What was your favorite Saturn Game?

kaypatch

CAG Veteran
Hands down, Guardian Heroes.

We used to place bets on who would win when we did a Battle Royal! What a great game!

[quote name='kaypatch']Hands down, Guardian Heroes.

We used to place bets on who would win when we did a Battle Royal! What a great game![/QUOTE]
I'm torn between Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force.

I honestly have a lot of fun with Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter 2 with my friends, but I never did get a lot of the good games as I don't have the money for them right now. I did have Nights into Dreams but it got boring after a while.

Xmen VS Street Fighter. I shit my pants over how much better it was over the playstation version.

Dragon Force - still wish I never got rid of it. Think I traded it for a lot of NGPC games, mainly wanted the UK release of Faselei! (this was before they flooded the market with the unreleased US copies).

That ranks up there with me getting rid of my Steel Battalion (that I bought on release day and then sold for $35) as some of my biggest regrets in getting rid of videogames.

Dragon Force. I love that game. The unique game play, large cast of characters, crazy special attack and multiple story modes to get different point of view. I haven't play other Saturn games people enjoy like Panazer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes or Burning Rangers.

Albert Odyessy, I beat for the first time a few years ago. It's your typical turnbased JRPG. Colorful, simple and quite charming.

I also really enjoyed Astal & Three Dirty Dwarves.

To pick a game no one else has mentioned, I like Fighters Megamix a lot. Wish it used the Virtua Fighter 2 engine, but that game was crazy just for including the car from Daytona as a playable character.

X-men vs. Streetfighter. Such a shining example of a time when Japan got everything cool and we got shat upon. Also a time when Japan bought and played awesome games instead of "Learn to speak english with your DS".

A close second is Firepro Wrestling S - Six Man Scramble. Firepro S was actually my first import game and the title (and it's internet-saavy fanbase) is what prompted me to mod my formerly neglected Saturn.

Panzer Dragoon Saga...I loved that game so much that I would occasionally have nightmares about people breaking in my house and stealing my English copy.

For import games-the Japanese version of Castlevania Symphony of the Night (USA never got a version of this for their Saturns). Not only was it just like the Playstation version, but it had extra levels and an extra character to play. (My Japanese is virtually nonexistant, so I didnt even try to play any of those cool RPGs that never got ported over to the States).

This may sound weird but when I was a little kid I loooooved playing the 3D showcase world thing on Sonic Jam. I would just run around forever with no real goal and look at all the artwork in the "museums". I liked it more than the actual game cause I thought it looked soooo very cool. :lol:

[quote name='Paco']Xmen VS Street Fighter. I shit my pants over how much better it was over the playstation version.[/QUOTE]

Tie between this, Marvel Vs. SF and Guardian Heroes.

World Series Baseball '98
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Nights into Dreams
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Die Hard Trilogy ("Ho Ho Ho, I've gotta machine gun!")

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone remember Norimaro from Marvel vs Street Fighter? He was an exclusive character only in the Import version.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. The Dan/Norimaro team brought the pain.

I think that MSH/SF was better than X-men/SF from a technical standpoint but the roster of X-men/SF was a bit better. Juggernaut was a blast to play as. Plus X-men had random select.

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone remember Norimaro from Marvel vs Street Fighter? He was an exclusive character only in the Import version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember him. Wasn't the import version the only version of the game you could get? they didn't release the Saturn version of either game in the states did they?

[quote name='Chitown021']Yeah I remember him. Wasn't the import version the only version of the game you could get? they didn't release the Saturn version of either game in the states did they?[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir. For some laughable reason, Sega (of America I assume) didn't like the idea of releasing games that required additional hardware to run. It's old news now but taking my import Saturn to different people's houses in the late 90s resulted in numerous blown minds as people saw just what could have been.

[quote name='Halo05']You are correct sir. For some laughable reason, Sega (of America I assume) didn't like the idea of releasing games that required additional hardware to run. It's old news now but taking my import Saturn to different people's houses in the late 90s resulted in numerous blown minds as people saw just what could have been.[/QUOTE]

Well I think Sega's apprehension came from so many of their earlier "extra hardware" game debacles like the 32X, Sega CD, etc but at the time the Vs. games were one of the hottest things around. Had they released it I would think people would have bought the console just for that game. Heck I did. I picked up a Saturn specifically because I wanted to import those two games. I didn't want to settle for the watered down PSX versions.

[quote name='Halo05']I think that MSH/SF was better than X-men/SF from a technical standpoint but the roster of X-men/SF was a bit better. Juggernaut was a blast to play as. Plus X-men had random select.[/QUOTE]

I liked the Marvel side of MSH/SF but hated the Capcom side. Too many damn shotos. They fixed this in MvC by giving Ryu his "shoto morph"

I was also blown away when I first saw MSH/SF. This was the first case I remember when arcades started to look less appealing.

Radiant Silvergun

I used to run around the 3D world in Sonic Jam a lot to. Just looking at the extras & seeing where Tails would take me was fun.

Hands down for me was Winning Post. Its SO addictive once you get into it. We used to start playing in the afternoon and play until the sun rose in the morning. Was hard to stop.

We put so many hours into Fire Pro S in high school it was insane. Once we threw Vader (he was an animal in that game) in with 5 Ray Mysterios, Vader had a tendancy to taunt alot (BLAHHHHHHHH). He killed all 5 Mysterios. lol

One of the oft neglected games I always loved was Shining the Holy Ark. First person dungeon crawler with a traditional RPG battle system. Fast paced, good graphics, good music. Also a storyline setup to Shining Force 3.

[quote name='BigPopov']We put so many hours into Fire Pro S in high school it was insane. Once we threw Vader (he was an animal in that game) in with 5 Ray Mysterios, Vader had a tendancy to taunt alot (BLAHHHHHHHH). He killed all 5 Mysterios. lol
[/QUOTE]

Vader is the god of CRITICALS! in Firepro. Since the Saturn game, I've gotten just about every Firepro that has come out and one of my first goals is always to CRITICAL! someone with Vader. It's so satisfying. I'll have to fire up my PS2 tonight and level someone in that. Doing it on the outside of the ring, on the wooden gym floor is always extra brutal.

Tough choice for me.... hmm... if I had to choose one right now, I guess I'd say Battle Garegga. Or WWF In Your House. I'm not sure.

Wish they'd do a Fire Pro for XBLA. Or just another one in the series for that matter. Or even another WCW/nWo Revenge style wrestling game.

World Series Baseball hands down. Revolutionized baseball and sports games.

XvSF is a close second but I didn't put nearly the amount of hours that I put into WSB.

[quote name='kaypatch']Hands down, Guardian Heroes.

We used to place bets on who would win when we did a Battle Royal! What a great game![/QUOTE]

Definitely Guardian Heroes for me too. Then again, a fair number of the Saturn games I own are mediocre, and I've never played some of the great ones: Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3, Albert Odyssey, etc. But Guardian Heroes was a stellar game, and the multiple paths through the game ensured I played it over and over.

[quote name='Halo05']A close second is Firepro Wrestling S - Six Man Scramble. Firepro S was actually my first import game and the title (and it's internet-saavy fanbase) is what prompted me to mod my formerly neglected Saturn.[/QUOTE]

That was my first import game, too, and it was well worth the cost of the game and the Action Replay cartridge.

Reading this thread makes me really wish that Saturn games would come out for Virtual Console or XBLA or Game Room.

Screw AR I had my Saturn modded for like $50. Put a ghetto ass switch on the side of the machine, lol it was great.

I don't get all the Albert Odyssey though. Man what a trash game.

But then again I actually used to like Mystaria / Blazing Heroes, and when we were trashed we would play Revolution X. GD what a horrible game. They didn't even include the full songs, only the first verses!

Any real gamer knows the way to play Saturn imports is with a Japanese Saturn console.

[quote name='BigPopov']I don't get all the Albert Odyssey though. Man what a trash game.[/QUOTE]

What's so trash about it? I love these kind of RPGs and I wish more games were made like this now. Simple, turnbased, world map, towns, shops, inns, magic, dragons, etc...

I also recently beat Magic Knight Rayearth in the past year. It can be described as a girly Zelda style overhead action/RPG. I remember each of the three main characters kept a diary which you could read. My perfectly complete copy was actually given to me by a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragon Force!
A friend had this. After seeing it played I had to go buy a Saturn and Dragon Force. Also the epicness of what happened when you put the disc for Dragon Force in a regular CD player.. "KISS YOUR TWEETERS GOODBYE!'

[quote name='Rodimus']Any real gamer knows the way to play Saturn imports is with a Japanese Saturn console. [/QUOTE]

So true. I love my grey Saturn. Always gets some ooohs and ahhs when gamers come over for the first time.

Count another vote for Fire Prowrestling: Six Men Scramble

I remember the day it came out, my friend and I went to our local independant game shop and picked up our preordered copies. Then we went to Funcoland and bought used Saturns to play the game on!

I had played all the SNES versions since Firepro 1, so I knew what to expect, but this game blew me away! It had RVD and Rey Mysterio Jr!

Our first match was a 6 man tag, my buddy was Misawa, Kawada, and Taue. I was Kobashi, Akiyama, and RVD. About 30 minutes in I CRITICAL!'d Taue when he was not the legal man, so it was 3 on 2. And my friend still took me to a 60 minute draw!

We were marking out like crazy for the draw and my girlfriend couldn't understand why we just played against each other for an hour and were happy that noone won.

I also loved to CRITICAL! ppl with Vader. And I used to also setup 6 Men Scramble matches with Vader and 5 jabronis, and Vader had to kill them all to win. And he always won.

Saturn may be the only console where I owned more import games than US games. I think I have like 4-5 US games and about 12-15 imports.

[quote name='BigPopov']I don't get all the Albert Odyssey though. Man what a trash game.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rodimus']
What's so trash about it? I love these kind of RPGs and I wish more games were made like this now. Simple, turnbased, world map, towns, shops, inns, magic, dragons, etc...
[/QUOTE]

I didn't like Albert Odyssey also. I flew asleep several times trying to beat that game. It felt more like the same old generic jrpg with no charm or substance. I also think Shining Force 3 didn't stand well against the test of time. There are far better isometric srpg such as Final Fantasy Tactics, NIS Series, Fire Emblem or Jeanne d'Arc.

[quote name='fatbeer']I didn't like Albert Odyssey also. I flew asleep several times trying to beat that game. It felt more like the same old generic jrpg with no charm or substance.[/QUOTE]

I thought it had plenty of charm. I will admit the final dungeon was tedious. I kept wishing it would just be over with.

Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Arcade

Countless hours spent playing with my neighbor's Saturn and going back and forth on Fighters Megamix.

Then trying different things in Die Hard Arcade using our imagination.

Imagination. What kids these days lack!

bread's done
Back