Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

• Please log in to reply
2841 replies to this topic

#31 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

crunchewy, you're being a bit paranoid. You do realize that the low points card prices happened in the midst of when many companies went bankrupt, right? Between all the liquidations and wholesales, it's not a surprise prices dipped suddenly. If that type of scam was being done, there's no reason it would stop. Yet, aside from stores making pricing mistakes, I haven't seen prices like 4000 pts @ $30 since.

And the only way to make stealing credit unprofitable is to end the credit system. It's even better than cash these days.

I'm more worried about the CAGs that pricematch one store's mistake at other stores even long after the mistake has been corrected. So much blatent fraud hurts good businesses.

#32 Ratchet & CAG

Ratchet & CAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

DEALS GOING ON NOW
costco is having a sale on 1,600 n 12 month live get both for $50. people claiming you pay only $40 at store.. need to be a costco member for these deals.

That deal is misleading at least from the Costco I went to.

The $50 deal they have is NOT in stock in-store.

The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax.

#33 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

crunchewy, you're being a bit paranoid. You do realize that the low points card prices happened in the midst of when many companies went bankrupt, right? Between all the liquidations and wholesales, it's not a surprise prices dipped suddenly. If that type of scam was being done, there's no reason it would stop. Yet, aside from stores making pricing mistakes, I haven't seen prices like 4000 pts @ $30 since.

My presumption is that that stopped because ebay cracked down on it. For one thing they later made a rule that auctions of gift cards/point cards could not deliver a code over email - a physical card had to be sent. After that the number of too good to be true auctions on point cards dropped, though they didn't disappear completely. A sign that it could be such a fraud is if the account is relatively new, because the scammers would sell for a while on one account, then move onto a different account.

Ppeople on messages boards I read had their iTunes accounts canceled due to this very thing. Generally, after contacting Apple they were able to get their accounts back, but lost the points they had left from the purchase. Mind you, I don't know the people personally, of course, but there wasn't any reason not to believe them that I could see.

Crunchewy.png

#34 zeb06

zeb06

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Lol, not this argument again...

Veign06.jpg       76561198006310375.png

Free iTunes and Amazon credit -- http://m.freemyapps....re/url/c1b61416

#35 sonnyforple

sonnyforple

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Not sure if a sticky is needed. But it seems someone is always in the need for cheap point cards.

#36 sonnyforple

sonnyforple

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

My presumption is that that stopped because ebay cracked down on it. For one thing they later made a rule that auctions of gift cards/point cards could not deliver a code over email - a physical card had to be sent. After that the number of too good to be true auctions on point cards dropped, though they didn't disappear completely. A sign that it could be such a fraud is if the account is relatively new, because the scammers would sell for a while on one account, then move onto a different account.

Ppeople on messages boards I read had their iTunes accounts canceled due to this very thing. Generally, after contacting Apple they were able to get their accounts back, but lost the points they had left from the purchase. Mind you, I don't know the people personally, of course, but there wasn't any reason not to believe them that I could see.

I don't know about the iTunes crowd, but myself and hundreds of CAGs bought the cheap ebay xbox point cards for 40% off or more and I have yet to hear one person with a canceled account or points removed.

#37 Seasick Pirate

Seasick Pirate

Rachael's Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

I support the effort OP.
Good idea to have around when your subscription is running out and need a code ASAP, or when a good DotW appears on Live to make it even a sweeter deal with cheap points.

DCH_Logo%202014_CAG.png

Also on Twitter @ DanCote.Himself

#38 Traitorious

Traitorious

Shunts to the face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

I propose to keep the thread, but turn it into a points (points+live for MS) sale tracker for all 3 systems.

#39 dracula

dracula

i'll buy that for a dolla

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

but if it is just ms, put it in the 360 forum

this sounds like the best idea, tho i admit i dont check the microsoft forum.
"If it ain't fifty cents then I dont want it."

http://www.cheapassg...171#post1074171

Posted Image

#40 nrfuller

nrfuller

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

"The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax."

I really don't think any Costco has the 12 mo card and points for $39.99. I think that was a mistake on someone's part. So far no one's reported seeing a subscription/points combo from Costco that's any less that $50 and I really think that's because there isn't one.

#41 youenvy

youenvy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

"The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax."

I really don't think any Costco has the 12 mo card and points for $39.99. I think that was a mistake on someone's part. So far no one's reported seeing a subscription/points combo from Costco that's any less that $50 and I really think that's because there isn't one.

cool thanks for the info edited my post--

#42 Apathetic-Irony

Apathetic-Irony

Seize the Carp!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

if there was a stickied thread, I'd vote for it to be for points for all systems, and included digital distribution deals for all systems and pc

but if it is just ms, put it in the 360 forum

So anything that is system specific should be put in their respective forums?

If this is actually updated, this thread would be very useful. Adding in PSN and Nintendo points deals wouldn't hurt either.

#43 jlissandrello

jlissandrello

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

I think it's a great idea, especially for deals for LIVE points.

#44 WuGgaRoO

WuGgaRoO

Custom Title!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

i am always hunting for a live subscription or live points
Posted ImageSome PS Vita and Wii stuff for trade/sale

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=216495

#45 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

I think this is a great thread, and I'm mighty thankful of the OP for creating it. I had been looking around for cheaper MS points. The Dell-Amazon deal was the first I'd seen in awhile.

Thanks OP!

#46 infiniteHorizon

infiniteHorizon

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

now that the OP is updated, this is very useful/helpful... i wasnt even aware there were currently all these deals on 12 month subscriptions. thanks

#47 dieresis

dieresis

CAG Veteran Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:12 AM

Thanks, OP; this thread is a winner in my book. Keep the thread updated, and I'll constantly be back, as I'm always in the need for points!

#48 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:13 AM

Deals go in Deals, no matter if it's platform exclusive or not. If this is kept updated quick, I expect this thread will be a winner.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#49 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

I will sell mine for 15 via Amazon Giftcard
But I only have 2 left
: /

#50 evergoo

evergoo

Proud to be Frugal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

Just throwing in my two cents.

Too many CAGs flamed the OP, even bringing up his 2004 status. You guys need to lighten up because he's doing you all a favor. As long as he keeps this thread semi-updated along the Wii Points and PSN Card threads, I'm all for it. :applause:

P.S. Kidding about the Wii and PSN stuff. ;)

goo.gif evergoo.png

Recent Game Purchases: X-COM Collection, StreetPass Games Bundle, Fire Emblem: Awakening
Currently Playing: StreetPass Games, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time

My Latest Karaoke Video: Lady Gaga's Just Dance

#51 Hostile

Hostile

Dark Evangel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

Do all 12 months cards have a hidden +1 month now or is that kind of deal gone?

#52 icarusmight

icarusmight

What it do!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

Gone as far as I know. Picked up a brand new retail card and no more "+1" month.

#53 Baraloo02

Baraloo02

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:17 AM

Appreciate the thread =)

Keep it up today, Im sure it'll be on fire if another $20/25 12 Month Live pops up again.

#54 rgon86

rgon86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

Go OP. Hold this thread strong. I'll be needing some points and a new subscription card pretty soon.

#55 nigilcv

nigilcv

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

I'm alway looking for deals on points and subscriptions. Keep it up.

#56 dmzauk

dmzauk

The Cat Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the thread OP.

#57 daminion

daminion

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

A stickied thread with microsoft, sony and nintendo point deals would be even more awesome :)

agreed. doesn't deserve a sticky unless it covers everything

#58 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

OK, so post the deals on PSN and Nintendo points then. The OP was interested in Microsoft points (and Live). Why are we asking him to do it all? He never said he was going to. If you want a thread for those systems, make them! Or just post your finds here, and perhaps they'll add them to the OP.

Crunchewy.png

#59 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Other than the Wal-Mart clearance have Wii Points ever been on sale? Same for PSN, other than the odd, Meijer 10% off deal (which is quite limited to most not in range of a store), have they ever gone on sale?

On the flipside you can count on at least 3-4 average deals on Xbox points a year, and usually 1 great deal per year.

#60 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I don't recall too many deals on Nintendo points either. I don't know about PSN as I don't have a PSP nor PS3, so haven't followed that. What I find comical (or not) is that Amazon has a price of $19.99 for Nintendo Points, but lists the original price as $24.99. What bullshit. $19.99 has always been the retail price.

Crunchewy.png