CAGcast #200: Jews Gone Wild

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#91 retrovertigo

retrovertigo

It's inexplicable!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:09 AM

Congratulations, gentlemen, on #200! I've been there from the start! I can't believe it's been that long!

#92 wiiheat

wiiheat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

"...not a native of English speaker."

#93 acolon

acolon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

Congrats, here's to another 200!

Also, loved the outro ... Man ...Wombat sounded like he hadn't hit puberty yet during that clip ...

#94 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:21 AM

Cheapy brought up an awesome point with the DLC of most games that attempt to add to the single player and story being usually incredibly underwhelming.

I'm skeptical of how the Mass Effect 2 dlc will turnout, but I'm hopeful.

#95 RchrdJ

RchrdJ

Gamingsurvival.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

Okay, I just finished and I really liked hearing the first CAGcast at the end!

The only real problem I had with the show was the rules for the CAGcast drinking game! Has Tim even listened to the CAGcast? Listeners should take a shot/drink when:

Wombat tells a listener/anyone to Fuck themselves
Cheapy mentions Jean Snow
Shipwreck mentions anything about a press junket
Cheapy mentioning his underwear or his need of new clothes during E3
Cheapy bringing up weed
Anyone saying shitbox

This works better, I think.

Great show guys, I'm really looking forward to the Alan Wake spoiler filled discussion whenever it's done.

I completely agree. I also think that a possibility could have been any time Cheapy refers to the Stern show or Howard Stern.

#96 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

American Idol.

in b4 I'm a gay.

lol he did you a favor, GO WOMBAT =D

loved the show, so great to listen to the first episode at the end, that was awesome, i remember first listening to a quite a long ass time ago. :)
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#97 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:54 AM

I used to think my gaming tastes were similar to Shipwreck but after this episode I realize now that is far from true lol. Red Dead Redemption is a lot of things but BORING?!?! REALLY??? And not liking Super Mario Galaxy...... that's just wrong. SO both those things are shit but then the real kicker...... the E3 most wanted games list.

Bulletstorm

BULLETSTORM......... REALLY............REALLY

I mean God knows we all could use another 1st/3rd person shooter that uses Unreal Engine 3............. thats just bad. OH but it's like the Club................ wait that's a good thing?

whew. I know we all have different tastes and how we feel about games is subjective but c'mon.

Other than that good show haha.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#98 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:58 AM

lol i dont think natal is coming with s slim ps3 lmao but he i guess anything is possible cheapy. i agree with you that 150 is alot but people have spent more than that on plastic insturments that can only be used on 1 type of game so i can see it doing well if it works much like the sony move. it all depends on the games.

#99 zekeike

zekeike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

Great show!
Wombat had me cracking up when he was talking about Heavy Rain and the
F Cheapy D game.

#100 evanft

evanft

Wombat needs Nutrisystem.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:41 AM

Holy shit, where did that intro come from?

#101 bigsick

bigsick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Skid Row / Sebastian Bach should redo youth gone wild as jews gone wild.

also congrats on 200! Heres for another 200 to come.
Posted Image

#102 gameboykid14

gameboykid14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:15 AM

Was anyone else just as confessed as Cheapy when Wombat & Shipwreck started to talk about american Idol?

#103 Jay Are Man Loy

Jay Are Man Loy

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

"The game has James McCaffrey's voice in it"
DOES NOT EQUAL
"James McCaffrey is voice of Alan Wake"

Whoops.

#104 Imallvol7

Imallvol7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:23 AM

Congrats on 200 episodes. Have loved them all.
PSN --> Imallvol7
Xbox Live --> Imallvol

#105 Keirnoth

Keirnoth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:32 AM

(Emphasis mine)

You pointed out the exact reason why those user moderation systems are awful. In the vast majority of cases, posts are modded down when someone posts an opposing viewpoint, regardless of how well reasoned it may be. A moderation system should be used to discourage trolling/offensive/off topic posts, not to discourage conversation.

I agree with this point; it's a double edged sword to use. For example, if anyone in this thread was railing against Red Dead Redemption (for valid reasons), that person will most likely be rated down against because of the massive amounts of fanboys who like the game. Look at the number of posts bashing Shipwreck for *GASP*, not liking a mainstream game.

But at the same time, if someone is obviously trolling, this system would help downvote people like those out of existence. However, I feel if trolls are getting out of hand, it's better to simply report the post and let the mods take care of it.

#106 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

Really surprised about Ship's feelings on RDR. I think it's worlds above any previous R* game, or any previous sandbox game.

If you haven't finished Bonnie's yet then just keep playing. You've still only experienced a miniscule amount of the game as a whole. It picks up ten-fold after a few hours, the story especially so.

About Alan Wake's sales figures, I don't think they'll be awful but certainly not as high as it deserves. As I've said in the AW thread, I'm so impressed with Sam Lake for creating AW's universe.

Great episode overall, though.

Edited by Fjordson, 28 May 2010 - 06:13 AM.

#107 TOE THUMBS

TOE THUMBS

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

Congratulations guys for 200th shows. I've been listening since around #70 and I can tell you that the CAGcast is getting better than ever.

p.s.
Love the new logo, but am I the only one who noticed the word "ASS" right on top of Cheapy's head? It even matches with the color of his shirt!! lol can't unsee

#108 PacManster17

PacManster17

Nonstop gaming marathons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Fresh new logo! Just got finished listening a little while ago and I must say I am waiting for the next 200 more.
Posted Image

Spoiler

#109 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

If you haven't finished Bonnie's yet then just keep playing. You've still only experienced a miniscule amount of the game as a whole. It picks up ten-fold after a few hours, the story especially so.

Having not finished Bonnie's missions you could say he hasn't even started the game yet.

However, to say the story picks up right away is load of bologna. The missions leading up to the climax at Ft. Mercer are nothing but bull shit favor missions of which I feel there were way too many (I found myself being just as frustrated with Irish as john Marshton was!). Every Mission you do in Mexico with the exception of the 2nd to last and 3rd to last are nothing but run around missions helping out with the Mexican Revolution that don't advance John Marshton's story at all and you end up with nothing more than a person's hopes and promises of details on what you want to know.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the actual missions. Many of them, especially the ones involving trains, were quite fun. When it comes to the story picking up though don't expect that to happen until you are done with the missions in Mexico and you're back in Blackwater.

Riding around in this becomes less of a chore though because of the random events that take place in the game. A lot of them are really fun! I think the one I like most is the one where
Spoiler
. Plus there you can usually accomplish something like hunting, flower picking, stranger quests, etc. in between riding from point A to point B. Plus if you really do hate the riding around just throw up a camp site and fast travel to your destination.

Keep playing, Ship! This game blows GTAIV out of the fuckin' water!!!

Edited by RichMeisterMan, 28 May 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#110 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Well, I more meant the characters and their individual stories get a lot more interesting. I think the story missions get really good once you join up with the Marshall.

With any open world R* game it's mostly focused on the mission contacts and their various sub-plots until you get close to the end. Which doesn't really bother me when they're as good as RDR's, IMO. But I see what you mean - it can feel a bit scattered at times when you're doing jobs that don't directly help John's cause.

#111 weevles

weevles

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

Congrats on 200...is this the longest running video game podcast still in production? I know it's the longest video game deal podcast at least... :p

#112 souljahbill14

souljahbill14

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hey, Cheapy D,

Love your show! Recently, Michael Pachter said, "He believe the PS3 is the most awesome console, and it's far better than the XBOX 360" in his show, Pach-attack. What do you think about that?

You do know Pach's comment was laced in sarcasm, right?

#113 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

If it was a little while ago I would have said take a drink anytime Wombat did his Cosby voice and said PUDDIN POPS. I miss that gag. Anyway to bring that one back for the future?
122445.png

#114 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Congrats on the 200th show!!!!! and here's to 200 more.

I don't like the new CAGCAST Logo... it looks too small, I think that it needs to be wider so that you can see the artwork of each person. The sign looks cramped, if you look at the posts above mine.. I think that the cagcast logo should be about the width of the gamercards.
Posted Image

#115 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

added to OP

It's a Cheap Ass Hit!

Those EB Games morning update threads were awesome. Being unemployed at the time, I spent way too much money then. Here's one for example.

http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=84218

For historical accuracy, contrary to what Cheapy said on the show, at the time EB didn't guarantee case+manual for games. You would just roll the dice and pull the trigger and return it in-store if you weren't happy with it.

Also, regarding the new logo, what is that supposed to be stacked behind you? Games? It's unclear. And I know it won't look as realistic, but the money in Cheapy's hand should be Cheap Ass Green.

#116 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

I can't believe only 15k people listen to the Cagcast. A few comments:

First off, one of the reasons I listen to the CAGcast is that there are no nasal cloying nerdy Asians in it, which seem to be a staple of all other gaming podcasts.

The CAGcast is the best. I made a bunch of comments in the past, and either I got used to what you have going on or minor improvements have been made.
Some examples of stuff that has changed:

No plot summaries. Shipwreck used to talk about plot a lot but he seems to have stopped, and focussed on his personal experiences more. Far more enriching.

Less Wombat ME ME ME. I don't think Wombat is any less interested in talking about himself, but having Shipwreck dilutes Wombat to a wonderful level and forces him to increase the quality of his commentary, just because there's less space for him to say everything that comes to mind. There is no CAGcast with out the Womb, and Ship's arrival has only made him better (by ratios at least).

More poop talk! Well, I didn't ask for this, but there is definitely nothing wrong with philosophical exploration of human universals.
-----
I can't wait to hear about the CAG E3 experience.

Cheapy: Nice work ensuring that you get no head for another 3 1/2 years.

Alan Wake is on my short list thanks to you fellas. And Heavy Rain just dropped off of it.

I would bet that the attach rate for games you recommend on the CAGcast to listeners is extremely high. And I bet that the level of buzz it generates is probably more than twice the listenership through friends and recommendations. I'm happy to see companies are giving you guys credit for being influential and sending you product.

A few questions/comments for the next CAGcast:

Wombat and Cheapy like to slam the Wii as the underpowered shovelware platform that it is. I will admit I barely played with the system until my kids got old enough (around 5) to play it. Now it's their platform of choice, which I sometimes play with them. Do you think you'll use the Wii more when you're kids become old enough to play games?

Can you guys make any predictions about Shipwreck's gaming post-baby? Not that they have immediate plans, but it would be unusual for a young married couple not to have kids as part of the plan (although I couldn't blame them if they didn't want to contribute to overpopulation). Will he drop out of the podcast? Will he stop gaming? Will he sell the 'Kong? Shipwreck, what do you predict for yourself and Mrs. Ship?

Do you guys think American Jews have thicker skins than other people, as far as jokes go? A half Jew friend of mine married an Israeli and she takes things waay more seriously than we/other American Jews do. Almost as seriously as the goyishim. I got off on the wrong foot with her with this joke: "Why don't Jewish women like to give head?" --- "Too close to the gas chamber."
Posted Image

#117 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

(Emphasis mine)

You pointed out the exact reason why those user moderation systems are awful. In the vast majority of cases, posts are modded down when someone posts an opposing viewpoint, regardless of how well reasoned it may be. A moderation system should be used to discourage trolling/offensive/off topic posts, not to discourage conversation.

In practice it works pretty well. G4TV's The Feed is a battleground of fanboyism whenever video games are mentioned. Yet the normal comments are rated in the even to positive range while the "Console A Sux! Console B Rulz!" comments go into the double-digit negatives.

Edited by banodyne, 28 May 2010 - 03:32 PM.
For grammar, as always.

#118 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

I still like this one better -

Posted Image
Posted Image

#119 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

I still like this one better -

Posted Image

Niceee, I didn't understand the pedobear until I saw the basketball. Hahaha!

Ship, are you actually good at basketball?

#120 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

Niceee, I didn't understand the pedobear until I saw the basketball. Hahaha!

Ship, are you actually good at basketball?

I was the starting point guard for my high school and made the intramural all-star teams in college. I'm decent.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image