Photo
- - - - -

A Boy and his Blob - OUT NOW! - Buy it or you have no soul!

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Just grabbed it, used $10 GC Reward Zone coupon which worked flawlessly. Interesting to see that it supports the Classic Controller, somehow I overlooked this in all the coverage, unless nobody really mentioned it...

the location I went to didn't even have a shelf tag for it and only 5 copies. But Brutal Legend was everywhere...
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#32 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

But Brutal Legend was everywhere...

They are going to release A Boy and his Blob for the 360, but with an M rating and blob decapitation.

Seriously though... I'm anxious to hear your and other's impressions!
Posted Image

#33 botticus

botticus

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

IGN gave it a 7.6. I find their reviews to be a bit more positive than other sites so it's a bit of a concern to me.

From what I skimmed, it was a pretty positive 7.6.

Even with a flight delay today, UPS managed to get it to me on time. Probably won't get to it for a couple days, but looking forward to it.

#34 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

They are going to release A Boy and his Blob for the 360, but with an M rating and blob decapitation.

Seriously though... I'm anxious to hear your and other's impressions!

LOL! Yeah seriously! I just basically meant it was depressing to not see this game get the attention it deserves, I know it will be overshadowed by Brutal Legend and Uncharted, but to see those standees loaded with copies of those games and shelves overflowing, while A Boy and His Blob probably just arrived off the truck...

I'll post back here what I think. It's so interesting to see this come full circle. I remember playing it as a kid, and hopefully in the next couple of years my son will be into this and will Fuck and torture his mind just like the first did to me :lol: however, i'm sure this version won't be as difficult to understand wtf to do..
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#35 Cao Cao

Cao Cao

Spoooooooky

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Some more reviews are out:
GameTrailers 8.5/10

GameInformer 8 & 8.75

Nintendo Power: 8.5
(Excerpt from MetaCritic) "It's a magical adventure full of mesmerizing sights and compelling gameplay, held together by whimsical characters and a simple but surprisingly powerful story. [Nov 2009, p.85]"

#36 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

Mine shipped from Amazon yesterday, so hopefully I'll get a chance to play next week.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#37 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

Well, got into the first 3 levels tonight and this game was amazing! From the chiptune-esque music, to the cut-up frame-by-frame cut-scenes, reminiscent of Pokemon cartoons, this game delivers on all fronts, included a much-needed trip down memory lane.

Starting off, using the classic controller is so much more simple than the wii-mote and nunchuck. All buttons are even duplicated do the relatively easy controls. Fuck that Matt Cassiminessaisaassaa guy from IGN complaining that choosing a jelly bean becomes a chore. What else did he expect? a controller to have 15 buttons dedicated to each type of jelly bean? I was switching back and forth b/t jelly beans with ease. I was a bit worried by the 'set up the arch and throw' mechanic for releasing the jelly bean, and while wildly out of control when you first swing the stick, you can take the time to fine tune it, and shorten your throw distance to pin-point accuracy. The only problem comes in with jumping, as the boy can't jump high on his own, so navigating without the blob at first will take a while, its only one level though.

If I remember correctly, in the original, if the blob went off screen, you were basically Fuck-ed. Well, this happens a lot in this version, the blob simply won't be able to make some jumps after using the trampoline, so three calls and no matter what, he transforms into the berry balloon and comes straight to you. This works very well for the most part. The first few levels are pretty easy to navigate and collect all the treasures. If these do not get super difficult to a point where you can't pass a level (afterall, this doesn't have kind code!), then this game will be a very fun run through. Gaining the treasure's does little but decorate your tree-house with random junk. Each level has 3 chests which are kept track of on the over-world map to indicate how man you've found. Supposedly there are treasures that unlock bonus challenges or something.

Everything about this game is great from the level design, the animation, the lighting effects, and even personality. It reminds me a lot of Braid, with the whimsical elevator music in the background and wonderful artistic design; just the characters are way more interesting to see move fluidly, rather than Braid's stiff actions. Yeah, the load screens are plentiful, but they're 5 seconds at best. This game also doesn't make your Wii hard drive make crazy, non stop noises like when playing the Conduit or HotD:Overkill.

I recommend this game at full price if you were a fan of the original, or even if you've never played it, just to experience a good 'ol 2D romp in a stellar game, and to support the little people for keeping a dream alive and having the guts to do something different and 'new' instead of the same old thing...
Posted Image

#38 EXStrike

EXStrike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

My copy from Amazon shipped yesterday and should get here by Friday.

#39 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Ok, now I know that the problem wasn't the videos from earlier. Looks like every video on the gametrailers site is lagging for me (but of course advertisement videos don't nor do other sites). Time to find out what the problem is. :wall:

#40 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

I always have trouble with gametrailera. Sometimes only sound will play or the video will think it's 4 times as large and only show the corner of the video.

#41 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

From what I skimmed, it was a pretty positive 7.6.

Even with a flight delay today, UPS managed to get it to me on time. Probably won't get to it for a couple days, but looking forward to it.

Most of the complaints were nitpicky like the loading time (I can't imagine it being long enough to be bothersome) and the bean throwing.

The GT review reassured me since I like their reviews the most. I agree with them a lot of the time and they are critical but not damning.

#42 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

I finally had some time to pick up and play this today. The Gametrailers review seems the most spot on based on my experience, and gives it pretty much the exact score I would expect. It has some glaring issues (i.e. lack of d-pad support), but is still an solid platformer.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#43 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:04 AM

This game is unbelievably adorable, and reminds me of Braid in a sad-but-endearing sort of way. Beautiful art, music, animation.

Can't wait to play it some more.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#44 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

I'm thinking of picking this up for my youngest who's turning 7 next month. Is this game going to play well for a kid of that age? He's not an uber gamer by any means. Of course I'd also play it. :)
Posted Image

#45 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'm thinking of picking this up for my youngest who's turning 7 next month. Is this game going to play well for a kid of that age? He's not an uber gamer by any means. Of course I'd also play it. :)

yeah, i don't see why not, my 3-1/2 year old so far has the move left and right down and how to hug the blob :lol: the game is very forgiving, like if you die, you start almost immediately where you were (with the occasional get further in the level or past a difficult platform spot by dying glitch) Like I've said, using the classic controller might make it easier for your kid, and once they get the hang of the bean select wheel, there's little else that could go wrong with it (just know the boys jumping limitation, which isn't that far). And like some review I read (Kotaku maybe) the game is always giving you subtle hints as to what bean you should use in certain areas by posting it on a wooden sign and seems to do this no matter how far along you are.
Posted Image

#46 Law_Professor

Law_Professor

DePaul Basketball Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:46 PM

I'm having a lot of fun wuth this game. I agree that the control scheme is a little strange at first, but once you get the hang of it it becomes pretty natural.

I've only managed to play about 7-8 levels (I'm saving all the extra content until the end). The good thing is that I can sit down and do 2-3 levels in a 15 minute setting and just walk away. In other words, this game is good for small doses at a time. (Although I'm sure I would play for much longer if I had the time).

EDIT: Oh, one thing that irks me is the over-use of save points. I mean, they can be great a times, but what if you miss a platform (and a treasure chest) and then die? The game takes you beyond the original spot and you have no way of getting back (without a trampoline, at least, but that's not always available) to the bleepin' treasure unless you play the whole level over again. Of course, the game is so damn pretty you don't mind playing the same level twice. :)

2049665603_6b12a80682_t.jpg
My doggie Alaska, 10/12/00-08/04/13

#47 Law_Professor

Law_Professor

DePaul Basketball Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:47 PM

Should be great for him. He'll have a blast.

2049665603_6b12a80682_t.jpg
My doggie Alaska, 10/12/00-08/04/13

#48 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

Gamefly is pissing me off. It's taking a week to get to me. I really want to play this.

#49 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:03 AM

I started playing this tonight, and it is fantastic
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#50 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

I finished the first world. I got all the treasure chests so far. The boss "battle" at the end of world one was amazing. I think this may be the best non-Nintendo game on the Wii.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#51 vherub

vherub

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

my copy arrived yesterday, probably won't get around to playing it for a couple weeks, it jumps over a lot of games in the backlog, but not all

#52 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:43 AM

I'm around level 25 now, and I've done 9 challenge levels in addition to that. So great. I imagine I'll have it beaten over the weekend.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#53 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

Beat it. Fantastic game. More people need to be playing this.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#54 botticus

botticus

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

I assume I'm halfway through - at the beginning of the third world. Really great game, I think the boss battles are my favorite part thus far - though the second gave me some frustration because I'm not a fan of trying to navigate in a bubble.

#55 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:34 AM

I showed my fiance the game trailer through the Nintendo Channel, and he asked if the game was a movie? It just seemed like an awful lot of video, which is surprising for a Nintendo title. Quality animation.

#56 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:26 AM

Yeah, the second boss was by far the worst.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#57 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:15 AM

I picked it up today as part of Best Buy's B2G1 sale, but unfortunately I don't think I'm gonna be able to get around to it until next year with my backlog.

#58 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

Beat it. Fantastic game. More people need to be playing this.

How long did it take you?

#59 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:05 AM

There's no in-game timer, but I would guess about 10 hours? I still have to go back and beat the challenge levels too.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#60 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

The Wii has it's own timer now, though. You can see how many hours you've put into it in the Nintendo Channel. There's an option there, but I'm forgetting what it's called.
Posted Image