Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Megazell's Free And Legal PC Games List!

• Please log in to reply
3493 replies to this topic

#121 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

Storm Assault

Shooter/Horizontal
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Science Fiction

Storm Assault is a nice shoot'em up, similar to classics like Gradius or Project-X. Use Z to shoot and X to upgrade your weapon.

Megazell's Comment - As with every game you ever play - Purchased or Free - read the read me. You must configure the options first to get the full effect of this game also you can put it in English that way too :)

System Requirements

CPU: 500 Mhz
Memory: 32 Mb
Video: 32 Mb
Hard Drive: 30 Mb

Download it here - http://www7a.biglobe..._assault/dl.htm

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--
For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#122 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

Karnn Age

Shooter/Arena
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly
Gamepad Support

Karnn Age is an intense top down survival shooter available on XBox Live Indie Games and PC. It features 9 levels, 4 difficulty levels, 3 epic boss fights, automatic save of your best replays per level / difficulty, replays of every level on Hard difficulty to teach advanced survival tricks, and nine incredibly entertaining old school songs (3 on PC or Lite version on XBOX).

In order to make the game accessible to more people, the developers released a free version of Karnn Age Lite for PC! It is exactly the same has the XBOX Version, except that it also supports mouse/keyboard for input!

System Requirements

CPU: 800 Mhz
Memory: 128 Mb
Hard Drive: 60 Mb

Download it here - http://www.g4g.it/do...t.php?dlid=2992

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 03 March 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#123 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Oh man, keep them coming. But don't get fired from work!

#124 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Oh man, keep them coming. But don't get fired from work!

NP and thanks for the concern. I should be fine though since my boss and I share the same body ;)

#125 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

Treasure Hunter Man

Action/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Fantasy

Oh!! Treasure. It is like Indiana Jones (except not 4) or something, but way more silly. Are you man enough to find all the shiny stuff?

Megazell Comment - This is a very very very well made metrovania game. It's not too long and not too short. The only con against it is some of the puzzle like elements of the game are quite out there and hard to figure since they have very little logic behind it but I had a ton of fun playing this game and getting both endings.

System Requirements

CPU: 200 Mhz
Video: 2 Mb

Download it here - http://www.origamihero.com/thm.zip

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 03 March 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#126 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ultimate Flirt Off

Simulation/Management
Single Player - Yes
Mulitplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Other

Remember what it was like being young and awkward in college? There you are, standing with a drink in hand as you scour the crowd for a likable face. You find one and address them in conversation, hoping perhaps to net some form of affection from the other party. You stammer helplessly, fumbling for words and alcohol. You talk for a while. Then, at some point, you go for a kiss only to have them flee a moment later.

If you needed a recap on what that was like, you should probably check out Radstrononimical's Ultimate Flirt-Off. Unlike most games that revolve around human mating habits, Ultimate Flirt-Off is focused on the ungainliness of the process. Essentially a quick-time response game, Ultimate Flirt-Off will have you choosing a gender for yourself and the object of your desire before dropping you into the middle of a conversation. There, you will have to select words in order to construct coherent sentences. Much like in real life, a drink of your beer will allow you to stall for time. It will also cause you to slur even more. Realistic, eh?

Overall, Ultimate Flirt-Off is a simple yet interesting experience that will likely have you cringing in remembrance and snickering occasionally to yourself. - Indiegames.com

System Requirements

OS: Windows XP or higher, Mac and Linux versions available
CPU: 900 Mhz

No Heavy Download Needed - Browser Based - http://radstronomica...tOffPublic.html

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 14 May 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#127 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

Hyper Princess Pitch

Shooter/Arena
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

The good Mecha Santa plans to spread happiness and cheer all over the world. Princess Pitch, previously just a sidekick in Garden Gnome Carnage, sets out to put an end to those silly plans.

Hyper Princess Pitch is a remake of DOS Operation: Carnage, keeping the fast-paced arcade action, short completion time, high replay value and cheesy characters. Whether you tire of games with moral choices, or you've ever wanted to be made of equal halves explosions and piledrivers, this is the game for you.

System Requirements

CPU: 900 Mhz
Hard Drive: 27.9 Mb

Download it here - http://remar.se/daniel/pitch.php

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 28 March 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#128 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:54 PM

Yo, gamemaster MZ so how do you go about finding your free games? Also if you have any more "horror", "squad-based', or "superhero" recommendations that'd be totally badical.

#129 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

Yo, gamemaster MZ so how do you go about finding your free games? Also if you have any more "horror", "squad-based', or "superhero" recommendations that'd be totally badical.

I have a strong hate in my heart to spend money on things that are considered a "WANT." So some of that helps.

Being honest...I use Google.

#130 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

Tremulous

First Person Shooter/Third Person Shooter/Real Time Strategy
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Horror

Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more...

Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the "Armoury". The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.

The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.

Megazell's Comment - Great Game. If you are a fan of Half-Life and Half-Life mods - This game is inspired by the mod "Natural Selection" for Half-life. This is a fun game with so many different ways to win that pros and noobs alike have a fair shot of winning every match.

System Requirements

OS: Windows 98 or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
CPU: 700 Mhz
Memory: 256 Mb
Video: 32 MB
Hard Drive: 125 Mb

Download it here - http://tremulous.net/
or
Download it here - http://www.desura.com/games/tremulous <- Requires Desura Client

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 13 February 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#131 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Third Person Shooter
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Gamepad Support - Yes

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy is a video game developed by Midway Games for the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and Microsoft Windows PC platforms. It was also being developed for the Nintendo GameCube titled ESPionage but later cancelled. The game was released in North America on June 14, 2004; the European release followed on October 1, 2004. On June 9, 2008, the full version was offered as a free download hosted by fileplanet with in-game advertising, but also allowing to purchase the game in order to remove the advertising. At the time a FilePlanet subscription (also free) was required to receive the game. Now the game can found on many different hosting sites.

A traditional shooter in many respects, Psi-Ops banks on its ragdoll physicsHavok 2.0) and variety of psychic powers to differentiate itself. In Japan and Southeast Asia/East Asia, the game was marketed by CapcomPsi-Ops: Psychic Operation.

In the game, the player is Nick Scryer, a "PSI-Operative" whose mind has been wiped to allow him to infiltrate a terrorist organization. However, he is captured and must fight his way out with the help of Sara, a double agent. As he progresses, he regains his PSI powers.

It is often compared with the video game Second Sight from Free Radical Design.

System Requirements

CPU: 1.0 Ghz
Hard Drive: 2 Gb

Download it here - http://www.ausgamers...ails/html/36534
or
Download it here - http://www.fileplay....iracy-free-game

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 18 November 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#132 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:53 AM

Legend of Princess

Action
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Gamepad Support - Yes

Ah, yes, my one fangame! This whole idea came from joining the desire to make a Zelda-game and wanting to try out making an action game that has its levels change slightly depending on your equipment.

It was a simple idea and it was really fun to make this using satirical renderings of famous characters, but since it's a fangame I couldn't make a whole game out of it. It feels that time is better spent on original creations!

Have fun! Beware, though, it doesn't really play like a Zelda-game so there's always the chance that you may not enjoy it as much. This is in no way how I'd actually want a true Zelda game to be either, it was just for fun. - Creator

Megazell's Comment - A very short game that needs to be made into a full experience!

System Resources

CPU: 300 Mhz
Hard Drive: 50 Mb

Download it here - http://www.konjak.or...older=4&file=11

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 03 March 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#133 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

I actually have a lot more games that are free on my list but they are mods to existing games.

A great many of them have Super Hero themes because I am an avid comic book fan.

The thing is I want to keep this list simple and have people download - click - and play.

If they have to do special installations - Half the audience will die out because most people are use to pressing X and seeing colors - You dig?

So when I have extra time I am going to divide my free gaming database and post another ongoing thread for mods.

#134 sniping_dreamer

sniping_dreamer

Pew pew pew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

Wait whoa, Psi-Ops is free now? Awesome, never knew that.
Legend of Princess is pretty awesome. The soundtrack's superb.

I suggest going over the DigiPen games. Namely, Empyreal Nocturne, Synaesthete (AWESOME), Narbacular Drop (predecessor of Portal)
Posted Image

#135 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

Wait whoa, Psi-Ops is free now? Awesome, never knew that.
Legend of Princess is pretty awesome. The soundtrack's superb.

I suggest going over the DigiPen games. Namely, Empyreal Nocturne, Synaesthete (AWESOME), Narbacular Drop (predecessor of Portal)

Yeah man - I have a few games from PS2 and Dreamcast that went freeware on the PC.

Cool. I played Narb before I know I have it on my database. I also made a mod for Quake 2 that used a lot of reflecting portals. I am going to reedit and get it to work with Darkplaces...will be my project for the next few months.

Thanks for the leads.

#136 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

Megabot

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Megabot is a side-scrolling action game that features game elements found in the Megaman games of old. Megaman 3, 4, and 5 were very big inspirations for me when I started making Megabot.

I remember playing those good 'ol NES games and thinking to myself, "I could probably make something like this one day". Well now that I have the skills and resources to do so, I am doing just that. I love Capcom. This game can be considered a tribute to Capcom and old-school gaming.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy playing the game as much as I enjoyed making it! Lots of surprises await! The game is a full length 100% complete FREEWARE game.

System Requirements

CPU: 400 Mhz
Video: 16 Mb
Memory: 64 Mb
Hard Drive: 21 Mb

Download it here - http://www.64digits....101/Megabot.zip

Screenshots

Posted Image

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 03 March 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#137 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:36 AM

Postal 2: Share The Pain

First Person Shooter
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Humor

Postal 2: Share The Pain lets you spend a week living the life of Postal Dude -- a guy on the edge, who could snap at any moment. Will he become a pacifist or a bloodthirsty killer? It's totally up to you! It's over-the-top, violent and absurd humor for the gamer craving a new kind of shooter.

Features:
- Accomplish multiple missions during your five-day week, and decide where & when to snap
- Explore a massive game world freely -- multiple neighborhoods realistic & destructible environments to shoot up
- Over 100 characters you can interact with - some armed, some not. Experiment with the cops, protesters, Gary Coleman and more & see what happens
- Powerful AI and realistic graphics make the human & human/animal interactions more real and more exciting
- New mission-based multiplayer game puts you up against fellow mail carriers who've gone postal.

System Requirements

CPU: 733 Mhz
Hard Drive: 384 Mb

Download it here - http://www.gamershel...oad_26434.shtml

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 14 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#138 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:46 AM

Halo Zero

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Halo Zero is a free, fan-made 2D action game based on Bungie and Microsoft Game Studio's Halo franchise. Official Site - http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_Zero

Megazell's Comment - Update - Here is a link to a modding community with the games level editor and a few mods for you to download - http://hzmods.wordpress.com/. The original developer for this game has abandoned this project. There were some issues with the original file below and Windows Vista and higher OS - Here is a link to an updated version of the game for those using Vista and higher -

http://www.mediafire...jwt/hzsetup.exe
or
http://dobermann47.f...ile/hzsetup.exe

System Requirements

CPU: 1 Ghz
Hard Drive: 22 Mb

Download it here - http://download.cnet...4-10474711.html

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 06 January 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#139 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:14 AM

PRISM: Guard Shield

First Person Shooter/MMO
Single Player - No
Multiplayer - Yes

Theme: Military

The Army National Guard and Rival Interactive are creating a first person 3D shooter called PRISM: Guard Shield that contains a unique blend of stealth operations and fast action game play. The game focuses on the unconventional application of new and emerging weapons and surveillance technologies in the war against terrorism. PRISM takes place in the near future with the player becoming the newest member of a highly secretive homeland defense unit known as PRISM. PRISM: Guard Shield focuses on familiar locations in the US such as Washington, D.C. and San Francisco, CA. When terrorist activities are suspected or potential targets are identified, players are called into action.

PRISM: Guard Shield is being developed simultaneously with a game for the commercial market called PRISM: Threat Level Red. Players will be immersed in a unique gaming experience that draws players into a world that blurs the lines between commercial entertainment and America’s secret struggle against terrorism using tomorrow’s technology and weapons.

Gameplay Features
. 3 environments
. 3 multiplayer game modes (Co-operative, Death Match, and Team Death Match)
. 8 near-future weapons
. 7 characters with 3 unique enemy types
. Up to 32 players online
. Recognizable landmarks
. Use stealth tactics to gain the advantage over the enemy
. Unique Hover Camera at the player's command
. 'Night Vision' capability to see in the dark and surprise the enemy
. Silenced weapons and Taser stun-gun allow the player to take on the enemy silently
. Highly configurable Co-op multiplayer modes
. Real ray-traced reflections
. Picture-In-Picture capability during game play

System Requirements

CPU: 1.5 Ghz
Video: 64 Mb
Hard Drive: 700 Mb

Download it here - http://www.fileplane...eld-(Free-Game)

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#140 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:17 PM

Facewound

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Facewound is a 2D side scrolling shoot'em up that should retail for about $15, but Facepunch Studios decided to stop production and release it for free. Actually, the game is not complete, and is stated that the released version should be handled with care - unfinished, unpolished and should be treated with the same attitude you'd treat a leaked alpha with.

With that out of the way, it's time to say that Facewound is a brilliant piece of old school shooter action. It deftly merges the control scheme we know and love from Abuse (keyboard for movement and mouse for aiming) with some furious zombie shooting and visual effects aplenty. Unfinished? Yes, things like stair climbing animation are missing. Unpolished? Maybe, it could use some play testing to make sure the difficulty level and weapons access is balanced. Furious and fun? Absolutely!

Our hero is facing a zombie invasion and needs to cross the levels by shooting everything in sight and jumping a lot. You can perform some fabulous headshots but sometimes the zombies keep coming even without their heads. Dead enemies drop some green plutonium bars that must be collected to increase a meter and earn credits to purchase better weapons. It will take some time to experience the entire arsenal, ranging from simple handguns to machine guns, bows, grenades, laser weapons and flamethrowers. The visual effects that accompany the more powerful weapons are something to see, from the burning scenery (and zombies) to the glowing edges of buildings. Explosions are loud and the whole game is fast and frantic.

The weapon handling feels great (despite some occasional bugs, with a couple of them separated from your hands) and the bullet impact sounds perfect, with some delicious 'crunch' effects. Music is hard-hitting and powerful.

Facewound is a blast. It may be dubbed unfinished by its authors but it's extremely playable as it is and the bugs aren't that noticeable. Absolutely recommended.

Megazell's Comment - This game plays extremely well. It's a great game in all honesty. Very fun, funny and full of challenges. If the game is incomplete I did not notice it at all. I have yet to end it but from playing some of the levels it is groovy.

System Resources

CPU: 800 Mhz

Download it here - http://www.moddb.com/games/facewound

Screenshots

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#141 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Megazell's Top Pick
Eternal Daughter
Megazell's Top Pick

Action/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No
Netbook Friendly

Eternal Daughter is the final game that was released under the Blackeye Software name. It took Jon Perry and I two years to make and nearly destroyed our immortal souls. It’s an homage to some of our favorite games from our preteen years, like Super Metroid and Castlevania: SOTN.

Even though the gameplay is familiar, the world, the characters, and the story are all our own. The game also marks my first teaming up with Swedish music virtuoso, David Saulesco, who produced an original soundtrack for it. Unfortunately, you cannot currently download the soundtrack.

Megazell's Comment - This is yet another great game. If you are fan of old school action games like Mario, Sonic and Golden Axe this game delivers. If you never played any of those games - Give this game a try. It has a solid story, great artwork/graphics and awesome soundtrack that pulls you into the world. This game is a hit whenever I have company and everyone that I have recommend the game to enjoyed it immensely.

System Requirements

Memory: 64 Mb
Hard Drive: 10.1 Mb

Download it here - http://www.derekyu.com/games/ed.zip

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 14 May 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#142 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

X-Men: Children Of The Atom

Fighting
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Gamepad Support - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Superheroes

X-Men: Children of the Atom is an arcade game that was produced by Capcom and released on the CPS-2 arcade system in 1994. It is the first fighting game produced by Capcom using characters under license from Marvel Comics, widely praised for its faithfulness in capturing the spirit of its namesake comics, by using colorful animation and voice actors from the X-Men animated series, such as Cathal Dodd as Wolverine.

The player has an "X-Power" gauge (Similar to the Super Combo gauge in Super Street Fighter II Turbo and the "Special" gauge in Darkstalkers) that builds as the player perform regular of special moves. X-Power gauge starts at Lv. 1 and reaches Lv. 2 when it becomes half-full and an Aura will begin to Surround the player's character until it becomes full and reaches MAX level. Players can then perform an "X-Ability", which consumes a small portion of the X-Power gauge, or a "Hyper X", which consumes a greater portion of the same gauge. Breaking one's fall from a throwing technique or performing a counterthrow will also consume a portion of the X-Power gauge when performed.

Other features introduced in Children of the Atom includes Super Jumps, the ability to roll away or towards an opponent after falling, the ability to determine the aim of a projectile move (such as Cyclops' eye beam), and the ability to pursuit an opponent after performing a throwing attack for additions attacks.

After selecting a character, the player can choose between "manual" or "automatic" blocking. By selecting to automatically block attacks, some features will not be available during gameplay.

The single-player mode consists of six computer-controlled opponents and two non-playable boss characters. Unlike some games, the player can not play against a clone of their own character. Akuma from Super Turbo, appears in the single-player mode as a secret opponent who appears after the sixth match if the requirements are met.

In 2001 a Mugen clone was released. It has been referred to by Capcom as fanart and nothing more. So long as the game is not sold for profit the company agreed now to pursue patent infringement.

System Requirements

CPU: 700 Mhz
Video: 2 Mb
Hard Drive: 32 Mb

Download it here - http://www.old-games...children-of-the <- Use the free download feature.

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#143 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hey Mega, do you use any specific peripherals or controllers for any of these games? I have a couple of $5 usb controllers but I can't seem to get anything to recognize them so I'll probably pick up one or two of those Xbox360 for Windows controllers. Was wondering if you had any experience with them and compatibility with your ever-expanding library?

#144 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Hey Mega, do you use any specific peripherals or controllers for any of these games? I have a couple of $5 usb controllers but I can't seem to get anything to recognize them so I'll probably pick up one or two of those Xbox360 for Windows controllers. Was wondering if you had any experience with them and compatibility with your ever-expanding library?

What controllers do you have excatly? Maybe I can help. BTW - It's the OS that decide if the controllers will work. When XP came out a lot of old controllers no longer worked with the new OS.

This is my preferred controller. They work with XP and Linux and are very affordable.

Saitek - P220 - Staples - $4.99 in NYC

Posted Image

I also have a few these - Saitek - P2900 - $12.99 - Amazing Savings Store in NYC

Posted Image

These are more for guest and my family since they hate wires and prefer to play from the couch or bed. Personally, I prefer wire.

#145 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Megazell's Top Pick
Cube
Cube 2: Sauerbraten
AssaultCube
Megazell's Top Pick

First Person Shooter
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes

Cube

Cube is the original game that started it all. Though it has been surpassed in almost every way by Cube 2, it is a game in its own right. Most importantly, it comes with over 100 (!) maps, most of which are not available in Cube 2, with extensive single and multi player content.

Cube is also smaller in every way, in download, in hardware requirements (runs well on older video cards!), and in source code (the absolutely tiny code base is a very easy start for those wishing to experiment).

It also has some unique engine features such as the high precision dynamic occlusion culling, and its heighfield based level format.

Cube 2: Sauerbraten

Free single and multi player 1st person shooter game with some satisfying fast oldskool gameplay. A large variety of gameplay modes from classic SP to fast 1 on 1 MP and objective based teamplay, with a great variety of original maps to play on.

Level editing has never been so much fun: a press of a key allows you to modify the geometry / textures / entities in-game, on the fly. Even more novel, you can make maps together with others online, in the unique "coop edit" mode (!)

The engine, though designed for simplicity and elegance as opposed to feature & eyecandy checklists, still competes nicely thanks to its novel "6-directional heighfield deformable cube octree" world structure that is the basis for its in-game editing. Occlusion culling, pixel & vertex shaders, very accurate lightmapping, robust custom physics system, network system, models, sound, scripting...

AssaultCube

AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. Set in a realistic looking environment, as far as that´s possible with this engine, while gameplay stays fast and arcade. This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun.

System Requirements

Cube
OS: Windows 95 or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
Hard Drive: 50 Mb *Will increase as you download maps*

Cube 2: Sauerbraten and AssaultCube
OS: Windows 98 SE or higher, Linux and Mac versions available
CPU: 1 Ghz
Video: GeForce 4 MX or higher
Hard Drive: 300 Mb

Download them all here - http://cubeengine.com/
or
Download it here - http://www.desura.co...erbraten-cube-2 <- Part 2 Only - Requires Desura client

Gameplay Video

Cube 2:Sauerbraten

Assault Cube

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#146 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

Haha, for a second I thought those were going to be based off those Cube horror flicks.

How about tower defense games or possibly base builders?

When I get a chance I'll play through some of these and do a write-up. Keep up the good work.

#147 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Haha, for a second I thought those were going to be based off those Cube horror flicks.

How about tower defense games or possibly base builders?

When I get a chance I'll play through some of these and do a write-up. Keep up the good work.

Give me an example of a commerical game. I have games listed by these genres - Turn Based Strategy, Real Time Strategy, Top Down Shooter, Side Scroller, First Person Shooter, Role playing, Puzzle, MMORPG, Sports, Racing and Odd.

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#148 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

Goldeneye 2D

Shooter/Platformer
Single Player - Yes
Multiplayer - No

Theme: Espionage

As you've probably already guessed, GoldenEye 2D is a remake of the N64 classic (or best game ever). The Dam level has been crammed into a Gameboy styled sidescrolling shooter designed and coded in about 5 days. The missions, level design and enemies are the same as the N64 game, but have been altered slightly to make them work in a sidescroller.

Instead of collecting weapons from defeated enemies, this time you'll have to earn them. Fill the experience bar up by killing enemies and unlock a better weapon. Just make sure you don't take too many hits or you'll lose it.

Complete the game and get a GoldenEye Ranking. Are you a mighty 00 Agent, or a pathetic Klobb?

System Requirements

CPU: 250 Mhz
Hard Drive: 4 Mb

Download it here - http://www.perfectru...get/goldeneye2d

Gameplay Video

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 03 March 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#149 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

Give me an example of a commerical game. I have games listed by these genres - Turn Base Strategy, Real Time Strategy, Top Down Shooter, Side Scroller, First Person Shooter, Role playing, Puzzle, MMORPG, Sports, Racing and Odd.

Tower defense: Plants VS Zombies, Defense Grid

Base building: Um, you build a base then waves of enemies attack you? They're essentially the same genre. Build phase, attack phase.

#150 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

FreeCiv

Turn Based Strategy
Single Payer - Yes
Multiplayer - Yes
Netbook Friendly

Theme: Other

Players take the role of a tribe leader in 4000 BC and have to guide their people through the centuries. Over time, new technologies are discovered, which allow the construction of new city buildings and the deployment of new units. Players can wage war on one another or form diplomatic relationships. The game ends when one civilization has eradicated all others, accomplished the goal of space colonization or at a certain deadline. If more than one civilization remains at the deadline, the player with the highest score wins. Points are awarded for the size of a civilization, its wealth, and cultural and scientific advances.

System Requirements

CPU: 100 Mhz
Memory: 16 Mb

Download it here - http://freeciv.wikia.../wiki/Main_Page

Screenshots

Posted Image

--> Click Here! <--

Edited by Megazell, 10 January 2013 - 06:18 AM.