Photo
- - - - -

StarCraft I - Battlechest for $9.99 + Free Digital Download XP/Vista/Mac OS X

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

Whoa. It's probably multiplayer only though right? For me I basically just played single player, save for maybe a dozen matches with friends.

Yeah it's just the multiplayer, and I'm all about competitive play so don't let me rain on your parade. It's a still a fine game, just feels a little more tame -- if that makes any sense.

I really want to play the campaigns but I just might hold out out until the entire trilogy is released.

UjCoyFa.png

#32 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

I've read a few articles on the subject. Nothing delineates it clearly (i.e. we won't use securom), but it sounds like homegrown battle.net protection, not securom. No copy/seat activation limits have been discussed.

Home grown battle net would be more acceptable.

#33 cherdman

cherdman

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Holy smokes! I found my old StarCraft disc buried in my garage. Downloading now! :bouncy:

#34 Isurus

Isurus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

i tried entering in my old cd key and it said it was invalid. lame!

#35 cherdman

cherdman

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

i tried entering in my old cd key and it said it was invalid. lame!

Make sure you go to "Add or Upgrade a Game" and not "Item Code Redemption"

#36 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

I assumed this online key activation was known but glad to see so many people tying their keys to a b.net account. I'm all about the digital movement. Shoot, if SC2 didn't want to push retail first, I would go digital all the way (plus I'm getting the CE so doesn't matter). First thing I did to my Macbook when I got it was remove the disc drive to slap in another HDD lol.

I assume SC2 guys will be able to digitally d/l the client via retail keys shortly after release instead of only way is to buy from blizzard store directly for digital d/l.
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
i5-2500k@4.2Ghz; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#37 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:42 AM

If you're having problems with the video not looking right (messed up colors),
go into the properties of their the game's executable, or the shortcut to it,
go to the "Compatibility Tab", and check the box "Run in 256 Colors".

I tried this with my copy of Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition, and it also
works.

#38 V878

V878

Let's hug it out

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

And it makes it a rental. Starcraft is one of those games I obviously want to be able to play decades in the future too. The original hasn't gotten any less fun in 12 years...

How would you go about renting this game? Are you renting a battle.net account from someone?

#39 TurboPascal

TurboPascal

No Guts No Glory!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:20 AM

Wow! This is awesome!

My old disk had been damaged after many years of play and did not really want to purchase another copy since I play mostly on consoles these days.

This is awesome because this will make me play again!

Anyone know if the manuals are also online? (its been a very long time!)

Never mind, Blizzard has it online and google is your friend!

#40 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

works.

That fix does not always work see my above instructions for a more reliable one.

#41 bigwightdog

bigwightdog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

works.

I think my colors are fine in XP SP3. Well, fine may not be the right word...they are sometimes ugly, but I think its the original color!

BTW, I saw an article on Kotaku about all the mods that have already been made with the SCII game editor...including Asteroids...uh oh, SCII is starting to tempt me again. Somebody hold me back!

Another thought based on the previous issue of whether the d/l will continue to be online or not. I was looking at Blizzard and Battle.net web sites and its real clear that they have discontinued support for the previous product shortly after releasing the sequel. For example, Diablo went away after Diablo II and WCII Battle.net went away after WCIII. I think it is VERY likely they will stop supporting (which likely means taking the download down) SCI a short period of time (2-3 months at most) after releasing SCII.

Obviously no hard evidence for this, but looking at the past pattern and how Activision/Blizzard does business, its quite likely.

#42 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

BTW, I saw an article on Kotaku about all the mods that have already been made with the SCII game editor...including Asteroids...uh oh, SCII is starting to tempt me again. Somebody hold me back!

That's what finally pushed me over the edge to make the purchase. I was originally planning on waiting, but I saw that article, and dell sold SCII for $45 yesterday morning, and I just couldn't pass it up.
To each his own.

#43 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

I just found my old Starcraft and Diablo II games in a BAWLS box I keep most of old pc jewel cases inside. It was promoting the old ps2 game RLH or Run Like Hell "Grab your BAWLS and run like hell!". Created a new battle.net account and added Starcraft and Diablo II thanks op!

Edited by evildeadjedi, 23 July 2010 - 09:00 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:57 PM

I think my colors are fine in XP SP3. Well, fine may not be the right word...they are sometimes ugly, but I think its the original color!

Another thought based on the previous issue of whether the d/l will continue to be online or not. I was looking at Blizzard and Battle.net web sites and its real clear that they have discontinued support for the previous product shortly after releasing the sequel. For example, Diablo went away after Diablo II and WCII Battle.net went away after WCIII. I think it is VERY likely they will stop supporting (which likely means taking the download down) SCI a short period of time (2-3 months at most) after releasing SCII.

Obviously no hard evidence for this, but looking at the past pattern and how Activision/Blizzard does business, its quite likely.

On windows 7 you get a screen full of flashing pixles if you dont use the reg fix. and as far as blizzard support goes it is with the exception of valve the BEST in the business. you can still play diablo 1 on battle net and they regularly release patches for all of their games.

#45 SchmidtA99

SchmidtA99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

Does anyone else have the problem of starcraft locking up at various times. Where you have to physically reboot your computer. My computer is doing this and I searched about it. And some people are saying its a direct draw problem with windows 7. I've tried compatibility mode and it fixed the colors. I've also tried the batch mode fix where it shuts down explorer.

But it still locks up at random intervals. Anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour. And I have a decent computer phenom 9600, 4gb ram, radeon 3870 video card. And all drivers are updated. Any help would be appreciated.

#46 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:07 AM

Did you try the regedit hack I described gor diablo it works for sc as well

#47 Interfeci

Interfeci

ASSIMILATE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

Korea now loves the OP.
PEW PEW PEW.

#48 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

For those with problems, are you running the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

#49 monogoat

monogoat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Does the battlechest come with both brood war and starcraft keys? So I could make an extra battle.net account, put 1 key on my account and put the other key on the new account and have the whole deal on both accounts? If so I'm in, then I can just let a friend use the other account when they want to play against me.

#50 SchmidtA99

SchmidtA99

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm running 32-bit windows 7. I've tried the batch file, it still locked up. I downloaded the registry edit fix by warlord_7. The installable version someone made of it. The game still locked up. I've tried several combination of using compatibility mode. I even tried xp mode. But you cant change the screen resolution in xp mode.

I have a couple desktop gadgets running. One for the weather and one showing memory/cpu usage. Would those be my problem?

#51 MrDarkstorm

MrDarkstorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, StarCraft locked up for me every hour or so. It is pain to deal with.

#52 bigwightdog

bigwightdog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

Does the battlechest come with both brood war and starcraft keys? So I could make an extra battle.net account, put 1 key on my account and put the other key on the new account and have the whole deal on both accounts? If so I'm in, then I can just let a friend use the other account when they want to play against me.

Broodwar doesn't really have it's own key, so my guess is you would only get one out of the Battlechest.

#53 DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

I got the Battlechest from this deal and can confirm there is only one key in the package. It's for StarCraft but it allows you to download Broodwar as well. I believe every copy of StarCraft now qualifies for the digital download of Broodwar, if you still have your key.

#54 Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

There is no fix for the freezing issues in Windows 7.

There is a workaround, however, and that is to use chaoslauncher with the game and use the included window mode. This will prevent any freezing.

#55 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Whelp, I picked up a used copy for $1.98 at Half Priced books, and finally got around to trying to activate it on Battle.net, and it works! Hoorah!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#56 MrBigShot

MrBigShot

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

Sorry I have a Starcraft 2 question. Will my copy I have pre-ordered work on both my mac and pc. Like can I use my one copy to put it on both or do I need 2 separate copies of the game.

#57 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP.

$10 Code for buying NSMB WII + Prime shipping = Free Starcraft for me :D
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#58 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, OP! I haven't played Diablo II or Starcraft in AGES, let alone online via Battle.net, so I would never have known about this. Now, to dig up my Diablo II and Starcraft Battlechests from the garage...

#59 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, OP! I haven't played Diablo II or Starcraft in AGES, let alone online via Battle.net, so I would never have known about this. Now, to dig up my Diablo II and Starcraft Battlechests from the garage...

You keep garbage in your room for ages? OCD?

#60 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

You keep garbage in your room for ages? OCD?

Reading comprehension for the loss. :roll:
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]