Portal - $4.96 at circuitcity.com

It has Steam. What that means is that, by purchasing this game, you're granted access to create a steam account, in which you can download tons of other games directly to your computer, as well as install games you've already purchased on however many other computers you wish. As far as I know there's no limit. The only exception being you can only have one computer logged into that account at one time, so you can't play two different games on the same account within one household, for example.

Basically Steam is everything that DRM tries to be, while not inhibiting you from enjoying your games to their fullest extent by installing bullshit SecurRom technology or anything like that. I personally love it.

Yeah, as far a DRM goes, Steam is the best (which is easy, because it's the only remotely positive one). It requires you to activate it online and everything, but in return, you can download a game you've activated from their servers, in case your discs ever crap out on you.

Actually, when I buy a Steam game at retail, I don't even touch the disc. I just punch in the serial number and download away. Probably saves me a lot of patching.

Once I'm done, I don't know why I even keep the thing on the shelf since it's completely useless at that point.

Any free shipping codes floating around? I know $7.48 shipped is still $2.50 cheaper than what amazon has the game alone going for, but this is cheapassgamer. :)

If for some reason you don't have The Orange Box...you should kill yourself (I kid)...buy this, now. Short game, but very enjoyable.

Also, thanks for pointing out Portal Prelude. Sounds interesting. I had to reformat my computer some time ago, and I haven't bothered getting around to re-installing a lot of my games. Should probably get Steam back up and running.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If for some reason you don't have The Orange Box...you should kill yourself (I kid)...buy this, now. Short game, but very enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Deals like this are exactly why I never wound up with Orange Box:
Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition: $7 @ CC
Half-Life 2 Episode 1: $5 @ CC
Half-Life 2 Episode Pack: $5 @ CC
and now
Portal: $5 @ CC

Portal Prelude is too difficult, and the creators are douchebags towards anyone who implies that on their messageboard. I'm serious, it's like inaccessibly difficult to anyone but basement dwellers.

Portal starts out fun, but gets too hard for me. Clever concept though.

And yeah, Steam *IS* activation DRM, though at least as activation goes it's upfront about it. And obviously for the price it may be worth putting up with for a lot of us (I picked up Episode 2 for $8, despite steam).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Portal starts out fun, but gets too hard for me. Clever concept though.[/quote]

Too hard, mentally, or too hard for your reflexes? I didn't think it was that bad on either count, but it is unfortunately a game that is impossible to have an adjustable difficulty.

There were challenging parts, but nothing that I got stuck on and frustrated with. The fan-made maps are rife with flat-out unfairness, though.

bread's done
Back