3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2739 replies to this topic

#541 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:57 AM

Not sure how reputable PCRICHARD is, but they have the following for $15. Anyone know of any coupons:
http://searchresults...ords-3d_blu-ray

- Piranha 3D
- Monster House 3D
- Open Season 3D

I'm tempted to get Piranha

#542 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

Not sure how reputable PCRICHARD is, but they have the following for $15. Anyone know of any coupons:

- Piranha 3D
- Monster House 3D
- Open Season 3D

I don't know if it was just a problem with our PS3 or TV, but Piranha's 3D was all jacked up. We only got 5 minutes in and had to shut it off. It's almost like the 3D was backwards, made me feel like I was crosseyed.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#543 WalkinPneumonia

WalkinPneumonia

Professional Cheap @$$

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

- Piranha 3D
- Monster House 3D
- Open Season 3D

I ordered my TV from PCRichard. I had an issue with it, called them up and they sent me a new one with no questions. So in short I was pretty happy with them.
Posted Image

#544 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't know if it was just a problem with our PS3 or TV, but Piranha's 3D was all jacked up. We only got 5 minutes in and had to shut it off. It's almost like the 3D was backwards, made me feel like I was crosseyed.

I felt the same way during the credits--they hurt my eyes. Afterwards, it looked fine.

Check here for Up-to-Date list of Current/Upcoming 3D BD titles (since this forum no longer has Wiki Posts)

kyool.jpg

#545 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

I felt the same way during the credits--they hurt my eyes. Afterwards, it looked fine.

I hoped it was just the credits, but even into the movie, when the piranhas first emerge, it still wasn't right. I tried tweaking the TV settings, but that only made it worse :lol:. Everything else we've watched in 3D has been perfect, so who knows...

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#546 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Get a ps3 its alot better

Oh yes! That's next on my shopping list. :D

My husband went out and bought like 10 blu ray movies yesterday, and our blu ray player isn't even here yet. Two of them are in 3D (Tron Legacy and How to Train Your Dragon), I can't wait to test them out. I'm thinking about picking up Drive Angry, as I already watched it in DVD and enjoyed it. Plus I have a few other movies backlogged, as I've only been buying movies that are DVD/blu ray combos over the past year in anticipation of getting a future blu ray player.

Its a freaking shame that Avatar is an exclusive right now.

And I must have spent half a day yesterday combing through our DVD collection, trying to decide what DVDs should be replaced with blu ray versions. Maybe other posters here could answer this question--is there much of a point to getting blu ray versions of movies and tv series made before the '90s (before cameras went digital)?
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#547 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

And I must have spent half a day yesterday combing through our DVD collection, trying to decide what DVDs should be replaced with blu ray versions. Maybe other posters here could answer this question--is there much of a point to getting blu ray versions of movies and tv series made before the '90s (before cameras went digital)?

Definitely. Most Movies and TV shows are made on film which has a much higher resolution than even the current 1080P standard, so you'll see a marked improvement compared to DVD's. Check out some reviews for some older movies, some show comparisons between the DVD and Blu versions'

DVD Beaver has great comparison screens (and solid tech details) for a lot of movies: http://www.dvdbeaver...ilm/reviews.htm

Edited by ssjmichael, 28 September 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#548 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

Ok, I've to open up the old question regarding Best Buy's Lion King 3D again...

$29.99
http://www.bestbuy.c....king&lp=5&cp=1

$34.99
http://www.bestbuy.c....king&lp=4&cp=1

Supposedly there's a BB exclusive for Lion King, a Lunchbox Tin! So, my question is, is the $34.99 the version that comes with the Lunchbox Tin? Or the $29.99 version as well (the Lunchbox Tin is packed separately)?

#549 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

Ive watched piranha 3D several times. looks good to me

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#550 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Ok, I've to open up the old question regarding Best Buy's Lion King 3D again...

$29.99
http://www.bestbuy.c....king&lp=5&cp=1

$34.99
http://www.bestbuy.c....king&lp=4&cp=1

Supposedly there's a BB exclusive for Lion King, a Lunchbox Tin! So, my question is, is the $34.99 the version that comes with the Lunchbox Tin? Or the $29.99 version as well (the Lunchbox Tin is packed separately)?

It's the $34.99 one, but it's going to be $29.99 next week (it's in the BB ad, see the stickied thread) and you can take an additional $5 off of that with the Disney coupon.

#551 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

It's the $34.99 one, but it's going to be $29.99 next week (it's in the BB ad, see the stickied thread) and you can take an additional $5 off of that with the Disney coupon.

Actually, it will be 34.99 pre-coupon. The ad list provided has the wrong price. In the slideshow with pics of the ad it states 29.99 after coupon and below it says 34.99 w/o coupon.

#552 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

Actually, it will be 34.99 pre-coupon. The ad list provided has the wrong price. In the slideshow with pics of the ad it states 29.99 after coupon and below it says 34.99 w/o coupon.

Oh okay. I didn't see the actual ad, was just basing that on what was written. That makes more sense since it was 39.99 a few days ago and BB now shows it as on sale for $34.99

#553 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

And the reason we all bought our 3D TVs: December 20th - Glee: The Concert Movie 3D

#554 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

Sweet, thanks SSJ and darkdaze, I'll get the $34.99 version of Lion King :)
Glee 3D? Better not suck like some other 3D concert movie :lol:

#555 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

My Drive Angry 3D shipped early! Good times.

Also, we took our daughter to Lion King 3D this week and the 3d was well done. I was worried that this after-the-fact 3d would detract from the original tone of the film (à la colorization of B&W), but I think it was balanced nicely and used appropriately. So I am excited about the 3D :br:

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#556 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

Saw some interesting drops on Amazon.co.uk:

Piranha 3D 5.49 BPS or ~$8.60 USD

Gnomeo & Juliet 3d
8.99 BPS or ~ $14.05 USD

A Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventure 3D 12.30 BPS or ~$19.22 USD (Pricey but the reviews say the 3D is fantastic.)

And :lol: The Lovers' Guide 3D - Igniting Desire (not posting a link for this since it seems to be an NC-17/X equivalent). 9.79BPS ~$15.30 USD Amazon reviews are 4.5/5 stars.

Note: None of these are specifically listed as region free- if anyone can verify functionality I'd love to know especially about Piranha 3D

Shipping is not free to the US, but when ordering multiple titles, it is usually cheaper than buying domestic and- in many cases- you get a cool alternate cover.

My Trade list:

#557 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Saw some interesting drops on Amazon.co.uk:

Piranha 3D 5.49 BPS or ~$8.60 USD

Gnomeo & Juliet 3d
8.99 BPS or ~ $14.05 USD

A Turtles Tale: Sammy's Adventure 3D 12.30 BPS or ~$19.22 USD (Pricey but the reviews say the 3D is fantastic.)

And :lol: The Lovers' Guide 3D - Igniting Desire (not posting a link for this since it seems to be an NC-17/X equivalent). 9.79BPS ~$15.30 USD Amazon reviews are 4.5/5 stars.

Note: None of these are specifically listed as region free- if anyone can verify functionality I'd love to know especially about Piranha 3D

Shipping is not free to the US, but when ordering multiple titles, it is usually cheaper than buying domestic and- in many cases- you get a cool alternate cover.

I believe Piranha 3d is the old style 3d as it says on the cover "includes 2 pairs of 3d glasses".

#558 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

I believe Piranha 3d is the old style 3d as it says on the cover "includes 2 pairs of 3d glasses".

From the description:

Includes both anaglyphic (requiring the use of the included 3D glasses) and stereoscopic (for 3DTVs & blu-ray players) 3D versions of the film, as well as a 2D version.

From what I;ve seen many EU/UK releases do this.

My Trade list:

#559 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Piranha 3d also says Blu-Ray 3D, and the description does says stereoscopic. But it also says Region B/2.

#560 darkdaze73

darkdaze73

Serious Fisherman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

From the description:

From what I;ve seen many EU/UK releases do this.

yeah, just looked into it on another site and saw that. did not check the region aspect though.

As far as A Turtles Tale, I saw one review and it says Region B in the specs. Only thing I could find on that as far as region coding.

#561 movie_mike

movie_mike

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

According to www.digitalbits.com, looks like Best Buy will have exclusivity rights to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt II. The site mentions that they *may* get rights to Part I in 3D as well, but that's a bit fuzzy as it's been reported that Sony may get that as well for a new "bundle".

#562 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I wish they'd stop with all these exclusives and bundles. If they want the format to take off, they need to make these films generally available, and at reasonable MSRPs. $30+ (after discounts) for one bare-bones, movie-only BD is absurd! (I know, I'm preaching to the choir :))

#563 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Are how to train a dragon and aliens vs monsters and megamind only 3D and blu-ray and DVD no DC

#564 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Are how to train a dragon and aliens vs monsters and megamind only 3D and blu-ray and DVD no DC

Yes, they're 3D BD + 2D BD + DVD. No DC.

#565 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Yes, they're 3D BD + 2D BD + DVD. No DC.

Actually, it's 3D/2D BD + DVD. There are no extras (i.e. none of what's included on the 2D BD release).
I hate these over-prices bare-bones releases. I would have rather had 3D BD + 2D BD with extras and no DVD. I hope they have a BOGO sale on these titles (or a general release) soon as I won't pay $30 for a bare-bones release.

#566 MachineElf

MachineElf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

Is there a consensus as to which 3D bluray has the best 3D? i am getting a new TV soon and would like to pick up a showcase 3D blu.

#567 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:41 AM

Is there a consensus as to which 3D bluray has the best 3D? i am getting a new TV soon and would like to pick up a showcase 3D blu.

most people will say Avatar.

#568 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

Actually, it's 3D/2D BD + DVD. There are no extras (i.e. none of what's included on the 2D BD release).
I hate these over-prices bare-bones releases. I would have rather had 3D BD + 2D BD with extras and no DVD. I hope they have a BOGO sale on these titles (or a general release) soon as I won't pay $30 for a bare-bones release.

I'm never sure if it's a 2-disc as you stated, or a 3-disc until I get a chance to check the disc count.

As it's only at Best Buy and sometimes, they're not accurate, it's always better to get a review to see for certain.

I think the Blu-Ray.com review confirms that it's a 2-disc, and I agree, I hate the bare bones releases like we've been getting previously and these ones.

At least Disney is doing well with their 3D combo packs because they're not bare bones.

#569 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

I'm never sure if it's a 2-disc as you stated, or a 3-disc until I get a chance to check the disc count.

As it's only at Best Buy and sometimes, they're not accurate, it's always better to get a review to see for certain.

I think the Blu-Ray.com review confirms that it's a 2-disc, and I agree, I hate the bare bones releases like we've been getting previously and these ones.

At least Disney is doing well with their 3D combo packs because they're not bare bones.

I've seen all three movies in-store and it says right at the top of the front cover that it's only a Blu-ray 3D disc and a DVD, I think that's confirmation enough... I mean, why would Dreamworks not advertise including a separate 2D Blu-ray disc?

I also agree that $30 for a barebones release is not worth it... maybe BB will do something similar to their Archer Season 1 Blu-ray sale and more than halve the price. That would be nice.

I must also say that I'm worried that the BB exclusive Deathly Hallows Parts I and II 3D discs will be single-disc affairs, which means (since I already have the however-many-disc BB 2D version of DH1) I'll have to buy two copies of Deathly Hallows Part 2 if I want to have both extra features and a 3D version of the movie... but I'll probably do it no matter what. I've gotta have the whole collection!! ;)

#570 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

The Paramount 3D BDs are:
3D/2D on one disc.
DVD on another