• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

shipwreck, you the man!

#32 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

I agree with Wombat that Resident Evil had HORRIBLE controls. Moving around should not be a constant exercise in frustration.

RE 4 didn't.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#33 rogXue

rogXue

Bringer of Death

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Every time Wombat cracks a joke God cries a little... and then kills a kitten. I keed! Good show guys. I wish it wasn't so expensive to travel overseas. I would LOVE to travel. Keep up the good work!

#34 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I was afraid Wombat was referring to my Mikami tweet but thank gawd he wasnt. I got the joke. ;)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#35 JohnDM

JohnDM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Whew, I thought I would be without any podcasts at work today, thanks for pulling through!

#36 jamestheaussie

jamestheaussie

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Great show.

I don't know how insightful it is... but... one wonders if Tokyo has burned to the ground numerous times, yet now they have more advanced toilets does that mean the West could benefit from burning a few cities to the ground and rising from the ashes like a Phoenix (a phoenix who likes a fresh posterior)?

#37 Goemar

Goemar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

They should do reverse Trick or Treat here...

#38 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Yes Cagcast. Listening now.
Cool show so far. Like the japan recap
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#39 pbaz11

pbaz11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Great show and I really missed it last week.

I really enjoyed the talk between Cheapy and Shipwreck regarding Japan. I would love to hear what Shipwreck bought over there and if there's anything he found super interesting or if research was made on a must buy over there.

Love the Rock Band 3 talk and Cheapy didn't say if he got it on the cheap for that bundle he talked about the week before. Did the company come through? Also a little sad that Wombat gave little input on the Rock Band discussion but what a dis on Cheapy for the pro mode comment. No love Wombat, it's just that Cheapy was really happy with Rock Band and really enjoyed it. You could tell in his voice how excited he is for it. Can't wait to play it myself.

Great show like always and don't forget to review on itunes :)

#40 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

Holy crap; my Dad had that TI computer in the Cosby commercial.
Posted Image

#41 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

I enjoyed show... as always. You guys rated the PS3 at 3 (or 4) in terms of your level(s) of satisfaction, and gave a reason why... which is fine... its each of your opinions and I do respect your opinion(s). Is it really the system that's the problem... or is it a matter of your own preference (of xbox 360)? You each raised some legitimate issues with the PS3; However I believe that if those problems were fixed (or never existed) you level(s) of satisfaction wouldn't be any different. [I can ignore the long PS3 update downloads for updates, just like how Cheapy ignored the failure rate of the 360. ]

I give the PS3 a 4.
The main thing that disappoints me with the PS3 is how developers treat the multi-platform games. They develop a game that's up to the 360 standard (of graphics, and sound, etc) and then the port for the PS3 is usually sub par. Its like every multi-platform game on PS3 is an xbox 360 game. I wish that developers would try to get the most out of the PS3 hardware, and if that means a better looking or sounding game, then so be it. In the end, it falls on Sony, because they allowed developers to create sub par software for their platform.

Here's an example:
http://www.vg247.com...ostbusters-dev/

The PS3 version of ghostbusters turned out to be sub par, and in the article the developer is indicating that basically they were dumbing down the PS3 version for the sake of the 360... which makes me feel that as much as everyone loves the 360..I wonder if it its holding back the overall quality of games (on the PS3)?
Posted Image

#42 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

That's changed a lot, though. Vanquish lead on the PS3 and is the slightly better version.

But since the PS3 came out 12 months after the 360, its hardware should have been powerful enough to have almost every multiplatform game look better on the PS3, just like almost every multiplaform game in the last generation looked better on the Xbox. Blame Kutaragi for that.

#43 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Kinect will bomb.

Wait until xmas, the early adopters, $500 million of marketing and the sheep are done. Then commence detonation.

#44 Shibooyah!

Shibooyah!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

Referring to the beginning comments of the cast, sometimes people just take video games too seriously.

Japanese culture.

#45 Fuzi0n

Fuzi0n

"What's a Nubian?"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

I stopped playing RE4 really fast because the controls were so awful, so bad I couldn't give them a 2nd chance.

#46 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

That's changed a lot, though. Vanquish lead on the PS3 and is the slightly better version.

But since the PS3 came out 12 months after the 360, its hardware should have been powerful enough to have almost every multiplatform game look better on the PS3, just like almost every multiplaform game in the last generation looked better on the Xbox. Blame Kutaragi for that.

I forgot about him... he was the dumb ass that got the thing priced at 600 dollars. The ps3 was a 600 dollars system with its main set of games (multiplatform) which came from a 300-400 dollar system.
Posted Image

#47 stevew2607

stevew2607

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

Insightful Comment:

I spent sometime in Yokosuka and purchased a capsule toy which was a little plastic dog for my wife and only in Japan would they paint a little pink butthole on it.

Keep the CagCasts coming!

#48 Metalh123

Metalh123

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

First off thanks for a great site and podcast guys. CAG is one of the few sites I get on daily if you miss a day on CAG you can miss some great deals or finds fellow CAG'ers report. I just wanted to mention that for some reason i feel like if Wombat is getting left out on some of these podcast. There allot of talk back and forth between Cheapy D and Shipwreck but Wombat has been MIA. I just think you guys work best when all 3 are in the fight together, Oh also thanks again for the great E3 party at the Broadway Bar it was fun to get to meet all 3 of you guys and get to talk.

#49 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

360 a 3.

PS3 a 2.

Wii a 4.

I played the Wii the most. Mostly for the NIntendo stuff and much of the time playing with my kids and wife. Played it quite a bit with friends the 1st year or so when WiiSports was the rage. Wii controls are the best. Pointing functionality adds alot to console gameplay. Motion controls when used right are an excellent addition. And you still have what is basically a gamepad - analog stick, dpad and 8 buttons. Best of both worlds. Hands apart is also more comfortable. Wii interface (is) the best. Only customizable interface. Least amount of noise interface. Glad kids can't talk to others online. Don't care to talk to or hear 99% of online gamers myself. Best games for playing people in the same living room as you. I like my Battlefield, but almost never break that out for guests. Quietest, smallest and cheapest console.

360 I bought in July when they finally released a real revision. But only play Battlefield:BC2 on it. Don't care much for other games. No time to get into them or feel like I've played most of them before on the pc with better gameplay and shittier graphics. 360's $50+ annual fee to play online sucks. The dashboard is one big series of advertisements. The Avatars are lame wannabees. No style to them. Only really got a 360 because MS screwed up pcgaming and it got to be too much of a hassle. And Battlefield isn't on the Mac natively. Could care less for achievements. Still like my Battlefield on the 360. Maps are small and player numbers are low, but a bit amazing they've mostly captured that pcgaming experience on a console.

Ps3 I've had in the home a few times, but never kept it around. Almost got it instead of 360 for Battlefield. Part of me wishes I did because no fee to play online and you can use any usb/bt headset afaik. But the 360 gets the better version of multi-platform games. Never had much interest in BR. Too expensive. DVD quality is fine by me. Ps3's software is a bit tedious for me.

Now I will say the Wii was more of a 5 for me early on. And in the last year or so has become more of a 3. The main reason is no one else got on board with Nintendo and started making quality games for it. I just don't think western game makers understood the console. Most are too eye-candy focused. And making the same game that came out last year focused.

Also Nintendo slacked off too much. Nintendo is too afraid to really follow through on some of their ideas. They like to lay the groundwork and then move on and lay some more groundwork for something else. Their system is full of groundwork. Balance board, Channels, WiiSpeak, Motion+, Zapper, WiiConnect, ....Some nice ideas, but where's the follow through? Where's the second really kool game to use the balance board? Where's something that really takes advantage of WiiConnect? Where's another Zapper lightgun game? Why haven't we seen more channels? The photo channel could have had and even sold a few sequels.

OK none of this really surprises me. It's Nintendo. And even with those downfalls I still enjoy playing most of Nintendo's games which is mostly why the Wii comes out ahead of the other two consoles.

#50 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

I stopped playing RE4 really fast because the controls were so awful, so bad I couldn't give them a 2nd chance.

When did you play it? On release that game was a landmark title, and got numerous game of the year awards; it's control scheme wasn't broken.

The control scheme definitely isn't one that stands the test of time though now that we have played competent third person shooters with very doable move and shoot mechanics.

I don't care what anyone says though; the biggest problem with RE5 was the co-op gameplay and the lack atmosphere. They need to go back to a dark game that's much more scary and so they need to drop this stupid thing where they aren't trying to escape anymore and are trying to crack the case. I hate that shit! Just GTFO!!!

They need to go back to fucking zombies, limited ammo and inventory space, and giving the player a sense of urgency! Resident Evil 4 and 5 shouldn't have even been called Residente Evil; they were good, but just weren't anything like the first three games in any aspect other than the characters.

#51 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

in regards to the playstation phone there are a few things that could happen(or a combination thereof)

1. sony and other developers can develop applications specifically for this device - just because it runs android doesn't mean that the applications have to run on any android device. sony can implement their own market to sell these games, to keep them seperate from the normal android market. people are raving about the quality of games on WP7, and sony has just as much muscle as MS to get developers onboard for their platform. if done properly, this could be a really strong way for Sony to differentiate their Android phones from everyone elses ("i could get a motorola phone but then i wouldnt be able to get Playstation games like i could on the sony")

2. the game controls could be used on already existing android games.. this is usually accomplished by simulating a keyboard IME . this is how Wii Remotes interface with Android games.

also, there is already a small market for keyboard covers that "convert" hardware android keyboards to gamepads.. essentially they block out all but the buttons you would use for games(and give you bigger buttons to push). one guy even tore his hardware keyboard apart to permanently make it a game controller.

#52 Foggen

Foggen

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Wasn't the PSPgo form factor based on a failed Sony phone called Milo or somesuch? Looks like the Playstation Phone is just reusing that body, assuming it's not just a fake.

#53 ChuckNoLuck

ChuckNoLuck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Awesome show! And I would like Vanquish, yes.

#54 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Might just be because I've been watching more movies than playing games lately, but the PS3 has been my go-to system, especially with the new disc-less, 5.1 surround, 1080p (YMMV) Netflix app. Combine that with my excitement over Kirby and the new Donkey Kong Country game and it looks like my 360 might be cooling its metaphorical heels this holiday season. Although, maybe if I had a copy of Vanquish...?

#55 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Another comment about the ps3 built in batteries:

Cheapy.. if your battery is dead, remember you can get power from a laptop too, that way you're only slightly tethered.. just put your laptop on a coffee table or on your couch while you play.

or you can buy an ac/usb adapter for like 2 bucks anywhere and plug into your wall socket.

#56 Wesley J

Wesley J

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

LOL Tank Controls are awesome!! People seem to hate on those old school RE controls, but I don't mind them. They added to the survivor horror experience, in that you had to be on your game and know where you were at, at all times ! Even though the camera angles could screw you over! Anyways, great show guys! Keep up the good work!

#57 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

When did you play it? On release that game was a landmark title, and got numerous game of the year awards; it's control scheme wasn't broken.

On release it was also a GameCube exclusive, and its controls worked perfectly with that control pad because they were designed around that control pad.

And that control pad had the best left analog stick of any controller but it also had the worst right analog stick. So it's not hard to understand why a third-person shooter developed solely for the GameCube between 2001-2004 used a system where you moved with the left analog stick, then held down a shoulder button to also aim with the left analog stick.

Posted Image

Edited by Curufinwe, 29 October 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#58 strife18

strife18

Finger Ling-ling Good!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

Great show guys! You totally sold me on RockBand 3 with the Keyboard...Now to try to convince my wife that the $130 keyboard bundle is a worthy investment to "learn a musical instrument".
Oh and wombat, you got dangerously close to the new Kotaku review scheme when talking about who should care/buy it for Fallout 3: NV. We'll let it slide this time, but stick to the 3 word CAG-style in the future.
Posted Image

#59 WankerJist

WankerJist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

in regards to the playstation phone there are a few things that could happen(or a combination thereof)

1. sony and other developers can develop applications specifically for this device - just because it runs android doesn't mean that the applications have to run on any android device. sony can implement their own market to sell these games, to keep them seperate from the normal android market. people are raving about the quality of games on WP7, and sony has just as much muscle as MS to get developers onboard for their platform. if done properly, this could be a really strong way for Sony to differentiate their Android phones from everyone elses ("i could get a motorola phone but then i wouldnt be able to get Playstation games like i could on the sony")

2. the game controls could be used on already existing android games.. this is usually accomplished by simulating a keyboard IME . this is how Wii Remotes interface with Android games.

also, there is already a small market for keyboard covers that "convert" hardware android keyboards to gamepads.. essentially they block out all but the buttons you would use for games(and give you bigger buttons to push). one guy even tore his hardware keyboard apart to permanently make it a game controller.

So I think there's kind of two schools on this Sony phone: people who want more of a phone (apps, touch controls, texting) and people who want more of a portable gaming console.

My problem with all of this is that I don't want anything extra. I just want one less device in my pocket. If I had a phone that could play PSP/DS quality games, but could also call, text, surf the web, and listen to music on, I would be in heaven. As it stands my options are: carry separate devices for those functions (my phone, my iPod, and my PSP or DS) or buy a superphone (Android/iPhones) that compromise on one or more of those functions and be tied to a crappy network.

BUT....I do think Sony stands a pretty good chance of making this happen if it is going to happen, compared to Apple, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

#60 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

C'mon Cheapy. You like the fact that the 360 uses fucking batteries as a point to why it's better than the PS3, and the PS3 is "inferior" because of it? What is this? 1996? :rofl: Dude, you're grasping at straws there on that point. It would help if you actually turned on the PS3 every few months. I shouldn't have to be searching around my house for fucking batteries if I want to play my games for an extended period of time on the 360. It sucks the life out of them after a couple days. I love the fact I can just charge my controller through the system on the PS3 without buying extra charging stations and/or batteries like on the 360.

Here's my run down. I can't force myself to give anything a 5.

PS3: 4

The PS3 is my main system of choice. I like the controller better, in terms of feel and stuff. Free online multiplayer is nice. I also like the PS3 exclusives more than what the 360 offers. The hardware is more reliable too, and I have more options in regards to the HD. The download times are just awful and incredibly slow, no matter what you do. Downloading a demo could take several hours. By the time you're done with it, you don't care anymore. The system updates are the worst because they more often than not add nothing to the table. It seems like every time you pop in a game there's an update. It's a drag. Sometimes it feels like you're doing more updating/patching than playing actual games.

I also don't like the fact that PS3 multiplatform games sometimes get the shaft and have issues that the 360 version doesn't.

360: 3

Hardware is awful. It's too damn loud, and I'm just waiting for the red ring. Controller uses batteries which is super lame. Not enough hard drive space (I'm using 20GB system), and because MS doesn't allow for third party HDs like the PS3. The 360 HDs are just a complete ripoff. I also don't like the fact you have to pay to play online multiplayer, when the PS3 does the same exact thing for free and there is virtually no difference between the two at this point. My downloads are even slower than the PS3's so I don't even bother with demos or anything from the Marketplace, which doesn't matter anyway because I have no damn space for them.

Very few must have exclusives at this point that's worth buying the system for. However, as a cheap ass, the games are generally cheaper on the 360 than the PS3. PS3 games never seem to drop, and the deals are always cheaper for 360 games.

I'm also leery of downloading anything for the 360 because of MS' handling of the original Xbox and how that stuff is just completely gone now. I think it's a huge issue that's never talked about. They still haven't said how they're going to handle 360 DLC and games down the line. We'll probably all just end up getting screwed over.

Wii: 2

I don't really play my Wii, but there's some great games on the system. I can't stand motion controls and I think it negatively affects a lot of games. I wish I could get into it, but I just can't.

On the RE1 controls, I never noticed it back in the day, but after about 15 years, they do pretty much suck. They're still amazing games, but sometimes those controls can get to you.

Good show guys.

Edited by Blackout, 29 October 2010 - 08:53 PM.