3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2743 replies to this topic

#1531 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Plus, did he think people were NOT going to see Dark Knight Rises just because it wasn't in 3D?

Actually, this is the main reason I haven't seen it yet--don't feel any immediate need to see it if not in 3D!

#1532 exceed19

exceed19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I still prefer a well made 3d blu, over a 3d theater experience any day of the week. My flagship sony tv produces a better image than what a theater has to offer IMHO.

Just purchased RIO and journey, waiting to watch them this weekend. did anyone pick up the sharks 3d IMAX at BB for 14.99 (after trade up program?) I LOVE sharks.. and should be buying it soon.

#1533 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

I read that 3D is just a fade from an article on askmen...Opinions!?

http://www.askmen.co...eath-of-3d.html

World wide 3d is very popular. That's the main reason why the new GI Joe got delayed.

#1534 Havokscry

Havokscry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

World wide 3d is very popular. That's the main reason why the new GI Joe got delayed.

I thought the main reason was that Paramount (and Hasbro) took a huge hit from Battleship (no thanks to The Avengers) and didn't want to risk G.I.Joe carrying the same fate. Two box office flops within a couple months would be bad. I think the 3D conversion excuse gave them a reason to push it back.

As for 3D, there's an IMAX close to me that charges $15 regardless if it's in 3D or not. I always feel like I'm getting a little extra with it being in 3D.

Edited by Havokscry, 28 July 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#1535 msu89dawgs

msu89dawgs

Are you threatening me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

I still prefer a well made 3d blu, over a 3d theater experience any day of the week. My flagship sony tv produces a better image than what a theater has to offer IMHO.

Just purchased RIO and journey, waiting to watch them this weekend. did anyone pick up the sharks 3d IMAX at BB for 14.99 (after trade up program?) I LOVE sharks.. and should be buying it soon.

The Real3D in my theater looks great, or as great as the source material allows. My TV is very sharp, but I still prefer to watch 3D movies on Blu-ray through my Epson 1080p projector and 100" screen. Not nearly as sharp as the TV, but as good as the theater, and no crying babies, people talking, texting, etc. Last movie I took my kids to see a movie, a woman behind us actually took out her phone and used it as a flashlight to try to find something she dropped. Wait until the movie is over, stupid...

iconbluraypng.png - 626
DVD - 229

#1536 Sk

Sk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I thought the main reason was that Paramount (and Hasbro) took a huge hit from Battleship (no thanks to The Avengers) and didn't want to risk G.I.Joe carrying the same fate. Two box office flops within a couple months would be bad. I think the 3D conversion excuse gave them a reason to push it back.

As for 3D, there's an IMAX close to me that charges $15 regardless if it's in 3D or not. I always feel like I'm getting a little extra with it being in 3D.

For sure Battleship really worried the crap out of Paramount. I'm thinking they thought they could put out any crappy movie and make a fist full of cash like transformers does. I know GI Joes 2 tested really poorly with audiences. Apparently nearly every one from the first movie dies within the first 20 mins or so. That really pissed off audiences. Also the movie had all sorts of plot holes and passing issues. I heard they cut a bunch of sh!t out and added in some new scenes. Paramount said they did the 3d conversion to increase foreign box office revenue but that makes little sense to me since we're the only country really into 3d.

#1537 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

For sure Battleship really worried the crap out of Paramount. I'm thinking they thought they could put out any crappy movie and make a fist full of cash like transformers does. I know GI Joes 2 tested really poorly with audiences. Apparently nearly every one from the first movie dies within the first 20 mins or so. That really pissed off audiences. Also the movie had all sorts of plot holes and passing issues. I heard they cut a bunch of sh!t out and added in some new scenes. Paramount said they did the 3d conversion to increase foreign box office revenue but that makes little sense to me since we're the only country really into 3d.

Other countries are way more into 3D then the US. China would be a good example of that.

#1538 MetalPinata

MetalPinata

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I managed to snag Three Musketeers 3D for $8.60 & The Final Destination 3D for $10.09 during Hastings current sale online. Neither of them are particularly exciting to me, but it's hard for me to pass up 3D blus when they are that cheap. (I had to add a third item to get the 30% off from their promotion, but I just added something cheap into the mix)

#1539 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

I managed to snag Three Musketeers 3D for $8.60 & The Final Destination 3D for $10.09 during Hastings current sale online. Neither of them are particularly exciting to me, but it's hard for me to pass up 3D blus when they are that cheap. (I had to add a third item to get the 30% off from their promotion, but I just added something cheap into the mix)

I thought they each had very good 3d.

#1540 MetalPinata

MetalPinata

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I thought they each had very good 3d.

Awesome, in that case I'm even more excited for these to get here.

#1541 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Other countries are way more into 3D then the US. China would be a good example of that.

And amazon.de is loaded with older 2D movies converted to 3D Blu-ray (though not sure why anyone would bother--most 3D TVs or BD players will do this to existing BDs and probably give the same results--I'm sure they aren't spending a fortune meticulously converting these films to 3D for blu-ray.)

#1542 bilbobagins3

bilbobagins3

HHH Buries Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

This was not in the ad and Best Buy doesn't show it as this price online, so it may be YMMV, but my store had Chronicles of Narnia VOTDT 3D for 19.99 so only 14.99 after U&S coupon.

#1543 xhonzi

xhonzi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

And amazon.de is loaded with older 2D movies converted to 3D Blu-ray (though not sure why anyone would bother--most 3D TVs or BD players will do this to existing BDs and probably give the same results--I'm sure they aren't spending a fortune meticulously converting these films to 3D for blu-ray.)

I found I, Robot... which other ones?

#1544 noone13

noone13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

This was not in the ad and Best Buy doesn't show it as this price online, so it may be YMMV, but my store had Chronicles of Narnia VOTDT 3D for 19.99 so only 14.99 after U&S coupon.

Mine did as well so it shouldn't be YMMV. Though today was probably the last day at that price.

#1545 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

I found I, Robot... which other ones?

I, Robot is actually a real conversion being put out by Fox. The ones I'm talking about are things like a lot of the Syfy channel Saturday movies, Daybreakers, and some other older movies I've never heard of that seem like direct-to-video titles.

#1546 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

Friend came over tonight and we watched Legend of the Guardians with my daughters and myself and he had to take the glasses off due to the 3D effect being "too strong" for him.

I did notice that the depth was quite a bit stronger for that film, but in his case he stated that the quick transition from the scenes with more depth to scenes without as much depth really caused issues for him.

First time that I had heard that from someone watching a movie at the house to this point. Anyone else run into issues like that? It hasn't caused any issues for me, so it was just interesting to hear that.

#1547 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks to Greenboom on the Blu-ray.com forum for this price drop list.

These are 3D bluray prices after subtracting the $5 upgrade and save coupon.

Captain America 3D 19.99
Thor 3D 19.99
Immortals 3D
Tin Tin 3D 14.99
Drive Angry 14.99
Hugo 3D 14.99
Transfomers Dark of the Moon 14.99

I'm definitely going to pick up Hugo 3D for $14.99. I'd love to get a few more if I had the BB credit or the money this week.

#1548 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Kung Fu Panda and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs are also $14.99 after the coupons as well.

Those along with Hugo and Tin Tin will make my daughters happy.

#1549 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Kung Fu Panda and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs are also $14.99 after the coupons as well.

Those along with Hugo and Tin Tin will make my daughters happy.

I assume you mean KFP 2 3d or has 1 dropped?

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#1550 jazzman

jazzman

Carpe diem

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...nsons&lp=1&cp=1

Don't forget Meet the Robinsons is also $15 after coupon.

#1551 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

I assume you mean KFP 2 3d or has 1 dropped?

Nope. 1 has 2 versions and one of them is now 19.99 as well.

Sku is 4169627.

#1552 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Bought Hugo 3D today for $14.99 after coupon. It said "available" at my store on Bestbuy.com, but I bought the last copy. They must have sold a couple other copies today.

They only had 2 copies of Tin Tin and Transformers 3. I'd like to buy both of those, but I've already spent too much during this upgrade and save.

#1553 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Nope. 1 has 2 versions and one of them is now 19.99 as well.

Sku is 4169627.

Still a little unclear here. Is Kung Fu Panda 1 showing up as $19.99? I know Kung Fu Panda 2 was $19.99.

Thanks.
Posted Image

#1554 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Still a little unclear here. Is Kung Fu Panda 1 showing up as $19.99? I know Kung Fu Panda 2 was $19.99.

Thanks.

Yes, search the SKU Psunami posted above:

(thanks BTW) and you'll see the 3D single disc.
Or Direct link.

It's currently back-ordered online but in-store PU is available at most stores (around me anyways).

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#1555 MetroScotty

MetroScotty

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Just wanted to weight in on this. I got a copy of A Better Tomorrow 2012 3D Blu from the UK, and I believe this conversion was done by one of the same companies that do the German conversions. It was entirely unwatchable. They simply ran it through some algorithm that worked occasionally, but more often than not, some random red coat from the background was suddenly popping out of the TV, or someone's head was horribly misshapen. I can't imagine any of those are worth a cent.

#1556 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

anyone bought the daybreaker in 3D how is it and where's the best place to buy it at

#1557 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

anyone bought the daybreaker in 3D how is it and where's the best place to buy it at

If you look at the Amazon.de reviews, most say the 3D is terrible and you'd get better results just letting your TV/player do 2D->3D conversion. Seems to be the general opinion of those older films that weren't shot in 3D and weren't professionally converted for theatrical release in 3D. These are just rushed out to capitalize on the 3D craze (wish we had more of a craze here). But flooding the market with this garbage, they are also causing people to question the value of 3D in general.

#1558 frpilot

frpilot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

i wonder how films like irobot in 3d will be.

#1559 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

i wonder how films like irobot in 3d will be.

I know some people care about native vs. converted 3D. I have no problems with converted 3D as long as it is done properly. I'm looking forward to checking this out as I'm sure Fox spent a lot more time and money converting it to 3D for the Blu-ray than those German companies do. However, I'm not going to purchase the $100 robot head edition.

#1560 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Avatar Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition finally comes to retail in October

Posted Image

Despite being one of the most widely viewed 3D movies, and the highest grossing film of all time, viewers still have not been able to buy Avatar on Blu-ray 3D by itself (without paying high prices to resellers) due to an exclusive pack-in deal with Panasonic, but that will change this fall. Fox just announced the Avatar Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition will debut globally October 15th, and release in North America October 16th. There's no word on any extra special features, as producer Jon Landau indicates in the press release (included after the break) it will contain the theatrical cut of the flick inside special packaging. Originally, the delay in releasing the movie widely on disc in 3D was blamed on a lack of 3DTVs in homes. We'll see if the prospect of watching the $2.7 billion juggernaut "the way it was meant to be seen" according to director James Cameron, nudges more buyers towards a new display this fall. Check below for a video clip of Cameron sharing the news to the movie's fans on Facebook, plus an extra treat that didn't make it into the movie.

ofCaw30o_oo

PANDORA COMES TO LIFE LIKE NEVER BEFORE WITH
THE ULTIMATE HOME VIEWING EXPERIENCE AVATAR ON BLU-RAY 3D

Over 33 Million Facebook Fans Receive Exclusive Global Announcement as the Film That Became a Worldwide Phenomenon Arrives on Blu-ray 3D in October

LOS ANGELES, CA. (August 14, 2012) – The world of Pandora has never looked better as over 33 million AVATAR Facebook fans were the first to learn of the upcoming release of the AVATAR Blu-ray 3D Collector's Edition, debuting globally beginning October 15, releasing in North America October 16, from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. A home entertainment experience like no other, for the first time ever, fans will be able to welcome James Cameron's global box office sensation into their homes in stunning 3D high-definition.

"3D television is the future of home entertainment," said James Cameron, the Oscar® winning Director. "I'm a huge proponent of the technology and very pleased that AVATAR can be viewed in the living room the way it is meant to be seen."

"As the number of homes with 3D televisions continues to grow, we thought it was important to bring the biggest 3D film ever right into your living room," continued Jon Landau, Academy Award® winning Producer of Avatar. "This is the only way fans should experience the world of Pandora and this release offers the highest picture quality possible. "Previously only available to consumers through an exclusive deal with Panasonic, the two-disc AVATAR 3D Blu-ray Collector's Edition will feature the original theatrical release and be available in all-new collectible packaging. Seen by more than 310 million people worldwide, the Oscar and Golden Globe winning epic is the highest grossing film of all time, taking in more than $2.7 billion in worldwide box office. It is also top-selling Blu-ray disc of all time.

About Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company. Representing 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions on DVD, Blu-ray Disc Digital Copy, Video On Demand and Digital Download. The company also releases all products globally for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.
###

Engdaget