Steam: Deus Ex 1 and 2 ($2.49 each, $4.98 for both.)

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
As the Midweek Madness, it's Deus Ex 1 and 2. (Again!) Here's the front page summary:

spotlight_deus_ex_10.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/296/

Happy 10th Birthday, Deus Ex
"June 22nd marks the 10-year birthday of the hit Deus Ex. In celebration, Both Deus Ex titles are on sale for 75% off for just 24 hours."
"Offer ends 3pm Pacific time on June 23rd."

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition ($2.49, usually $9.99) [Metacritic: 90]
Deus Ex: Invisible War ($2.49, usually $9.99) [Metacritic: 80]
Both Deus Ex 1 and 2 ($4.98, usually $19.98)

I bought Deus Ex: GOTY when Steam offered it for $2.50 back in April. With the sale back, I'm wondering if I should grab Invisible War for the same price.

Sadly, the window is shorter than usual, ending on the 23rd instead of sometime Thursday or Friday.

UPDATE: DukeEdwardI has some good mod recommendations, which he shared with CAGer's during the last Deus Ex sale:

[quote name='"DukeEdwardI"'][Recommended Mods:]
New Vision Mod
Shifter Mod
The Nameless Mod

You'll need this:

Enhanced OpenGL Renderer

And keep in mind that with all mod-capable games, it takes a while to learn the process (it does with Oblivion/Fallout 3 anyway). These are the guides that I've bookmarked:

Deus Ex on Modern Systems
Deus Ex, Steam and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game, great prices. DX1 is an absolute stone cold classic. DX:IW doesn't hold a candle to the first but it's not terrible either. Easily worth $2.49 though.

"$2.49 each, $4.98 for both"

Well, at least some people are still good at math. Funny that it's even mentioned that way when it's the same as buying them separately...

Did the same thing as the OP. Picked up the first during the last sale and don't know if I should get Invisible War or not. Whatever.

Be sure to check out the mods for the first Deus Ex! These are some that caught my eye in the last Deus Ex for $2.50 deal thread:

New Vision Mod
Shifter Mod
The Nameless Mod

You'll need this:

Enhanced OpenGL Renderer

And keep in mind that with all mod-capable games, it takes a while to learn the process (it does with Oblivion/Fallout 3 anyway). These are the guides that I've bookmarked:

Deus Ex on Modern Systems
Deus Ex, Steam and You: THEY KINDA WORK TOGETHER

Hope this is helpful to people new Deus Ex like me.

Always wanted to try Deus Ex, now's mah chance! Thanks OP, nice find. I know I don't check steam too regularly and would have missed this opportunity.

I loved Invisible War. It is short and a bit more focused than the first. I've played it multiple times.

yes you should get it.

Aw, man! I paid $5.00 for the collection on April 20. If I had waited just two months, I could have saved two cents!

[quote name='Decker']Aw, man! I paid $5.00 for the collection on April 20. If I had waited just two months, I could have saved two cents![/QUOTE]

Yeah sucks to be you man, I'm enjoying having the games for a measly $2.49 a piece. Yeah, that's right.

I wish I had the time to work on my backlog. Perhaps these prices will surface again during the Holiday Sale - Maybe by then, I'll have beaten the original.

By the way, D. Ed I, I added your recommendations to the first post; They were helpful the last time around, so it's definitely good info to have at the top of the page.

I've been trying to save money. On the other hand, it's $4.98, and I regretted missing the last sale. Dang!

Thanks for the heads up, I never remember to check the Steam store unless CAG tells me to. Picked up both in anticipation of part 3 later this year.

Definitely gonna grab this... I've been itching to replay the first Deus Ex since the new one was announced. Probably gonna grab Deus Ex: IW as well. Had it for my Xbox, but I might actually enjoy it more on the PC.

The first game blew my freaking mind back in the day but I remember not being able to play the second one because it ran like shit on my computer so I bought both. Definitely going to play them both before the new one is out.

Considering all the good things I've heard about Deus Ex, I think I'll jump on this. I honestly won't get to them for awhile with the insane backlog I have at the moment, but it's worth $5 to add these to my collection. Thanks OP.

Dammit, I don't have time for all these awesome games. But you can't say no to DX 1&2 for $5, especially since I've never played them.

If I didn't already own them both on Steam (and multiple copies of each on disc), I would buy the pack in a heartbeat. If you like video games, and have a functioning brain cell, you will too. Also, check out http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ for some useful utilities and mods, including widescreen support and a nice DirectX 10 renderer. Works like a charm. BUY IT.

is invisible war worth playing through??? eehhhh eff it I bought it anyway chances are I'll never play it though. My backlog is still piling up.

fuck. I already the GOTY edition from when I bought it back in 2000 or 01 and I have IW sitting in a pristine box on a shelf. And now I'm going to buy them both again because I love the series sooo damned much and will excuse this because this allows me to have access to the game anytime I want without having to go grab the disc and fish for no-cd cracks.

Damn you Steam for putting stuff on sale that I'm going to be tempted into doubledipping on.

own hard copies of both.. IW runs like ass on my PC.. make them compatible with my Mac and you can have $5.. hell, I'll pay $10. I love Deus Ex.

Please, if you are reading this, play Deus Ex if you haven't already. I got it for free with a sound card about 8 years ago, and I bought it again for $5 on the last steam sale. I would have paid $50 if I had to because it is so good.

I bought Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition - PC, $2.49 on Steam . Great price on a great game . I own The Invisible War on Xbox (still sealed, actually) , which is why I didn't buy that one as well .

[quote name='Scorch']own hard copies of both.. IW runs like ass on my PC.. make them compatible with my Mac and you can have $5.. hell, I'll pay $10. I love Deus Ex.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I had no idea they ported this to Mac. Hopefully they'll bring this to Mac steamside soon.

I'm hoping they just do a HD cleanup of it for XBL before the new one comes out. Anyone think that may happen?

[quote name='SkyMasterson']Nice, I had no idea they ported this to Mac. Hopefully they'll bring this to Mac steamside soon.

I'm hoping they just do a HD cleanup of it for XBL before the new one comes out. Anyone think that may happen?[/QUOTE]

Possible but highly unlikely since it's a completely different company making the new Deus Ex and it would take a good deal of time to clean it up and port it over to the 360. Now a PS2 version cleaned up for the PS3 has a slightly better chance ... but that version pales in comparison to the PC version.

This might be blasphemy, but I would love for someone to take on a remake of Deus Ex, ideally with Warren Spector's involvement, though he's off playing with Disney now. I don't want a prequel or sequel ... I want an exact remake of the original Deus Ex with the same storyline but using modern graphics and minor tweaks to the gameplay while maintaining the fps / rpg balance the original game did so well.

The story by far is the best part of Deus Ex and this franchise is one of the few that could be fully updated to today's standards and wouldn't lose anything in the process, unlike the way Fallout or X-com purists tend to criticize the newer iterations of those two series.

[quote name='Jqwerty'] I got it for free with a sound card about 8 years ago[/QUOTE]

Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer 5.1

Also came with Unreal Tournament and Thief 3. Box just happens to be sitting on my floor right now... :D

Yeah, I bit on this just now. I never played the Original Deus Ex. I used to have IW for Xbox, but I don't think I ever finished it because the system died and I didnt want to start over.

Anybody running DX1 on a EEE 1000HA or similar? I've heard it should run but the docu online is spotty. Any experiences on a Netbook would be appreciated.

I hate to admit that this game for some reason always falls down on my list of things to play. To be fair, my original introduction was based specifically around the PS2 version [of Deus Ex] and for one reason or another I always got sidetracked whenever I began a new game. Hopefully now that I'll finally be able to play this game the way it was meant to played (I don't say that very often) I'll cherish it as so many do.

Never played a Dues Ex games but picked up the 2-pack because of all the positive reviews in this thread.

Thanks op.

[quote name='vanlandw']Anybody running DX1 on a EEE 1000HA or similar? I've heard it should run but the docu online is spotty. Any experiences on a Netbook would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Should be no problem on a netbook. I'm pretty sure I played it on mine, but I can't remember actually. It's the original UT engine so it should be no problem.

I have the original release of Deus Ex sitting in front of me on my desk (literally) but I'm debating grabbing the 2-pack on Steam for convenience's sake.

Also, is there any new content in the "Game of the Year Edition" besides multiplayer??

[quote name='tcolberg']fuck. I already the GOTY edition from when I bought it back in 2000 or 01 and I have IW sitting in a pristine box on a shelf. And now I'm going to buy them both again because I love the series sooo damned much and will excuse this because this allows me to have access to the game anytime I want without having to go grab the disc and fish for no-cd cracks.

Damn you Steam for putting stuff on sale that I'm going to be tempted into doubledipping on.[/QUOTE]

I know what site we're on, but are you seriously whining about two dollars and fifty cents depreciating the value of something you bought ten years ago?

[quote name='Gameboy415']I have the original release of Deus Ex sitting in front of me on my desk (literally) but I'm debating grabbing the 2-pack on Steam for convenience's sake.

Also, is there any new content in the "Game of the Year Edition" besides multiplayer??[/QUOTE]

Looks like it originally came with a CD soundtrack, all the game updates and a fake newspaper clipping. No soundtrack these days and maybe a PDF of the newspaper, so basically, "no" to answer your question.

bread's done
Back