Toys R Us: Playstation 3 40 GB - $299.99

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

It'd be cool to see someone post pictures of making their PS3's HDD into a back up external HDD. I have never heard anything before about what people do with their PS3 HDD after upgrading.

There is nothing special about it, just a hard drive enclosure case.

#32 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

Toys R Us has a far, far better deal on the PS3 right now than Wal Mart, and let me tell you why.

Before the price drop, there was a bundle for the 40gb PS3 you could get for 349.99, which included the 40gb unit (with or without Spiderman 3), Sonic The Hedgehog, a two cradle charge kit, and a choice of a Blu Ray movie (any of Pirates of the Carribean films, Wild Hogs, Ratatooie and maybe one or two other movies I can't recall). I was in with a friend tonight, and the sign was still up, so I told him to go for it as it was still a pretty decent deal.

The end result? a 40GB PS3 with Spiderman 3, Sonic The Hedgehog, Wild Hogs, and the charge cradle came out to $315 with tax. That's right- all that stuff was FREE. I don't have his reciept to scan it for you, but I assure you this is definately real. If anyone can find all those things in their TRU, I strongly suggest you try this before they catch on.

#33 uuaww

uuaww

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

i will be heading to my true tomorrow
My GameTZ Feedback, over 250!
http://gametz.com/user/The_U.html

#34 S0DA POPINSKI

S0DA POPINSKI

New system, but such an last gen backlog still

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'd go for this, but $300 is still too expensive for a system in which the only game I truly want to play is MGS4, and I already played that.

sub LBP for MGS4 and thats what I was thinking :P

Looking for Complete and Very Good - Mint Original Xbox games and Accessories. Please take a look at my list for trades :)

http://www.cheapassg...-original-xbox/

#35 indysurfn

indysurfn

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Maybe a stupid question, but is it Backwards compatible with ps2 games?

It is a great question because the whole class wants to know the answer! IE me!

#36 Knoxximus

Knoxximus

STOP! POSE FOR THA FRAME!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

It is a great question because the whole class wants to know the answer! IE me!

No, it is a stupid question because EVERYBODY should know that NO 40GB PS3 SKU has EVER been backwards compatible. :drool:
Posted ImagePosted Image

MH3:
Code: YTLACG
Name: Knoximus

#37 PikaPichu

PikaPichu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

sub LBP for MGS4 and thats what I was thinking :P

sub GT5 for LBP and that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the post op! I'll check out my TRU later today.

#38 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

There is nothing special about it, just a hard drive enclosure case.

Yeah. Once you take it out of the PS3, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. You just buy an enclosure from Newegg, ZZF, or the such, and then you just follow the directions that come with the enclosure.

#39 Boltbacker

Boltbacker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

No, it is a stupid question because EVERYBODY should know that NO 40GB PS3 SKU has EVER been backwards compatible. :drool:

Knoxximus,

Your the one that looks stupid because it should be NEVER been backwards compatible.:imwithst:

#40 Jon Bon

Jon Bon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

Knoxximus,

Your the one that looks stupid because it should be NEVER been backwards compatible.:imwithst:

Wouldn't that be a double negative? :applause:

oh, and you're = you are

Bart: You are my guest, and I am your host. What is your pleasure? What do you like to do?
Jim: I don't know... play chess... screw...
Bart: Let's play chess.

#41 J7.

J7.

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

Yeah. Once you take it out of the PS3, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. You just buy an enclosure from Newegg, ZZF, or the such, and then you just follow the directions that come with the enclosure.

How much are enclosures?

#42 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

How much are enclosures?

There's a large range of them out there. You can get ones for as cheap as $5.

#43 mastikeg

mastikeg

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

Whats included in these bundles? Spiderman3 blu-ray and a controller? Anything good in the other? Probably going to stop by my TRU tomorrow to scope things out.

#44 meta460085

meta460085

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

Just came from there, Spider Man bundle at $300. Picked up Puzzle Quest for the DS for $12 from their door buster sale :) Anyways, $300 is such a tempting deal- I feel too paranoid using my discontinued 80GB :( This deal is right in line or better with how good a price the 360 Arcade is. Their extended warranty doesn't look too appealing though, but I guess PS3s have a very good failure rate.

Ha ha ha, I preordered the Metal Gear limited edition from Amazon because I did not want to use my 60Gb PS3, now I might have to get this to avoid causing wear and tare to my MGS PS3. With my horrible shopping habits I will single handedly save the economy. (I need help)

#45 dragilores

dragilores

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Just curious, did any other CAG-ers out there manage to get this?

#46 dannydumbass

dannydumbass

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:07 AM

Ha ha ha, I preordered the Metal Gear limited edition from Amazon because I did not want to use my 60Gb PS3, now I might have to get this to avoid causing wear and tare to my MGS PS3. With my horrible shopping habits I will single handedly save the economy. (I need help)

you guys are worrying about breaking your systems? im trying to get ahold of a 60gb ps3 and wondered if sony would repair it at my cost of course(which is fine)

#47 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

LOL, I have a sealed 60GB sitting in my basement too. When someone posted the gunmetal 40GB for $400 I almost bit but then realized it would probably be sitting right next to my 60GB and 80GB which would be ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if sony cuts the PS1 BC and then I wouldn't use a plain 40GB :drool:

#48 dragilores

dragilores

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:08 AM

Be careful about putting in the basement, one of the people I know did that and the PS3 ended up suffering water damage.

#49 WhiteCrane

WhiteCrane

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

The 40 gig has been $299 for a long time now...

#50 J7.

J7.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

Why do you guys have multiple PS3's sitting in your basements?

#51 eau

eau

KP-X 00-00-00-00-1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:53 AM

Why do you guys have multiple PS3's sitting in your basements?

Let me guess. Folding? BC backup? Sony fanboyism? Investment?
"Woah! This pain feels so good! So good!" — Albedo / Xenosaga

#52 Needles-Kane

Needles-Kane

White hot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Be careful about putting in the basement, one of the people I know did that and the PS3 ended up suffering water damage.

I know, its sitting on a tall table with nothing touching it.

#53 Cloggerdude

Cloggerdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

I just picked one of these up with the Spider-Man Blu-Ray at my local store. I had thought about going for one of the 80gb deals, but I figured I could always just upgrade the hard drive later. Besides that, I really don't have to have rumble in my controller.

I also picked up a 8ft Monster HDMI cable for $19.99. I had planned to order one from Monoprice, but for $19.99 I figured I would rather have it now and not have to wait for shipping. Turns out the cable was mistagged (rang up $49.99), but the cashier went ahead and price adjusted it.

Can't wait to get home and try out the Kung Fu Panda Blu-Ray I purchased at BB.

#54 mastikeg

mastikeg

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:15 AM

I can also confirm this deal to be true. Got spiderman3 in the deal, came to $324 with tax. Now just to order an HDMI from monoprice...