Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#3571 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

You also could arrow them to death. There is a distance where you can pepper them and they run to where they think the arrow is coming from. Takes a bit of patience and arrows but will work w/o having to melee them in the swamp.

I've done that many times and it works perfectly! But one thing to avoid is fighting the Black Phantom sister of Garl Vinland....the one who holds the Blind sword....and is a pain to fight :bomb:

#3572 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:59 AM

I've done that many times and it works perfectly! But one thing to avoid is fighting the Black Phantom sister of Garl Vinland....the one who holds the Blind sword....and is a pain to fight :bomb:

Yep, I eventually gave up trying to fight her fair (and I would if she didn't have that blasted healing spell) and just had to cheese it by using the thief's ring, staying at her periphery, and casting poison cloud over and over until she died.

Guardian_owl.png

#3573 Tavohl

Tavohl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

Yep, I eventually gave up trying to fight her fair (and I would if she didn't have that blasted healing spell) and just had to cheese it by using the thief's ring, staying at her periphery, and casting poison cloud over and over until she died.

Edit.Didnt read the full comment but was going to suggest using Death cloud, then i read the whole comment. Death cloud is very helpful. Slow but effective.

#3574 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

I just love Two-handing a Storm Ruler or DBS.

#3575 Tavohl

Tavohl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

any one knows if mephistopheles, dissappears if my char. tendency is not pure black?

#3576 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

any one knows if mephistopheles, dissappears if my char. tendency is not pure black?

Yes he does, well at least that's what happened to me, you have to be the purest black you can be for him to show up.

#3577 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

That's a chick dude lol

#3578 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

She doesn't.

#3579 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

That's a chick dude lol

AND that's why I only bothered to unlock HER once :lol:

#3580 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I just got this today and started playing. I've gotten my ass handed to me on a silver platter on 1-1, but I still really like this game. Hopefully I can manage to avoid getting toasted by the dragon for my third time on that damn bridge.

fs_overall.png

#3581 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

I just got this today and started playing. I've gotten my ass handed to me on a silver platter on 1-1, but I still really like this game. Hopefully I can manage to avoid getting toasted by the dragon for my third time on that damn bridge.

It's all about the timing, I died many times too the first time I decided to try and outrun the dragon:lol:

#3582 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

Just keep at it. In many ways, getting past the first level is the hardest part of the game.

#3583 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

Keep at it, the game is very hard in the beginning when your soo weak. Try to farm souls and grasses from the enemies in 1-1 and boost up your stats a bit. You can run past the dragon with timing (and the sprint button!). You can also kill that dragon with enough arrows or the Soul arrow spell, even at extremely low level.

I used like 150+ arrows to kill that damn dragon and it felt sooo good when I did. He flies in a pattern, and there are safe spots you can hang out it and snipe at him with arrows.

The game rewards patience and careful play. Dont run around and rush into new areas. Go slow, and keep your shield up at all times when in a new area. Once you know an area you can move through it faster on subsequent playthroughs, but go slow and steady your first time through.

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.

#3584 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Here's a nice trick for giving you more time with the dragon. When you stand on the bridge, the dragon will repeatedly make dive bomb runs and blow fire on the bridge, giving you little time to cross. However, as soon as you move toward the dragon nest down the left-hand corridor, it will stop that, fly over and perch to prevent you from grabbing the trinkets in the nest. It cannot turn around mid-flight, it must land at the nest before it can fly back to the bridge.

So walk to the bridge to lure the red dragon into a dive bomb run. As soon as it it sweeps low about to breath fire on the bridge, run back toward the nest. It will complete its bombing run, then it will begin to fly back to the nest. As soon as you hear it moving back to the nest run over to the bridge and start crossing it. By the time the red dragon lands at the nest, takes back off, and flies over to the bridge to do a bombing run, you should be long across. The same procedure can be used to give you more time to grab the items in front of the red dragon's perch in the nest since if you time it right, you can beat the dragon back to the nest and grab the items before it touches down.

If you are wearing enough armor that when you attempt to roll it is not fluid, but instead like you are falling over, your equip burden is over half. If your equip burden is half or less then you can sprint faster and roll like a gymnast to avoid damage. For example if your equipment burden is 100, and your armor and weapons add up to a weight of 52, you will have a gimp roll. If they add up to 50 or less you will roll fluidly. If they add up to 101 or over, you won't be able to roll at all (the animation looks like you sneezed) and you will move quite slowly, even when sprinting. Take off enough armor when you get to the bridge so that you can move faster and roll to prevent getting cornered by the soldiers on the bridge.

Keep at it, the game is very hard in the beginning when your soo weak. Try to farm souls and grasses from the enemies in 1-1 and boost up your stats a bit.

Can't boost up your stats until you finish the first level, that's one of the reasons the first level is such a challenge for first time players.

Edited by guardian_owl, 25 February 2011 - 04:52 PM.

Guardian_owl.png

#3585 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Can't boost up your stats until you finish the first level, that's one of the reasons the first level is such a challenge for first time players.

For some reason I remember the Dragon being in 1-2, so I was thinking momouchi had beaten 1-1 already and could level up.

#3586 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

For some reason I remember the Dragon being in 1-2, so I was thinking momouchi had beaten 1-1 already and could level up.

The red dragon strafes a short bridge with fire near the end of 1-1 (where the poster is currently stuck) but it also strafes the wider, much longer causeway in 1-2 which connects between the outer sections of the castle and the inner ward.

Guardian_owl.png

#3587 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

The red dragon strafes a short bridge with fire near the end of 1-1 (where the poster is currently stuck) but it also strafes the wider, much longer causeway in 1-2 which connects between the outer sections of the castle and the inner ward.

Ahhh, I see. It's been a long time since I played 1-1 for the first time (still havent reached NG+ yet).

Thanks for the clarity

#3588 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Ok I have one question does your Demon Soul Level matter at all? I can't really tell since nothing has a level next to it's name just health bars.

It's defined as this: each time you upgrade your stats your soul level will go up by one, and what this does is it helps you find you people to play online with, whether it's vs or co op, and the limit is within 10 soul levels from yours.

#3589 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Ok I have one question does your Demon Soul Level matter at all? I can't really tell since nothing has a level next to it's name just health bars.

At soul level zero, 80 stat points have already been distributed to a character depending on its class. Different classes have different starting levels.

For instance the royalty class is soul level 1, so it has 80 + 1 = 81 stat points already distributed. A Thief is level 9, so it has 80 + 9 = 89 stat points already distributed. Thus add 80 to a player's soul level to determine how many stat points they have been able to distribute. At 120 (standard soul level for PVPing) a character has been able to distribute 200 stat points.

As stated in the post above mine, only players around + or - 10 soul levels can enter each other's games so there is not such a huge difference in stat points between two players.

Guardian_owl.png

#3590 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Ok, I finished the Valley of Defilement last night. I also beat the Old Monk. I didnt realize that fight could be against another human player. I got owned the first time because I played a human and was not spec'd out for PVP. I went back again with better equipment and had to fight the computer and was able to win, but it was close.

So now all I have left is 1-4, the Blue Dragon and whatever comes after. I use my bow to take the Dragon down to half health at the first encounter, but he keeps owning me on the stairs with his fire breath. Any tips?

Also, is Ostrava suppossed to give me a key to the Masoleum on 1-1? He hasnt done so yet, but when I get to the second Bue Dragon fight he is there getting roasted over and over. Does he need to live to give me the key?

Thanks!

#3591 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ok, I finished the Valley of Defilement last night. I also beat the Old Monk. I didnt realize that fight could be against another human player. I got owned the first time because I played a human and was not spec'd out for PVP. I went back again with better equipment and had to fight the computer and was able to win, but it was close.

So now all I have left is 1-4, the Blue Dragon and whatever comes after. I use my bow to take the Dragon down to half health at the first encounter, but he keeps owning me on the stairs with his fire breath. Any tips?

Also, is Ostrava suppossed to give me a key to the Masoleum on 1-1? He hasnt done so yet, but when I get to the second Bue Dragon fight he is there getting roasted over and over. Does he need to live to give me the key?

Thanks!

It's better shown than explained:

#3592 billyrox

billyrox

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Noob question.

which stats do you upgrade first? I have a Royal with a Cresent Simatar

#3593 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Noob question.

That question really can't be answered because it depends on what type of character you want to have.
If you want to just plow through the game with ease then most obvious stat to increase is strength but when it comes to PVP you might get defeated very often. Have you read the Demons Souls wiki?

#3594 billyrox

billyrox

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

That question really can't be answered because it depends on what type of character you want to have.
If you want to just plow through the game with ease then most obvious stat to increase is strength but when it comes to PVP you might get defeated very often. Have you read the Demons Souls wiki?

i just dont know what's good for each.. is there one thats good for noobs?

i just dont care really which stats to upgrade...i just need to spend my money

#3595 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

i just dont know what's good for each.. is there one thats good for noobs?

i just dont care really which stats to upgrade...i just need to spend my money

Well the Royal class is good for overall character build up so you started on the right track. Honestly if you're not building up for anything in specific I say go for strength and HP.

#3596 billyrox

billyrox

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:14 AM

it jsut looks like most poeple spend most of their levels on Endurance and Vitality and thats it

#3597 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:32 AM

I'd say go for vitality (hp), endurance (for better armor while still being able to roll), and magic, if you want to play your character as a mage (great for PvE, not as good for PvP).

#3598 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Demon's Souls has to be one of my favorite games of all time and it was the reason why I bought a PS3. At times it reminds me of old school Ultima Online in Felucca where you were just waiting to get killed. I'm playing through the game again now as an archer and I'm already planning my next playthrough as a Blueblood.

TheVila.png

#3599 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

It's better shown than explained:

Thanks for that vid. I didnt realize I could stand that close to the Dragons fire without getting burned. I was starting my runs from much further back.

Last night I killed the blue dragon, then I got the masoleum key and got the sword from the old king, then I beat the King in 1-4, then beat the final boss (what a joke) and started my new game plus.

So I'm in human form in world 1-1 on NG+, and I just want to beat the boss so I can spend the 120,000+ souls Im rollin around with and I get invaded!

This guy was good and had some tricks up his sleeve. I would cast poison on him and he would cast this spell where he would fade to invisible, and I'd lose my target lock on him, then when he faded back he would be at full health, and not poisoned, and I'd have to start over again. He also had a seemingly limitless supply of full heal grasses.

We sparred and rolled around for at least 5-10 minutes with noone getting the upper hand. Luckily I had plenty of grasses and was much quicker than he was. Finally I got tired of his constant healing and bum rushed him and took off over half his health. When he ran away to eat grass I sprinted after him. I was finally able to kill him with what looked like a backstab (never did that before, no idea how I did it) and I killed him.

It felt great because he was definitely better spec'd for PvP than me, and I was just trying to protect my souls.

Is there anyway to see your PvP records? I'd love to know how many times I've successfully killed an invader vs how many times I've gottan owned.

Now I need to study the Wiki to get the most out of my next playthrough. I've never had any pure black events yet so I may try to get those. I also need some pure darkmoon stone.

#3600 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

Something to keep in mind with attack skills, every 10 points sees diminishing returns, the amount of increased damage you gain decreases per point put in. IE, get about the same 1-10, then 11-20 get the same each point, but less than you got per point 1-10. And so on and so forth till about 50 or 60 I think it is when the increase is very marginal per additional point. The change at 10 rule also applies eventually with vitality and Endurance when you get into the 30 and 40s.

This has the list of stats and what they do
Items burden is your maximum inventory weight, IE. total sum of all items, equipment, and weapons that you can carry on your person, the rest you have to leave behind (and if you leave the level it will be gone for good) or give to stockpile Thomas.

Intelligence you get extra spell memory slots at 10, 14, 18, 24, 30, 40 and more MP, but not more magic damage. The Magic stat is what ups spell attacks damage (those cast with a catalyst).
Faith ups attack skill for miracles (cast with a talisman) and gives more miracle memory slots at 10, 16, 24, 36.
Each spell or miracle, depending on how badass it is, takes up a certain number of memory slots (1, 2, or 3) which you can switch out at any time at a vendor.
Even if you don't intend to use magic / miracles as your primary attack it is still useful to have 2 or 3 spell and miracle slots for buffing spells/miracles like Warding, Second Chance, light weapon, etc. or utility miracles like evacuate.

Stamina is lost per weapon swing and also absorbs some of the damage when attacks hit your shield/blocking weapon. More stamina = more weapon swings before you have to stop to let it recharge and the more hits you can take before your guard is broken. If your guard is broken you are stunned for a moment, wide open to an enemy's next attack. Stamina continues to increase per point of endurance until 40 at which point it maxes out at 160 stamina. Most people stop at 40 unless they wish to roll unrestricted with heavier weapons/armor (see next paragraph).

Max Equip burden determines how much equipment / weapons you can wear before it hampers your movement.
Equip burden </= 50% max equip burden -> full range of movement, rolling, etc.
50% Max equip burden < equip burden </= max equip burden -> limited rolling and sluggish sprinting
Equip burden > Max equip burden -> no rolling, no sprinting
(IE. with max equip burden of 100 you have full range of movement up to 50 equip burden, limited range of movement from 50.5 to 100 equip burden, and very restricted movement at 100.5+ equip burden)

Strength and dexterity up the physical damage of the weapon depending on the base stats of the weapon and how it has been modified by ore. For instance crushing weapons crafted with greystone use strength as the sole modifier to determine damage so one would only want to put enough minimum dexterity to wield the weapon as any more than minimum will not up damage. If you do not meet the minimum requirements of a weapon, it will do substantially less damage. Some weapons have a magic or faith requirement.

Two-handing a weapon multiplies your strength by 1.5 (IE 20 strength is 30 strength when two-handing) so if a weapon does the majority of it's damage with Faith, Magic, or Dexterity; two-handing will do hardly or no additional damage. Increased strength while two-handing also means your base strength just needs to be 2/3rds the minimum requirements of the weapon in order to wield it two-handed with no damage penalty. If you want to two-hand a lot of the time, make sure to keep in mind the rule of 10 for diminishing returns. IE two-handing at 33 base strength (effective strength of 50) will see a much bigger increase in damage than two-handing at 60 base strength (effective strength of 90).

Luck increases the QUANTITY of drops but not the QUALITY of drops so, for instance, it doesn't increase the likelihood of obtaining a pure bladestone from a black skeleton, or higher quality ore from crystal lizards since they always drop something. I always leave it at base.

Noob question.

A lot of people choose to upgrade vitality because it increases HP and how much stuff you can carry. Endurance because it ups so many other things (how heavy armor/weapons you can carry, all resistances except magic and disease, and arguably most importantly, stamina).

If you intend to stick with a crescent or moon weapon, damage is primarily determined by your magic stat, so you only want to get enough strength/dexterity to meet the minimum requirements of the weapon. Magic will also increase the damage your spells do.
Some weapons you may want to look for to craft moon / crescent.
moon: claymore, knight sword, Mirdan hammer, Uchigatana, winged spear, great sword, great axe, guillotine axe, or Full weapon list at bottom
crescent: estoc, falchion, Uchigatana, Kilij or full weapon list at bottom
Play around with the various weapons one-handed/two-handed in the Nexus as you collect them and chances are you will find a weapon with a move set you prefer. For instance a spear or Estoc is great when paired with a shield and a great sword, Mirdan hammer, or great axe are nice for two-handed builds.

I would determine how many spell memory slots you want, and increase intelligence to that. Up magic to a multiple of 10 like 40 or 50, get enough faith for a few miracle slots if you want to use 1 or two of the buffing miracles, then put the rest in endurance or vitality. If you are unsure of what you want your primary weapon skill to be, vitality and endurance are fairly safe skills to dump points into as they are required for most builds.

edit: been adding to this for the last hour or so.
===
Oh and most importantly, if you ever accidentally hit a vendor in the Nexus enough that they become hostile, immediately press the PS button on your remote and exit out of your game so that it won't save. Vendors which become hostile to you / are killed will NOT BE USABLE AGAIN until you finish the game and start a New game+.

Edited by guardian_owl, 06 May 2011 - 03:29 AM.

Guardian_owl.png