Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - RE2, CV, and South America - November 17th

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
For those who have been keeping track: Recently, Capcom has been telling RE Wii fans to watch for news that will be coming on March 12th. Well, it looks like Famitsu has broken what the news will be first.

Biohazard: The DarkSide Chronicles is listed under the "Shooting" genre in Famitsu, so it is likely a sequel to the light-gun rail-shooter RE: Umbrella Chronicles. The scan at Wii @ Everyday (below) doesn't give too much info, though, so we may still have to wait until the 12th. My guess? The scan focuses quite a bit on the Raccoon City incident (RE2), which may hint that while the first game focused more on Jill and Chris, this one may be more focused on Leon and Claire's escapades.

http://img187.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=49843_bio_122_690lo.jpg&loc=loc690

EDIT: Three more Famitsu scans have surfaced:
http://img244.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64061_1_122_537lo.jpg
http://img224.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64063_2_122_256lo.jpg
http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=64066_3_122_595lo.jpg

Along with a...
English Debut Trailer

New Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwt5A_NdXA

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']I see Leon and I see Claire.

RE2 wasn't in UC right? Also Code Veronica wasn't IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, Capcom's reps tended to refer more to fans of Code Veronica and RE2 when dropping hints (i.e. "Code Veronica fans will be pleased on the 12th").

I am loving what developers are doing this gen. Main titles on the HD consoles with spin offs in fun ways on the Wii. I am definitely looking forward to this, i have RE5 on the 360 and would have had 0 interest in a watered-down port for the wii. Capcom continues their awesomeness.

Awesome. That's exactly what I expected them to do with a sequel... since they covered 0,1,3,new chapter, the obvious was to go with 2,CV,4,new chapter for this one.

Can't wait! :)

Damn, I was really hoping for a sequel to RE4. I'm getting really tired of rail shooters and I'm not too hopeful for the Dead Space redux on the Wii. We need more games like RE4 for the Wii.

Can you imagine a House of the Dead remake in RE4 style? Why can't Sega do things like that instead of planning the next Sonic anal rape.

I thought UC was a great game in spite of the fact that it was a low budget mediocre effort. I expected my support and the support of the 1.4 million that bought the game to encourage better support not more of the same so I will not be buying this.

Capcom has shown that they are not going to put forth a serious effort on the Wii and I see no reason to give such a company my money. One outsourced, rehashed, low budget mediocre light gun game is enough for me. When I want a light gun game I go to the experts SEGA and they haven't been treating the Wii, and me, like garbage.

in umbrella chronicles, code veronica was in the game as well as resident evil 2.

resident evil 2 appeared either on the first or second act.
one instance was the story of ada, the other was jill entering the police station

code veronica appeared in the final two stages.
when jill and christ are in an artic place and when wesker is on the underground rail road system

if you are referring to a complete run down of the places that took place in resident evil 2 and code veronica, then no, they did not appear. but they did make appearances in umbrella chronicles.

the game shouldn't take long to make. how hard could it be. it's umbrella chronicles with new stuff. so they just take the build of umbrella chronicles, take out the old stuff and put in the new stuff. it can't be that hard. it'll more then likely be released sometime this year along the fall [september, october or november].

it does feel disappointing. resident evil 5 is released, so they know that there is a demand for a resident evil game for the wii. capcom's solution, release a quick shot game to cash in. remember, it's a "guided first person shooter". i shrugged when i found out it'll be rail shooter. this time around, i think i'll wait until it becomes cheaper.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I wonder if Capcom will ever port SF4 and RE5 to the Wii.[/quote]

no!
on street fighter they said that it was possible but will be botched with the hardware that the wii is using. they also said how will they use the wii's motion remote to be used to control the fighters. the controller idea is a lame excuse. monster hunter will be using the classic controller, so i don't see how that can't be applied to street fighter.

resident evil 5 will no way be able to run on wii because of the hardware, maybe it's possible but who knows.

RE5 on the Wii would be a piece of cake. You just take out all the unnecessary graphical bells and whistles and put it on the RE4 engine.

I'd rather them keep forced co-op off the system though.

God damn it I fu@king hate capcom. RE4 for the wii is one of my all time favorite games. Its fu@king dumb that 1. they don't do any more remakes for the wii (RE4 sold crazy well on the wii). 2. They don't make any new RE games on the wii that aren't light gun games. And 3. RE:UC was one of the worst Pieces of sh!ts I've played in a long time. Capcom really doesn't get it. Nearly all of their wii games sell really well so stop putting out so much sh!t already. The wii can do so much more than light gun games; you'd think RE4 would show them that (talk about great game play!). RE4 on the wii for instance is easily the best RE game ever made. It was far better than the GC and PS2 versions too. LAME I SAY BOO you capcom BOO YOU sir!

Another light-gun game, Capcom? Really?

Why not take the RE4 engine and build a new game with that?
Maybe a side-story to RE5, or a re-imagining of RE2 or Code Veronica?
What's so tough about that?
It would sell in droves!
Enough with the light-gun games.
I guess it's more of a cash-grab.

I was expecting the announcement would be another light gun game, but was hoping for a RE4 style game. I'm not too disappointed just sad that Capcom doesn't seem willing to give us a RE4 style game.

Wasn't there a thread on here suggesting that Capcom might port RE0 or something to the Wii?

Maybe it's a $$$ decision by Capcom: a port can't be sold at $50 but a "new" game can.

the Wii is getting the PS2 treatment it seems. I disliked the dead aim and survivor titles. I will also wait for the price to drop on this game when it comes out.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']in umbrella chronicles, code veronica was in the game as well as resident evil 2.

resident evil 2 appeared either on the first or second act.
one instance was the story of ada, the other was jill entering the police station

code veronica appeared in the final two stages.
when jill and christ are in an artic place and when wesker is on the underground rail road system

[/quote]
The first one you mentioned was from Resident Evil 3 and the second one was a new chapter that had not been part of any game prior to Umbrella Chronicles.

I guess 1Up got some info from the Famitsu article:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173206
Capcom announced in this week's issue of Famitsu magazine that a sequel to Wii rail-shooter Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is officially in the works. Called Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, the title (currently under co-development between Capcom and independent Japanese software house Cavia) is set for release exclusively on the Wii, with the requisite Zapper compatibility.

As before, Darkside Chronicles is a first-person gun shooter comprised of missions that revisit famous sequences from previous Resident Evil titles. Capcom's initial announcement confirms that Resident Evil 2 will be one of the titles covered in DC -- you'll control Leon and Claire as they prowl through a zombie-infested Raccoon City and try to find a cure for the G-Virus that has infected young Sherry Birkin. Capcom's also hinting that sequences from RE4 and RE: Code Veronica (the other games that Leon and/or Claire starred in) are a distinct possibility.

"Leon, Claire, and Sherry all make apperances [in DC]," Capcom producer Masachika Kawata explained to Famitsu. "Sherry doesn't exactly come from what you'd call a happy family, and I think that putting the spotlight on plot aspects like that helps to emphasize the darker side of RE's story. As the title reflects, this game will have even more horror to experience than the last one."

While the core gameplay will be unchanged from Umbrella Chronicles, the new game will include tweaks minor and major to help you better immerse yourself in the experience, explained Cavia producer Kentaro Noguchi. "We're trying our best to think outside of the box when it comes to gun shooters here. It really feels like a whole new game we're making. At Cavia, our watchword here is the 'you-are-here' experience -- from the visuals to the sheer amount of dialogue, the sheer amount of data we're adding to the game to create that experience is like no project I've worked on before."

Along those lines, DC will feature a wider variety of visual camerawork, such as what we've seen in Resident Evil 5. Your partner (whether Leon, Claire, or someone else) will be visible onscreen as you fire away at zombies, unless two players are active at once. Also, like RE5, the game will automatically adjust its difficulty depending on the skill you demonstrate.

No release date has been announced for Darkside Chronicles, which is reported as approximately 35 percent complete.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot for a october/november release like they did with Umbrella Chronicles. But with it being only 35% complete I don't know if it'll make this year or not.

I wonder if this game will be narrated by Wesker like the last one was. It would make sense , since not only does this explain (storyline wise) why the different chapters play out so differently than the games that they are based on , but also allows more filling in of backstory regarding umbrella and what happened inbetween the games.

I just really hope that with the sequel coming out / in the works , that Capcom will finally drop the price of the original.

Yes, hopefully this will cause a drop in price of the original. I've been waiting for months for it to hit $20. I want to play it but have enough other games to play now that I don't want to bother getting it until it drops. And I still need to play the remake of RE4, I didn't finish the game for Gamecube until about a month before it came out for Wii so I wanted a break before playing it again.

I'd be all for remakes of the other RE games with more of an RE4 style. New games would be good, too, but I haven't played much of the older RE games.

[quote name='rlse9']Yes, hopefully this will cause a drop in price of the original. I've been waiting for months for it to hit $20. I want to play it but have enough other games to play now that I don't want to bother getting it until it drops. And I still need to play the remake of RE4, I didn't finish the game for Gamecube until about a month before it came out for Wii so I wanted a break before playing it again.

I'd be all for remakes of the other RE games with more of an RE4 style. New games would be good, too, but I haven't played much of the older RE games.[/quote]

http://kotaku.com/5168749/capcom-brings-the-darkside-chronicles-resident-evil-classics-to-the-wii

Well they're remaking RE0 and REmake for the Wii so they will, I hope, have the RE4 style. As for Darkside Chronicles, I'm pretty excited.

[quote name='disillusion386']http://kotaku.com/5168749/capcom-brings-the-darkside-chronicles-resident-evil-classics-to-the-wii

Well they're remaking RE0 and REmake for the Wii so they will, I hope, have the RE4 style. As for Darkside Chronicles, I'm pretty excited.[/quote]

Based off how I read that , it sounds more like they are doing what they did with RE4 for the wii , just through in wiimote controls and call it a day. Capcom had already talked about doing that with RE0 , but seemed hesitant to release it over here.

While it would be nice if the wii releases of RE0 and the REmake are fully changed to take advantage of the wii's controls and other elements , it sounds more like a cheap cash grab by capcom , much like the "New Play Control" series of games from nintendo.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Based off how I read that , it sounds more like they are doing what they did with RE4 for the wii , just through in wiimote controls and call it a day. Capcom had already talked about doing that with RE0 , but seemed hesitant to release it over here.

While it would be nice if the wii releases of RE0 and the REmake are fully changed to take advantage of the wii's controls and other elements , it sounds more like a cheap cash grab by capcom , much like the "New Play Control" series of games from nintendo.[/quote]

Yeah I meant to say porting as opposed to remaking. You're right, they're probably not changing much besides the controls.

3348875479_598c1c0e8e_o.gif

BTW, they are not remaking RE0 and REmake. They are just bringing over the re-releases they put out in Japan. The games have no new content and play exactly like they did on the GC. You'd be better off just buying the GC versions which you can already play on your Wii.

[quote name='disillusion386']http://kotaku.com/5168749/capcom-brings-the-darkside-chronicles-resident-evil-classics-to-the-wii

Well they're remaking RE0 and REmake for the Wii so they will, I hope, have the RE4 style. As for Darkside Chronicles, I'm pretty excited.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't get too excited about RE and RE0, those have been out in Japan for a while (0: July, RE: December), and they actually manage to be a worse deal than the New Play Control series. At least the NPC series actually tries to mix things up a bit by adding some small new things to the games, along with motion and/or pointer controls (16:9 widescreen for all of the games so far I think, Pikmin's new save system and controls for Olimar, Donkey Kong JB's bonuses and new control scheme, Metroid Prime's achievements).

The "RE Classics" line (In Japan at least, I highly doubt they'll change it for the US release) on the other hand, consists of direct ports; nothing added, not even major motion and pointer controls, everything in RE0 is controlled by buttons and the analog stick (Control options: Wiimote+Nunchuk, Horizontal Wiimote, Classic Controller, GameCube Controller). I guess with RE1, they decided to let you shake the Wiimote to switch weapons. For $30 apiece, it's a hard sell compared to the used price point for the GC versions. Honestly, even when I first heard of these ports, I thought that the only way it could be a good deal outside of Japan is if they just packaged both of the games together for $30.

Here's an IGN Australia review for the RE0 port in Japan:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/892/892279p1.html

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173228
"...Capcom is introducing the "Classics" line of Resident Evil games for the Wii this year. These remakes will remap the controls to support the Wii remote, and be priced at $29.99. So far the announced remakes are Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero, but naming it the "Classics" line implies that more remakes are on the way...."

so i do believe cao cao is probably right on this one. 1up stated that it's expected for a winter release, so probably late 2009 or early 2010. but i still believe september, october or november because those are holiday money seasons which means easy money.

in umbrella chronicles, the game led to pre-resident evil 4 and the starting idea for resident evil 4. so where will this game lead to, resident evil 5?

I didn't care too much for UC, but I'll give DC a shot. I just saw RE: Degen movie a couple days ago, so I'm game for more Leon and Claire.

I still have yet to see Degeneration. I've been meaning to, but I just haven't found the time. I'm really excited about DC because RE2 was the game that brought me into the RE universe. That game is still, in my opinion, the best out of the series. Even if it isn't a direct survival horror remake, the story and new design make it a day one buy.

RE0 and REmake ports, on the other hand, not so much. I have both on GC and have no intention of coughing up $30 a pop for Wii versions.

RE0 and RE are NOT remakes. They are the original GC games simply printed on Wii discs so you can play on your Wii. There is no new content. The only difference is that they remapped the controls to work with the wiimote. That's it.

I don't know who started calling these games remakes because they are not.

[quote name='Scrubking']RE0 and RE are NOT remakes. They are the original GC games simply printed on Wii discs so you can play on your Wii. There is no new content. The only difference is that they remapped the controls to work with the wiimote. That's it.

I don't know who started calling these games remakes because they are not.[/quote]

If you read a few posts above yours (it doesn't take that long), I had called them remakes. And then, I left another post after that saying that I meant ports. Stop bitching already, we get your point.

[quote name='disillusion386']If you read a few posts above yours (it doesn't take that long), I had called them remakes. And then, I left another post after that saying that I meant ports. Stop bitching already, we get your point.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't addressing you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358264

Well here's an interesting rumor out of NeoGAF, according to the topic poster, Capcom might be releasing a Wii collection called "Resident Evil: Archives" for $29.99 in June. The poster speculates that it could be the ports of RE0 and REmake put into a double-pack, but I think that, until more info surfaces, there's just as much of a chance that it could be RE4 and UC. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of this.

[quote name='Cao Cao']http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358264

Well here's an interesting rumor out of NeoGAF, according to the topic poster, Capcom might be releasing a Wii collection called "Resident Evil: Archives" for $29.99 in June. The poster speculates that it could be the ports of RE0 and REmake put into a double-pack, but I think that, until more info surfaces, there's just as much of a chance that it could be RE4 and UC. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of this.[/quote]

The good news about this , is that regardless of which games show up in the archives collection , we still win.

If it ends up being RE0 and the REmake , then we get both for $30 instead of each one for $30. If its RE4 and UC , then your getting two excellent games for $30.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']RE4 and UC would be awesome, since RE4 seems to be OOP and hard to find, and UC is still $50 here in Canada.[/quote]

Well , UC is still $50 in places here too , although RE4 is still pretty easily found. Amazon has it for $20. If you really wanted it you might be able to get a fellow cag to pick it up and send it your way.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Well , UC is still $50 in places here too , although RE4 is still pretty easily found. Amazon has it for $20. If you really wanted it you might be able to get a fellow cag to pick it up and send it your way.[/quote]

I actually have RE4 (its trade-in value is still high so I keep bugging my brother to part with it, but there's no cheap way to re-acquire it) and I sort of regret trading in UC a few months ago. :cry:

The latest Gameinformer (w/Assassins Creed II on the cover) has a article on this game, and mentions that you will be replaying scenarios from:

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica

and

a all new storyline with Leon in South America :shock:

REmake and RE0 are $30 each, and it's obvious that the South American Destination is so they can re-use RE4 assets.

Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil Code Veronica for wii will be release later this year :) Possible we'll get 3 Resident evil games for wii this halloween and Resident Evil 5 in 2010 :)

Ha. You know, it pains me that Steve (STEVE!) gets to come back for a game, and poor old Barry still gets the shaft.

Oh, and Steve just looks like a slightly tweaked RE4 Leon model.

... still, day-one purchase for me. Loved Umbrella Chronicles, despite the flaws. Probably have sunk more time into that game than any other for Wii, barring Galaxy. Last I checked, I had hit something like 24 hours of playtime, which floored me.

I nearly forgot that this was coming out next week. The first reviews are trickling in:

IGN:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1045110p1.html

Nintendo Power (Score-only):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379589

I should also point out the new trailers that Capcom released today.
The first is an interactive trailer over at GameTrailers, hence why I'm only posting the link:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/experience-the-resident-evil/57808

There were also a few trailers showcasing the unlockables, like costumes, and in this trailer...

bread's done
Back