GameFly + Street Fighter IV = Potential CAG Bonanza!

daringone

CAGiversary!
If you're a GameFly member for over a year, you could score some serious savings on SFIV. Even if you're a GF newb, you can save substantially.

If you're lucky enough to get it shipped to you today, GameFly's "Keep It" price is $47.99. Nobody's rented it before you obviously, and they ship you the case and manual free, so you essentially get SFIV new for $48.

If you're a long time member (over a year) you also get 10% off, dropping the price to $43.19! Steal!

But wait, there's more! If you still have your $5 off loyalty coupon you get every quarter, you can commit larceny and get this game for just $38.19, over a $20 savings from MSRP!

God I love GameFly :)

ive been doing this for the longest..

if theres a game i want that i dont need on release day.. ill have one slot open on my queue on its release... have it shipped to me and keep it.. plus i have the additional 10% off

You can almost never get a New release or any newer game for that matter. I canceled my subscription because i could never get a game that i wanted.

I just signed up for 30 day trial (was going to this weekend). The two games in Q are "Not for Sale" unfortunately. That is if I get Street Fighter IV at all anyways.

For sale != Keep it

If you are actually sent the game, you always get the keep it option, it just doesn't show up until the game is in "at home" status.

Also, as for getting new games, I use the same strategy. I either keep a slot open, or send back a game the day before release (I live in Ohio and my ship center is Pennsylvania) and I get my game. 6 times I've done this with a 100% success rate.

Just to be fair here this works on any new release. They are always $43.19 for me after discount.

And I always get new releases shipped day 1. You just have to work your Q properly.

Yeah, this is what I do with most new releases. I've decided that saving $20 on new games I want is worth waiting a few days. It's a bit unfortunate when the games aren't released by GameFly until a few days after retail, but it's still a great deal.

And despite what elsteveo claims, I've had no trouble getting new releases quickly. You have to wait a while for your case/manual, but you at least have the game pretty quickly.

[quote name='elsteveo2']You can almost never get a New release or any newer game for that matter. I canceled my subscription because i could never get a game that i wanted.[/quote]

You just have to time it correctly on the new releases. I try to get one of my two games turned in so that it gets to Gamefly the day before NEW RELEASE X comes out, and then blank my Q except for NEW RELEASE X. When the game becomes available the next day you are pretty much assured getting the game shipped to you same day (just did this today with SF IV).

HOWEVER...

If you don't time it right, or decide you want a newer game that came out a couple of months ago...good fucking luck. I have had Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and Fable II in the top 5 of my Q for three months now, and I still have not been able to get a single one of them. Same for FEAR 2 last week; I got hit by some ridiculously slow shipping times getting my game back to Gamefly (usually takes 2 business days, this time it took 6), and now I doubt I will be able to get my hands on FEAR 2 for a couple of months.

Yeah this is an easy and very common trick for Gamefly users. I've done it plenty of times.

Also, I've e mailed Gamefly customer service about their weak quantities on newer titles like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge and how it can take months for them to become available. I asked them why this is even a problem when they know the demand will be ridiculously high for those games. A real fucking person actually responded to me in less than a business day and even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear, it was probably one of the kindest and most polite e mails I've ever read. She told me to be patient and that X360 games are always the hardest to get but they make it their priority to get you the games as soon as they can.

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this in but I thought I would let you guys know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had luck w/my GFly new releases. In about 2.5 years, I haven't gotten 2 new releases on my que. I consider myself lucky!

I have bought Left 4 Dead, CivRev and Rainbow Six V2 all as new releases for the sub -$45 range like described by OP.

Yea, I was just going to post this on the boards. I just made sure to clear my list for Street Fighter and have an open queue item and noticed the $47.99! Just got my 3 month $5 off coupon too. Love it.

EDIT: And it shipped!

great if all those things aline and u can get it for that price,but its way too many things that have to happen in order to get that price...not really a readily available deal to all cags..good luck to the GFers..let us know if you lucky enough to get it shipped!

[quote name='daringone']For sale != Keep it

If you are actually sent the game, you always get the keep it option, it just doesn't show up until the game is in "at home" status.[/quote]

That's not true. Some old and/or rare games cannot be bought through the "Keep It" option. I have Theresia for the DS right now and I have to rent it until I beat it :bomb:. Even though I'd like to buy it.

not to be a jerk but if i pay 15.99 a month for one game out and buy it now for 47.99 - 10% = 43.19 then i get a game for 59.18 but then i get to rent games all month that might be 3-4 games. sounds good for people that like to rent games but its not for me sorry im out

[quote name='ryanmassacre']not to be a jerk but if i pay 15.99 a month for one game out and buy it now for 47.99 - 10% = 43.19 then i get a game for 59.18 but then i get to rent games all month that might be 3-4 games. sounds good for people that like to rent games but its not for me sorry im out[/quote]

Yeah, its not for everyone if you don't rent games. I usually just buy'em myself for that matter since I sell'em online.

BUT there is a free trial if you want to be a one-and-out. Maybe it'll work for you or maybe not. Although i'd look around the web for a 30-day link and not take up the 10-day one they are offering.

Been doing this for years. Actually it used to be $44.99 but they jacked up the price for new releases recently. Still beats any game retailer out there. I love Gamefly. I've built most of my collection getting games from them. $20 cheaper than retail just because they open the game seals for me and send the games a couple of days after release? I can live with that!

Needless to say, I intend to do the same with Killzone in a couple of weeks. And I've been saving my $5 coupon for that one.

I will admit GF is definitely better than the evil GameStop for most "pre-played" purposes. You know the condition of the disc you are buying, you already played it, and you know you'll get a case and manual that is practically unused.

I always use this procedure when I want a new game.

Clear my GF queue of everything except the one I want.
Send back the games I have a week in advance.

It is that simple. I always have that title shipped when it is released and use the buy it now option. Good stuff.

And here I thought I was unique! Look at all of us cheapasses!

I agree with a few. Comments back. GameFly isn't for you if you don't do the renting thing... But for those of you that do, it's a great service to play a bunch of games relatively cheaply, and cash in on new releases you know you want.

Oh, and mine obviously shipped as well :). They're gonna have to restock!!!

I have SF IV being shipped today from Game Fly. Trick is to have a game returned and nothing else in your game Q other then the new release. This ups your chance of getting the new release.

If only Gamefly actually sent me a game in my top 10 I'd do this. They've screwed me so many times already. It took them over a week to send me a game last time. They gave me a 1 week credit on my account but it was stil pretty lame.

[quote name='mcdaking84']does anyone have a coupon they wouldn't mind me using? would be greatly appreciated[/quote]

Gamefly coupons are tied to each users account so they CAN'T be shared, sorry.

It would be interesting to see a count of how many copies of SF4 initially went out, compared to how many get returned... cause I'll be keeping mine, can't beat the price on what's technically a brand new game, since I'll be the first person using it. :D

[quote name='elsteveo2']You can almost never get a New release or any newer game for that matter. I canceled my subscription because i could never get a game that i wanted.[/quote]

Same here .. ,maybe I just had really bad luck..

i used to do this and had no problems getting new releases. i would completely clear out my queue and make sure i had an open spot. got bioshock, cod4, many other the week of their release.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']If only Gamefly actually sent me a game in my top 10 I'd do this. They've screwed me so many times already. It took them over a week to send me a game last time. They gave me a 1 week credit on my account but it was stil pretty lame.[/QUOTE]

i hear you. i was with gamefly for almost 2 years and service gradually got worse. i'm about 7 hours from my shipping center and games would take a week to and from. sometimes they would just get "lost" in the mail to or from.

it became a hassle and waste of money so i dropped them. thankfully they didn't even think twice about holding me responsible for things, guess they realized they sucked.

Eventually when more and more people start to learn of the clearing of the queue except for the game you want trick, it won't work anymore. That's why we'll all move to Blockbuster Online's game rental service, yay!

PS: You can actually have any amount of unreleased games after the new release in your queue and you'll still get it.

Signed up for the 2 games out plan at noon today since Street Fighter was "available" at the time. 360 version was sent to me at 1pm. Of course, my queue was empty except for it. It works 99/100 times easily if your queue is empty except for the new game you want.

[quote name='United_Korea']what about tax and shipping?[/quote]

Unfortunately they do charge tax, but shipping on the case/manual is free.

How often does one get the manual and case for a game you keep from Gamefly? Does it depend on how old the release is?

I've bought 5 games from gamefly and they always sent me the case/manual in mint condition for the PS3.

Also i found out, if you leave only 1 game in your que, and you have a qame sent back to them in which they receive it on monday/tuesday. Gamefly has always sent me a new release. Like today they sent me a copy of SF4(PS3), to bad i bought the CE this morning at bestbuy before i knew they shipped the game to me. Perhaps one of my friends might want to buy it, if they haven't already bought it today.

[quote name='superdry']How often does one get the manual and case for a game you keep from Gamefly? Does it depend on how old the release is?[/QUOTE]

they always send it to you after you click the "keep it now"
i wish netflix did something like this.

I subbed to gamefly for many years. They got worse and worse when it comes to shipping. I been told by friends that they got better but they manually screen the 30 day trials and always deny me the trial. I refuse to sign back up and pay without a trial to see if they did indeed speed things back up.

[quote name='sundrop']I subbed to gamefly for many years. They got worse and worse when it comes to shipping. I been told by friends that they got better but they manually screen the 30 day trials and always deny me the trial. I refuse to sign back up and pay without a trial to see if they did indeed speed things back up.[/quote]

Do they have a 1-800 number you can call to sign up? If they do give them a call and tell them that you want a trial before you subscribe again, explain your reason why. Dont know if it would work or not, but the worse they can do is tell you no, just remember to be nice to the guy on the phone.

[quote name='TheNeck']I've bought 5 games from gamefly and they always sent me the case/manual in mint condition for the PS3.

Also i found out, if you leave only 1 game in your que, and you have a qame sent back to them in which they receive it on monday/tuesday. Gamefly has always sent me a new release. Like today they sent me a copy of SF4(PS3), to bad i bought the CE this morning at bestbuy before i knew they shipped the game to me. Perhaps one of my friends might want to buy it, if they haven't already bought it today.[/quote]

You and me have the same situation! I have the PS3 CE...but GameFly already shipped it to me today. Of course, the CE is staying in my hands.

[quote name='Arakias']30 day trial
http://www.gamefly.com/netflix8[/quote]

trial does not get you FS. only if you are a paying member.

Also, you can buy the game as soon as it is in the mail (don't have to wait until you receive it) It should have Keep it button on there as soon as it's out.

Of course you run the risk of losing it in the mail (and losing your money) before you even get it.

Also, there is tax on CA purchases. Don't know about other states.

Don't know you guys but it takes my games to reach the shipping centers a day to get there (as long as it is sent in the morning) and a day to get to me.

i.e.
If I sent back Monday morning, they would receive on tuesday and ship my next one immediately, and I would receive on Wednesday. I figure that I am within 2 hours radius of the Los Angeles GF center.

Part of my problem with GameFly is that they don't have the volume of shipping centers that Netflix has. So you could live pretty far from the nearest shipping center and it could take days.

Yeah I did forget to mention free trials don't mean you get free shipping on the manual/case.

bread's done
Back