Halo 3: ODST $22 @ Amazon

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!
The DS version, of course ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-ODST-Xbox-360/dp/B001HWB68K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286909030&sr=8-2

I kind of liked Reach so picked up Halo 2 on PC this week (and it's got points!), and just stumbled across ODST for $22-that's the lowest I've seen it at least. It and Halo 3 have held $30 price points pretty well.

No idea how good it is, but Reach is a solid single player game.

EDIT: Halo 3 is a more normal $28. I'm thinking I'll pick it up in Toys R Us' sale. For someone who allegedly doesn't like Halo this is hilarious that I'm buying 4 games in 1 month.

Honestly, having played both Reach and ODST, for anyone who hasn't played either, save up your money for Reach. Better graphics, refined multiplayer, better story, and it will receive a bunch of future support as well. Halo 3 multiplayer is done and won't receive further upgrades. Save the money and just buy Reach if you have to choose.

[quote name='etcrane']Honestly, having played both Reach and ODST, for anyone who hasn't played either, save up your money for Reach. Better graphics, refined multiplayer, better story, and it will receive a bunch of future support as well. Halo 3 multiplayer is done and won't receive further upgrades. Save the money and just buy Reach if you have to choose.[/QUOTE]

Two things. First of all I don't think anyone is buying ODST for Halo 3's multiplayer. The game's been out for 3 years, I think anyone interested in Halo 3's multiplayer jumped on that ship some time ago. Second: ODST is absolutely worth owning for any Halo fan. Personally I think it has a considerably stronger campaign than Halo 3 and, even though Reach has this as well, Firefight is absolute blast and worth spending some time with.

If you're a casual fan who just wants the multiplayer then by all means buy Reach and forget ODST exists. But if you're interested in playing one of the better campaigns in the series this game is totally worth it at $22.

O and just as a final note: Should you ever find yourself interested in playing Halo 3's multiplayer again down the line for old time's sake, ODST does come with every map pack. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Wolfpup do the Halo 2 PC online multiplayer servers still work?

ODST is a single player campaign I can appreciate and the firefight was good. But I'd still recommend saving up for Reach - It's pretty much the be all end all of Halo's multiplayer despite some balance issues, and the single player is pretty solid (though Halo 1 still has the best SP campaign to me.).

I guess I wasn't even aware till I saw it mentioned here that ODST has anything to do with Halo 3. My son just started playing Halo and I started him off on Halo 3 multiplayer using some 48 hour gold codes I had. I mean, I got Halo 3 pretty cheap ($4.99 HWV used game sale - oh, how you will be missed!). But I might be tempted to get ODST so he can have the map packs. And FWIW, he had no problem getting into Halo 3 multiplayer games when he tried it out so it is hardly dead. I mean, weren't people still playing Halo 2 online till MS pulled the servers? I know he played Star Wars Battlefront II all the time - it really sucks they pulled the servers since there is no current-gen version of that...

Crazy that as of the 9/20 chart, Halo3 is still 3rd for players. For $22, you;d get all the packs and ODST. That's crazy. I am enjoying Reach, but will probably send it to Amazon this week, since MOH is sitting at home waiting to be unwrapped. I figure it'll hold me over until COW:BO in a month :)

I never could get into ODST's single player campaign. I have loved playing Reach for the last month, though. I've put in some pretty good time (for me, anyway - I have a 2 year old son, so I get very little gaming time, anyway)...

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wolfpup do the Halo 2 PC online multiplayer servers still work?[/quote]

Interesting question. I think it's using modern Live? So if they did shut it off it's probably just to match the Xbox version. I'll try to remember to check once I get it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wolfpup do the Halo 2 PC online multiplayer servers still work?[/QUOTE]
The servers are still up.

Yep, this game has a great campaign, if not the best campaign of the Halo series IMO. To me, it was fun being the little guy.

I'm not saying Halo 3's multiplayer is dead by any means. Simply that Reach is a superior experience and that Halo 3 won't see any additional updates as far as new maps or modes. My post was meant for people who haven't played either game and only want one as a good intro to Halo. In that case, I would whole heartedly say Reach is superior in almost every regard.

I think it really depends on what kind of online experience people are looking for. Lots and lots of folks are not in love with Reach, mainly due to the armor abilities and weapon bloom. Personally, I love Reach, and the fact that the MP is not entirely dependent on twitch reflexes. But I know plenty of people prefer a more straight-up experience, and they definitely would like Halo 3.

So far ODST has been my favorite Halo campaign. As far as halo games go it feels a bit like DLC (like the the best DLC ever made). Despite it feeling like DLC had it not been a "halo" game nobody would be complaining. It's just Halo games are normally packed w/ a ton of MP value.

I wasn't into halo 3, it just didn't do it, probably since I hadn't played 1 or 2. Reach campaign was awesome, changed my mind. Getting ODST on goozex as we speak(already shipped), or else I would have jumped on this deal. Is halo 2 one of the games that will work on all 360's? also, will halo 1(Combat evolved)?.....I'm wanting to get them cheap used for the story so I can put everything together.
EDIT: nevermind, just googled for the list, yes both will.....or should at least

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I think it really depends on what kind of online experience people are looking for. Lots and lots of folks are not in love with Reach, mainly due to the armor abilities and weapon bloom. Personally, I love Reach, and the fact that the MP is not entirely dependent on twitch reflexes. But I know plenty of people prefer a more straight-up experience, and they definitely would like Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

'splain please?

My son kind of gave up on Halo 3. He said the MP was too hard - I guess he was getting killed too much. It did take us a long time to figure out how to start a match up too - very confusing menus and not at all intuitive (vs, say, Warhawk). But I guess that it is supposed to match you with like-level players? So presumably he was in with begininners. I can tell you that he can hold his own in Warhawk but was overwhelmed with Halo 3. So if there is some reason he might like Halo Reach better please let me know ;).

I should also say that he really likes Warhawk for the ability to jump in and out of vehicles. Does Halo MP even have vehicles? I know you drive those Warthog things in the campaign but I know nothing about MP. All I've ever played is Halo Wars, which is more my style ;).

I've been a huge Halo fan ever since the original on Xbox and just couldn't get into the single player in ODST. I didn't even bother to finish it.

I enjoyed Reach way more. I played through the single player in one sitting and have already put more time into its multiplayer than I put into Modern Warfare 2 over the last year, and almost as much as I put into Halo 3.

[quote name='io']'splain please?

My son kind of gave up on Halo 3. He said the MP was too hard - I guess he was getting killed too much. It did take us a long time to figure out how to start a match up too - very confusing menus and not at all intuitive (vs, say, Warhawk). But I guess that it is supposed to match you with like-level players? So presumably he was in with begininners. I can tell you that he can hold his own in Warhawk but was overwhelmed with Halo 3. So if there is some reason he might like Halo Reach better please let me know ;).

I should also say that he really likes Warhawk for the ability to jump in and out of vehicles. Does Halo MP even have vehicles? I know you drive those Warthog things in the campaign but I know nothing about MP. All I've ever played is Halo Wars, which is more my style ;).[/QUOTE]

Just to throw in my two cents about Halo 3 MP ... it's disappointing because frankly, when I tried getting into it again when ODST came out ... it's one of the most aggressive, rude and newbie unfriendly communities on LIVE.

I can kind of see the same thing happening with REACH, but for some reason the Halo 3 community is just awful. Like ... incredibly 'douche'y ...

At least with Reach, I feel like the playing field is leveled a bit with the new "powers" that are included. Being able to disappear or fly or go into an invulnerable mode give you a leg up on the average Halo player who is just good at running, gunning and jumping in circles before they tea bag you.

odst is an awesome game that lacks matchmaking in firefight, but if you have friends then its acceptable. i like single player more than halo 2 and 3. if you want to experience full halo 3 multiplayer , you should get this game.

bread's done
Back