Halo Wars at Best Buy $9.99

Tim7890

CAG Veteran
I went to my local Best Buy and picked up Halo Wars for $9.99. It was in the Xbox 360 section not in the clearance bin. Also it is not for the platinum version.

I've been to three BBs in the last month or so, and they've all had the old, non-PH versions marked at $9.99, and the newer, PH versions for $29.99.

So, I'm inclined to believe this is a nation-wide price... but you have to be lucky enough to have some old, original copies still in stock. I ended up grabbing the last copy in Columbia, MO about a week ago after my friend recommended it. He said he thought it was worth $30; so I ran back up to BB where I got it for the $10.

If you can find it the game is more than worth it. I saw a few in my area the other day. I've already owned the game for quite some time so I told my friends about it.

Yea, it's $10 at my local BB as well, although the Platinum Hits version comes with the DLC, so if you want the whole package, you still end up paying $30.

Huh, I might check this out tomorrow at my local BB since I need to return a few items and put down a preorder for Reach

Not a bad game, easy-going fun. Nothing like Starcraft, much simpler and less intense. Enjoy the story and the graphics. Warthogs are still fun to drive even at tiny size :)

I picked up the regular version of Fable 2 for $9.99 as well. Looks like BB is dropping the price on all of the original versions that have been rereleased with DLC as a Platium Hit.

Dang, I'd buy this for $10, but I don't know if it's worth a trip out. Hate that this had to be Ensemble's last game.

Too bad too that it couldn't have been a PC exclusive, and been a full game rather than what they tried to do with this. I don't even care about Halo but a sci-fi themed RTS from Ensemble would have been really cool :whistle2:/

Blew my mind when they were closed-I figured they had a sure thing going, with either the second or third most successful RTS, and never a bad game.

Anyone try using TRU's week two Halo coupon on this? Even though it's super YMMV, so idiot manager might approve a free game lol.

So everyone's doing the Reach/Wars combo? You'd think BB would wise up and think about a bundle of some sort to deplete some stock of that game...

Went through Wal-Mart yesterday and they had price dropped Halo Wars
both PH and non-PH to $24.95 down from the $29.99

TRU doesn't seem to be getting any more and it appears that way with BB too, I wonder if it's being discontinued.

[quote name='gamerdogbert']Not a bad game, easy-going fun. Nothing like Starcraft, much simpler and less intense. Enjoy the story and the graphics. Warthogs are still fun to drive even at tiny size :)[/QUOTE]

Definitely. If you're looking for in-depth RTS experience, look to the PC. But this is a wonderful example of how a RTS game can be done correctly on the console. Rather than trying to cram a PC control scheme into the layout of a gamepad, they simply build the game around the pad itself. I'm guessing if you're not a big fan of the Halo series, you might not have as much as fun, but I still think the game stands on its own.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Definitely. If you're looking for in-depth RTS experience, look to the PC. But this is a wonderful example of how a RTS game can be done correctly on the console. Rather than trying to cram a PC control scheme into the layout of a gamepad, they simply build the game around the pad itself. I'm guessing if you're not a big fan of the Halo series, you might not have as much as fun, but I still think the game stands on its own.[/QUOTE]
Agreed on all fronts - I can't do the PC RTS thing...I don't have the patience for the micromanagement, planning, and multitasking skills you need to excel at those, but I enjoyed this game. Definitely worth 10 bucks, probably worth 20. As said above, if you're into the mythology it enhances the experience significantly.

I mean, I still had minimal effectiveness as far as "strategy," but it was fun enough just building up a massive, unstoppably army that would then go out and roll over everything. On normal difficulty, anyway. Managed to finish the campaign in a little over a week, without really even playing it a ton. Didn't bother going into multiplayer, I wouldn't stand a chance.

One Best Buy in my area has almost all of the older Halo games for $9.99 now and Halo Wars is one of them. The Best Buy that is close to me doesn't even have the older Halo games.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Agreed on all fronts - I can't do the PC RTS thing...I don't have the patience for the micromanagement, planning, and multitasking skills you need to excel at those, but I enjoyed this game. Definitely worth 10 bucks, probably worth 20. As said above, if you're into the mythology it enhances the experience significantly.

I mean, I still had minimal effectiveness as far as "strategy," but it was fun enough just building up a massive, unstoppably army that would then go out and roll over everything. On normal difficulty, anyway. Managed to finish the campaign in a little over a week, without really even playing it a ton. Didn't bother going into multiplayer, I wouldn't stand a chance.[/QUOTE]

See I like the base building though. I like my RTS easy, which many aren't, but something like Starcraft I really love the single player where I can built up this fun base and units.

EDIT: Games like Halo Wars that largely remove that (or PC stuff like Relic's been doing) kind of focus on my least favorite part of RTS :whistle2:D Heck, I'll play a game with all base building and no combat (that's a sim type of game basically LOL) but I don't want to play a game that's just clicking little units around a map fighting guys.

console rts just isn't a good combination in my experience

unless you do a lot to make it controller/system friendly

[quote name='MSUHitman']Which Ensemble did with Halo Wars. It's the best RTS you'll ever see on a console most likely.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, just as I mentioned before. They did a great job of building the game up around the platform it is on.

I'm curious about it and would like to play it, so I can't declare this the winner until then, but so far Pikmin is by far the best console RTS I've played. Truly built around the controller, to the point where a lot of people don't even realize it's an RTS.

[quote name='Wolfpup']See I like the base building though. I like my RTS easy, which many aren't, but something like Starcraft I really love the single player where I can built up this fun base and units.

EDIT: Games like Halo Wars that largely remove that (or PC stuff like Relic's been doing) kind of focus on my least favorite part of RTS :whistle2:D Heck, I'll play a game with all base building and no combat (that's a sim type of game basically LOL) but I don't want to play a game that's just clicking little units around a map fighting guys.[/QUOTE]

have you tried a kingdom for keflings? its a downloadable xbla game. its pretty much an rts with no combat. i had fun with it and even my wife liked it. i would recommend you try the demo.

[quote name='chaddyp']I picked up the regular version of Fable 2 for $9.99 as well. Looks like BB is dropping the price on all of the original versions that have been rereleased with DLC as a Platium Hit.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up Fable II PH for $9.99, although they had to re-adjust it in the system. Probably helped that they had no non-PH versions though.

[quote name='AquaKnight']console rts just isn't a good combination in my experience

unless you do a lot to make it controller/system friendly[/QUOTE]Halo Wars is actually a console RTS done right, though its dumbed down a lot, its still a excellent game!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I'm guessing if you're not a big fan of the Halo series, you might not have as much as fun, but I still think the game stands on its own.[/QUOTE]

I had never played any Halo besides a couple of matches from the Halo 3/Crackdown Beta and I really enjoyed Halo Wars. As others have said, it's no Starcraft, but it was fun on its own. Heck, it made me actually a little interested in the Halo universe. I'm still not a midnight-launch-for-Reach type person as I'm just not that into FPS games, but Halo Wars at least showed me that there is a bit of interesting fiction surrounding the Halo series.

This thread convinced me to bid on a regular version of Halo Wars on Ebay. I've been wanting this game for a long time and my local best buy is always sold out of these great deals. So anyway, I went ahead and bid $10 for the game. I lost the auction because the game sold for 20...wtf?

Good game... and it's true: Good RTS games can be made on consoles.

This game and some Wii games has proven that:

• :360: Halo Wars
  • :wii: Little King's Story
  • :wii: Dawn of Discovery
  • :wii: Wii Play Control Pikmin

I got this about two weeks ago. it was the platinum version with the extra maps. it cost $30 but I had the RZ certificate to bring it down to $20, money well spent

This is one of those rare cases when I'd actually want the Platinum Hits version. I already have the game, but I'd double dip for the DLC.

Is this a nation wide sale? & does the game need to have some sticker or something saying its $9.99. Wouldn't mind picking this up for $10.

None of my local BB's seem to have any non-PH's in stock, and their website doesn't either (save for the used ones). This is definitely YMMV.

I'm gonna check out my local Best Buy tomorrow and hopefully get this. I just got Reach, but I think I can use a little more Halo in my life.

If anyone finds an extra copy of this and wants to hook me up with one in trade for my Reach DLC codes (Bonus Spartan Recon Helmet, UA Multi-Threat MJOLNIR Mark 5V B Armor) shoot me a PM. Wars is the only Halo game I'm missing, and now I'm getting the itch to play it.

The stores that I shop in (BB, FM, WM) are in discount bin limbo.
Their stock hasn't moved in a long time.

Good thing that I found deep discount. They've had some really good
deals.

bread's done
Back