Sell Me on a PS3

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 SirConnery

SirConnery

You're The Man Now Dog!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

I posted this same topic over at GameTZ where I've been a member for many years. Since the member base is bigger here, I'm posting this same topic again.

I'm looking for many different opinions, thoughts, persuasions as to why I should own a Playstation 3.

I currently do all my gaming on a iMac (running Windows 7 Ultimate under bootcamp), PSP Slim, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen, and a Xbox 360. I love the Xbox 360 the most. It's noise level is annoying, but I've learned to live with it. I don't have a blu-ray player, but I do have a few blu-ray movies I picked up along the way cheap.

Just being generally curious, I'm wondering if I'm missing anything by not owning or playing a Playstation 3. Graphics are nice, but I'm more interested in general gameplay here. I like the sense of community and multiplayer I find with my paid membership to Xbox Live. I found enough cheap deals on time cards that I have 2 and a half years prepaid. I had an Xbox 360 die on me once under warranty. I took it back to BestBuy and had a replacement within an hour. I don't have any RROD horror stories.

So what am I missing? Sell me on blu-ray, game sharing, exclusive titles, likes & gripes, whatever. Point me to some youtube comparison videos. Either way I will be using blu-ray soon, I just haven't decided if I want it to be via a PS3 or a general blu-ray player. Local stores here are selling a Panasonic BD60 for $120. It's very tempting but I'm still weighing it against a PS3.

If it makes any difference, I have owned a PS1, PS2, PS2 Slim, Original Xbox, etc. I hated the original Xbox, didn't care for the PS2 regular or slim, really liked the PS1.

#2 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:41 AM

I'm not going to go out of my way to sell you on a PS3 since you can search youtube and do your own research, but I'd say you're missing out on a tremendous gaming experience without one.

I personally think the PS3's exclusives easily beat what the 360 has to offer. No contest. The fact that it doubles as a Blu-ray player, includes an online service with the purchase (i..e no yearly or monthly fees) and is whisper quiet (for the most part) is just icing for me.

You've been here long enough so you should know what the PS3 has to offer. Look up videos for Uncharted 1 and 2, InFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, God of War III, MLB 10: The Show, and so on if you need to be sold on one. If those don't interest you then you don't like games need one

#3 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

http://www.metacriti...mes/ps3/scores/ Here's a list of the "well-reviewed" PS3 games. Go through, find ones you can't play on 360, and see for yourself whether you'd like them or not.

As a blu-ray player, PS3 cannot be beat. Easy and constant internet connections means you're always up-to-date on your firmware. May not seem that important, but Sony has plans that would allow any existing blu-ray player to handle 35 GB discs (instead of the current 25gb) with a simple firmware upgrade.

Also worth mentioning - upgrading to a higher capacity hard drive is much cheaper than on 360, since you don't have to buy an official Sony-branded HD.

That should give you a start, but you should really do your own homework. Buy a Ps3 because you want one, not because some random internet guy convinced you to.

#4 jirotokio

jirotokio

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

I personally have all three systems. If you can afford it why not get it? I buy games for all systems. It really comes down to whether your friends have the system also. PS3 has had some pretty good exclusives like Infamous and Demon Souls. Really no one should have to sell you on getting the system. Get it only if it doesn't break the bank and there are enough games you want. Being able to play your Blu ray moves is a plus, but it should not be the only reason, as a Blu ray player can be had for around 100.

#5 yohsh

yohsh

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

If you want to play the exclusives then yes.

uc.png

#6 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

With the price drop of the PS3, it's a great value of a system with some nice exclusives that ssjmichael mentioned above.

The online isn't as streamlined as Xbox Live and the lack of cross-game invites and party chat leaves PSN to be lacking, but still functional when it matters the most (multiplayer).

Either way, a PS3 is a great addition to your already large arsenal of gaming platforms.

On a side note, I wouldn't read into comments from fanboys such as DPsx7 too much. You don't buy a console because of the hardware, you buy it for the software and your personal needs. Whether or not your personal needs require you to have a PS3 is a decision ultimately left up to you.

#7 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

PS3 has the best value of any of the 3 systems. The online is not as good as Live, but it's free and blows away the Wii and is at least comparable to the 360.

The PS3 really has a lot of great exclusives. Granted you lose first/third party exclusives like Mass Effect, Halo, Fable, and Forza among others from the 360, but you gain stuff like Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, Valkyria Chronicles, Buzz, MLB The Show, Gran Turismo and others so it's a wash. Most multi-platform games are now pretty comparable between systems (stuff like Bayonetta is the exception vs. the rule now) and some games are better on the PS3 (Batman: Arkham Asylum and FF XIII.)

Also its still one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market and even the ones that are better aren't as good a deal as the PS3 considering the difference in cost vs. functionality of the PS3 vs. a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#8 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:12 AM

The OP clearly has money if he can afford all that stuff he listed so it's not even a question of the 360 or the PS3. He can afford to keep both and buy games for both as well. Basically it comes down to this: The 360 won't provide you with a complete gaming experience, neither will the PS3. If you want the best of both worlds, plus a kick-ass Blu-ray player then getting a PS3 really is a no-brainer.

look at me trying to sell you on one after I said I wouldn't >>

#9 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

God of War III
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#10 crushtopher

crushtopher

1 to 1.618

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

Blu-Ray is a waste of money. Why drop $29.99 for a new movie? Oh the special effects are awesome and the sound quality...well it totally dignifies the outrageous price! Oh wait, no it doesn't. I'll still enjoy the same movie that you're watching with an extra $20 in my back pocket...

#11 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:30 AM

These questions are awfully annoying as we know very little about your tastes.

If the exclusive titles sound worth it to you then go for it. The console itself is fine, the online is fine, the blu-ray player is fine, PSN is a fine network. It's what you are going to do with it personally that makes the difference.

#12 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Not trying to be rude, but if you need to be 'sold' on a system, that's a pretty good sign that you should pass on it, at least for now....
\\:D/

#13 mwynn

mwynn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Blu-Ray is a waste of money. Why drop $29.99 for a new movie? Oh the special effects are awesome and the sound quality...well it totally dignifies the outrageous price! Oh wait, no it doesn't. I'll still enjoy the same movie that you're watching with an extra $20 in my back pocket...

You are shopping at the wrong store if you are paying 29.99, must be going to Barnes and noble. I have never paid more than 15 for a blu ray.

#14 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Just get it. Then you never have to worry about missing anything.

#15 McFryyyyyy

McFryyyyyy

Mogwai Fear Satan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Last Gaurdian
Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles
Demons Souls

Kamagii.png

#16 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Or you can really save your money and get netflix for anywhere from 11-20 a month for 1-3 out at time including Blu Ray movies.

#17 LBJC

LBJC

Lvl99; CAG+100

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

God of War 3.

Go watch GTTV footage. You will buy a PS3 for this game.

#18 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

First, Im going to need you to sell me on selling you a PS3.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#19 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

If you need someone to convince you then it's not right. I personally bought a ps3 and 360 at launch and am just barely starting to feel like my purchase was justified. If you love how streamlined 360's content, dashboard, and online are you'll hate the ps3. Maybe the 360 spoiled me but the ps3 interface is terrible and I hate the fact that when all I want to do is play a game I spend five minutes before hand downloading and installing an update or have a mandatory game install. The online community is pretty junky on psn also. I hear lots of gripes about paying for xbox live but if online gaming is you're cup of tea then you get what you pay for.

Blu-ray is a nice option, I'm a movie addict so I buy into it. As long as you're not stupid enough to plunk down $30 per movie it's a nice addition.

#20 Lord Humongous

Lord Humongous

NOI JITAT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

first, im going to need you to sell me on selling you a ps3.

exactly.
Posted Image .. Posted Image

#21 Kanik

Kanik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

The one thing I think 360 has over the PS3 is the sense of community. While it does cost yearly, almost everyone is on Xbox Live and it's easy to communicate and coordinate playing games with friends.

The PS3 though provides a wider range of games, many of which are niche, that attempt to push the genres. Multiple PS3 exclusives have had me saying "wow, never played anything like that before." The 360's exclusives, Halo/Gears/Fable, play like they're produced for the masses. Pixel Junk Monsters/Eden/Shooter, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, MAG, MGS 4, Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls etc. are all games that I loved and felt brought something to the table that no other game this generation did.

My only gripe is that the PS3 exclusives have all been so good that I want to hold onto them after beating them. A problem because I regularly sell a game once done.

I also really love Blurays. On a 42" inch TV the difference in video quality is extraordinary. There are always coupons out that bring down the prices of new releases to $11-15...though I have netflix. :)

#22 Guest_strongpimphand_*

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

Not trying to be rude, but if you need to be 'sold' on a system, that's a pretty good sign that you should pass on it, at least for now....

AIN'T THIS THE TRUTH!!!!

I hate threads like these. You need to be SOLD to buy a 300 dollar system??? You see the games out. You probably played the system before countless times. Do you really want to the SOLD on the system or are you subliminally just trying to conjure up another ps3/360 debate???

I think the latter.

I got all three systems. Our 3-4 360's get the most play. When it comes to fighting games though, the ps3 always get turned on. That's just me. But, I know what is coming out on the ps3 and I don't play those types of games, so I'm not pre-ordering them any time soon.

And yes, you should be concerned about the warranty. $170 dollars to repair a console is pitiful, and that's what my roommate had to pay. They didn't even repair it...they just sent him a new one. I guess nice, except for the high price tag.

I'm not going to convince you to buy something that you probably see/use more than once a week already in your life. You say you got all that technology....so take your ass to your friend's house and play theirs or to gamestop. You ain't someone's daddy who barely know how to use a computer...

#23 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Umm....

#24 SirMikael

SirMikael

Touch Not This CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

I've had my PS3 for a few weeks now, and I've been playing it a lot lately. Even though I'm enjoying the newness of the PS3, I still prefer my 360 for a lot of reasons.

My main issue with the PS3 is the online components. I know that I'm paying for Xbox Live, but the difference is pretty huge in most of the main areas.

#25 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

Do I get commission?

#26 bigmac8855601

bigmac8855601

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

Yes, no contest. 360's games are a pitiful joke compared to PS3. Hell even the Wii has a better library and more variety than 360. M$ simply doesn't have anything exclusive to keep you on their console, everything worth playing WILL be on the PS3 or Wii before long. Plus you get more reliable hardware and a better balanced controller. Nor do you get nickel and dimed for every little thing and gamesharing is always an option. If you care about the fluff features (I don't have interest in anything not gaming related) then I suppose PS3 has even more to offer.

You didn't like the PS2? Now I know you're crazy. Ha.

Can you get more "fanboy-ish" than this? I have both and like them equally. Don't listen to this dumbass.

#27 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:28 PM

The exclusives, the free online play, the wi-fi built in, the rechargeable controllers, the Blu-ray. That all factors into why the PS3 is my platform of choice for console gaming.

Sure, PSN isn't as streamlined as Xbox Live but the dashboard is such a mess, and i have used it plenty to form an opinion.

Plus, I just can't find myself wanting to play anything on the Xbox. Literally, other than 2 or so games, it's such a dead market just full of Halo and Gears of War, the most generic of the generic.
And I have a PC for those Valve games I want to buy.

I do wish Sony improves the online support and makes developers implement more Xbox Live features into their games. Lately, I've seen most MP games now support cross game invites. And some games show exactly what you're doing in that particular game now.

I remember last generation when I bought an Xbox instead of a PS2, and I regretted it so much because Sony's games were just so much better. The same is here this generation, Sony just has the better games that I want to play and so much variety between them all.

Also, all these so called "exclusives" like the GTA4 DLC are coming to the PS3 within a month. I bet Mass Effect 2 won't stay PC/360 for too long.

#28 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

The system itself is better, no contest. You get way more for the same amount of money.

As far as games, it really comes down to the exclusives. Halo vs. Killzone 2.....the latter. 360 does have Forza 3 which is the best driving game out right now. Mass Effect is decent, but way better on the computer than the 360.

PS3 has Demon's Souls, which is probably the greatest exclusive ever. Uncharted 2, which is the best rated gamed in a LONG time, and the new MLB the Show 10. Considering my loathe for sports games, this one is suprisingly AMAZING.

Coupled with the fact it has bluetooth, built in Blu Ray drive, can browse the internetz, gamesharing, and an amazing add-on called Ad-Hoc Party, which makes the PSP amazing, it's really a no brainer.

People get a 360 for the online community, which is way more established than the PS3s, but you pay for it.

#29 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

As far as I see, the PS3 has just as good of a community as Xbox Live's. I mean, people on here organize games and you can always go on Home and find them.

I see no benefit other than cross game chat to what Live does. It is simpler to do stuff like inviting or seeing messages but come on.

#30 kurrptsenate

kurrptsenate

HAW-DOO-TEN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

For popular FPS, the servers are decent enough. For other titles like SF4, and Demon's Souls, the servers/lag is almost unbearable at times. It's impossible to think that a community of about 3,000,000 is equal to one of about 8-10,000,000. For more obscure titles that aren't new or mainstream, this is definitely a factor.