.

Regarding the poison - use equipment that regenerates HP. Your HP goes down, but it's so slow you don't really need to worry about it. There's a ring for that which is easy to get, though I forget the name right now. Black leather armor also helps quite a bit due to its poison resistance.

#3185 Goemar

Goemar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Don't forget that health healing items do very little when our poisoned as well, so make sure you heal from the poison before consuming any grass.

#3186 pram12

pram12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:12 AM

This. Definitely fight them on land - their blows are easy to avoid by rolling once you get up onto their islands.

Regarding the poison - use equipment that regenerates HP. Your HP goes down, but it's so slow you don't really need to worry about it. There's a ring for that which is easy to get, though I forget the name right now. Black leather armor also helps quite a bit due to its poison resistance.

Is it the Regenerative Ring? I found it in the same level (5-2) so now, I have 2 health healing items I can wear. The ring and the Adjucator's Shield. Hopefully that will do enough to make poison almost a non-issue.

#3187 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

@Guardian_Owl, thanks, your strategy worked. I'm doing that FAQ and I've got the assassin's build, so my vitality is extremely low. Basically I did the ring + water shield combo; the fire did knock me down and took like 75% of my health. I was able to get back up and run to the arch though.

Ok, next problem. Ostrava must have died prior to 1-3. I saved him twice and didn't see him again in 1-3. So now I'm screwed.

My question is, is it possible to summon someone who has the mausoleum key and can open the door for me? Does anyone know for sure whether it works? If so, would anyone want to help me out?
Posted Image Posted Image

#3188 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

My question is, is it possible to summon someone who has the mausoleum key and can open the door for me? Does anyone know for sure whether it works? If so, would anyone want to help me out?

Nope, if you run back through 1-3 and can't find him anywhere on the steps, then better luck next playthrough. He would have dropped it where he died, if that's what happened, but that would disappear once you turn the game off.

#3189 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

It's almost certainly gone, as Jodou said. Just kill him in 1-1 on your next play-through to make sure you get the key. (Grab the key off his body before you go back to the Nexus.)

#3190 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

I usually stay far away from difficult games, but I'm interested in this one.

Is this game controller-throwingly, frustratingly difficult? Should I pass?
Posted Image

#3191 pram12

pram12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

The guy in the mausoleum (after the charging Black Phantom) is impossible. He takes like no damage, charges at you when you hit him, and takes about half damage from me :( My character in this game is so bad. Soul Level 75 and I am horrible in dealing out damage. Only good thing about him is he has tons of MP.

#3192 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

The guy in the mausoleum (after the charging Black Phantom) is impossible. He takes like no damage, charges at you when you hit him, and takes about half damage from me :( My character in this game is so bad. Soul Level 75 and I am horrible in dealing out damage. Only good thing about him is he has tons of MP.

Meat Cleaver is your friend here. That or Northern Regalia, but considering you probably have neither you can just use the backstab exploit that involves kiting him til he gives up chase. Once that happens (thief ring is a must), you can just walk up behind him for a sneak attack. The tricky part is when he gets low on health, at which point you just need to dodge his attacks and hit him with a strong attack from a longsword when he goes to heal. Don't bother wearing armor and just use the hardest hitting large sword you can find with a 2H stance for bonus damage. If you have a Morion Blade (doubtful) you can use the same strat above only with low health and the various extra items for hyper damage to really cut through him.

The tools are out there, but he's honestly one of the easiest bosses in the game with the right approach.

#3193 Invin

Invin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Poison him, retreat, poison him again (once it wears off).

#3194 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Poison him, retreat, poison him again (once it wears off).

That's for the False King, not Doran. Doran will heal himself.

Man, I might have to start a new character on the one year anniversary. I want a sequel sooooooooo bad.

#3195 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

That's for the False King, not Doran. Doran will heal himself.

Man, I might have to start a new character on the one year anniversary. I want a sequel sooooooooo bad.

I don't think he heals himself from Death Cloud, though, if you have that. That's how I beat him (super-cheesy).

#3196 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Poison cloud/death cloud before talking to him or attacking him should cause him to stand there and slowly die without coming after you

If you have soul remains (can buy them from grave robber bilge or farm them from skeletons in shrine of storms) toss them out, let him attack them, then backstab him. Repeat till dead

If that doesn't work Use a large weapon like great sword/Dragon Bone Smasher to damage him while knocking him down. If you don't have the stats to wield a big weapon like that put the stormruler from the end of the Shrine of storms on your alt weapon switch as it has knockdown. Knock him down, switch to your main weapon and attack or use the opportunity to hit him with magic, then switch back to the stormruler to knock him to the ground again.

Guardian_owl.png

#3197 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Nope, if you run back through 1-3 and can't find him anywhere on the steps, then better luck next playthrough. He would have dropped it where he died, if that's what happened, but that would disappear once you turn the game off.

I know that it's gone from my game for good, I was just wondering if I summoned a blue phantom (another player) that got the key in their game, would it be able to open the door for me in my game using the key that they got in their game.

I know I can just do New Game+ and kill him in 1-1, I just don't know if I'm going to want to do New Game+; also, isn't the difficulty harder on subsequent play-throughs?

#3198 Nerv_001

Nerv_001

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before but here is potential game breaking tip. If you love the game but die a lot or are worried it might be too hard, you can use this trick....

If you die anytime you can just go to "quit game" by hitting the PS button on your controller. You must do this as soon as you die. When you load the game back up your character will be safe and sound right before the spot you died. You can also do this against bosses and when you load it up you will be waiting outside the room to fight the boss. The game has so many cheap deaths it's almost impossible to not use this trick. You can also use this trick to dupe items as well if you have a partner.

This pretty much saved me from throwing my controller through my tv many times. enjoy : )

#3199 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:32 AM

I know that it's gone from my game for good, I was just wondering if I summoned a blue phantom (another player) that got the key in their game, would it be able to open the door for me in my game using the key that they got in their game.

I know I can just do New Game+ and kill him in 1-1, I just don't know if I'm going to want to do New Game+; also, isn't the difficulty harder on subsequent play-throughs?

Can't summon blue phantoms to areas which you have killed the boss and you already killed Phalanx.

If you know someone else playing the game with a similar soul level there is a method to dupe items, once they beat Doran they could dupe you the armor and the sword. The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.

Guardian_owl.png

#3200 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:59 AM

The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.

The armor is the best balanced in the game actually due to the light weight. Almost all endgame players use pieces of it, if not the full suit.

#3201 pram12

pram12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

I think I skipped 4 bosses accidently. Now I'm stuck with NG+. And the ending I got was one of the most anti-climatic endings ever. I am disappoint. I guess I'll redo the game lol.

#3202 Goemar

Goemar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

The good ending is always crap. And well, the game has a less epic end boss than Gradius. I wouldn't worry about it, just play the plus game.

#3203 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

The armor is the best balanced in the game actually due to the light weight. Almost all endgame players use pieces of it, if not the full suit.

Right, it's primary benefit is that it is the highest stated armor for males with no stamina regeneration penalty but I find that only really important if you are max tweaking your character for PVP. Personally I'd rather be slightly less efficient and wear a snazzier outfit. The only piece of ancient's I occasionally wear is the arm bands and I do fine in NG++.

Guardian_owl.png

#3204 surak

surak

Pickle Inspector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

My wife's build can't use magic and I'm tempted to get a second copy of Demon's Souls to help her. I haven't played the game so don't know how viable it would be try to go through the whole game this way (I know beating a boss revives the phantom character(s), which complicates things).
Backlog (gradually transitioning over to CAG)

#3205 saberz

saberz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:49 PM

I went through the game with no magic and am at the end, and have been for a month or so. Just not compelled to fight the "King". I'll get around to it one of these days.

Still have to beat:
Demon's Soul
Heavenly Sword(at the end)
GTA IV(close to the end).
[PSN] - INFO
Posted Image

#3206 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

You can go through with no magic, but magic makes it much easier in several places. Just depends on your playstyle, I guess.

#3207 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:07 PM

Even if you don't plan to use any offensive magic, it's probably a good idea to get at least 10/16 faith and/or 10 magic to get access to some useful buff miracles/spells which don't depend on pumping the magic stat to do damage.
Miracle
Evacuate = to return to the nexus
Second Chance (16 faith+15 Int) = Survive a mortal blow and refills half your health once per cast.
Anti-magic field (16 faith) = Prevents non-bosses from casting magic, VERY handy for the tower of Latria.
Magic
Cloak = Enemies have to get very close to see you
Cursed weapon(18 int) = Buffs your non-magic damage weapon for +50% more damage at a cost to health
Warding = greatly reduces physical damage taken
Water Veil = Reduce fire damage
Poison/death cloud = Useful against tough enemies by reducing their ability to heal while slowly sapping their health.

Guardian_owl.png

#3208 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

Can't summon blue phantoms to areas which you have killed the boss and you already killed Phalanx.

If you know someone else playing the game with a similar soul level there is a method to dupe items, once they beat Doran they could dupe you the armor and the sword. The sword is nice (if you have pure white character tendency) and the armor is decent statwise but so very fugly.

I didn't beat the 1-4 guy, do you think I could summon someone there and then we could walk all the way back to 1-1 and try their key on the door? I know I can get the key in NG+ but I'm just really curious.

#3209 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

I didn't beat the 1-4 guy, do you think I could summon someone there and then we could walk all the way back to 1-1 and try their key on the door? I know I can get the key in NG+ but I'm just really curious.

I'm pretty sure the blue phantom can't interact with anything in the host world (they can't pick up items or hurt NPCs, etc.) Also I'm pretty sure a fog gate forms behind you at the start of the level to prevent you from going backwards (though that might just be when a black phantom invades).
What's your soul level? Maybe I have a character close enough to you to drop you the items.

Guardian_owl.png

#3210 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the blue phantom can't interact with anything in the host world (they can't pick up items or hurt NPCs, etc.) Also I'm pretty sure a fog gate forms behind you at the start of the level to prevent you from going backwards (though that might just be when a black phantom invades).
What's your soul level? Maybe I have a character close enough to you to drop you the items.

I think I'm around 85 to 89... But I don't think you can drop keys b/c I checked that out already.
Oh well, I'm sure if it were possible, the FAQ would have mentioned it.