GoGamer Madness (11/11): Dead Space ($34), Sacred 2 ($32), GHWT ($44)

If Dead Space had any kind of multiplayer that would be an easy sell. I have to say it's the best single-player experience I've had this year, topping Bioshock because of its innovative combat and removal of the HUD.

[quote name='carpwrist']If Dead Space had any kind of multiplayer that would be an easy sell. I have to say it's the best single-player experience I've had this year, topping Bioshock because of its innovative combat and removal of the HUD.[/QUOTE]

Innovative combat? It played like Resident evil 4. The only thing innovative about it's combat is forcing you to cut off limbs. Its removal of the HUD was awesome though. Anyway DS is great buy it everyone.

Gamehead, I didn't quite finish RE4, but I did put in about 6 hours into it. The only thing I think those combat systems had was the perfected camera. Dead Space had several more tweaks than limb removal. The weapons were incredibly diverse, some were kind of bizarre (ripper). Weapons like the flamethrower, contact beam, force gun, and mine laser, plus all the alternate firing modes made combat very interesting and incredibly fun all the time. RE4 had pretty boring weapons in comparison. Also, stasis and telekinesis have been done before in other games (Psi Ops, Fable II), but it was pretty exceptional in Dead Space. They did straight up jack the post-mortem mutations, where tentacles go flailing out of the recently decapitated.
I see what you're saying, but I don't agree with you, except for that part about how everyone should buy it.

Dead Space is a rental, so skip that obviously (or get it on console).

But what about Sacred 2? It's probably going to be good, but are they selling it or just renting it?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dead Space is a rental, so skip that obviously (or get it on console).[/quote]

Wolfpup, I know where you are coming from with all the times you keep mentioning copy protection, but to me its time to face reality on these cross-platform titles. PC users are lucky to get them at all, so I'm still going to support them where possible (if its not a crappy port) so I'm not stuck with DRM by default on consoles for everything, plus missing out on the other PC advantages.

There are other games that don't have activation. And either way, you're just renting it unless you're willing to break the law to actually retain access to the game you bought. I'm not, nor am I willing to support products like that.

Nice find! I had Sacred 2 pre-ordered on Amazon for $50. Time to set up a gogamer account I think. :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']There are other games that don't have activation. And either way, you're just renting it unless you're willing to break the law to actually retain access to the game you bought. I'm not, nor am I willing to support products like that.[/quote]

I understand your mind is made up, but buying the console version instead just because of the copy protection on the games we are actually fortunate enough to have a choice on is not the message I want to send.

Yeah, well maybe it's the wrong thing to do-maybe we should all be boycotting the companies that use any activation at all. I don't know where to draw the line, but for the time being, for moral and practical reasons I'm drawing it at not buying games that have activation.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dead Space is a rental, so skip that obviously (or get it on console).

But what about Sacred 2? It's probably going to be good, but are they selling it or just renting it?[/quote]

Selling. What Wolfpup means to say that his opinion of Dead Space is that it's only worth a rental. GoGamer doesn't rent games out, let alone a PC game.

Anyway, the price on Sacred 2 is a great deal. It's a prequel to the first Sacred, but I doubt you need to know anything from that game considering that it came out in 2004. It's an action RPG in the same vein as Diablo in terms of gameplay. Six classes, right click the hell out of things, loot, etc. The graphics seem to look really good. I passed on the imported Limited Edition (which GoGamer still has for $69.99). But for $15 less than retail, I'll be picking this up.

One question though, is this US retail? Doubt it would make a difference but just wary about the GoGamer and their imported versions.

[quote name='Dezuria']Nice find! I had Sacred 2 pre-ordered on Amazon for $50. Time to set up a gogamer account I think. :)[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that it's the International version (you can tell from the I next to the name of the game). From what I've read, that version won't let people play on the U.S. servers.:cry:

[quote name='typeRJ']Selling. What Wolfpup means to say that his opinion of Dead Space is that it's only worth a rental. GoGamer doesn't rent games out, let alone a PC game.[/quote]

I mean to say EA is only renting Dead Space on PC, they don't sell it.

I don't know about Sacred 2 though, or I'd probably order it.

The first one certainly had nice graphics! Don't know about the sequel though :whistle2:/

[quote name='carpwrist']If Dead Space had any kind of multiplayer that would be an easy sell. I have to say it's the best single-player experience I've had this year, topping Bioshock because of its innovative combat and removal of the HUD.[/quote]

Dead Space was good, no where near as good as Bioshock though. Not even close!!

[quote name='fierywater']Keep in mind that it's the International version (you can tell from the I next to the name of the game). From what I've read, that version won't let people play on the U.S. servers.:cry:[/quote]

Errr...canceling this. Thanks for pointing that out. The game comes out this week anyway. Hopefully a good price comes along, but I'm in no rush.

[quote name='fierywater']Keep in mind that it's the International version (you can tell from the I next to the name of the game). From what I've read, that version won't let people play on the U.S. servers.:cry:[/quote]

I completely missed the fact that it was an import last night, and just updated the original post as well. Sorry about that. :whistle2:#

I played the Sacred 2 demo, and I thought it was really bad. The acting and writing are abysmal. Someone's bound to like it, though; the graphics are pretty, and it's kind of Diablo-ish. I am not a big fan of that type of game, so naturally I'm not going to care much for it, especially after enduring the ridiculously awful voice work. They just don't make them like that anymore.

I'd recommend trying the demo first.

I was tempted to grab Dead Space to see what the fuss is about, but... nah.

Darn, that's too bad. I played the demo of the first one and thought it seemed pretty good-I mean just a really pretty Diablo clone.

I'm sort of mixed on the genre. I LOVE Nethack, but I'm in no rush to play another Diablo game. Probably had my fill for a long time. (Particularly after playing through FOUR Snowblind games!)

bought Dead Space for PC off the bay for about 25 bucks. No regrets. The controls blow though so if you have a gamepad highly suggested. Mouse/Keyboard isnt bad per say, its just very sluggish and feels unnatural.

As it has no multiplayer it is ideal as a rental for sure, but if you're primarily a PC gamer and have another friend interested you could always split the cost. The game can be played without the disc and is only limited by the installs. Buy it, enjoy it for the 8 hours of fun, and thats it.

My wife loves the first Sacred. She throughly enjoyed the Sacred 2 demo as well.
Only reason we passed on this deal was because it was the International version and we want the US version for collection purposes. So we'll wait for a deal on that.

bread's done
Back