Nintendo DSi $149.99 / DSi XL $169.99 - Universal Price Drop Starts 9/12

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Effective Sept. 12, the new suggested retail price of the Nintendo DSi system will be $149.99, while the new suggested retail price for the Nintendo DSi XL system will be $169.99. The Nintendo DS™ Lite model will remain at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The press release in full continues below.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is dropping the suggested retail price of its Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ video game systems. Effective Sept. 12, the new suggested retail price of the Nintendo DSi system will be $149.99, while the new suggested retail price for the Nintendo DSi XL system will be $169.99. The Nintendo DS™ Lite model will remain at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The Nintendo DS family of video game systems is the best-selling in the history of the U.S. and worldwide. The new prices offer consumers tremendous value for their money while providing access to the best portable video game experiences possible.

“We know shoppers want to get the maximum value out of every dollar they spend,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Our new Nintendo DSi prices make it easier than ever for consumers to access the tremendous variety of games, applications and social tools on the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems.”
The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems offer consumers access to more than 1,300 packaged games and more than 200 downloadable games. Both systems feature two built-in cameras and photo- and sound-manipulation software that provide for a more social experience. Users can wirelessly upload photos to Facebook with the touch of a button (wireless broadband Internet access required). The Nintendo DSi XL system, which features a screen that is 93 percent larger than that of the Nintendo DS Lite, comes pre-loaded with software like Brain Age™ Express: Math, Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Flipnote Studio™, Photo Clock and the Nintendo DSi Browser.

Through the end of July, total Nintendo DS family hardware sales are more than 42.3 million in the United States alone, according to the NPD Group. Recent and upcoming software releases for the Nintendo DS family of systems include DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ (now available), Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™ (Sept. 12), Pokémon™ Ranger: Guardian Signs (Oct. 4), Art Academy™ (Oct. 25), Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem! (Nov. 14) and Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn (Nov. 29).

Remember that Nintendo DSi features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendodsi.com.
About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.4 billion video games and more than 565 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at www.nintendo.com.

Edited by CheapyD, 30 August 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#2 dallow

dallow

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

About time. Other regions got their cuts a while back.

#3 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Dayum!

I just bought two DSi XL at Target last week, to take advantage of the free Pokemon games...

Will Target return me the difference? I have my receipt.

#4 Ccl

Ccl

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yes, just take your receipt to Customer Service. They barcode scan it and the register does all the work. Of course, read the back of the receipt to see how long your return/price match window actually is

#5 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Thanks!

#6 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Sounds like a certain company is getting ready for a 3DS price announcement...

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

#7 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

still no price drop on the lite, wow

#8 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

Not bad.

Drop it to $50 and maybe I'll grab one to compliment my PSP.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#9 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

This

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Titanfall  :360: Batman: Arkham Origins   :ps3: Ni No Kuni    :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (FC-0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#10 threefiftyzzz

threefiftyzzz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

sweet..! i was gonna pick one up for my sons bday in oct.!
Posted Image

#11 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Dayum!

I just bought two DSi XL at Target last week, to take advantage of the free Pokemon games...

Will Target return me the difference? I have my receipt.

It depends on what it says on the receipt...it if is like most of their free promotions, they bundled the sale with both items and lower the selling price of the non free item by the value of the free item and sell the free item at regular price. Also Target only matches price drops for I believe for 7 days after purchase, and these price drops won't happen for two weeks.

#12 F-Zero

F-Zero

Show me your moves!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

You know what this means... sell em now before people find out about 3ds!

#13 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

I would have thought the Lite would drop to $99.99 for this. I think this just opened the door to price the 3DS at $199.99. It would seem silly to have the DSiXL at $190 with the 3DS $10 more.

#14 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

I'm still thankful that I grabbed my DSi XL at its release... my favorite handheld ever.

#15 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

I would guess that they're slotting the $199.99 price point for the 3DS, which would make it an easier sell over the DSi XL, though not as much from the DSi.

#16 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

I scored the XL for like 135 after tax at Game Crazy during their closing. It's a good system, but I had to settle for the ugly red color. The blue one looks really good.

#17 seanmcc

seanmcc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

Playing on a xl is super sexy.

Get one while they last! Even the 3DS screen seems small by comparison.

#18 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

That's great news! My Zelda DS Lite is still going strong, but I might buy an XL if the Black Friday bundles are really good.

...Although, I would probably be better off waiting for the 3DS to be released. They'd have to lower the prices even more. Right?
Posted Image

#19 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I got my XL for $111 from Warehouse deals. They could get even cheaper once this price drop hits, and cheaper still when the 3DS hits. be on the lookout.
Posted Image

#20 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

*sigh* My DS Phat just won't die.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#21 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

take advantage of the plus $20 trade in credit towards GAmestop
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#22 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

I'm still thankful that I grabbed my DSi XL at its release... my favorite handheld ever.

This.
Posted Image

#23 Xiemos

Xiemos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hmm, I bought a XL about 3 weeks ago from Amazon at $189.99. Played it for 10 minutes at most because I haven't had the time. Wondering if I should return it while I still can and wait ~2 weeks and save $20...

Anyone know if Amazon charges a restocking fee or anything like that on handhelds?

#24 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

*sigh* My DS Phat just won't die.

Same here. It's still going strong for over 5 years now. Now that the kids are starting to play it more though I'd like to get an XL for myself.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#25 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

I hope this drops DS Lite prices somehow...I don't really care for the DSi or XL since they can't play GBA games. on the other hand, it may mean 3DS this year? That would be a tough choice, if the 3DS is $199.

#26 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Is it just me, or do these prices still feel ridiculously expensive compared to what you get with the major consoles?

#27 robbyH

robbyH

The King of EVILLLLL!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I know, If I was going to get a DS, I would get the lite for it's GBA backwards compatibility.

#28 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Is it just me, or do these prices still feel ridiculously expensive compared to what you get with the major consoles?

it's not just you. This is N64 hardware and it's a downgrade from the DS Lite because of the missing GBA slot. They can keep it high though because the DS is the best selling console on the market at the moment.

#29 1NintendoFan

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Awesome. This tempts me even more to getting a DSi XL before the 3DS comes out :bouncy:

Even better yet, hopefully this is preparation for pricing on the 3DS and maybe it will come out at the $189 of the current DSi XL, but then I may be dreaming :drool:

Thanks for posting!

#30 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

Not bad.

Drop it to $50 and maybe I'll grab one to compliment my PSP.

just a hunch, but if you did that, i think your psp would quickly become the complimentary system

i agree with others here.. i bet nintendo is clearing a spot under 200 bucks for the 3ds to slot into. i wish there would be an xl version of it, but as far as i know those screens arent available in larger sizes yet. ..i just hope the 3ds doesnt cramp my hands as bad as the ds lite does