Photo
- - - - -

Space Invaders Extreme (PSP/DS), Exit (DS), Legend of Kage 2 (DS) $10 and more at GS

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 Jibbajaba

Jibbajaba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:06 AM

The bottom line is that if I pay the full/new price for a game, I shouldn't have to bust out Goo Gone to get rid of the sticker residue on the insert. And not only does a gutted copy mean that the case has been handled by greasy little hands, but the instruction manual may have been taken out and handled/mishandled as well. The bottom line is that a "gutted" copy is no different than a used copy. Their excuse is that a gutted copy has still never been played and is therefore new, but I know from firsthand experience that gutted copies do get played by employees and their friends (as I used to be one of those "friends" at a locan EB Games.)

People are still "moaning and complaining" about gutted games because Gamestop is still gutting games.

#62 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:10 AM

I already have Space Invaders for the PSP but should I get it for the DS? It's 8$ used. What do you guys thinks? I hope GameStop has a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal soon.

Get it only if you really want it for both portables. I bought the DS version at launch mainly for online play novelty, and just ordered the PSP one because of the smooth and shiny graphics (regretted not getting from the start).

My DS can't go online at home anymore because of WPA so it's basically pointless now. I could never get over how ugly it looks on the DS. Just ugly. The upside is a retro feel with the jaggies if you're into that.

Best if you can get online with lower security because it was fun to randomly play against people from wherever.

#63 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

My DS can't go online at home anymore because of WPA so it's basically pointless now. I could never get over how ugly it looks on the DS. Just ugly. The upside is a retro feel with the jaggies if you're into that.

Setup a cheap 802.11b router (or your old one) and set it up piggyback and restricted to only internet use for your legacy stuff. Easier said than done, but that's what I've got setup. I also let guests use that if they bring their internet enabled devices over. I put a password on it, but since its only WEP that's just for the car thief defense (there's already completely open ones on my block so maybe they'll get those instead).

GS sucks. I guess they aren't going to bother to restock this any time soon. And yes, their selling used as new sucks, and I'd like to hear any valid reasons why it doesn't. I mean, how stupid do they think we are? Look at the age group that works there. If that thing is out of the package its being used. I'm sure somebody has even used one-time use codes, I just haven't heard about it.

#64 morpheus47

morpheus47

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:54 PM

Here's another price drop: http://www.gamestop....roduct_ID=72515

:wii: Sam and Max Vol. 1 19.99 new/17.99 used

This is still 29.99 at Amazon.

Cool, thanks. I never would've seen this. Picked up this and LoK.

#65 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

Setup a cheap 802.11b router (or your old one) and set it up piggyback and restricted to only internet use for your legacy stuff. Easier said than done, but that's what I've got setup. I also let guests use that if they bring their internet enabled devices over. I put a password on it, but since its only WEP that's just for the car thief defense (there's already completely open ones on my block so maybe they'll get those instead).

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know you could do that. My DS is the only thing restricted to WEP so I'll have to weigh the worth of getting another router and finding the specifics. Besides Space Invaders Extreme, the only other game I played online was Clubhouse Games.

On the GS sucking part, that's why I ordered online to avoid stepping in the store. Got an unexpected free upgrade on shipping so it hasn't been completely bad. I may retract that if the used game I ordered along with SIE turns out craptacular.

#66 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Thanks OP, Picked up the PSP version used for 8 bucks. Its a great value at that price.

#67 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Grabbed 2 copies of LoK2. It's looks like alot of fun and my friend's going to get the other copy for Christmas :)

#68 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Don't forget Space Invaders Extreme for DS works with the Posted ImagePaddle Controller,
which makes the game way more fun to play. Can't say that about the PSP or upcoming XBox Live Arcade versions.

Bought Legend of Kage 2 and Space Invaders Extreme. Thanks OP!

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#69 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Tracked down used PSP version (addicted to the DS and need to find a paddle...)
and found Away for DS based on some comments posted here...

#70 maguszxz

maguszxz

Vote Drake/Sully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

I got my copy today while I was doing my Christmas shopping. They gave me their last "new" copy of the game. If it wasn't for the price, I wouldnt have got it like that.

fs_overall.png

blackwindguy.png

#71 icarusmight

icarusmight

What it do!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:10 AM

While at the my local mall shopping for Christmas, I found a sealed copy of Space Invaders (psp) so I finally picked it up. Like I said, its the principalities!

#72 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:51 AM

I already have Space Invaders for the PSP but should I get it for the DS? It's 8$ used. What do you guys thinks? I hope GameStop has a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal soon.

there's no point, the DS version is worse cause of the split screen bonus stage & boss fights

#73 hordak

hordak

Rockin' CAGer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:12 AM

there's no point, the DS version is worse cause of the split screen bonus stage & boss fights

I didn't have any issues with the split scene.

#74 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

As I pointed out earlier, only the DS version works with paddle controllers, which is a pretty big plus for those who care to buy the controller.

-Paul Acevedo

#75 briandadude

briandadude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

As I pointed out earlier, only the DS version works with paddle controllers, which is a pretty big plus for those who care to buy the controller.

Meh, why should we pay $30 (3X the cost of the game itself) for a peripheral the company didn't bother to sell in the US?

#76 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

Cry more.

#77 inthegray

inthegray

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

here's a good comparison of the PSP and DS versions (conducted before the price drops). looks like the DS version is the way to go!

#78 SniperREX

SniperREX

Space Cowboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

I got Legend of Kage 2 and Space Invaders Extreme (PSP).

Thx op :)
See You Space Cowboy

#79 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

I have the paddle and I found myself preferring the dpad controls, its too awkward to hold the DS when you use the paddle, the only way to use it is to put the DS on a table but then when you do that pressing the R button becomes awkward

#80 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:45 AM

I have the paddle and I found myself preferring the dpad controls, its too awkward to hold the DS when you use the paddle, the only way to use it is to put the DS on a table but then when you do that pressing the R button becomes awkward

I don't know, I never had any problems and found Arkanoid wayyy more fun to play with it. But I haven't given Space Invaders a shot yet.

-Paul Acevedo

#81 typeRJ

typeRJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

It does feel unnatural at first. I can't use R as my shooting button. The A button works pretty well for me. I put my middle finger under the controller, then turn the paddle with my index and thumb. Think of the game as a hybrid between Arkanoid and Space Invaders. The paddle helps to fine tune your shots and helps you get away from a mess of laser beams and fired shots.

When I get a laser, I scroll as fast as I can in the proper direction. Or with the spread shot I fire off a lot of shots, covering ground as quick as i can. The game was made with the controller in mind for precision and quickness. And the classic arcade paddle feel. But other than that, d-pad does the job just fine.

#82 jdeluis

jdeluis

Now In Stereo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the deal OP! I was able to find Space Invaders Extreme DS and Legend of Kage 2, both sealed.

#83 eugaet

eugaet

1d20 to save vs CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:28 AM

Picked up Exit DS and Legend of Kage 2 over the past few days. Already got Space Invaders Extreme from a previous sale. Thanks for the heads-up!

Tradelist: LINK :: Strategy Guide Tradelist: LINK :: XBLA Code Tradelist: LINK

#84 00JON

00JON

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=69425

Space Invaders Extreme is now $9.99 at Gamestop.com. Use code SAVER to get free shipping but you have to spend $25. I ordered it with Battlefield BC $19.99 for the 360. After tax total was 32 something. Sweeeet!

#85 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Just finished Legend of Kage 2. Awsome game ever ;)
"Evil is Funs"

#86 Tom Ato

Tom Ato

Vine Ripened

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Just finished Legend of Kage 2. Awsome game ever ;)

I'm really impressed by it too. It's an old school 2D platformer with Ninjas! Plus, unlike Contra 4 and others like it, the game is not ridiculously hard.
Like video games and bad writing? Then buy my book! Only $.99 for kindle!

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

#87 argyle

argyle

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

here's a good comparison of the PSP and DS versions (conducted before the price drops). looks like the DS version is the way to go!

I'm still torn - it seems to me "better music" is probably pretty subjective, and doesn't hold as much weight with me as better graphics. At the same time, I have been playing my DS more lately, esp. since my wife has basically taken over the psp. :-P Hrmmm.....
Posted Image

#88 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

Space Invaders for $10 is a terrific deal.
[cp][/cp]

#89 n3xus1

n3xus1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

Thanks so much for the heads up! I picked up Space Invaders and Legend this afternoon.
Posted Image

#90 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:37 AM

I'm still torn - it seems to me "better music" is probably pretty subjective, and doesn't hold as much weight with me as better graphics.

You think the difference between say a 192 kbps song and a 48 kbps song is subjective? Those are just estimates but I'm sure most people could tell the difference between the DS and PSP versions' sound.

-Paul Acevedo