Photo
- - - - -

Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

• Please log in to reply
4075 replies to this topic

#1951 io

io

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

I need to make this Morion blade thing but I don't think I can this playthrough (my second). I think I used that soul for a spell or miracle. I have all the miracles done and should get all the spells next play.

All I have left on this one is the Storm King and the False King. I may go ahead and do the Foe's ring sequence as well since it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to borrow that one.

Thanks to Chibi I got the bladestone trophy, as that was gonna be a serious pain. However, I still have the cloudstone one to do. I used the large sword of searching (which I just made last night) to farm the greystone chunks I needed for the crushing axe. But for the cloudstones I only have one chunk and I think that is on a corpse in 4-3. So I'll get one more this play but then I still need 5 more. Since they never drop from the stingrays it looks like 7 playthroughs are needed to get that :roll:.

The guide says to get the stingrays in 4-2 because they have a higher chance of dropping them. But in 4-2 it is impossible to get them to fall on the narrow cliff-side path (the onlyplace you are outside). maybe that was a typo and they meant 4-3? Still, I farmed there quite a bit last game and never got one. I have tons of shards though.

Someone here said the red eye knights on 1-3 are good for soulsucker and give you like 52K. Wrongo - I get about 12k from them with the Ring of Avarice on. The guide doesn't mention them at all - what it talks about is the black phantom black katana skeleton on 4-2 that you can backtrack from the 4-3 archstone to get to. I guess this is also how you can get bladestones. I'm not sure if I'll bother with that though it will probably be good for me to make the world 4 WT black so I can get a better chance of cloudstone drops too so maybe I can farm some levels from the skeleton too.

But another good place to do it that is really easy and very quick is by backtracking from the 3-4 archstone to the black phantom Octupus men in the stairwell. You can get about 20-30K just from those 2 and it only takes a minute. And it doesn't require black WT for those guys to show up.

Also, someone said the Talisman of Beasts is not as good as a dedicated catalyst or talisman. Well, it may have to do with my magic and faith levels, but it does WAY more damage than my silver catalyst. I finally decided to try it last night and now it is saving me a ton of time from trying to switch them back and forth all the time - it is nice to have one thing to use for everything! I would recommend using that ASAP.

#1952 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

You and Chibi can always dupe w/e you need to level up a weapon as long as you have at least one of the item.

I got your message, Hari. Let me know if you still need help.

#1953 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

I think they must have meant 4-3 cause its impossible to get the drop from storm beasts if you kill them in 4-2. However, even in 4-3, the chunks are still rare as Fuck. I must've done 5 runs, and gotten 1 chunk. Even then, I still had a bunch of stones that fell over rocks and I couldn't pick them up cause of the way the storm beasts fall and die.

7 Playthroughs is probably overkill. Remember to find out which shield requires the least amount of materials to upgrade. Looks like soldier's shield or buckler is a good option.

#1954 Ecofreak

Ecofreak

That's Ah Bingo!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:07 AM

Congrats to the Demon's Soul thread -- more posts and more views than Uncharted 2. It's understandable considering there are so many more components to discuss, but still very impressive for a niche game that very few people knew about until the game actually launched.

So I think this game will have strong legs.
[thread=49233]Trade List[/thread]

#1955 io

io

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:57 AM

Man, if you're going to PvP at that level, you always run with anti-magic memorized. That guy was an idiot.

What exactly does anti-magic do? Does it negate all spells for a short time or something? I have it but I've never felt the need to use it in the regular game.

I think they must have meant 4-3 cause its impossible to get the drop from storm beasts if you kill them in 4-2. However, even in 4-3, the chunks are still rare as Fuck. I must've done 5 runs, and gotten 1 chunk. Even then, I still had a bunch of stones that fell over rocks and I couldn't pick them up cause of the way the storm beasts fall and die.

7 Playthroughs is probably overkill. Remember to find out which shield requires the least amount of materials to upgrade. Looks like soldier's shield or buckler is a good option.

I said 7 playthroughs because there is only 1 you get from a corpse - and given how many rays I've killed and collected drops from without getting a single chunk I figure I may have to go that many. And I already checked the guide - 7 is the minimum you need for the crappy shields, which is why I said 7 ;).

But now that I have the large sword of searching, I'll try making the WT black and then going after them so more. The spiderstone drops from the miners in 2-2 increased dramatically in black WT so maybe it will help with these as well. Like you said, though, it is hard to get the drops not to be on top of rocks you can't reach :bomb:.

I had to go into the end of 2-2 about 15 times last night with the sword (but not at black WT) to get 4 chunks of greystone. So I don't expect rapid progress - but I need to get 6 chunks... It would be nice to upgrade a decent shield, but oh well - I guess there's no point.

#1956 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:33 AM

What exactly does anti-magic do? Does it negate all spells for a short time or something? I have it but I've never felt the need to use it in the regular game.

As in you can't cast spells at all. It completely shuts down mages.

#1957 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

What is longcat? Is it a cat that is long or something? I've heard about it but I've never seen it.

#1958 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:30 AM

I said 7 playthroughs because there is only 1 you get from a corpse - and given how many rays I've killed and collected drops from without getting a single chunk I figure I may have to go that many. And I already checked the guide - 7 is the minimum you need for the crappy shields, which is why I said 7 ;).

But now that I have the large sword of searching, I'll try making the WT black and then going after them so more. The spiderstone drops from the miners in 2-2 increased dramatically in black WT so maybe it will help with these as well. Like you said, though, it is hard to get the drops not to be on top of rocks you can't reach :bomb:.

The way I got the chunks was farming on 4-1. Reason why is that the rays there drop every time. I would run up the stairs, kill the first two rays, then jump off the ledge, repeat. (Those two rays were the easiest to get the drops to fall on land). The chunks were very rare, it probably took me as long to farm them as it was to get a pure bladestone.

I couldn't figure out how to get rays on 4-2 to drop on a ledge, and on 4-3 the drops alone were rare (so just having a chance at a rare chunk was that much more miniscule). Plus that area gives me a headache to begin with.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#1959 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

io: I think I have the soul for the morion blade, I just haven't bothered making it. I could try to make it sometime and give it to you.

But it only works in a certain range. I've killed someone with magic when there was anti-magic field around.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1960 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:49 AM

But it only works in a certain range. I've killed someone with magic when there was anti-magic field around.

The point is, it protects you within lethal range. Outside the field, everything is very easy to dodge or block. If they died to something outside the range, then they deserved to die for being awful.

#1961 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

Well, it was at the beginning of 3-1, can't really dodge there.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1962 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

I had that on for the old monk fight tonight and people were casting away... Clue me in.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#1963 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

People as in who? If a host casts it, it doesn't affect blue phantoms. If a blue phantom casts it, it doesn't work on the host.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1964 io

io

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

The way I got the chunks was farming on 4-1. Reason why is that the rays there drop every time. I would run up the stairs, kill the first two rays, then jump off the ledge, repeat. (Those two rays were the easiest to get the drops to fall on land). The chunks were very rare, it probably took me as long to farm them as it was to get a pure bladestone.

I couldn't figure out how to get rays on 4-2 to drop on a ledge, and on 4-3 the drops alone were rare (so just having a chance at a rare chunk was that much more miniscule). Plus that area gives me a headache to begin with.

Well, I did a bit of farming on 4-3 tonight. I went in about 15 times and got ONE chunk. I even spent 7 or 8 stones of ephemeral eyes to get it to black. When I did that the drops were much more frequent but I still didn't get any chunks (I got the one early on when it was white). But, for example, one time in black WT I got 7 drops from the rays, but all shards... Then the server bugged out and when I came back in it was in neutral WT! WTF!? I disabled online after that and will get it back to dark again tomorrow. I also noticed that a few worlds I had at pure white went down a notch and I didn't do a thing in there. The onlne is hosed in that respect (it always seems to revert to neutral by one step each time you log in).

The good thing about farming on 4-3, at least, is that you get a lot of souls out of it as well, so it was sort of worth it for that, though it is getting tedious.

Then I discovered I screwed up in my last game. I had read in the guide that there is a chunk as treasure on 4-3. I had one in my inventory before I got to 4-3 this game so I assumed that was from the treasure. But then I couldn't find it in the NG+. I looked at the FAQ and it says there are "some" chunks on a body near Storm Ruler (the sword). I was, like, WTF!? I went all over there. So I just went back in and it is WAY off to the right of Storm Ruler down by the cliffs. You have to jump down (or follow the cliff) to get to it. The fucking body has TWO of them. So, yeah, I missed them on my first game but must have gotten one from a drop. Add the 1 drop I got tonight and the 2 from the corpse and I now have 4 of the 7 minimum. I guess I need to play 2 more times anyway to get all the spells and weapons, though on the 4th playthrough you don't need to do World 4 at all (I'm already done with all the demon's souls there in terms of weapons/spells). So unless I can farm 1 more I'll need to play through all that on the 4th playthrough. (I'll get two more from the 3rd play anyway).

So, yeah, in any case at least it doesn't require 7 playthroughs like I said earlier.

Now, the bladestones are a bitch and I'm super glad Chibi had that Sharp weapon to lend me. While I had world 4 briefly black I backtracked from the Old Hero archstone to the black phantom black katana skeleton. It was a bit of a pain because you have to go through the glowling light cave and I actually got killed there like 3 times - my shield didn't seem to work this time. But when I finally got to him and used soulsucker I'm pretty sure I got 25K + 50K for the spell. 75K on one kill is tremendous. I also got a single chunk of bladestone - my first so far in the game! That pure bladestone would be a nightmare.

To contrast, the geckos in 4-3 yielded 4 or 5 pure moonlightstones (or maybe darkmoonstones, I forget) when I took them out after Storm King :roll:.

io: I think I have the soul for the morion blade, I just haven't bothered making it. I could try to make it sometime and give it to you.

Thanks, but I no longer need it - it was Storm King's soul that made it and I just beat him in my second game and made the sword. Now I can try the strategy of that + clever rat's ring + bow to take out the False King.

So, when certain enemies like the Octopus Men and Maneater cast that ringed shield like thing is that the anti-magic field?

#1965 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Got my Platinum today, finally! Thanks to Jodou for all the help.

Funny thing happened, I was fighting maneater, I got the first one down to one arrow before the fog, then I went in and killed him. Second one swooped down, I cast firestorm, and he was down to a sliver of life. Then he disappeared. I spent like 5 minutes looking for him. Turns out he was flying above the old monk tower, REALLY REALLY high up. I couldn't attack him in any way so I just walked around hoping he would come down. Eventually he did and I killed him, but I'm wondering if this bug might have to do with me attacking the first maneater through the fog?

Yeah no matter what you do this game should NEVER require more than 4 playthroughs to get platinum, unless you Fuck something up with the boss demon souls.

#1966 weevles

weevles

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

How much "easier" is the game @ soul level 712? One shot a lot of things?

#1967 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Got my Platinum today, finally! Thanks to Jodou for all the help.

Grats, mate! About Maneater: you just found one of the ways I used to bug them out for a 1v1 until I was ready to fight the other. You can either get him to fly sky high or infinitely run into the fog by using thief's ring and some baiting. The boss AI is really, really bad in this game to a seasoned exploiter lol.

How much "easier" is the game @ soul level 712? One shot a lot of things?

Many of the bosses you can one-shot with firestorm. Any strong spell will usually kill everything in one hit. I mean, you have to be trying real hard to get yourself killed at 712.

#1968 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

I dunno I got hit twice by BP Satsuki and died pretty quickly in body form.

I was in Soul Form in your game Jodou, and the BP OctopusMan one shotted me with soul arrow when I was at full health.

I was being dumb, and it wasn't cheap, but yeah, the game is overall a lot easier at 712, needless to say.

#1969 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Then I discovered I screwed up in my last game. I had read in the guide that there is a chunk as treasure on 4-3. I had one in my inventory before I got to 4-3 this game so I assumed that was from the treasure. But then I couldn't find it in the NG+. I looked at the FAQ and it says there are "some" chunks on a body near Storm Ruler (the sword). I was, like, WTF!? I went all over there. So I just went back in and it is WAY off to the right of Storm Ruler down by the cliffs. You have to jump down (or follow the cliff) to get to it. The fucking body has TWO of them. So, yeah, I missed them on my first game but must have gotten one from a drop.

Thanks for mentioning this because I totally missed them in my first (and second) playthrough too. I'm thinking there is still a single chunk at the beginning of 4-3 as treasure, though, but I can't remember for sure. Either way I wasted a bunch of time farming chunks when there were two on the cliff the whole time.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#1970 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

I was in Soul Form in your game Jodou, and the BP OctopusMan one shotted me with soul arrow when I was at full health.

Lol, that was just seconds after you were warning me about him, even though I was already prepping and hiding around the corner to pop out. I saw you out there trying to bow him and said this dude is gonna die, just as you did.

#1971 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Yeah seriously i JUST found out you can side roll and dodge while you're in that 3rd person bow aiming mode. Oh that would've saved me so many herbs and deaths :(

#1972 io

io

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:13 AM

Funny thing happened, I was fighting maneater, I got the first one down to one arrow before the fog, then I went in and killed him.

I see a lot of people talking about getting him to one arrow before going in. Why? Can't you just kill him outright before going in? That's what I've done the two times I've fought Maneater.

Salty - I don't think there is a single chunk treasure at the start. I've been all through that level and haven't found another. Though I suppose maybe I didn't look up near the top that much since I just come in at the Storm King archstone and take out the rays there directly. I'll check it out later as I'll be in there for sure. I want to farm at least one more so I don't have to bother with world 4 in my 4th playthrough (that will give me 5, then I can add the 2 from next playtrhough and I'll have the 7 to upgrade a stupid buckler or something). I still have some sort of hope for DLC or possibly using the save in a sequel, though, and would like to upgrade a purple flame shield. But I think that requires 9 chunks.

Since I'm just about done with my second playthrough I might try the black CT stuff (Mephistopheles quests). I don't think I'm gonna get someone to lend me the Foe's ring so I might as well - it's the only one I have left to get.

#1973 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

I'm in a rut with this game. About halfway through my new game + and Fuck it is just SO hard. I thought that once I got SoulSucker things might get better but I'm not really sure where I should farm souls with it. Any tips? I think I'll try to get to 4-4 at least so I can farm there.

#1974 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

I'm in a rut with this game. About halfway through my new game + and Fuck it is just SO hard. I thought that once I got SoulSucker things might get better but I'm not really sure where I should farm souls with it. Any tips? I think I'll try to get to 4-4 at least so I can farm there.

Get World 4 to Pure Black WT. Equip Soul Sucker and Evacuate and a decent bow and Thiefs Ring and Ring of Avarice.

Go to the Old Hero Archstone and backtrack through the slug/white ball room. Go kill the 3rd reaper with your bow. Keep going till you're close to outside.

You should see a Black Phantom Black Skeleton. Get close enough to soulsuck him (your left foot should be barely past the grass) and he'll give you 56k souls. Keep going and there will be 2 Black Phantom Gold Skellies. Soulsuck them (run away after you suck the first so the second turns around). Keep going. You should be in the room with the 2nd reaper, kill him with your bow and evacuate.

This is what Jodou and I did before we glitched. You should get around 130k souls each run.

#1975 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:08 AM

Salty - I don't think there is a single chunk treasure at the start. I've been all through that level and haven't found another.

You're probably right. Perhaps I was thinking of another hard-to-find chunk such as greystone that there's a treasure of one.

#1976 io

io

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:14 AM

You're probably right. Perhaps I was thinking of another hard-to-find chunk such as greystone that there's a treasure of one.

I was short on greystones too, but I got those by going to the Flamelurker archstone, backtracking to 2-2, and attacking the 6 worms that spawn there. It took me about 45 minutes to get the 3 or 4 more chunks I needed. They tend to drop a little more frequently than the rays.

#1977 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

Alright guys I am a bit behind most of the followers here but i have 1-4 left.. from things I have read its
Spoiler

But is there anything i should do before proceeding? I have farmed some of the geckos but do I need to use any of my demon souls or colorless before I move forward?

Edited by Snake2715, 16 November 2009 - 04:26 AM.

-Josh

Posted Image

TRADE LIST

#1978 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

Alrioght guys I am a bit behind most of the followers here but i have 1-4 left.. from things I have read its

Spoiler

But is there anything i should do before proceeding? I have farmed some of the geckos but do I need to use any of my demon souls or colorless before I move forward?

You don't need to use the colorless souls, but be sure to get them all. Especially the two from the bird's nest lady that are easy.

As far as the demon souls, I'd use the ones that have multiple uses if you're interested in getting the platinum trophy with the minimum four playthroughs.

Another consideration would be that in NG+ you can't do special upgrades until you beat Flamelurker again. During my NG+, I was regretting not being able to use colorless souls on items that would have boosted my magic that would have made Flamelurker easier to beat.

#1979 stk i wvu

stk i wvu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:27 AM

So my xbox rrod'd on friday in the middle of MW2 run. It was out of warranty, so I traded it to GS for $60 in credit. I was either going to get Dragon Age or DS.

I picked this game up (possibly against my better judgment haha) and have had it sitting beside my ps3 for 2 days and just reading about how to start out so that I wont tear my hair out.

I would say I am pretty decent at games and like RPGs. Some people have said that the game is not THAT hard but I dunno. I bought it used at Gamestop so I guess I will just return it if its too frustrating.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for starting out, thanks.

#1980 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:37 AM

its not that hard actually. Keep coming back here and its just that much easier!

Edited by Snake2715, 16 November 2009 - 03:26 PM.

-Josh

Posted Image

TRADE LIST