CAGcast #206: The Star Wars of Your Generation

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]This week's show features discussion of Limbo, Deathspank, new Xbox 360 hardware, Dead Space 2, and Inception. We've also got the latest gaming and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and much more!

Listen to learn how to win 1 of 20 Medal of Honor beta codes!

[podcast]115[/podcast]
Download - 99 minutes, 60MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had listened to this one already because Mega64 used the Inception soundtrack for the theme song on their podcast earlier this week.

Yeah, I've heard the Inception theme on four or five podcasts this week so far. :lol:

With the whole price thing, I find it odd that Wombat constantly goes to the "I can buy all of these old games" argument. If you're going out for lobster, do you think of how many McDonald's hamburgers that you could buy for the same price? I just think it's strange to compare a new game to cheap three year old games that no one wants to play anymore.

At that point, why buy any new games at all? If you only had 60 dollars, your money is always best spent buying used games. Why buy Halo Reach when you can get Halo 3, ODST and Halo Wars for the same price? That's three times more Halo!

I have not played Limbo yet, but I could see it's lack of story being like certain paintings in which it's not clearly defined, and it could be interpreted differently by each person that sees/plays it. Such as each person could make up their own story for the game, rather than have it be spelled out completely for them, with the chance of the person absolutely hating the story. Instead you have a fun artistic game that you can let your imagination run wild with.

This was a really good show, aside from Cheapy rambling on about his newly purchased iPhone 4 and iPad, in which he summed up as "I like it". That was somewhat annoying.

Decent show this week. I can't agree with you more CheapyD about how the older Star Wars movies still hold up while the others...well.... Also, looking forward to the Shipwreck's Dance Central video review.

[quote name='firehawk12']Yeah, I've heard the Inception theme on four or five podcasts this week so far. :lol:

With the whole price thing, I find it odd that Wombat constantly goes to the "I can buy all of these old games" argument. If you're going out for lobster, do you think of how many McDonald's hamburgers that you could buy for the same price? I just think it's strange to compare a new game to cheap three year old games that no one wants to play anymore.

At that point, why buy any new games at all? If you only had 60 dollars, your money is always best spent buying used games. Why buy Halo Reach when you can get Halo 3, ODST and Halo Wars for the same price? That's three times more Halo![/QUOTE]

The difference between video games and Lobster Vs. McDonalds is similarity. Most video games released today are not so different from the games released ten years ago. You'll see the same basic design concepts in every game released for the last ten years. So buying a game that's only three years old isn't a major step down from a game released today. Just look at the reviews released lately, Singularity is like Bioshock, Darksiders is like Zelda, Dante's Inferno is like God of War, Bayonetta is like Devil May Cry, etc.

[quote name='collipop']Cheapy was acting like there was no story at ALL in limbo however there was. Quite clearly you have gone into the forest to find your sister as shown by the very beginning intro sequence where you see her in the forest.[/QUOTE]

And you know that's his sister how exactly?

[quote name='Broken Cage']The difference between video games and Lobster Vs. McDonalds is similarity. Most video games released today are not so different from the games released ten years ago. You'll see the same basic design concepts in every game released for the last ten years. So buying a game that's only three years old isn't a major step down from a game released today. Just look at the reviews released lately, Singularity is like Bioshock, Darksiders is like Zelda, Dante's Inferno is like God of War, Bayonetta is like Devil May Cry, etc.[/QUOTE]

To me, bargain bin games are the 1 dollar McDonald hamburgers of gaming. Either I've already played the games or they're the games no one would ever want to play anyway.

Or how about this - why watch Inception when you can probably rent Batman Begins, Prestige and the Dark Knight for the same price? You can watch three Nolan movies for the price of one.

Or why buy a 360 when you can buy a PS2 and probably 10-20 games for the same price? Why buy a new 50" TV when you can get several 20" TVs for the same price? Where do you draw the line on these kinds of comparisons?

If you are comparing a new game to another new game in terms of "price", then maybe I would accept that argument, even if I think arguing based on price is rather silly - Limbo is 1/4 the price of Singularity, so is Limbo 1/4 as "good" as Singularity? - at least that argument is more apples to apples.

I mean, I look for bargains just like everyone else who posts on CAG, but Wombat's price comparisons don't make any sense to me.

Really wanting to play Limbo if only for the atmosphere. Not big on puzzle platformers so I may wait for a discount that they normally do for Arcade games.

And I'm shocked you thought the fight scenes in the Matrix were better Cheapy. To me they felt overly choreographed to the point where it looked terribly fake, and the way they moved and jumped around took me out of the movie. Just...didn't look all that good. Oh well, to each their own.

Great podcast. Thanks for the MoH beta code giveaway!

I preordered my copy at GameStop for the Xbox to get a Medal of Honor beta code and they didn't have any codes left so I haven't gotten a chance to play the beta despite meeting their requirements.

The best part about the destination arcade sorting is being able to sort XBLA games by single player vs. multiplayer titles, then local vs. online, then how many players and still yet Competitive vs. Co-op.

So you can have have your friends over and literally see what games are available that you can all play together or against each other. It is really cool for when you and your friends are bored and want something else to do.

That right there is worth the 30 second load time. Beyond that, if I know what I want to purchase, there is no way way I would boot up that program to do so. Also, perhaps I am just dumb, but I can't figure out how to look at the in game screen shots while I am in Destination Arcade.

...and Limbo is too much money. I understand the argument that it is art and art should cost more, but I disagree with it. $60 is the cap on retail games. $10 should be the cap on XBLA titles. I don't pay more for a movie ticket when a movie has better reviews or is considered art. I would pay the same price to see Pan's Labyrinth or Inception that I would to see Dude Where's My Car or Grown Ups.

As much as I love Castlevania: SOTN, it opened the door for bigger XBLA that now feel they can charge more thereby ruining the arcade-like feel of dropping $5-10 to screw around with a game because I am too lazy to get up and get a disk. $5-10 is reasonable (2-4 games for a 1600 point card), $15 is a carefully considered investment (1 1600 point card with change).

Christopher Nolan's movies seem to be some of the only movies that i think about for days after i see them. Anybody have suggestions for a similar director/ writer?

Nice CAGCast. Haven't listened to one in while and forgot how great they are. Definitely want to play Limbo too and will stick with the demo for now.

In Limbo your supposed to save some girl and there isn't a story and it's only 3 to 5 hours. What about Shadow of the Colossus? Your supposed to save a girl and if you haven't played Ico there isn't much of a story and its only about 5 to 8 hours long but it was 50$. It was worth it but isn't it about the same concept just with slightly different pricing? Am I wrong? In Limbo you solve puzzles but aren't the Colossus just like big puzzles I mean you have to figure out how each one has to be beaten.

and Shipwreck a code with be cool.

[quote name='Jackhole85']I just listened to the part about Limbo. And there actually is a story to it, he's looking for his sister. And while that may not be very deep, I think a plumber looking for a princess that got taken by turtles isn't very deep either.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/00000001-0000-4000-8000-0000584109d1

It says so in the game description[/QUOTE]

Took the words right out of my fingers. You have to read CheapyD!

Cheapy and company, there is a story, it's just left open for interpretation. Now that you know the boy is looking for his sister, I'm sure you now have some point of reference for the game's action. The ending is not unlike The Sopranos' ending. Also, minor spoiler to help you piece the ending together...

Watch the ending through the credits. When you're back to the menu screen, do you notice something different in the background? There are flies buzzing around the area where you found your sister/the game ended.

[quote name='FecesBreath']Took the words right out of my fingers. You have to read CheapyD!

Cheapy and company, there is a story, it's just left open for interpretation. Now that you know the boy is looking for his sister, I'm sure you now have some point of reference for the game's action. The ending is not unlike The Sopranos' ending. Also, minor spoiler to help you piece the ending together...

Watch the ending through the credits. When you're back to the menu screen, do you notice something different in the background? There are flies buzzing around the area where you found your sister/the game ended.
[/QUOTE]

Never noticed that, i just checked it and you are right :)

Good show, guys! Wombat, you seem to be excited for Shattered Dimensions, are you glad they went back to all of the old voice actors from various Spidey shows for each of the Spider-men? And I'm with Ship, the one game I'm really looking forward to Kinect for is Dance Central, but other than that, I don't really care for it. I'll definitely be waiting for a pricedrop on Kinect.

I throughly enjoyed this event or podcast.

p.s. Wombat. Embargo's are a RESULT of competition.

Enjoyed Limbo even at $15 but agree with Shipwreck that $10 would have been better. We will problably see these titles half price next year right befor the next years summer of arcade if you don't mind the wait. Anyway great show as always, even better if I can score a beta code for my friend. Already got mine with the Gamestop pre-order.

Shippy, of all the reviews you've done, some guy called you out on a PSP mini? So weird. You're doing fine work, don't worry about it.

Btw, Limbo is awesome. Some puzzles are so tricky!

Every time I hear about Limbo, I can't help but remember Limbo of the Lost and that catchy end credits song. Also, I'd like a beta code!

I'm pretty disappointed that Ultimate Spider-Man's gimmick in Shattered Dimensions is the symbiote costume.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that $15 for Limbo is too expensive, and I'm annoyed because $10 used to be the standard for XBLA games. This is what stopped me from buying the two $15 Modern Warfare 2 map packs as well, and I'm concerned that 1200 points will be the new standard for DLC in the future. From all the summer XBLA games, Castlevania is the only one that interests me at the moment.

Good show. And I enjoyed Inception as well, although it is definitely a film you need to pay attention to understand.

I had to look over at Gamefaqs after Shipwreck mentioned he wrote a couple of FAQs. His DOA FAQ is an item-related FAQ while his Chase FAQ is the only game walkthrough.

Wombat, I'm surprised you didn't call out the Sly Cooper collection for being too expensive. You can probably buy these games for the PS2 for $5 or less a piece. Granted you can't play them on the newer PS3's, but still.

Another great show guys, and thanks for answering my question. I'll decide whether or not Limbo gets my 1200 spacebucks after playing the trial.

Thanks for a great start to the weekend. Still loving Wombat's musical accompaniment during the commercials.

I agree with Shipwreck & Wombat that we shouldn't be supporting $15 3 hour games. I just think Limbo would have easily sold at least 33% more at $10...but what do I know :D

great show again, my friend says medal of honor beta is awesome and very different from bad company 2 but i don't believe him, hes a big fan boy, besides the multiplayer is being made by dice so it must be the same. Please consider me for winning one of the MOH beta codes, and keep up the great work!

Awesome show guys! I was also disappointed on how they change the ewok song at the end. I'm glad that you put the original song at the end of this show. :)

[quote name='firehawk12']To me, bargain bin games are the 1 dollar McDonald hamburgers of gaming. Either I've already played the games or they're the games no one would ever want to play anyway.

Or how about this - why watch Inception when you can probably rent Batman Begins, Prestige and the Dark Knight for the same price? You can watch three Nolan movies for the price of one.

Or why buy a 360 when you can buy a PS2 and probably 10-20 games for the same price? Why buy a new 50" TV when you can get several 20" TVs for the same price? Where do you draw the line on these kinds of comparisons?

If you are comparing a new game to another new game in terms of "price", then maybe I would accept that argument, even if I think arguing based on price is rather silly - Limbo is 1/4 the price of Singularity, so is Limbo 1/4 as "good" as Singularity? - at least that argument is more apples to apples.

I mean, I look for bargains just like everyone else who posts on CAG, but Wombat's price comparisons don't make any sense to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument here. I agree with every point you've made, but I come to a different conclusion. I hardly ever buy new games and never pay full price. The only time I ever buy new releases is for multiplayer games to play with my friends on a level playing field or single player games in a series where I want to experience the next part of the story. Otherwise, Bioshock will be the same if I buy it day 1 at $60 or years later at less than $20. Nearly every game will drop in price eventually, but outside of mutliplayer populations drying up, it will never drop in value.

I really can't see myself spending $15 on Limbo, at $10 I'd probably bite, just not feeling it completely from the trial...

bread's done
Back