Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Megazell's Free And Legal PC Games List!

• Please log in to reply
3200 replies to this topic

#121 LegioXIX

LegioXIX

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, thanks for this list. So many games, so little time....
Posted Image

Posted Image
"Sweet is war to him who knows it not, but to those who have made a trial of it, it is a thing of fear." -Pindar, Fr.

#122 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thanks MegaZ, you've created an invaluable resource for the CAG community.

I'm wondering if you have any entries in your library for younger kids, say 5-10 years, and maybe any educational ones ?

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#123 burritoman

burritoman

Bounty Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:51 AM

Any of you guys playing Quake Live? PM me!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#124 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:05 AM

Thanks again for the list. Now where to start....

Ty. I hear you. Time is the choke point factor.

Happily holidays Mega. Thanks for the "mega" bad ass thread.

Ty. Enjoy.

Yeah, thanks for this list. So many games, so little time....

Ty. I know, man! I know...

Thanks MegaZ, you've created an invaluable resource for the CAG community.

I'm wondering if you have any entries in your library for younger kids, say 5-10 years, and maybe any educational ones ?

Ty. Actually, I have a very extended list for children as I have 2 young ones myself.

For reading we go to www.starfall.com

For fun - My kids love to play www.CartoonNetwork.com games especially Fusion Fall.

If you could tell me what type of educational aspect you wish to target, I could provide a better link. My DB for child sites and games is over 2000+ strong.

Any of you guys playing Quake Live? PM me!

I am Megazell in all things online.

My gaming times

Wednesday - 10:30 PM EST to 12:30 AM EST
Sunday - 10:30 PM EST to 12:30 AM EST

Due, to holidays - I will be mostly off line with some LAN gaming thrown in as family from all over are here and nothing beats face to face competitions. Once holidays are over (Jan 3rd or so) I will be back on that gaming schedule.

At this time I have over 176+ brand new games to post (outside of those on my list I feel I should post) and I will be posting those when holiday time is over. Most of them will not be tested as I will be pretty much solo with them since my volunteer time is also reduced in the winter and during my own kids' test season.

As for Quake Live - I have a steady 5 people I play with on a regular basis that consist of family and friends. You are more then welcome to join us. I suggest you use XFIRE to stay in contact with fellow CAG players. It's free and will save you a lot of time. So far everyone I have played with from this site has been awesome.

Be smooth, people!

#125 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

Well holidays are officially over in my part of the world. Family have returned to their states of origin.

Let the posting begin! *Ques in Mortal Kombat theme song*

#126 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Post Update

Dead Frontier Goes 3D!

Link to DF going 3D

--> Click Here! <--
For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'

Edited by Megazell, 12 November 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#127 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Posting Update

I updated the first post of this thread to include a consise method by which I will be posting.

I have received a lot of great recommendations from members of this forum and others on Free and Legal PC Games.

However, a great many of them I won't be posting for the reason stated on page 1 of this thread.

Don't take it personally. I just want to make sure that when people click a link to enjoy a game...it's as pain free as possible.

Please, do continue to make suggestion though as this thread lives off of user input :)

Thanks,
Megazell

--> Click Here! <--
For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'

Edited by Megazell, 12 November 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#128 rumarudrathas

rumarudrathas

Oderint Dum Metuant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

Ugh... BattleForge...

I played this game a week or two after it was announced that the main game will be a free 2 play thing. 'Cool', I thought, 'a M:TG type game wrapped in a RTS'. Unfortunately, this game didn't really have that staying power that Magic Online had on my when I had this thing called a "disposable income".

EA releasing this game a free download is cool and all, and yes, the first few levels I played was a blast, but the free version is so incredibly gimped on the onset that the free-ness quickly lost appeal to me. When start considering paying for the the paid key and various booster card, just to supplement my starting army at the 2nd day, virtue of that fact that the demo cards as so underpowered... I know the marketing foo that EA was tossing around, and this cheap Filipino isn't buying it.
Main Gaming PC: Acer Aspire m5630; C2D E4400 2.2ghz, 3gb ram, ATI HD 4850, 500gb.
Laptop: HP Compaq 6910p; C2D T7400 2.4gh, 2gb ram, Intel x3100,
120gb,
Consoles: PS3 4usb 60gb BC, Xbox 360 120gb Elite, Nintendo Wii
Handheld: PSP 3000, DS Lite, DSi.

#129 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

Ugh... BattleForge...

I played this game a week or two after it was announced that the main game will be a free 2 play thing. 'Cool', I thought, 'a M:TG type game wrapped in a RTS'. Unfortunately, this game didn't really have that staying power that Magic Online had on my when I had this thing called a "disposable income".

EA releasing this game a free download is cool and all, and yes, the first few levels I played was a blast, but the free version is so incredibly gimped on the onset that the free-ness quickly lost appeal to me. When start considering paying for the the paid key and various booster card, just to supplement my starting army at the 2nd day, virtue of that fact that the demo cards as so underpowered... I know the marketing foo that EA was tossing around, and this cheap Filipino isn't buying it.

I never played Magic: The Gathering online. How is it exactly? I know you have to pay for your boosters and such but is it just a lobby and you pick a fight? Any $ prize support?

I use to play that often in table top format...when the expansion came out too often - I left it.

Outside of videos games I am an avid table top gaming. My kids and I often spend time painting and remodeling figures (Heroclix) and making city reconstructions. That game is no longer supported but NYC has a lot of places where tournaments flourish. I also play Zombies!!! (more of board game - But it also has tourny support), Risk, DnD Mini and Chess (12 Tier tournaments).

Edited by Megazell, 04 June 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#130 Unicorntard

Unicorntard

Cheapass PC gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Ah, Ocular Ink... I remember playing this game years ago. I got stuck on a certain level and stopped playing it completely because of that. I might have to give it another go... it was a good game.

#131 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ocular Ink is a good game lots of fun

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#132 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Hey Megazell, just built my younger brother (age 9) a half decent computer and he could use some good games. Anything on this list that you think would be good for a kid his age? He's not a big competitive guy so multiplayer only probably isn't great.

#133 rumarudrathas

rumarudrathas

Oderint Dum Metuant

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

I never played Magic: The Gathering online. How is it exactly? I know you have to pay for your boosters and such but is it just a lobby and you pick a fight? Any $ prize support?

I use to play that often in table top format...when the expansion came out too often - I left it.

Outside of videos games I am an avid table top gaming. My kids and I often spend time painting and remodeling figures (Heroclix) and making city reconstructions. That game is no longer supported but NYC has a lot of places where tournaments flourish. I also play Zombies III (more of board game - But it also has tourny support), Risk, DnD Mini and Chess (12 Tier tournaments).

I have this thing for Tabletop gaming, especially for a lot of the "lesser-known" and off-the-wall stuff nowadays (usually cheaper).

Magic Online was indeed fun, and yes, it does cost a pretty penny to "compete" in that game. Funny that you mentioned prize packages, since it was in an online tourney were I decided to leave the game for good, around the Mirrodin cycle. Anyways, yes, there is some awesome prizes for weekly tourneys, but if I remember correctly, they're usually avatars, booster sets, or "tickets", which is the cash-equivalent currency in-game (1 ticket =$1, i think).

As for gaming night to night, you had seperate game rooms/lobbies, which support different card rules (T2 format, Extended, Casual, Highlander, etc), along with the weekly Draft and Constructed tourneys. For that time I played it, the game had a fairly robust trade system, where a young idiotic person like my previous self could easily sink half a teenager's paycheck on virtual cardboard cards. It's a great game to play once in a while, but just like the real world version, it is a money sink.

Nowadays, I tend to pick of games of Fluxx and Apples to Apples. I don't think either could lend themselves to tourney support that easily, but it's fun to play with a bunch of college buddies, or with the future in-laws.
Main Gaming PC: Acer Aspire m5630; C2D E4400 2.2ghz, 3gb ram, ATI HD 4850, 500gb.
Laptop: HP Compaq 6910p; C2D T7400 2.4gh, 2gb ram, Intel x3100,
120gb,
Consoles: PS3 4usb 60gb BC, Xbox 360 120gb Elite, Nintendo Wii
Handheld: PSP 3000, DS Lite, DSi.

#134 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hey Megazell, just built my younger brother (age 9) a half decent computer and he could use some good games. Anything on this list that you think would be good for a kid his age? He's not a big competitive guy so multiplayer only probably isn't great.

Puzzle Pirates
Marathon
Bootfighter Windom XP SP-2
XSynergy Gate
Galactic Guardian
Frets on Fire
Nexuiz - He can play it offline against bots
Warning Forever
AVALANCHE
Robocop vs Terminator 2D 2
Robocop 2D 3
Mortal Kombat: Project 4.1 - Not sure how you feel about the violence
Dot Fighters
Capcom vs SNK - Chaos
Street Fighter Online - He can play the offline verison
DragonBall Vs. Street Fighter
AGwaK2: Darkside Adventures
Robocop 2D
Star Wars
8bit Killer
Varia
rRootage
Pteroglider
Battleships Forever
TAGAP
Project Powder
Silver Wings
Dink Smallwood
Storm Assault
Karnn Age
Treasure Hunter Man
MLB Dugout Heroes
Legend of Princess
Megabot
Eternal Daughter
X-Men: Children Of The Atom
Goldeneye 2D
Ara Fell 2k3
Narbacular Drop
Synaesthete
Laxius Power
Laxius Power II
Laxius Power III
Alien Breed Obliteration
Manga Fighter
Galaxian 2007
Battle Tanks
Alien Abduction
Mario Paint Composer
Elona: Eternal League of Nefia
Hurrican
Prometheus
Kart N’ Crazy
Lost Ship
Aerial Fire
Castlevania Quest
Dracula's Shadow
Return of Egypt
Last Scenario
Carpe Universum
Exit Fate
Furry 2
Iwanaga
Mini Fighter
10800 Zombies
Afterburner 3D
Arc Aether Anomalies
Tumiki Fighters <- My kids and I are addicted to this one.
Toblo
Satan Sam
Armageddon Days 2
Atomic Worm
Wormux
Wings of Fury
Chalk
Dany's Virtual Drum 2
Mightier <- My kid is in love with this game.
Notrium
Ocular Ink

Over 70+ games for your brother. My kids are around that age so this is what they play. Some of these games do go online so be vigilant or don't install them at all. There are many single player games on that list.

#135 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have this thing for Tabletop gaming, especially for a lot of the "lesser-known" and off-the-wall stuff nowadays (usually cheaper).

Magic Online was indeed fun, and yes, it does cost a pretty penny to "compete" in that game. Funny that you mentioned prize packages, since it was in an online tourney were I decided to leave the game for good, around the Mirrodin cycle. Anyways, yes, there is some awesome prizes for weekly tourneys, but if I remember correctly, they're usually avatars, booster sets, or "tickets", which is the cash-equivalent currency in-game (1 ticket =$1, i think).

As for gaming night to night, you had seperate game rooms/lobbies, which support different card rules (T2 format, Extended, Casual, Highlander, etc), along with the weekly Draft and Constructed tourneys. For that time I played it, the game had a fairly robust trade system, where a young idiotic person like my previous self could easily sink half a teenager's paycheck on virtual cardboard cards. It's a great game to play once in a while, but just like the real world version, it is a money sink.

Nowadays, I tend to pick of games of Fluxx and Apples to Apples. I don't think either could lend themselves to tourney support that easily, but it's fun to play with a bunch of college buddies, or with the future in-laws.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I grew up on DnD, Magic and games of that nature (anyone remember Torg?). My friends and family were STRONG into Magic even after I left it. In the end, around college time for me, we settled on board games like 'Hero's Quest!', Heroclix (we only bought what we liked and never allowed dupes), Yahtzee, Poker, Chess and Zombies!!! Many of them have trunks and trunks of cards from Magic.

I was of the mind that if the habit did not pay for itself, I could not have it. So I left right after the prices of cards were dropping fast and the expansions and banned list were getting crazy (Weatherlight, I think). Lots of great memories and fun times though.

In fact, years later when I was in college, I landed my first high paying IT job over Magic. During the interview, I noticed a black and red deck still in the package on my interviewers desk (later my boss). So during the conversation, I asked him if he played. Turned out he didn't but that his son did and he bought those for him. He then went on to criticize the game and wanted his son to get into sports and stuff...you know manly stuff. So, I then asked him if he knew how to play and did he know the origins of the game...I then tied it to military strategies, art of war and tactics. He opened the pack and ask me to show him. We played a round...after awhile he was like "Damn, this is pretty good...I never knew it was about military...always thought it was like an expensive form of I-declare-war with art." Anyway, I landed the job and it was one of my longest running jobs. I think him and his son got closer because when I would tell them about tournies and stuff his son would show up at the job and I saw them from time to time at different gaming spots. Not sure if he ever won though.

#136 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thanks a lot!

#137 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

Megazell now that my ps3 crapped itself, I might have to install some of these freebies on my aging pc.

Could you give me a list of your top 10?

CAG TradeList

#138 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Megazell now that my ps3 crapped itself, I might have to install some of these freebies on my aging pc.

Could you give me a list of your top 10?

That's hard to do without knowing your taste and system specs. With that said, no matter how old your machine is, unlike consoles, you can make it awesome with a little mental elbow grease ;)

1) Nexuiz - Great Old School FPS gameplay with modern graphics.
2) SNK vs Capcom - Great fighting game. Great character selection.
3) Project Powder - Great snowboarding game.
4) Rise and Fall: Civilizations At War - Great RTS.
5) Hurrican - Old school side scroller shooter with modern graphics.
6) Facewound - Same as above with Zombies! and in 3D.
7) I'm OK - FUNNY Side Scroller Shooter!
8) Alliance Of Valiant Arms - Great military squad online FPS.
9) Shotgun Debugger - Top Down Action.
10) Mightier - Unique gameplay with lots of fun.

#139 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

Looks, um. IWBTG-ish.

Speaking of which, I'm on The Guy right now. He is fucking hard.

Posted Image

#140 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

Looks, um. IWBTG-ish.

Speaking of which, I'm on The Guy right now. He is fucking hard.

You are not lying. That game got me looking around for a console controller to swing around and smash like when I was a kid! :bomb:

#141 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

I would say fps, racing games, and adventure/2d games

RTS and RPG's men it all depends

Flight simulator's, turn based RTS, and civ building games are my least favorite

CAG TradeList

#142 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

I would say fps, racing games, and adventure/2d games

RTS and RPG's men it all depends

Flight simulator's, turn based RTS, and civ building games are my least favorite

The list I post was solid then but I would take my time and go through the list. Also if you subscribe to the post and select instant email notification you will receive emails of each post and you can then look at the games as I post.

Racing - Upshift Striker Racer, Drift City and Trackmania are a must.

RTS - I would add Glest. RPGs...well I have decided not to play anymore RPGs as of late as they take up too much time but each one that I did post came from great sources (friends and family that like them) and they are usually not off.

Edited by Megazell, 02 May 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#143 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:00 AM

Opera Slinger

Spoiler

#144 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Spoiler

Just trying to be as objective as I can with the games I post :)

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#145 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Goodness. Finally had the time to go through all 18 pages. AWESOME thread. I can't believe The Suffering is free now. One of my favorite games of all time. If you enjoy psychotic gory goodness you can't go wrong. I wish part two would go free because my boxed copy has Starforce.

#146 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Goodness. Finally had the time to go through all 18 pages. AWESOME thread. I can't believe The Suffering is free now. One of my favorite games of all time. If you enjoy psychotic gory goodness you can't go wrong. I wish part two would go free because my boxed copy has Starforce.

Glad you enjoyed. The Suffering is one of the games I can not install at the center. Not because of the hardware issue but because of the content. I did not finish the game at all but it is much liked.

One of the ladies of the house loves that game.

It's free or Fuck it!

#147 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

This thread is insane. Megazell, you are my hero.

I've been reading this thread for the past 2 hours. I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to play all of these. :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#148 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

[CENTER][COLOR=White]Ultimate Bruce Lee

Holy crap! I played the original on an Apple IIe. Damn I feel old.

#149 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

This thread is insane. Megazell, you are my hero.

I've been reading this thread for the past 2 hours. I have no idea where I'm going to find the time to play all of these. :D

Hope you find something you like. No rule saying you have to play them all :)

Holy crap! I played the original on an Apple IIe. Damn I feel old.

I don't mind that old feeling. In fact, I embrace it. I play old school games with my kids all the time - Double Dragon, X-Men (Arcade Verizon), TMNT (Arcade Verizon), Contra and other old school games. It's nice to have them share an experience that you had when you were their age. Plus, it always cool to hear them share their stories with other kids.

It's free or Fuck it!

#150 yeah-yeah

yeah-yeah

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:22 AM

I don't mind that old feeling. In fact, I embrace it. I play old school games with my kids all the time - Double Dragon, X-Men (Arcade Verizon), TMNT (Arcade Verizon), Contra and other old school games. It's nice to have them share an experience that you had when you were their age. Plus, it always cool to hear them share their stories with other kids.

Ha! Contra! That's 8 bit era. If that's old school, then the original Bruce Lee game is Prehistoric.