Nintendo DSi $149.99 / DSi XL $169.99 - Universal Price Drop Starts 9/12

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

:D That's the same way I feel. I have tried not to buy games, but that has not worked out so well. I'm still working on my backlog, but I keep adding new games as well.

I have decided that I will most likely stop buying new games at the end of this generation. This was actually the first generation of systems I bought systems while they were still in their prime as I usually waited until they were nearly done. I have a lot of games to get caught up on, so depending on the next gen systems and/or if they go download only, I think I may hold off for a while.

But, for now, I'm going to keep buying stuff that I don't really need... First up, the DSi Xl, followed by the 3DS :bouncy:

I have a ton of DS games and have gotten a ton of use out of the system so it was in no way a bad purchase for me but with the way Nintendo is releasing system after system I think it would be best for me to wait until at least the 2nd revision of the 3DS to get another one. I have a lite and I skipped over the whole DSi Generation.

About consoles I don't need I just bought a PS2 (a working one for a very very low price) and I am about to blow $300 on the newest iPod touch (though at least half of this is being paid for with giftcards). Not to mention all the PS2 games I am about to blow money on, although they are all $10 or less per game. I haven't bought any portable electronics since 2007 though and I don't have a cell phone and I did skip over the DSi generation so the iPod is kind of justified, at least I can justify it that way, haha.

For the PS2 its the first PS2 I owned, never owned it before. I feel kind of silly walking into gamestop and buying $2 eyetoy games (and other cheap games) but meh, cheap fun is cheap fun.

I just don't see the point in buying a DSi, it has nothing that would add to the experience of playing games for me, and DSi ware is nothing I am interested in especially since its game are crappy, expensive and locked to one console and you can't get them back if you lose your console or upgrade. It also doesn't have a GBA slot which I need since I am a huge fan of the Pokemon RPG games.

I really don't need to buy anymore modern consoles, since I am truly overloaded with games.

#62 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Don't forget you can always trade in whatever DS system you have to GameStop toward a new one. They usually run a special when the new systems come out so you get a fair amount back.

#63 Cyborger

Cyborger

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

Dang! I was hoping the price of the DS Lite would go down.

#64 RoyalT7

RoyalT7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm waiting for the 3DS. Still love my DS lite.

#65 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

There are plenty of good games on the DS, but if you like FPS and sports games there isn't much for you. DS is mostly for RPG's, Nintendo Franchise games and minigames. Ipod touch is better for minigames since it costs a lot less to buy games and you can get tons of free games plus demo's for nearly every game, so if you want shovelware and short games better off going with that so you don't have to pay $20-40 for each one, plus you get all the other functions of the iPod touch. You can get a decent iPod touch for the price of a DSi XL these days and the games are much much cheaper on the touch. Most people I know and most kids I know have dumped the DS for an iPod touch or iPhone if their parents buy it for them. Even if you buy DS games at rock bottom prices and resell them when you are done with them you are still losing more per game than what you would spend for iPod touch games, I know because I have been there and back, plus its a lot of work to do this and to get the lowest prices on DS games that aren't bootlegs.

Yes there are tons of good games on the DS, those games are harder to find in stores than the shovelware which store shelves are lined with, if you want the good games you have to research and buy them online. If you do this you will be satisfied with the DS.

I don't like the DSi XL cause its really heavy, the DS Lite is heavy enough for me to hold, and buying the XL would make it almost impossible for me to hold and play it since its so heavy.

#66 Fernando Rocker

Fernando Rocker

Nintendo Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:08 PM

There are plenty of good games on the DS, but if you like FPS and sports games there isn't much for you. DS is mostly for RPG's, Nintendo Franchise games and minigames. Ipod touch is better for minigames since it costs a lot less to buy games and you can get tons of free games plus demo's for nearly every game, so if you want shovelware and short games better off going with that so you don't have to pay $20-40 for each one, plus you get all the other functions of the iPod touch. You can get a decent iPod touch for the price of a DSi XL these days and the games are much much cheaper on the touch. Most people I know and most kids I know have dumped the DS for an iPod touch or iPhone if their parents buy it for them. Even if you buy DS games at rock bottom prices and resell them when you are done with them you are still losing more per game than what you would spend for iPod touch games, I know because I have been there and back, plus its a lot of work to do this and to get the Posted Imagelowest prices on DS games that aren't bootlegs.

Yes there are tons of good games on the DS, those games are harder to find in stores than the shovelware which store shelves are lined with, if you want the good games you have to research and buy them online. If you do this you will be satisfied with the DS.

I don't like the DSi XL cause its really heavy, the DS Lite is heavy enough for me to hold, and buying the XL would make it almost impossible for me to hold and play it since its so heavy.

You said "heavy" more times than Marty McFly...

Nah... it's not heavy... you probably are weak.

#67 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

You're heavy I bet

#68 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Yes, it's heavy. Noticed how just about any promotional video from Nintendo usually has an old lady playing her DSi XL on a table ('cause it's heavy!)

Some games look better than others, but it is not a fully portable system. This damn thing doesn't even fit into a psp case (not even the old fat model case). Bulky and heavy.

#69 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

I got the DSi on day 1 and it is worth every penny for one thing alone, the bigger screen. I spent tons of time on games like Dragon Quest IX, Mario Luigi, Pokemon, and Strange Journey. There is no way I am going back to the small screen of DS Lite.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#70 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

If this updates in stores, it'll be the 37th of 45 days for me since I bought a blue one for my kid. I got it at Best Buy when they had the free Mario game, which is already the $30 difference. I'm gonna just act coy and see if a) the cashier will even attempt it, and b) even if I don't get the full amount back, I'll be happy w/ whatever I get. Don't really care since I need Mario 64, which was the one I choose..still pretty crappy that it dropped so unexpectedly.
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#71 doodofdoods

doodofdoods

Prinny Powered

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Start lifting some weights woman. And if you're a fatty, eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more.
Posted Image

#72 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

Start lifting some weights woman. And if you're a fatty, eat less, eat healthier, and exercise more.

This.

Also, the guy who said games look worse on the XL than the DS and DSi is talking out of his butt.

#73 DeathBringer

DeathBringer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

Umm games look the same on Dsi Xl then DS.

Same Rez.

Plus Ds has many more great games then the competition.

#74 GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Same Rez.

More games. Then yes. More great games, is all preference. While I enjoy the library of games I have on the DS, I easily prefer the PSP's library as it has more to offer me. It is all a matter of opinion of course, and either system has a nice set of core games that no gamer should miss.

I'm pretty pumped for the 3DS myself. I already have credit built up to purchase one, but I have to see the thing in my hands first before committing to a purchase. 3D movies/games haven't done much for in the past except for make me sick, so I may not be able to handle the 3DS. I hope that isn't the case, as I really want it right now.

#75 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

Some people don't get the hint that when their posts are reported, posting the same items again are going to get deleted like they were before.

Keep the fanboyism out of the thread, please.

#76 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Awww Shrike - why'd you delete my post? I was PROMOTING the DS's library of games in a DS deal thread....

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#77 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

I also thought confoosious post was pretty infromative, and not so much fanboyism

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Titanfall  :360: Batman: Arkham Origins   :ps3: Ni No Kuni    :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (FC-0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#78 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, I need a clarification. I thought fanboyism was jumping into a DS thread and saying how great the PSP is and that DS owners are idiots.

I was just helping people on the fence decide. Cause 1) I love the DS and 2) this is a good deal.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#79 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Same Rez.

OK one more time since someone saw fit to delete my SINGLE post which has relevant information about the DSi XL resolution:

http://gizmodo.com/5...bly-not-for-you

I don't want to spend too much time guessing as to what demographic would prefer a larger screen that has the same size resolution—which just makes for larger pixels and NOT a sharper image.

As stated, the XL's screen is just bigger than the DSi's screen. It's not noticeably better or brighter. It might be a tiny bit whiter than the DSi we have, but we're not sure if that's just due to age, or that the color is just ever-so-slightly more white. In any case, it's negligible.

Each individual pixel in the 256x192 panel is just bigger. Practically speaking, it makes everything a bit hazier and a bit blurrier, but the screen is larger, though not so large that it actually makes a difference in gameplay. Your eye just needs to move slightly further when you have to look from one place to another.

Edited by chimpmeister, 06 September 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#80 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

Uh oh....

87688.png

Playing: :xb1: Titanfall  :360: Batman: Arkham Origins   :ps3: Ni No Kuni    :3ds:-Pokémon X, Zelda:ALBW (FC-0447-7073-4536)

http://www.looksneat.com/topic/Gaming/

#81 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Some people don't get the hint that when their posts are reported, posting the same items again are going to get deleted like they were before.

Keep the fanboyism out of the thread, please.

I deleted my double post immediately after Daz mentioned it. What's the problem with pointing out that the larger screen has an issue? It IS relevant for people considering the XL, as I did before I saw the games actually running on the larger screen?

#82 Ccl

Ccl

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

@ Gizmodo review: Slightly related, but Jason Chen is a tool. If you read all of his reviews, you'll see that he tries real hard to be the "I'm smarter and cooler than you" guy and has no credibility to what he says.

I know, tough to make what I said sound objective because it's a reply to a bad review of his, but seriously, if you read him up, you'll need to punch someone soon afterwards.

In regards to the XL, I bought it because I upgraded from a phat. It was thinner (but longer), had 3-4x the battery life, was much brighter (DS -> Lite upgrade), and had a much bigger screen. Some Gamestops run both side-by-side so you can see the difference. I highly recommend the XL for any pre-Lite owners. For Lite and DSi owners though, it's harder to justify the incremental upgrades

#83 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

I deleted my double post immediately after Daz mentioned it. What's the problem with pointing out that the larger screen has an issue? It IS relevant for people considering the XL, as I did before I saw the games actually running on the larger screen?

Your posts are trying to be factual, though they're so skewed, it's ridiculous.

People can certainly look on the Internet for opinions of the DSi XL's screen.

#84 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yay, my post got deleted too. First time on CAG. Awesome.

#85 thisjustanother

thisjustanother

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

frys electronics has the ds lite on sale today only for 100 bux, worth getting? or wait for the price drop and pick up the dsi xl

#86 DeathBringer

DeathBringer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Psp has games? Maybe 3-4 new ones per year.

Yes I own a PSP and like the games I own.

#87 axaznguitony26

axaznguitony26

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

frys electronics has the ds lite on sale today only for 100 bux, worth getting? or wait for the price drop and pick up the dsi xl

well when the 3ds comes out then I think that's when Dsi XL will have a price drop...

Watch nintendo create 3ds lite and 3ds XL that would confuse people thinking it will not have cam so it might be called 3dsi:hot:

#88 speedy5044

speedy5044

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

GOD DAMN IT! I waited 6 years to buy a DS system and I JUST bought a DSi XL from amazon.com 3 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet but it won't let me cancel it. Can I return it unopened and get a full refund? Or will Amazon refund me the credit?

#89 Vitality X

Vitality X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

Psp has games? Maybe 3-4 new ones per year.

Yes I own a PSP and like the games I own.

This year has been great for the PSP sofar. With Ys, Lunar, Peacewalker, Persona, Birth by Sleep, Valkyria Chronicles 2, etc. Though, in previous years there hasn't been much. Can't wait for the new Parasite Eve.

#90 crewj

crewj

from peru to cebu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

GOD DAMN IT! I waited 6 years to buy a DS system and I JUST bought a DSi XL from amazon.com 3 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet but it won't let me cancel it. Can I return it unopened and get a full refund? Or will Amazon refund me the credit?

have you not seen this thread??! i would have waited for the drop and then got the dsi