CAGcast #171: Escape from NY

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 dubbfoolio

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

I have to say I fully agree with Serenitygod about not wanting to listen to your fucking shit on the cagcast. I'd like time stamps so I can skip directly to the end of the show. I have no where else to get industry news so it'd be best if you just read the headlines from kotaku. Could you do so through an autotuner? Your guys' voices make my ears bleed. Maybe fix the volume levels so that you guys are inaudible and pipe in some relatively loud background music. And instead of talking about what games you guys have played could you just look at my gamertag and list the games I've played and speculate as to rather or not I enjoyed them. Really I can't stand anything about you guys... maybe CheapyD could just replace what's currently in the CAGcast portion of the site with a link to 1up yours?

#32 jaystaeb8

jaystaeb8

Too Little Time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

2 things, the rant about $299 vs $299.99 was too much. Every product advertised does this. It is especially pointless when you are talking about a MSRP which many places were far lower. I got my slim from Dell for under $250. It would be fine to mention but the rant was completely pointless.

As far as the value of the PS3 versus the 360, one thing that never gets mentioned that I find a big deal also is the PS3 controllers are rechargeable. You guys even mention how your 360 controllers have rechargeable batteries, that is another expense that you don't have with the PS3.

Now if the PS3 could just get Crackdown 2!

#33 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

I hope Cheapy's Sony bitching was a way to poke fun at Sony fanboys and not too legit.

Cheapy- My house was built in 2005 and I have ethernet in every room. It is a regular house in a regular neighborhood. I am the exception but it does exist.

#34 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

Cheapy, is this what you where looking for?
Posted Image
http://gizmodo.com/3...-by-fucking-it/

#35 H3xum

H3xum

Beeeyyyaahhhhhh!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Dangit, this cagcast convinced me to bite the bullet on batman.

#36 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Dear CheapyD,

Hi, remember the contest you ran two weeks ago? The 50 Cent cuss in the show feedback contest? That you mentioned directly after pointing out my comment as a Sony Fanboy thing? Yeah... about that. That was where my entry, or what you considered legitimate feedback, was coming from. Imagine my suprise, discovering what you had to do in the show feedback was taken seriously. I was neither being critical nor fanboyish, just filthy mouthed and sarcastic. Listening to the show right now and have yet to figure out who won it but just trying to point this out. How you could take ANYTHING seriously in the feedback where you openly invited filthy language is beyond me. If I was really that concerned about your "redmond masters" (seriously, THAT'S the giveaway to sarcasm), I would have stopped listening to your podcast long ago, like I did with Talking About Games Podcast (Jay managed to keep Paris in check, without Jay, it was gonna be harsh).

Of your many quarks (no podcaster is perfect), only two annoy me. The first is the fascination with fecal matter. But I can deal. The other is the point you often make about how, if PSN was as good as XBox Live, you'd gladly pay money for it. This is not a sentiment I and many others share. After all, looking at XBL price, tripling that (assuming Nintendo does the same adjustment), you're spending more than an annual DS Lite purchase in services alone. As for Live itself, I said it before, I'll say it again. Without live, you really are getting half a console with a 360. But oh well.

But all in all, sorry you missed the sarcasm in my post. I thought I was being cheeky and fun and I showed the post to a couple friends making sure it was obvious enough. We were, apparently, wrong. Also, for the record, I do not smell of poo. I do smell of Herbal Essences shampoo though, and Kilo Axe Bodyspray. I figured if I'm trying to clean up any confusion as to the intent of my post, might as well clear up confusion as to my scent as well.

#37 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

What about $300?

$299 sounds cheaper than $300 in advertisements and such, besides the obvious $1 difference.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#38 Luronzo

Luronzo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Itunes downloaded the Podcast but only 44 minutes of the cast was downloaded. Anyone else having this problem?

#39 padlok

padlok

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

I agree with you, CheapyD, over the 299/300 price issue. Sure it's a small amount but it is BS. I hate it when companies advertise a product and then say all this for under 100 dollars...yet the price is 99.99. WTF! Sure you're right but being under by a penny is BULLSHIP!

#40 Nebenator

Nebenator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

I have to say I fully agree with Serenitygod about not wanting to listen to your fucking shit on the cagcast. I'd like time stamps so I can skip directly to the end of the show. I have no where else to get industry news so it'd be best if you just read the headlines from kotaku. Could you do so through an autotuner? Your guys' voices make my ears bleed. Maybe fix the volume levels so that you guys are inaudible and pipe in some relatively loud background music. And instead of talking about what games you guys have played could you just look at my gamertag and list the games I've played and speculate as to rather or not I enjoyed them. Really I can't stand anything about you guys... maybe CheapyD could just replace what's currently in the CAGcast portion of the site with a link to 1up yours?

I enjoy their voices and the shit that they talk about. They are people with opinions and lives, and they choose to include information about their opinions and lifestyles in the podcast.

And about your last line, why don't they shut down the main website except for the forums and price tracker, and just replace it with a link to 1up :applause:

Edited by Nebenator, 08 September 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#41 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

lmao.

#42 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

I'm still stunned that my podcast (Cross Border Gaming) got a mention.

Not 100% sure about that apology, but it's a start. My big thing is that I work with special needs kids, so the r-word is totally not cool. Tropic Thunder was protested and boycotted for its use of "retard". It's not about a double standard. It wasn't ok for Tropic Thunder to use it, and it's not ok for anyone else to use it.

Maybe either (or both) of you guys would like to come on CBG and discuss it.
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#43 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:28 PM

fuckin cheapy d man what the Fuck dont you whine about? who gives a shit if the console is 299 or 299.99 or 300 reality is when you add tax its gonna be over 300 bucks anyway so in the end youre paying more than what they say to fucking nitpick over a dollar is fucking childish and it does go to show you as a microsoft fanboy. you say youre not every time youre accused of being one but its interesting how you go out of your way to find things wrong with sony but gloss over or ignore issues with microsoft or when someone from microsoft contacts you concering what youve said you quickly change your tune because they jiggled your balls a little and made you feel special.

none of these consoles are perfect but to hear you say it the xbox 360 shits gold and pisses diamonds everyday.

as far as district 9 goes its a damn depressing movie with an obvious connection to whats gone on in africa and still does and its got that whole cloverfield thing going for it in parts. the action near the end was cool but considering the kinds of weapons they had why the Fuck didnt they just take over? makes me wonder if they werent what was left of a civilization maybe civillians who left their planet on a ship with stuff they didnt know how to use.

#44 TheEyecon

TheEyecon

Red Sox Pride!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

Finally a new CAGcast! Looking forward to listen it.
Cheapy, I didn't knew you were a baseball fan.
Posted Image

#45 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Holy crap was that .99 cent rant annoying. Great show otherwise, but really what a waste of time that was.

#46 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

I don't actively follow the Cagcast threads, so I didn't know that people complained about your interview with the "Xbox Police Officer". I just wanted to say that, although you don't do interviews very often, when you do it's always unique and very interesting. People like Pachter, the guy who owned the game store, this latest interview.... none of those are people that you would see interviewed anywhere else. I thought that all of your interviews had something interesting to say.

Not 100% sure about that apology, but it's a start. My big thing is that I work with special needs kids, so the r-word is totally not cool. Tropic Thunder was protested and boycotted for its use of "retard". It's not about a double standard. It wasn't ok for Tropic Thunder to use it, and it's not ok for anyone else to use it.

But in Tropic Thunder, it was proper usage... They were actually, in fact, discussing a retarded character.

As for saying things like, "That's retarded," I don't see anything wrong with that. It's no different than saying, "That's dumb," or "That's stupid". Saying that something is retarded is calling something stupid.

#47 hcamacho

hcamacho

Leto II "The Tyrant"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:26 AM

Did Wombat once said in a cagcast that he worked with Howard Stern?Or did I missed something?It seemed that Howard was clueless about wombat...or was it that he worked at the building the show airs?Can wombat clarify that?
Posted Image

#48 Darkpaul

Darkpaul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

God DAMN IT, Wombat! Stop asking every show for free stuff! "Oh, I didn't get anything free, whoa is me!" Suck it up, bitch!

By the way, when you're done with Batman, can I have it?

:)

By the way, Cheapy, I wanted to mention that it shouldn't matter what that author's personal views on a subject are or whether or not he's getting a little or a ton of money from this game. The fact is this: a piece of art is a piece of art no matter WHO made it. You may hate somebody for who they are but love what they can do. Look at Mel Gibson. Is the Road Warrior all of a sudden a shitty movie now simply because Mel Gibson isn't a fan of the Jew?

Not to get too epic about this, but history is full of incredible stories and art DESPITE having been made by some of the world's most talented and renowned assholes. So instead of not buying this great game because of one person, just do what most of us have to do in our normal lives: ignore the BS that's spewing from a hatemonger's mouth.

Edited by Darkpaul, 09 September 2009 - 02:27 AM.

#49 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

Two thing about this podcast bugged me:

1. The $299 vs. $299.99

I thought this was a pretty silly thing to complain about, since it seen in all sort of products, and when you include tax you end up paying more, even though most ads don't mention how much it would cost after taxes.

2. The Shadow Complex/Orson Scott Card controversy

I never knew Orson Scott Card's stance on homosexuality until it was brought up, and even after it was brought up, I fail to see how this should affect my purchasing decisions. I do not let a person's political or religious beliefs influence my opinion on a piece of entertainment, and frankly, if we dig deep enough we'll find all sorts of dirt on a random celebrity. For example, one of my friends would refuse to listen to the band Lyrnyrd Skynyrd because of their use of the Confederate flag, which is something many consider to be offensive. However, if I listen to Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, I wouldn't do it because I may agree with them on an issue, but because I enjoy there music.

Now, tying this to CAG, CheapyD said in various podcasts that he would use marijuana, which is illegal and some listeners would probably not consider doing, but that will not turn them off from listening to the show anymore than non-drug users enjoy listening to the acid-tripping songs from the Beatles, even though they will consider drug use to be irresponsible and wrong.

#50 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

But in Tropic Thunder, it was proper usage... They were actually, in fact, discussing a retarded character.

Using the word "retard" is not "proper usage". It's along the same lines as "f**". It's a slur. "Billy is mentally retarded" is proper use. "Billy is a retard" is not.

As for saying things like, "That's retarded," I don't see anything wrong with that. It's no different than saying, "That's dumb," or "That's stupid". Saying that something is retarded is calling something stupid.

Then just call it stupid. You don't need to go there. We are not in junior high.
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#51 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:57 AM

Dear CheapyD,

Hi, remember the contest you ran two weeks ago? The 50 Cent cuss in the show feedback contest? That you mentioned directly after pointing out my comment as a Sony Fanboy thing? Yeah... about that. That was where my entry, or what you considered legitimate feedback, was coming from. Imagine my suprise, discovering what you had to do in the show feedback was taken seriously. I was neither being critical nor fanboyish, just filthy mouthed and sarcastic. Listening to the show right now and have yet to figure out who won it but just trying to point this out. How you could take ANYTHING seriously in the feedback where you openly invited filthy language is beyond me. If I was really that concerned about your "redmond masters" (seriously, THAT'S the giveaway to sarcasm), I would have stopped listening to your podcast long ago, like I did with Talking About Games Podcast (Jay managed to keep Paris in check, without Jay, it was gonna be harsh).

Of your many quarks (no podcaster is perfect), only two annoy me. The first is the fascination with fecal matter. But I can deal. The other is the point you often make about how, if PSN was as good as XBox Live, you'd gladly pay money for it. This is not a sentiment I and many others share. After all, looking at XBL price, tripling that (assuming Nintendo does the same adjustment), you're spending more than an annual DS Lite purchase in services alone. As for Live itself, I said it before, I'll say it again. Without live, you really are getting half a console with a 360. But oh well.

But all in all, sorry you missed the sarcasm in my post. I thought I was being cheeky and fun and I showed the post to a couple friends making sure it was obvious enough. We were, apparently, wrong. Also, for the record, I do not smell of poo. I do smell of Herbal Essences shampoo though, and Kilo Axe Bodyspray. I figured if I'm trying to clean up any confusion as to the intent of my post, might as well clear up confusion as to my scent as well.

Sorry about that. I've gotten comments like that before that were completely serious, which is why I was unable to detect the sarcasm. Let's hug and make up.:grouphug:

#52 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:07 AM

Sorry about that. I've gotten comments like that before that were completely serious, which is why I was unable to detect the sarcasm. Let's hug and make up.:grouphug:

:grouphug:
Fair enough. I don't know what saddens me more. The fact that I hurt the feelings of a podcast that's been a regular since I started at my job four years ago, or the fact that people actually act like the extreme I thought I was mocking. Once again, I apologize for the mistake.

#53 Darkpaul

Darkpaul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:26 AM

Hey, Cheapy, remember the "box story" you've been holding out on us since whichever podcast you talked about it? WELL TELL THE DAMN BOX STORY ALREADY. I'm sure it's WORTH the wait and all, but dammit you got it in my head and no matter how lame it is, I wanna hear it now.

#54 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

:grouphug:
Fair enough. I don't know what saddens me more. The fact that I hurt the feelings of a podcast that's been a regular since I started at my job four years ago, or the fact that people actually act like the extreme I thought I was mocking. Once again, I apologize for the mistake.

No worries...I like comments like that. Gets me fired up.

#55 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

listened to this during a break between classes. also the first time I used itunes (the computer was a Mac and default program).

my random feedback:

how long was the vacation? sounds like 2 weeks. Did you stay at the parents' or some Manhattan hotel?

I thought Wombat was going to get the Batman game on ps3 because of the Joker exclusive (no interest in playing the game but just wondering).

I started :lol:ing when Wombat mentioned that 12 year old he and cheapy saw at Dogmatic (btw how much did the sandwiches cost as did the pizza you ate). wtf is a kid doing going out in the city all by himself

Cheapy, I can't believe you were saying how (excellent) ticket prices for MLB games are only for the rich or corporate business types. You just spent around $10,000 for 2 tickets to sit in on on a radio show.
One gets to watch a game from excellent seats (about 3 hours) plus (assuming free) food (based on the description of the tickets and its price). So $450 per ticket for a luxury seating at a baseball game (or other sporting event) is just as good (or much better) than what you did with your money.

Also Cheapy, did your parents listen to the Howard Stern clips? Based on what you've brought up in the past, I don't think your dad would have been happy when you mentioned you earned more than your lawyer wife (did she hear that you "unfortunately got married").

I just want to add that I completely agree with your take on the 299 advertising (didn't want to seem like I was attacking you). retailers should be using the $100 less part in their ads. the extremely cheap and critical won't be thrilled with the 99 cents difference they see ring up (sans tax).

lastly, can't believe Cheapy saw an old friend and a random Cag at the Met game. I've yet to have a Wombat sighting (what part of the city do you work?)

#56 spineynorman

spineynorman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:00 AM

Awesome show. I found the whole Stern story really interesting. You guys sounded great on there. Cheapy - you didn't sound nervous at all. You came off great. I amazed that you weren't a total wreck on the air since I'm sure it was overwhelming. The "Hey guys" bit was hilarious, but there was nothing like that when you were actually on the air. I'm very impressed because I'm sure I would have been a complete idiot in that situation.

The discussion about the newfound value of the PS3 was also very interesting. I hadn't really thought about that, but with blu-ray, free wi-fi, free online play, and most games being cross platform, I'd probably pick the PS3 over the 360 if I were buying my first console of this generation today.

#57 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

Two thing about this podcast bugged me:

2. The Shadow Complex/Orson Scott Card controversy

I never knew Orson Scott Card's stance on homosexuality until it was brought up, and even after it was brought up, I fail to see how this should affect my purchasing decisions. I do not let a person's political or religious beliefs influence my opinion on a piece of entertainment, and frankly, if we dig deep enough we'll find all sorts of dirt on a random celebrity. For example, one of my friends would refuse to listen to the band Lyrnyrd Skynyrd because of their use of the Confederate flag, which is something many consider to be offensive. However, if I listen to Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, I wouldn't do it because I may agree with them on an issue, but because I enjoy there music.

Some people DO care about stuff like that, though. Just because you don't think about who you support monetarily doesn't mean other people share that stance. And hey, they're both fine philosophies.

Using the word "retard" is not "proper usage". It's along the same lines as "f**". It's a slur. "Billy is mentally retarded" is proper use. "Billy is a retard" is not.

Then just call it stupid. You don't need to go there. We are not in junior high.

I think you're just looking for something to rally behind.

#58 ShinAkumA21

ShinAkumA21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

i agree with your wife CheapyD Fuck citi field and the Mets...... Yankees Stadium is where its at.

are you guys getting The Beatles Rock Band today?... i know i am :bouncy:

#59 io

io

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

Wombat, you bastard, stop calling Cheapy old! You're making me feel ancient ;).

And guys, enjoy those special birthday/anniversary meals and whatnot before you have any more kids. I think we just had our 15th or 16th anniversary, not sure - spent it playing with kids...

Continuing on later in the CAGcast:

Cheapy - I bought second PS3 (a Slim of course). Here are the reasons:

1) I had a $75 off system coupon at Amazon from the trade-in program that was going to expire at the end of August. The Slim came out just in time. I thought about getting another DS for the household but I haven't even opened the DSi I got when it first came out. I have a DS Lite, my daughter has a DS Lite, and my boys share an original DS. A fifth one would be a bit too much. I considered a new PSP but I rarely ever play my launch PSP either (last game I played was Loco Roco 2 and before that I don't think I had turned it on in a year - not that I don't have a huge collection of games for it thanks to CAG! ;)). And of course I already have a 360 and a Wii. In the end, I just couldn't pass on the Slim for $225 despite already having a PS3!

2) OK, but why a second PS3? Well, we set our first one up in the upstairs room with the new TV (one capable of 720p and 1080p unlike our old downstairs 1080i set that pretty much isn't supported by many PS3 games). The second PS3 will be nice for watching Blu-Rays downstairs of course (and we do hope to replace that TV soon). But the bigger reason is for multiplayer. This is something people overlook when comparing the 360 vs PS3 online capabilites: multigamer households. I have 3 kids that like to play games. Even though I get my Xbox Live time cheap like most people on CAG, I still am not going to waste Xbox Live Gold on all three kids for the once or twice a month they would play online. With the PS3, however, I don't need to worry about that! Not only that, but it is easy to jump between one console and the other in the household since you can just log in to any system with your account (because, of course, since the online is free they don't need to tie you down like MS does). Yeah, sure, I know you can move your profile around on a memory card on the 360 but that would be a pain with 4 profiles (me + 3 kids) to manage. I have yet to set up the new PS3 but I'm looking forward to playing Fat Princess with them. And that brings me to:

3) Oh yeah, yet another plus: multiplayer downloadable games will be cheap for us to play (unlike on the 360) since I can simply gameshare the game to the other system! So for a multiplayer household there is the advantage of free online + free second copies of downloadable games.

4) It's new and shiny ;).

Edited by io, 09 September 2009 - 11:42 AM.

#60 Kosh

Kosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

That sounds like a great podcast about video games, discussing the use of the word retard on another podcast. :roll:

This great crusade to get the word retard out of everyday use is a failure. r-word.org has a whole 48,000 pledges, there's a little over 300 million people in the US alone.

I think a lot of people like the Cagcast because Cheapy and Wombat say what they want. They're open, honest on their views, and the dialogue between the two of them sounds like it's just two friends shooting the shit. I hope the show stays that way and all you politically correct folks just hit the unsubscribe button.

3DS - 3196-4135-7383

WiiU - KoshOne